Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

deamento

Scholar
in a few weeks you can buy the HD version (still the same aesthetic but it should look better graphically which is never bad) so i recommend you wait for it.
also, i have played a bit of divine divinity, the combat isn't all that great but it's fun interacting with the world and the people in it.
PS: the first dungeon is awful and don't forget to quicksave!
HD version? Do you mean the GOG version that supports widescreen or is there an actual HD version coming out?
Larian is dmaking a HD version of it, this is from their kickstarter page
Digital add-ons
  • Divine Divinity Digital Version (HD): add $5

Uh I'm pretty sure that's the same version currently available. It's like how you could get Quest for Glory in the Hero-U Kickstarter, they're not making anything new.
is it? i have it on GoG and it doesn't look any different from when it came out (resolution etc.)

Gozma

Arcane
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please
One can easily qualify you in the following two words: dumbfuck detected.

We're gonna need a Belgian version of the potato emoticon now.

Yeah I was kinda suspecting there was a Witcher poland strong effect to this in central europeans but in my extreme politeness did not j'accuse.

deamento

Scholar
in a few weeks you can buy the HD version (still the same aesthetic but it should look better graphically which is never bad) so i recommend you wait for it.
also, i have played a bit of divine divinity, the combat isn't all that great but it's fun interacting with the world and the people in it.
PS: the first dungeon is awful and don't forget to quicksave!
HD version? Do you mean the GOG version that supports widescreen or is there an actual HD version coming out?
Larian is making a HD version of it, this is from their kickstarter page
Digital add-ons
  • Divine Divinity Digital Version (HD): add $5

No that is actually the original game with higher resolutions supported.
good to know, was hoping for some improvements (no clue what they would be) but i guess it's still nice to have

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Man, Divine Divinity is one kick-ass game.

Xenich

Cipher
Real programmers also sometimes think they can create a much better, nay superior wheel, better than all that were, since the beginning of time, if they just started from scratch. I know i do. The urge to Create instead of getting something insta ready from a shelf is sometimes hard to resist.
That said i can see the business case for developing your own in house engine. For that to succeed you need some good (=real) programmers though plus designers gifted with a considerable degree of foresight or a functioning crystal ball.

Correct. You are not going to get good results from your run of the mill developers developing in house. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by in today's "library" dependent market.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Unlike a lot of people here, I'm not nearly as excited for this game as I am for InXile and Obisdian's projects, but it still looks interesting. It looks like well done turn based combat, and hopefully the good parts of hiking simulators (finding cool stuff) without the bad parts (spending way too long just walking around in first person being expected to find console graphics impressive). Plus an open design to the world and quests instead of linear paths, linear quests, etc.

For me personally, DOS is my single most anticipated game, just because of the Editor. In a way is is almost FRUA2013. And when I get BETA access I am going to try and do one of Ray's FRUA mods with DOS and see how it works (I still need to ask for his permission though). I am still mildly curious on how Wasteland 2's editor will turn out. I kind of want to see someone do Wasteland in the Wasteland 2 engine.

deamento

Scholar
Unlike a lot of people here, I'm not nearly as excited for this game as I am for InXile and Obisdian's projects, but it still looks interesting. It looks like well done turn based combat, and hopefully the good parts of hiking simulators (finding cool stuff) without the bad parts (spending way too long just walking around in first person being expected to find console graphics impressive). Plus an open design to the world and quests instead of linear paths, linear quests, etc.

For me personally, DOS is my single most anticipated game, just because of the Editor. In a way is is almost FRUA2013. And when I get BETA access I am going to try and do one of Ray's FRUA mods with DOS and see how it works (I still need to ask for his permission though). I am still mildly curious on how Wasteland 2's editor will turn out. I kind of want to see someone do Wasteland in the Wasteland 2 engine.
FRUA2013?

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

FRUA2013?

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
FRUA2013?

heh that was a bad description, I should have said it is more like FRUA brought into the year 2013 (a full isometric cRPG with TB combat and editor) instead of the default 3D view of current FRUA.

Kirtai

Augur
I suspect that editor will be their secret weapon. Imagine if it pulls in the same size of modding community that Neverwinter Nights did.

I wonder if we'll see a split with sci-fi modders using Wasteland 2 and fantasy modders using D:OS.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm too unmotivated and probably not creatively skilled enough to make something cool with an editor, so that feature never seems like a big deal to me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Now all we need is a &^*$*&^#$%# TB Sci-Fi game with editor like DOS. Which technically could be done in DOS, but oh lawd the art assets required to pull that off... :(

Kirtai

Augur
I'm too unmotivated and probably not creatively skilled enough to make something cool with an editor, so that feature never seems like a big deal to me.
You can think of it as not so much "it comes with an editor" as "it comes with a scadload of free third party addons".

deamento

Scholar
is it? i have it on GoG and it doesn't look any different from when it came out (resolution etc.)

When it came out, the highest res it ran on was 1024x768
hmm that's why i don't see a difference, using 2 monitors (1 is 1920x1080 and one is 1024x768, don't have the money to buy a 2nd 1920x1080 monitor) i should stop being lazy and find out how to switch those screens >_<

deamento

Scholar
FRUA2013?

heh that was a bad description, I should have said it is more like FRUA brought into the year 2013 (a full isometric cRPG with TB combat and editor) instead of the default 3D view of current FRUA.
i have never played that game, how good is it?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
FRUA2013?

Read the FRUA thread.

Xenich

Cipher
For me there are 2 reasons for not using some 3rd party engine:
- no source code
- what if company that made it goes bankrupt or stops supporting it all of a sudden

If we would be interested in a 3rd party engine, it probably wouldn't be Unity for a game like this anyway.

Also: the mother of all hangovers.

Do you see/expect/hope Larian to license the engine to other devs?

When Bioware finally collapses and it's remnants will try to save themselves creating it's own dev company. They will license the engine from Larian.

What? Bioware hasn't already collapsed? Hell, they were dead years ago. Publishers have just been doing this with them:

Weekend-at-Bernies.jpeg

deamento

Scholar
FRUA2013?

Read the FRUA thread.
i should learn to check for details, didn't notice the hyperlink
also, thank you jaesun :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
ForkTong, I have a question.

I found this piece of information on Wikipedia:
In 2012 it was noticed that the source code of the remastered version 1.4 was lost because of a backup failure. Later released Digital Distribution versions are therefore based on the older 1.29 source code and incorporate less bugfixes than the last retail version 1.34a.
Does that mean the GOG version is actually a more advanced build (1.4) than the Divinity Anthology version?

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
What is now on Steam and GOG and larianvault.com and in the Anthology is the latest and last version, i.e. the one where we started supporting higher resolutions.

It is true that the latest source we have, does not have some of the bugfixes that were in 1.34, but most of them were fixed (again) and some were deliberately not fixed (glitches that made it to many walkthroughs for instance), while for others, we didn't always have time to find/reproduce/fix/test them.

I read a lot of shit about that not being cool, and I'm sure it ain't, but the bugs mentioned by those people seem to only happen in one in a million cases and I'd like to focus more on current dev. We did still fix a music bug in DivDiv last week, so tell me what other dev fixes bugs 10 years after release :)

Gord

Arcane
I read a lot of shit about that not being cool, and I'm sure it ain't, but the bugs mentioned by those people seem to only happen in one in a million cases and I'd like to focus more on current dev. We did still fix a music bug in DivDiv last week, so tell me what other dev fixes bugs 10 years after release :)

He, for some reason I seem to get hit by about every quest bug that exists in those DD versions... :D

Thanks for the music fix, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom