Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

40 minutes of Skyrimjob at Quakecon

baronjohn

Cipher
It does a lot like Oblivion. Look at how enemies slide back when you hit them, or how they shine when you cast a spell on them. Just two minor details I noticed that look exactly like In sweet Oblivion.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
So looks like this with settle somewhere betwee Morrowind and Oblivion as far as enjoyment goes. That's a huge gap BTW.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Menckenstein said:
So looks like this with settle somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion

the perfect balance for hardcore roleplayers who enjoy morrowind and the people who got started in rpgs with oblivion

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
baronjohn said:
It does a lot like Oblivion. Look at how enemies slide back when you hit them, or how they shine when you cast a spell on them. Just two minor details I noticed that look exactly like In sweet Oblivion.

I noticed the glow when on fire too, but that's hardly enough to say it looks like Oblivion. I played a shitload of Vanilla Oblivion and this is way, way above it. The animations are pretty good this time around, though the xbox's shitty frame rate still makes them look bad. I think that for the future they should focus more on improving frame rate than on pretty scenery that has no actual effect on gameplay.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Downloaded, but I couldn't get past the annoying commentary and fans. Stopped watching after 5 minutes (skipped the intro). Looks like a prettier version of Oblivion and not much else. Combining spells is cool. Uh, there are shadows and the animation doesn't suck?

God dammit, are other PC gamers really like that? I feel fucking embarrassed.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
villain of the story said:
though the xbox's shitty frame rate still makes them look bad.

:retarded:

And somehow, it's only Bethesda who suffers from XBox's shitty frame rate regarding animations,

It's not. I bought the 360 version of Divinity and the animations look a lot shittier than Skyrim.

as there are plenty of beautifully animated games out there.

Skyrim animations look just fine when processing power doesn't matter:

theelderscrollsv_skyriymsq.gif

The same applies to the video at the beginning too, when he's just walking around and for some of the less intensive fights.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sounds like Oblivion.... Why would anyone want that?

220px-PC-NamelessOne.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Ed123 said:
cboyardee said:
The dungeon design was way, way better than Oblivion or Morrowind. It was strange how it transitioned from area theme to area theme (bandit area - spider lair - catacomb - ancient ruin) but that could be for the demo, or it could be that particular dungeon. They used space well and there were interesting things and paths everywhere. They definitely weren't randomly generated.

The first dungeon in Oblivion (Ayelid ruin across the lake) was a lot more varied and interesting than most of the other dungeons in the game. I'm sure the rest of Skyrim's dungeons will be total shit.

Vilverin (the dungeon you're referring to) was more interesting due to bits of lore laying around (IIRC a necromancer was hiding there) but not more varied as far as environment is concerned. It was pretty much the standard ayleid ruin tileset.

His Dudeness

Augur
The video was unbearable, who can get that exited about a videogame :? .

All in all, it's the same as always from bethesda.

No concept of class or subtlety, the ready spell animation looks over the top and unnecesary. Combat is still the weakest point of the series.

Graphics could be better, since they are capped to work on old hardware.

The end product will be even worse, since all that is shown and scripted won't work correctly.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
sea said:
God dammit, are other PC gamers really like that? I feel fucking embarrassed.
Gamers in general are like that, regardless of Platform.

PC gamers seem to have the perception that they're above such behaviour for some reason though. :lol:

Dogar

Novice
This gamespy article has some interesting tidbits: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1186740p1.html

Personally I'm kinda heartened by this info. The bit about the courier and the prisoner make it sound like Bethesda is actually trying to populate the countryside with interesting events and encounters, rather than just a shitload of free roaming imps.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I still can't believe they wasted a skill on pickpocketing. I'm hoping they actually did something with it in terms of quest content, but other than that it seems like an odd choice.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
my brian hurts said:
(As a quick aside, the player to my left thought "hide armor" was an option to have your character appear in street clothes instead of battle armor. So when she chose the various pieces of hide armor, she was apparently confused that her character wasn't more naked. Todd Howard graciously acknowledged that the ambiguity was Bethesda's fault, and not hers.)
:hmmm:

Exmit

Scholar
LOOKS DECENT BROS , I'M SURE I WILL HAVE 300 HOURS OF FUN ON MY XBOX AS TODD PROMISED :M

anus_pounder

Arcane
Skyrim : New....errr..Vegas. I would probably play an obsidian made skyrim expansion. Though I don't see why beth would let obsidian make a skyrim expansion. (or why obsidian would want to)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I don't see why beth would let Fagellone anywhere near TES either. They'd have to have truly gone full retard.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Actually watched the entire video right now. Which is pretty fucking stupid of me considering I don't have the faintest interest in this game. Ah, sweet procastrination. Anyway, it's just as I expected. Oblivion 2.0. A pretty hiking simulator with crap animations and frankly pretty shit combat. Interface also looks lame and world interaction has still not gone much beyond what it was in Morrowind. Meh, meh, meh. At least communication with npc's seems to be a bit more involved than the walking encyclopedias that were in the previous ES games.

Do like the worldmap. Got to hand it to them, that thing looks neat.

PS: People who yell and scream during these kind of things should be gassed. Fucking Christ, what a retard monkeys.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Excidium said:
my brian hurts said:
(As a quick aside, the player to my left thought "hide armor" was an option to have your character appear in street clothes instead of battle armor. So when she chose the various pieces of hide armor, she was apparently confused that her character wasn't more naked. Todd Howard graciously acknowledged that the ambiguity was Bethesda's fault, and not hers.)
:hmmm:

:retarded: :retarded:

This is...

This... this...

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

No, I just cannot comment on that with a coherent sentence. It's just too retarded. :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom