Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Was it smart to code an engine when you can license something like this?

Some company owners do it, because they don't want to trust their company's future, to the whims another company. Its all about having total control over the process, so you are certain of the outcome.

Xenich

Cipher

Some company owners do it, because they don't want to trust their company's future, to the whims another company. Its all about having total control over the process, so you are certain of the outcome.

Exactly. There is a time and place to use 3rd party (personally I think the only reason is when you are limited on time and money), but if you are planning an entire line of games for the future, it is more beneficial to use a proprietary engine that you have full control over. Using 3rd party always has a nasty way of sucker punching you or greatly limiting your choices (ie the 3rd parties decisions begins to constrain and dictate your development).

Mortmal

Arcane
Is this a unity engine game?

No. They have awesome programmers. Larian made that engine.

Divinity

ku-xlarge.jpg

Wasteland

600x-1

Most subtle trolling there :) 10/10

Nithrakis

Novice
They've said they're using the tech they've used for Div2, so it's Gamebryo.

According to Swen they created a brand new engine for these games (Dragon Commander & D:OS) but in an interview he also implied that some of the RPG tech is from earlier games. This is probably code for conversation systems, quest systems, specific algroithms, etc.

Programmers rarely throwout 100% of their previous work even when starting from scratch. Well, I never do. It would be a monumental waste.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Congrats Larian. This has quickly become my most anticipated KS project.

Now we just have to press gang some enterprising group of people into starting work on the obvious Ultima remakes.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Real programmers also sometimes think they can create a much better, nay superior wheel, better than all that were, since the beginning of time, if they just started from scratch. I know i do. The urge to Create instead of getting something insta ready from a shelf is sometimes hard to resist.
That said i can see the business case for developing your own in house engine. For that to succeed you need some good (=real) programmers though plus designers gifted with a considerable degree of foresight or a functioning crystal ball.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
For me there are 2 reasons for not using some 3rd party engine:
- no source code
- what if company that made it goes bankrupt or stops supporting it all of a sudden

If we would be interested in a 3rd party engine, it probably wouldn't be Unity for a game like this anyway.

Also: the mother of all hangovers.

Stabwound

Arcane
Funny when people start saying that using a custom engine is worse than building something with a Unity base. Give me a break. Look at how moddable they were able to make the game: supposedly you could create nearly any existing CRPG in the engine, including a full Ultima 7 remake. Edgy ones plz.

Angthoron

Arcane
Not to mention potentially selling the engine for others' use rather than buying someone else's license.

Tytus

Arcane
Everything is shit. Chris Avellone is god.

And because Avellone is working with Unity everyone has to. Right, Codex?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh. There's room enough for everybody. Larian can be the ObsidinXile of the East. :obviously:

Gozma

Arcane
Funny when people start saying that using a custom engine is worse than building something with a Unity base. Give me a break. Look at how moddable they were able to make the game: supposedly you could create nearly any existing CRPG in the engine, including a full Ultima 7 remake. Edgy ones plz.

Hey stab, you have taste, can you point me to what got you excited about this game? I heard about it, looked at the kickstarter, and saw the gorilla orcs and WoW style armor and blew it off. Then the Codex loved on it for a while and I looked again and it looked like it's for people that love opening boxes to find Diablo X of the Y junk items. Was there some combat video that let people overlook that kinda shit and say, "Oh they have to make it look like WoW, it's just business" and similar for the Diablerie or am I just totally out of touch with the Codex and no one else minds

Tytus

Arcane

Hey stab, you have taste, can you point me to what got you excited about this game? I heard about it, looked at the kickstarter, and saw the gorilla orcs and WoW style armor and blew it off. Then the Codex loved on it for a while and I looked again and it looked like it's for people that love opening boxes to find Diablo X of the Y junk items. Was there some combat video that let people overlook that kinda shit and say, "Oh they have to make it look like WoW, it's just business" and shit like that or am I just totally out of touch with the Codex and no one else minds

BUT, BUT!

Female orcs had a sexy figure and giant boobs! GIANT BOOBS, MAN!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey stab, you have taste, can you point me to what got you excited about this game? I heard about it, looked at the kickstarter, and saw the gorilla orcs and WoW style armor and blew it off. Then the Codex loved on it for a while and I looked again and it looked like it's for people that love opening boxes to find Diablo X of the Y junk items. Was there some combat video that let people overlook that kinda shit and say, "Oh they have to make it look like WoW, it's just business" and similar for the Diablerie or am I just totally out of touch with the Codex and no one else minds
I don't think the engine has much to do with WoW cartoon look.

Gozma

Arcane
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and NWN-level module making capabilities.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and NWN-level module making capabilities.

My head nearly exploded after reading that sentence.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

And they made a TB-RTS with the same engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom