Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tell me the names and I will throw them out of tower to the wrath of the Red Imps ... :killit:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and NWN-level moduleWORLD making capabilities.

FIXT!

Zep--
NWN modules sound more appealing. They are one of the few times that the modding community created a plethora of good content - and not graphix and texturezzz superficial shit, but gameplay content in the form of branching dialogues, interestingly scripted quests, etc., etc. "World making capabilities" make me think of superficial TES mods.

deamento

Scholar
It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and NWN-level moduleWORLD making capabilities.

FIXT!

Zep--
NWN modules sound more appealing. They are one of the few times that the modding community created a plethora of good content - and not graphix and texturezzz superficial shit, but gameplay content in the form of branching dialogues, interestingly scripted quests, etc., etc. "World making capabilities" make me think of superficial TES mods.
agreed. also, world making capabilities sounds a bit dry

Zeriel

Arcane
That said, "world" does encapsulate one massive difference between NWN 1 & 2 and D:OS. The area size. Neverwinter areas are fairly small even at the max size, and the max size with lots of placeables (esp trees) quickly starts behaving erratically, either corrupting itself in the toolset or not running properly or well in-game. At least as far as size goes, D:OS areas are massive and fairly contiguous. We'll have to see what it's capable of in terms of highly dense placeables and vegetation.

deamento

Scholar
That said, "world" does encapsulate one massive difference between NWN 1 & 2 and D:OS. The area size. Neverwinter areas are fairly small even at the max size, and the max size with lots of placeables (esp trees) quickly starts behaving erratically, either corrupting itself in the toolset or not running properly or well in-game. At least as far as size goes, D:OS areas are massive and fairly contiguous. We'll have to see what it's capable of in terms of highly dense placeables and vegetation.
you have to remember that you're trying to sell the game, the customer will read the quotes, might get excited, buy the game, play the game, forget about the quotes and then maybe start modding

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
maybe

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and Terraforming capabilities.

or

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and modding capabilities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The point is to compare it to another game so people have a frame of reference. "Hey, game X was awesome, and this game is like it! DAY ONE PURCHASE."

Angthoron

Arcane
Pshaw. "It's like liquid sex where everyone gets a turn"

Put on the box, enjoy the massive spike (hurr) of sales in turn-based gaming segment.

deamento

Scholar
maybe

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and Terraforming capabilities.

or

It's an Ultima VII inspired CRPG with Fallout-style turn-based combat and modding capabilities.
the 1st one doesn't really sound appealing
and the 2nd is more of a cut down version of the original
why are we trying to improve on it anyway? it sounds fine to me

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Except, placeables and vegetation are again, superficial shit. If I wanted to explore a world with custom non-gameplay-effecting (relative to, say, a NWN module)combat, I've got TES and ARMA. What I am looking forward to is custom crafted content on a high level, where I feel like I'm almost playing a new game, rather than the same game with shit added on.

In other words, "world" is not a massive difference from NWN to D:OS - it is a technical large difference, but in terms of the realm of gameplay, it is not significant compared to all the scripting, writing, and all else that you can do with NWN modules and hopefully DOS.

deamento

Scholar
Except, placeables and vegetation are again, superficial shit. If I wanted to explore a world with custom non-gameplay-effecting (relative to, say, a NWN module)combat, I've got TES and ARMA. What I am looking forward to is custom crafted content on a high level, where I feel like I'm almost playing a new game, rather than the same game with shit added on.

In other words, "world" is not a massive difference from NWN to D:OS - it is a technical large difference, but in terms of the realm of gameplay, it is not significant compared to all the scripting, writing, and all else that you can do with NWN modules and hopefully DOS.
but can't the surroundings help improve the quality of a mod?
i know they are one of the least important in a propper mod but they are still useful to a skilled modder

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I like how an initial pretend "box blurb" fix turns into a real discussion. :)

Zep--

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

i know they are one of the least important in a propper mod but they are still useful to a skilled modder
NWN was an ugly piece of shit but I still loved playing custom modules all the time. There were maybe 1 or 2 modules that had interesting environment. Good writing can describe an beautiful setting without graphics.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I can see a proper remake of U7 or IE games on Larian's new engine, at least if everything they've shown is to go by, with a lot of work, but still, doable, but think about how this would go with NWN. It'd take an insane amount of work, and the result would just make people wonder why not just replay the original anyway.

deamento

Scholar

NWN was an ugly piece of shit but I still loved playing custom modules all the time. There were maybe 1 or 2 modules that had interesting environment. Good writing can describe an beautiful setting without graphics.
yea you got me there, NWN looked like someone smeared a turd on my screen, but i was talking about D:OS, i think it looks incredible, especially in a forest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey is incredibly consistent: whatever Sawyer says is what she's going to present as her beliefs. This is also why paying attention/arguing with her is utterly pointless. You're arguing in proxy with Sawyer, who isn't even aware/doesn't care.
There's nothing inconsistent here. I don't care about NPC schedules when they're not obnoxious. I'm expecting obnoxiousness from Larian, given their track record of doing things well.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Roguey is incredibly consistent: whatever Sawyer says is what she's going to present as her beliefs. This is also why paying attention/arguing with her is utterly pointless. You're arguing in proxy with Sawyer, who isn't even aware/doesn't care.
There's nothing inconsistent here. I don't care about NPC schedules when they're not obnoxious. I'm expecting obnoxiousness from Larian, given their track record of doing things well.
How obnoxious, that I can't go to the store at 4am.

Angthoron

Arcane
:killit: I find your lack of consistency disturbing.

Perhaps this is because... Roguey is really Sawyer?

Dun dun DUUUUUN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom