Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

a grain of salt... GI FO3 article leaked.

cares

Novice
the lack of a fully functional turn-based combat mode and a classic top-down perspective (first-person and over-teh-shoulder cam just don't work) exclude this effort from being a true Fallout sequel...

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Brios says he's got confirmation of this being real from 2 different people with the mag.

Sounds better than I hoped, but the combat sounds a bit of a mess. Still, I agree with others here, we gotta drop that shit and pressure them on the quests and roleplaying now. I'd rather play a game with shitty combat but awesome dialogue and quests (PS:T) rather than a game with great combat but not much else (ToEE).

elander_

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Hasnt anyone learned that half-actiony combat in RPGs simply *does not work*! Look at the long list of RPGs that have a shitty interface or generally poor combat. They should implent real FP combat or TB, none of the pseudo crap.

This is just a sort of bullet time. It will not influence RT players in any way. I bet that a good CS player can overcome any limitations and neglect any advantages given by this system easily.

Spacemoose said:
- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.
the fact that they mention THIS, but not that you can acutally have different ends to a quest leads me to believe that its "three rails to the same place" deal again. so, empty choices without consequences

That depends on how you read it. We also had two ways to play the game in Oblivion. We could do the Thieves guild quests with stealth (only 7 quests however) and we could do the rest of the game with hack-and-slash and no other choices. If this is what they are talking about then they deserve a x-large nega cock up their asses.

If they are saying that most quests have twitches and optional paths to factor other skills besides combat on the solution of the quest then it's a lot better.

But what i really wanted is multi-solution quests (not multiple endings) that affect other factions, a decent reputation system and good reactions.

(*) Karma was an ok reputation system but it was centralized on the player. A better solution would be a reputation table where we have some info about what every faction thinks about every other faction.

Excrément

Arbiter
Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

that's completely retarded.

otherwise it sounds interesting, doesn't have a clue about the combat system, I need to see this in work to make a judgement.

multiple endings is the best news so far.

User was nabbed fit

If this is true, then it's not as bad as Oblivion with guns, as many expected. We'll have to wait and see as far as combat is concerned... I'm sure there's more to it than what's written there.

If Beth is so determined to make it about combat (as some believe), then the system will have to at least be moderately enjoyable.

sah

Liturgist
Cthulhu said:
sah said:
Claw said:
It just sounds stupid enough. They probably thought calling it V.A.T.S. was pretty clever.

Like G.E.C.K.?

Is the acronym G.E.C.K. related to any clevah pun? "Gecko", lulz?

Well, is V.A.T.S. related to any clevah pun? Because I don't see it.

I bet that a good CS player can overcome any limitations and neglect any advantages given by this system easily.

With an Xbox pad? I don't think so.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
sah said:
Cthulhu said:
sah said:
Claw said:
It just sounds stupid enough. They probably thought calling it V.A.T.S. was pretty clever.

Like G.E.C.K.?

Is the acronym G.E.C.K. related to any clevah pun? "Gecko", lulz?

Well, is V.A.T.S. related to any clevah pun? Because I don't see it.

Well, the VATS were the containers in FO 1 people were dipped in in order to change them into mutants.
So indeed the Pun is retarded, what should this vault-tec targeting system have to do with Vats?

sah

Liturgist
I know what vats are, I just don't see any relation (and therefore no pun). Just like G.E.C.K. wasn't related to geckos in any way (that I know of).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some here are really retarded, better get used to it, sah. It's the trade-off of having a few really smart people on this forum.

Longshanks

Augur
The combat system sounds worse for Fallout than a iso-FPP+RTWP like in Planescape. Any real time+FPP combat system introduces plenty of player skill, particularly for dodging and aiming.

It's the first real info we've heard about the game, and some of it sounds downright silly.
Your father removes his mask and reveals features like you selected in character creation. :?

I'm sure they'll continue saying the things most Fallout fans want to hear, the things you can't really see till you play the game: multiple endings (how their handled is more important, see Deus Ex for crappy MEs), many choices in quests, different ways to play the game depending on type of character.

They'll definitely add all of the above to some degree, it's the degree that's important. I'm really not looking forward to all the shit we're going to hear from Pete and the rest, about how awesome the game is because you have so many choices, then playing the game and seeing that the choices that are there are purely cosmetic or just plain stupid.

I really think they're going to try selling the "gameplay" and roleplaying on this one, to try and convince Fallout fans it is a true sequel. Judging by those on the Fallout 3 forums, many won't be difficult to convince.

Micmu

Magister
There's no outdoorsman because the game is true to it's roots and set in a single city (remains of DC).

Nedrah

Erudite
assholes_thumb.jpg

Koby

Scholar
"I kill you with slow motion death" takes on a whole new meaning.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sovy Kurosei said:
Nine to twelve endings? No level scaling? This doesn't sound like Bethesda.

Yes. And it surprised me positively. At least they seem to have learned [I doubt it, though] fro mtheir faults in Oblivion, namely the SUCKY LEVEL SCALING!!!
And they try to make more a Fallout than a Elder Scrolls game, story-wise, as it gets multiple endings. Yay.

Well, that's what they say now. Remember what they said during OB's development? It sounded good back then, too. So it can all be blatant lies. They lied before, they'll lie again. Just like Morte.

Araanor

Liturgist
The hell, if even half of this ends up being true in the end we'll be looking at a better game than Oblivion. Someone at Bethesda HQ is showing a detectable level of awareness.

That isn't saying all that much, of course.

sah

Liturgist
Longshanks said:
It's the first real info we've heard about the game, and some of it sounds downright silly.
Your father removes his mask and reveals features like you selected in character creation. :?

Because we get this info from a gaming journalist. He didn't exactly explain how combat works, but he HAD TO mention this little Facegen gimmick. And "The Fatman".

Mr Happy

Scholar
mister lamat said:
i'm thinking they used the van buren skill list

Actually, I would like to see the speech skill split into deception and persuation. Multiple speech skills would be pretty nice. But I doubt bethesda would bother with something like that.

Raapys

Arcane
Uh, I'd say this is pretty much exactly what was expected( except several different endings, but I'm guessing that's mostly just empty words ). We've got First Person and we've got real-time combat. That's definitely not the Fallout3 I want. It could probably do well enough as a spin-off, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom