Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Tytus

Arcane
Funny when people start saying that using a custom engine is worse than building something with a Unity base. Give me a break. Look at how moddable they were able to make the game: supposedly you could create nearly any existing CRPG in the engine, including a full Ultima 7 remake. Edgy ones plz.

Hey stab, you have taste, can you point me to what got you excited about this game? I heard about it, looked at the kickstarter, and saw the gorilla orcs and WoW style armor and blew it off. Then the Codex loved on it for a while and I looked again and it looked like it's for people that love opening boxes to find Diablo X of the Y junk items. Was there some combat video that let people overlook that kinda shit and say, "Oh they have to make it look like WoW, it's just business" and similar for the Diablerie or am I just totally out of touch with the Codex and no one else minds

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and NWN-level module making capabilities.
And they made a TB-RTS with the same engine.

Turn based real time strategy sounds like an oxymoron and it is. Dragon Commander is an RTS with TB strategy map like Total War series. Calling it TB-RTS sounds retarded.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For me there are 2 reasons for not using some 3rd party engine:
- no source code
- what if company that made it goes bankrupt or stops supporting it all of a sudden

If we would be interested in a 3rd party engine, it probably wouldn't be Unity for a game like this anyway.

Also: the mother of all hangovers.

Do you see/expect/hope Larian to license the engine to other devs?

Stabwound

Arcane
Hey stab, you have taste, can you point me to what got you excited about this game? I heard about it, looked at the kickstarter, and saw the gorilla orcs and WoW style armor and blew it off. Then the Codex loved on it for a while and I looked again and it looked like it's for people that love opening boxes to find Diablo X of the Y junk items. Was there some combat video that let people overlook that kinda shit and say, "Oh they have to make it look like WoW, it's just business" and similar for the Diablerie or am I just totally out of touch with the Codex and no one else minds
Well, quick run down:

It's an open world game with a huge world to explore, Ultima 7 spiritual successor
NPC schedules, like U7
Top down isometric, no rotating camera
Rewards exploration especially if you go off the beaten path
No quest compass/log
Party-based, turn-based combat
Non-combat skills/abilities
Lots of loot, skills and shit
Very extensive editor in which you can recreate almost any game. Swen specifically said you could recreate Ultima 7 entirely with the mod tools.

The graphical style I can definitely see being a turnoff, but it looks like they've toned down the SUPER BLOOM that was apparent in the early pre-kickstarter screenshots. I get what you mean about the Diablo like "SMASH EVERY BARREL" thing, and it does look like it has that, but so did U7. You don't have to search everything but you can to find misc potions by the looks of it.

I have a massive itch for a game like this. I just love open world games, and it's been a long time since there's been one in this style. U7 is probably the last one, and this seems like U7 but much more expanded and with actual combat.

Tytus

Arcane
For me there are 2 reasons for not using some 3rd party engine:
- no source code
- what if company that made it goes bankrupt or stops supporting it all of a sudden

If we would be interested in a 3rd party engine, it probably wouldn't be Unity for a game like this anyway.

Also: the mother of all hangovers.

Do you see/expect/hope Larian to license the engine to other devs?

When Bioware finally collapses and it's remnants will try to save themselves creating it's own dev company. They will license the engine from Larian.

Gozma

Arcane
Well, quick run down:

It's an open world game with a huge world to explore, Ultima 7 spiritual successor
NPC schedules, like U7
Top down isometric, no rotating camera
Rewards exploration especially if you go off the beaten path
No quest compass/log
Party-based, turn-based combat
Non-combat skills/abilities
Lots of loot, skills and shit
Very extensive editor in which you can recreate almost any game. Swen specifically said you could recreate Ultima 7 entirely with the mod tools.

The graphical style I can definitely see being a turnoff, but it looks like they've toned down the SUPER BLOOM that was apparent in the early pre-kickstarter screenshots. I get what you mean about the Diablo like "SMASH EVERY BARREL" thing, and it does look like it has that, but so did U7. You don't have to search everything but you can to find misc potions by the looks of it.

I have a massive itch for a game like this. I just love open world games, and it's been a long time since there's been one in this style. U7 is probably the last one, and this seems like U7 but much more expanded and with actual combat.

K, thanks for the effort bro

I will haunt the Larian thread with vexing questions nae moor

Gozma: What Infinitron said, plus, for me at least (to quote my earlier reply to Roguey):
much of the appeal of the Divinity games, as I think most of their fans would agree, lies in that they (mostly) manage to pull off a particular sort of light-hearted tongue-in-cheek humour that goes beyond the stereotypical fantasy jokes. Now I understand if it doesn't work for you, but trust me, when it does, it can make a world of difference. It's a large part of why Larian games don't feel like products calculated to appeal to some sort of target market. (I remember the breaking point for me with Divinity 2 was when I saw the interior of the pig-obsessed farmer's house -- far from the most clever or funny joke ever conceived, yet there's something endearingly silly about it that sold me on the game's aesthetic). I can't even think of any game in recent (or even not-so-recent) memory other than the River of Time which actually attempts to achieve something similar.

Now I remember especially with Divinity 2 it was really hard for me to get into the game, because I'm not a big fan of the sort of third person action it's got, I didn't like the visuals, and the tutorial area wasn't very good, but I was persuaded by people on the Codex to give it a chance. In the end, it turned out to be one of the most fun games I played over the last six years or so, despite the flaws. While the two series are otherwise quite dissimilar, I know you're a fan of the III - V era of Might and Magic games; I'd say that the main thing that attracts me to D:OS is the exact same thing I loved best about Xeen & Terra: having a silly open-world game that doesn't take itself too seriously but is huge fun to play.

Stabwound

Arcane
I really could not into Divinity 2 at all; I liked the concept but the combat was absolutely awful. Melee felt like you were swinging a feather duster at the enemies. I loved the feel of the game overall but combat was such a huge part and it was so bad, it ruined it for me.

Divine Divinity is an underrated classic, though.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Looking at Matt Barton's Divine Divinity video I get serious Arcanum vibes from the visuals, except it's even nicer looking. Definitely going to play it before DOS comes out.

Stabwound

Arcane
Do it: it's criminally underrated, especially on the Codex. Publishers made them hamfist in Diablo combat, but it's a very solid CRPG despite the combat system. I think a lot of people are turned off thinking it's a Diablo clone but it really isn't.

This is one of the reasons I have high hopes for Original Sin.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please
One can easily qualify you in the following two words: dumbfuck detected.

deamento

Scholar
Looking at Matt Barton's Divine Divinity video I get serious Arcanum vibes from the visuals, except it's even nicer looking. Definitely going to play it before DOS comes out.
in a few weeks you can buy the HD version (still the same aesthetic but it should look better graphically which is never bad) so i recommend you wait for it.
also, i have played a bit of divine divinity, the combat isn't all that great but it's fun interacting with the world and the people in it.
PS: the first dungeon is awful and don't forget to quicksave!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please

We're gonna need a Belgian version of the potato emoticon now.

Stabwound

Arcane
in a few weeks you can buy the HD version (still the same aesthetic but it should look better graphically which is never bad) so i recommend you wait for it.
also, i have played a bit of divine divinity, the combat isn't all that great but it's fun interacting with the world and the people in it.
HD version? Do you mean the GOG version that supports widescreen or is there an actual HD version coming out?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

A waffle? :smug:

deamento

Scholar

what exactly do you mean by that?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HD version? Do you mean the GOG version that supports widescreen or is there an actual HD version coming out?

I haven't heard of any HD version. Steam version supports high resolutions right now.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unlike a lot of people here, I'm not nearly as excited for this game as I am for InXile and Obisdian's projects, but it still looks interesting. It looks like well done turn based combat, and hopefully the good parts of hiking simulators (finding cool stuff) without the bad parts (spending way too long just walking around in first person being expected to find console graphics impressive). Plus an open design to the world and quests instead of linear paths, linear quests, etc.

deamento

Scholar
Larian is making a HD version of it, this is from their kickstarter page
Digital add-ons
  • Divine Divinity Digital Version (HD): add $5

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Larian is dmaking a HD version of it, this is from their kickstarter page
Digital add-ons

Uh I'm pretty sure that's the same version currently available. It's like how you could get Quest for Glory in the Hero-U Kickstarter, they're not making anything new.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Larian is making a HD version of it, this is from their kickstarter page
Digital add-ons

No that is actually the original game with higher resolutions supported.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom