Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Sins of the fathers, burdens of the sons (A Gabriel Knight LP)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
==============================================================================
CONTENTS

Gabriel Knight is one my favorite "serious" adventure games. That's not to say it doesn't have its share of humor, but since it deals with a horror mystery it has a darker tone than most Lucasarts and Sierra adventure games that came before it. Since I'm recently replaying many of the oldies and Jane Jensen is trying to kickstart a new adventure game in the vein of Gabriel Knight called Moebius, I thought it was fine opportunity to do a "Let's play" of GK1.

Artwork%2B983790596.jpg

The Game was published in 1993 with classic point'n'click interface, offering beautiful hand-drawn graphics and --in the CD version-- excellent voice acting. You play the role of the titular character, Gabriel Knight, a wise-cracking bookstore owner and struggling mystery author in New Orleans. For his latest novel he is planning a horror story about voodoo. When a series of murders with voodoo trappings shocks the public, he sees an opportunity to spice up his novel and starts investigating them on his own. As he delves deeper into the origin of the murders, he will find more than he's bargained for.

GKl.jpg

The game was designed and written by Jane Jensen. What I really like about her is that she knows what she's talking about. Throughout the game it's obvious that she has thoroughly researched history, legends and locations and she manges to blend all that information seamlessly with the fiction (unlike many hacks in the writing business). Also, she can actually write with skill and design good puzzles. Apart from a couple of frustrating pixel-hunting moments, the puzzles are logical, if challenging.

Gk1-box-f.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:bounce:

I have never played the game, but it's a great opportunity to see if it's worth it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In the golden days of Sierra...

sierra_000.png

There was Gabriel Knight.

sierra_001.png

And the nightmare begins :

sierra_002.png
sierra_003.png
sierra_005.png
sierra_006.png

sierra_008.png
sierra_011.png
sierra_012.png
sierra_015.png

sierra_016.png
sierra_017.png
sierra_018.png
sierra_021.png

sierra_026.png
sierra_028.png
sierra_032.png
sierra_034.png

sierra_037.png
sierra_043.png
sierra_047.png
sierra_048.png

sierra_052.png
sierra_054.png
sierra_056.png
sierra_057.png

sierra_060.png
sierra_061.png
sierra_063.png

sierra_110.png

Day 1 : I dreamt of blood upon the shore.

I edited Gabriel Knight's music into soundtracks for the chapters of this LP. Give it a try :

It's dawn. The paperboy brings the newspaper...

sierra_113.png

and St. George's bookshop opens for business.

sierra_125.png

Our hero, Gabriel Knight, is a late bird.

sierra_127.png

His store's manager, Grace Nakamura, has been quite busy...

sierra_137.png

Gabriel frantically waves "NO".

sierra_144.png

Caffeine is an absolute necessity at this point.

sierra_146.png

Ah, Grace finally puts down the receiver:

sierra_153.png

Gabe-sm.png
(GRUNT)Uh.

Grace-sm.png
Gee, you're lively. Did you have another nightmare last night?

Gabe-sm.png
Sort of.

Grace-sm.png
Mmmm-hmmm. I told you, it's that Voodoo book you're researching. That stuff can seriously screw up your karma.

Gabe-sm.png
I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead.

Grace-sm.png
<sigh> So don't sleep. It's your body. Anyway, your hand-held tape recorder came today."

Gabe-sm.png
Really? Great!

Grace-sm.png
I can't wait to see what human rights you violate with this one.

Gabe-sm.png
I can't wait to violate them. For example, if you would just let me...

sierra_170.png

Gabe-sm.png
How would I ever manage without you?

Grace-sm.png
You? Give me a break. The devil himself couldn't change you.

Gabe-sm.png
Well...if the devil had great legs, perhaps...like yours

Grace-sm.png
And a riveting personality, I'm sure. If you need any more research done, just ask. It's not as though we're swamped with customers."

Hmm, Grace plays it harder to get than "Lolita". In times like these it's good to divert our attention elsewhere... to the newspaper for instance:

sierra_187.png

The article says that the victims are all identified as members of the underworld.

"The general public of New Orleans is in no danger."
Police claim the "so-called Voodoo trappings" found at the crime scenes
are fake--a scare tactic--and that the murders are not associated with
any genuine practitioners.

Voodoo murders ! Maybe that's why we're researching for a voodoo novel.
Gabriel also scans the Aquarius horoscope for the day....

sierra_192.png

Sound advice, let's completely ignore it and have a look at the interface :

sierra_194.png

You can see the usual "verb" commands to the left, the "progression points" counter to the right and the inventory and tape recorder buttons in the middle. When you enter interrogation mode, you'll be recording the conversations and you can replay them any time you want :

sierra_195.png

Interrogation mode is engaged by the "?" icon, while light conversation can be started with "!". Let's have some chit-chat with Grace :

sierra_196.png

Grace-sm.png
Your use of mathematics, for one thing. These books are unbelievable.

Gabe-sm.png
What can I say? I refuse to be bound by rules.

Grace-sm.png
The strap-marks on your bedpost speak otherwise.

Kinky. Now, let's try the interrogation mode :

sierra_202.png

Gabe-sm.png
How do you like it here in new Orleans, Grace ?

Grace-sm.png
I've only been here two months, but I love it. It's so much more 'alive' than any place I've been. It feels like anything's possible here.

Gabe-sm.png
Tell me about yourself, Grace.

Grace-sm.png
Yeah, right, Knight.

Gabe-sm.png
I mean it.

Grace-sm.png
What do you want to know?

sierra_220.png

Gabe-sm.png
How come we haven't gone out yet?

Grace-sm.png
I'm still waiting around for that lobotomy. Soon as I get it, I'll let you know.

Gabe-sm.png
How do you like working at St. George's Books?

Grace-sm.png
Well, it's not exactly a HUGE intellectual challenge... Still, I love old books, and it's a nice way to pay the bills while I explore the city for a summer. If you ever pay me, that is.

Gabe-sm.png
What do you do after work?

Grace-sm.png
I either go to my oil painting class or my Tai Chi. You know that.

Gabe-sm.png
How old are you?

Grace-sm.png
Old enough to know about men like you.

Gabe-sm.png
Uh-huh. Just tell me anything at all.

Grace-sm.png
I just got my Masters in History and Classics. My folks wanted me to go on right away for my Ph.D., but eighteen years of school was enough! I needed a break.

Overqualified and underpaid, sign of the times.
Ok, it's time to get a bit more serious.

sierra_203.png

Grace-sm.png
I didn't know much of anything about it until you started researching it for your book. Now I know that it's active in the city--there's that shop and museum. It can clearly be dangerous in the wrong hands. You should be careful investigating it.

Gabe-sm.png
Do you have messages for me?

Grace-sm.png
Dana called, and Susie left a message about a lawsuit.

Gabe-sm.png
Toss 'em.

Gabe, a true southern gentleman :smug:

Grace-sm.png
Okay-dokey. There's more when you want them. Your Grandmother called...

Gabe-sm.png
I keep meaning to get over there. What'd she say? Did she sound good?

Grace-sm.png
She sounded great, and we had a nice little chat about you.

Gabe-sm.png
Grace....!

Grace-sm.png
Don't worry. I didn't go into detail about your cardinal sins. Not that anything about you could surprise her. She adores you anyway.

Gabe-sm.png
She's my girl.

Grace-sm.png
But she said to remind you to stop by and go through your father's things.

Gabe-sm.png
Hmmm. Okay. Anything else ?

sierra_251.png

Grace-sm.png
He told me it was urgent; maybe you should give him a call...

Gabe-sm.png
Call Germany? Like hell. If it's really important, he'll call back.

Grace-sm.png
Well, fine. Let's just hope he's not with the German lottery for pitiful American authors.

Gabe-sm.png
Funny.

Grace-sm.png
Your friend Detective Mosely called. Talkative, isn't he?

Gabe-sm.png
Especially with you. What did he want?

Grace-sm.png
He left an interesting message. He told me to tell you that his mother's maiden name is Humphrey. That's 'H-U-M-P-H-R-E-Y.'

Gabe-sm.png
Fascinating.

Grace-sm.png
...and that he left some photos for you at the station. At the front desk.

Gabe-sm.png
It's about time !

Grace-sm.png
Gabriel, those photos wouldn't have anything to do with the Voodoo Murders, would they?

Heh, it's nice to have a buddy in the police.

Gabe-sm.png
Now why would you say something like that?

Grace-sm.png
Because I know you! You're getting privileged information, aren't you? Did you tell him you'd put him in your new Voodoo book?

Gabe-sm.png
A writer has a certain obligation to his readers, you know...

Grace-sm.png
Gabriel! You know you'll never put him in your book! Your main character is a female orthodontist! You're going to be reincarnated as a pit bull if you keep screwing with your karma.

Gabe-sm.png
As long as it's a MALE pit bull, with a really big...

Grace-sm.png
That's enough, thanks! Anyway, that's all the messages. Thank God.

Thank God indeed. Now, let's stop teasing Grace and have a look around. St. George's Books could use some serious renovation, but Gabriel likes to think that the place has character:

sierra_182.png

It seems Gabriel's father was an artist with a pretty dark vein.
Ok, I think it's time to start hoarding everything that's not nailed down...

sierra_273.png

We grab the Magnifying Glass and the Pair of Tweezers next to it. They're both used for repairing old books, but we may find other uses for them.

Then, we turn our gaze to the books.

sierra_283.png

On the shelves we can find anything from pulp fiction, to poetry and from biology to history, but we'll let them be for now and check Gabe's back room.

sierra_291.png

The fridge has strange-looking things inside...

sierra_295.png

As for the typewriter :

sierra_303.png

Gabe-sm.png
<shrug> Writer's block.

Whatever you say, Gabe. There are two items we'll take from here, a flashlight and a hair-gel. What can I say, Gabriel has a thing for his hair.

sierra_297.png

sierra_302.png

At this point we realize we don't have any money. Let's have a look at the register !

sierra_320.png

sierra_321.png

Gabe-sm.png
Maybe I could take some-

Grace-sm.png
Gabriel, that's all the change money I have. Touch it, and you can kiss your hand good-bye!

Crap. But wait, there's also a gift certificate here...

sierra_322.png

Gabe-sm.png
I trust you can live without this old gift certificate?

Grace-sm.png
Knock yourself out.

Great ! With renewed confidence Gabe decides to browse through his grandfather's poetry collection :

sierra_329.png

Gabe-sm.png
"Drei Drachen. Drei Drachen kriechen in meinen Schlaf, die Seele woll'n sie lebendig zum Frass." "Feurigen Atems, gespaltener Zunge geniessen sie jedes Mahl."

Grace-sm.png
That's nice. Kind of creepy, though. Who's the author?

Gabe-sm.png
Heinz Ritter. I'm not sure what it says, but I get the feeling the guy was one sick puppy.

Ritter ? Wasn't that German that was asking for Gabriel, called Ritter ?
Maybe we should find out what it means. There is a shelf with dictionaries we can use :

sierra_343.png

Gabe-sm.png
'Drachen' means dragons. I wonder if Mosely would know he was being insulted if I called him 'Drachen breath.'

So, "Three Dragons". That's all we can get from the in-game dictionary, but since we have the internets nowadays, we might as well try to roughly translate the whole thing :

Three dragons.
Three dragons creep into my sleep,
my soul they want to ravage.
Fiery breaths, flicking tongues
they relish every meal.

German speaking codexers are welcome to offer their corrections.

So, we have all the items we need from our bookstore:

sierra_337.png

I think it's about time to hit the road and start doing some investigation. Gabriel puts on his leather jacket, even if it's July (It's all about the style, baby !) and hits the road.

sierra_349.png

We have many locations to choose from. More will appear as we gain new information :
  • St. Louis Cathedral
  • Jackson Square
  • Jackson Square Overlook
  • The Dixieland Drugstore (A Store with voodoo/occult paraphernalia)
  • Historical Voodoo Museum
  • Napolean House (Gabe's favorite bar)
  • Police Station
  • Grandmother Knight's House

sierra_353.png

We'll head to the Police Station first, to check out what our friend Mosely has for us.

sierra_356.png

sierra_358.png

:yeah:

sierra_360.png

Let's ask for Mosely:

sierra_361.png

sierra_367.png

Unfortunately the beignet guy appears and the whole precinct gets distracted :D (beignets are the donuts of New Orleans)

sierra_376.png

Finally, they settle down and we can ask our questions. Inquiring about voodoo, or the voodoo murders, wont get us anywhere.

sierra_393.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hello, officer.....

Frick-sm.png
Frick.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Frick ?!

Frick-sm.png
That's right. You got a problem with that?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Not at all. I'm here to see Detective Mosely.

Frick-sm.png
He's out at a crime scene. Sorry.

Crime scene ? Do tell !

sierra_436.png

Frick-sm.png
Crime scene information is police confidential. We don't need any more lookie-loos than are probably already there.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Come on, you can tell me where the crime scene is.

Frick-sm.png
Look, I know the paper's got everybody stirred up 'bout these killings, but that don't make it public information. Back off!

A-HA !

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So this IS a new Voodoo Murder, then?"

Frick-sm.png
Hey! I didn't say that! You'll read all about it in the papers tomorrow--oh, I'm sure."

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Please tell me where the crime scene is?

Frick-sm.png
Look, buddy. You keep it up, and there'll be a crime scene right here!

Begging won't get us anywhere, we'll have to find another way to locate the crime scene, for now we've done all we could in the police station. Time to visit Grandma Knight.

sierra_461.png

sierra_463.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Sorry it's been a while, Grandma.

granny-sm.png
Not at all! Give us a kiss.

granny-sm.png
Now come and sit down! Tell me how you're doing!

sierra_469.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You're looking well, Gran.

granny-sm.png
Thanks, Dear.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Done anything interesting lately?

granny-sm.png
I raised you!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
LATELY, Gran.

granny-sm.png
Oh, you know me, Gabriel; I always got my nose poked in something!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It must run in the family.

Ok, let's try to get some info out of Gran.

sierra_483.png

Maybe we should learn more about the family history, we'll start with granny herself.

sierra_504.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me about before you met Grandaddy.

granny-sm.png
Well, you know I was born Rebecca Wright. My daddy owned a lot of land outside of town. We grew peas, corn, cotton--all kinds of things. It was a good childhood, but my father was very strict. He didn't much let me out of his sight.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me how you met him.

granny-sm.png
I met Harrison at a church revival. There was a traveling preacher back then--a big fella named Reverend Jim. I even remember his slogan--'Come to Me to find your Way.

granny-sm.png
Your grandad was sitting right behind me and my girlfriend Alma, and at one point ole Reverend Jim was flinging his hair around with his fire 'n brimstone antics... And a piece of it--one of those small add-on doos for men--went flying off. I swear Harrison and I were the only ones that noticed!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Heh.

granny-sm.png
We both started laughing to beat the band! Everyone looked at us like we were a couple of loonies. It was then I knew that he was for me.

Let's learn more about him.

sierra_533.png

granny-sm.png
Your grandad immigrated to America when he was 21. He worked his way through school, met and married me, and we had your father, Philip.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
He was a bookkeeper, right ?

granny-sm.png
Your grandad supported me and your father with bookkeeping. I'll tell you what, though, he hated every minute of it. Didn't really like bookkeeping one bit. Maybe that was why he had the worst luck with jobs! Oh, the nights he'd come home afraid to tell me he'd lost another! And I would tell him, it didn't matter to me, but he felt ashamed, Gabriel."

Gabe-coat-sm.png
He died young...

granny-sm.png
Harrison was only thirty-six when he died. Your father was eight years old at the time. Your grandad was hit by a streetcar in the business district. It took me nearly a year to believe he was really gone.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I'm sorry, Gran.

granny-sm.png
I know you are, Dear. Did you know that your grandad was a poet? He was! He wrote the most beautiful poetry for me when we were courting.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
...Really ?

granny-sm.png
I always thought he should have done something with that gift, but he was such a practical man. Didn't believe in chasing after dreams.

Time to ask about Gabe's father.

sierra_551.png

granny-sm.png
Philip suffered from terrible nightmares, just like your grandad did! They were two peas in a pod.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Nightmares, huh ?

granny-sm.png
When Philip met your mother, it was love at first sight. They were married two weeks later! Never looked at a girl seriously until then--and he'd looked at plenty! You have your father's way with women, Gabriel--and your grandad's <blush>!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I... can barely remember them now.

granny-sm.png
I wanted to just lay down and die when he and your mother were killed in that car crash when you were only eight! It was the thought of taking care of you that kept me going, Gabriel.

Uh-oh, Knights have a habit of dying young and leaving eight-year old orphans.

granny-sm.png
The police say your father swerved off the road after being frightened by something. Perhaps a deer in the road--or a wild cat.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me more about my father.

granny-sm.png
Your grandad wanted Philip to have a 'normal life.' He was obsessed by that thought. He pushed Philip to go to law school, but Philip was driven to art. He painted almost in a daze, he would get so inside himself when he worked!

granny-sm.png
I kept telling him, 'Try something more cheerful--like a landscape or two,' but he couldn't do it. His work was just too dark and disturbing for the public, you know.

Ok, let's inquire about mother Knight.

sierra_568.png

granny-sm.png
She was beautiful and reckless. She was madly in love with your father, of course, but I also think she liked defying her family. Your mother's family refused to give her money after the marriage. All she had left was a modest trust fund from her great-aunt, who happened to like Philip.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
The remainder of that trust fund became mine when she died. That's what I used to open my book shop...

granny-sm.png
The Templetons are all gone now--every last one of them. They never wanted anything to do with us, of course. What a waste.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Is there anything more you could tell me ?

granny-sm.png
Since you're so interested in family history these days, why don't you go by St. Louis Cemetery #1 and visit the family tomb? It would be a sweet gesture.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Maybe I will.

Yup, maybe we will. This conversation has given us the cemetery destination in the map, but for now I think it's time to have a look at his father's old things in the attic.

sierra_590.png

Among the rubble there's a trunk with an old clock on top. We move the clock aside and check the trunk's contents :

sierra_605.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I don't think there's anything in that trunk that would interest anybody but my Gran.

How about the clock then ?

sierra_607.png

Let's have a closer look.

sierra_612.png

Hmm. This isn't an ordinary clock, both the clock's hands and the symbols on the clock face can be manipulated...

You know what that means... PUZZLE TIME !
This is the first big puzzle you can come across in the game and it's rather difficult since you don't have any direct info about it. It's not necessary to deal with this now, you could wait until near the end of the game to solve it, but we'll try to do it now.

So, we have a sword, a sun, an angel, a noose, an eclipse and a dragon... Do we have anything to work with ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hey, that poem from my grandfather's book collection... Wasn't it talking about "Three Dragons" ?

It seems like a long shot but we could give it a try. "Three Dragons"... should we combine the time 3:00 with the dragon symbol ?

sierra_619.png

This can actually get pretty tough since you can easily discard the original idea and get stuck, but we're on the right track. We just need to put the dragon head on top of "12" :

sierra_623.png

A secret compartment ! Inside we find a letter and a photo...

sierra_632.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It was sent from a place called "Schloss Ritter" in Rittersberg, West Germany. The letter is addressed to "Mein Sohn Heinz" and signed "Wilhelm Ritter."

Ritter ? That name again ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
One of the reoccurring words Strewn throughout the letter is the word "Schattenjager."

The only other thing that Gabriel can decipher about the letter is a sense of urgency in the handwriting and in the heavy use of a quill tip, bold strokes, and underlining.

And what of the photo ?

sierra_640.png

It's a mystery... we should have a talk with Granny. We show her the letter :

sierra_642.png

granny-sm.png
Er...no, Dear. I'm afraid I don't speak a word of German.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What about this photograph ?

granny-sm.png
That one in the middle is your grandfather. Those other two I don't know.

I'm sure she knows more.

sierra_650.png

granny-sm.png
Heinz Ritter... Oh, Gabriel! Where did you hear that name?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It's mentioned in the letter.

granny-sm.png
<sigh> I promised I'd never tell you or your father, but I suppose it doesn't matter now.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
TELL me, Gran.

granny-sm.png
Your grandad's name was Heinz Ritter before he came to America. He changed it to Harrison Knight legally when he arrived.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Why did Grandad change his name?

granny-sm.png
I don't know. I tried to ask him about his family, his life before America, but he didn't want to talk about it. He never even told me about his name change--I found out one day when I saw his passport in a drawer.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
And he never told you ?

granny-sm.png
Since he obviously found it painful, I never questioned him about it, but I'm sure it wasn't trouble with the law. Your grandad was the best man I ever knew.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Didn't Grandad ever say ANYTHING about his past or his family?

sierra_666.png

granny-sm.png
He believed in some family curse, thought that he could spare Philip and Philip's children from what he called 'old nightmares.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hmm...

granny-sm.png
Whatever Harrison wanted to spare you, though, it cost him plenty ! He never did sleep well, and he would often get a faraway, guilty look in his eyes. He was wrestling with something he thought he SHOULD be doing, someplace he thought he OUGHT to be.

granny-sm.png
I don't know how he could think that he should be anywhere but with me and our child. It's a terrible way to live."

sierra_673.png

granny-sm.png
Schattenjager? Schattenjager. How odd, Gabriel. I haven't heard that word in years! My goodness, you've given me a chill! Your grandad used to say that sometimes in his sleep.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really? Do you know what it means?

granny-sm.png
No, I'm afraid not. I asked him about it once. I don't think he answered me. Odd.

Odd indeed.
Let's have another look at the attic, maybe we missed something.

sierra_903.png

We should take it.

sierra_905.png

We shift through its pages...

sierra_909.png

The images touch a deep cord in Gabriel. So familiar are they, that he finds it hard to believe they aren't from his own subconscious...

sierra_067.png

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Creepy game. I love it as a kid. Latter parts turns more and more disturbing. When they moved to FMV, my PC wasn't good enough and I never got back to Gabriel Knight until GK-3, with the awkward 3d and atrocious puzzles.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It certainly is the best GK game. GK2 and 3 had equally good stories but they suffered in the puzzle department. GK3 actually had a couple of great puzzles, unfortunately it also had some hideous ones.

Erebus

Arcane
I watched a video LP of GK1, some time ago. I tried to do the same with the two sequels, but I quickly gave up : I really didn't care for GK2's FMV or GK3's 3D.

RK47

Patron
I love the portraits and i can still remember the music that plays when u visit granny.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
comic%2Bcopy.jpg

gn00.jpg

gn01.jpg

gn02.jpg

gn03.jpg

Day 1 : The lake was smooth and deep and black.

Chapter 2 Soundtrack :

Ok people, time get back on track. We've got a crime scene to find, a shadowy family history to unravel and some voodoo info to gather. Let's start with the latter and visit the voodoo museum !

sierra_703.png

sierra_683.png

A street drummer has settled outside the museum playing his monotonous tune as if to accompany the voodoo exhibits. A very small coffin draws our attention...

sierra_685.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
This coffin is so small. Interesting...

museum%2Bassistant-sm.png
Cute, isn't it?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Adorable. Do you know anything about it?

'Fraid not.

Huh ?

sierra_695.png

I wouldn't be much help. You should talk to Dr. John, the owner? He'll be back tomorrow.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I see. Thank you."

Damn, not much to do in the museum today, except maybe admire the huge snake in display :

sierra_699.png

We move on to the dixieland drug store hoping to find more about voodoo...

sierra_709.png

The proprietor doesn't look especially friendly. His business probably doesn't depend on walk-ins.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hi there. Is this your store?

Willy.png
This is the Dixieland Drug Store, and I own it, me. Name's Walker. Willy Walker.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Mind if I ask you a few questions?

Willy.png
Ask what you want. I'll answer what I want.

sierra_729.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Can you tell me what you know about Voodoo?

Willy.png
This is a novelty shop, M'sieu'.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you think I'm stupid? This is a Voodoo shop--look at all this stuff!

Willy.png
These are novelties--curiosities! If people want to think they're magic, it's not my concern, you know.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Are you telling me that you own a Voodoo shop, but you know nothing about Voodoo practices?

Willy.png
Z'affai' neg' pa' z'affair' blanc!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What does THAT mean?

Willy.png
It means you should mind your own business, M'sieu'.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Look, I'm researching Voodoo for a book...

Willy.png
I don't have your answers, me. Do you want to buy something, M'sieu'?

Dammit ! We're not getting anywhere here. Maybe we should try to question him about the murders...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What do you know about the Voodoo Murders?

sierra_739.png

Huh ? He said those words under his breath, with a superstitious, slightly fearful way...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What did you say?

Willy.png
Nothing. Those killings have nothing to do with my shop, M'sieu.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What did you mean when you said cabrit sans cor'?

Willy.png
I didn't say that.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You did! I heard you say it!

Willy.png
You heard wrong, M'sieu'. I said no such thing!

Hmm, it's obvious he knows more than what he's telling, let's show him the photo from the murder scene :

sierra_757.png

Willy.png
No! I don't know anything about it. Nothin'!

We won't get anything more from him now. It feels like we've hit a dead end. Maybe we should take a stroll at Jackson Square to clear our head...

sierra_761.png

sierra_763.png

There's a motorcycle cop stationed here and we can hear snippets from his police radio:

sierra_766.png

Hey, maybe that's from the crime scene ! If only we could hear it more clearly...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Good day, Officer.

motorcycle%2Bcop-sm.png
Yeah, to you, too. Keep moving.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Could I ask you a few questions?

motorcycle%2Bcop-sm.png
Not now, Buddy. I'm busy.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I should've noticed that. Thanks.

What a prick. Let's explore the rest of the park.

sierra_782.png

Another one of those drummers and a... mime :

sierra_786.png

Terrible creatures, avoid them whenever you can. This particular mime likes to walk behind people and do impersonations of them.

sierra_789.png

Not even old ladies are spared from his cretinous act:

sierra_795.png

I've just had a cunning idea ! Why don't we use this idiot to our advantage ?

sierra_800.png

He starts following us around, but we pretend not to notice.

sierra_803.png

We get him close to the policeman...

sierra_808.png

...and nature takes its course. The mime loses his interest in Gabriel and starts impersonating the cop.

sierra_819.png

Heh, in fact he is impersonating a bamboon, or in this case I should say, a manboon. :lol: The cop doesn't like this one bit.

motorcycle%2Bcop-sm.png
Cut it out !.

sierra_833.png

Eventually the copper decides he won't stand for any more humiliation and goes after him. The mime engages his roadrunner act:

sierra_844.png

sierra_847.png

:yeah:

And now we can listen to the police radio.

sierra_853.png

- "Ambulance 91, have you located the crime scene? They've radioed for you three times."

- "Damn! Did you say it was NORTH of the Lake Retreat Country Club?"

- "<sigh> SOUTH. Lakeside Drive, NORTH of the Piedmont Pier, SOUTH of the country club."

- "Man, I don't know if it's the clouds out here today or what! Good thing this guy's already dead!"

- "Everyone's having trouble. Must have been hallucinogens in the coffee this morning!"

- "It's just so misty out here or something, I...hey, I see a squad car! Got it, Molly."

- "Thank God. Have a good one, 91. <pOp>"

All right ! Now we have the crime scene's location.

sierra_871.png

sierra_873.png

It seems they're starting to wrap things up.

sierra_879.png

Our friend Mosely is here...

sierra_885.png

We catch him by surprise.

sierra_887.png

mosley.png
Knight, you wiener, I told you not to call me that!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Feeling jumpy?

mosley.png
Who, me? Don't be stupid. How'd ya find me?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Oh, I was just driving by.

mosley.png
Uh-huh. Well, for the book... But don't tell anyone I let ya see this, huh?

Great, we'll get to see the corpse up close and personal :D

sierra_898.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Isn't this a rather, er, public area for this kind of thing?

mosley.png
Yeah, they're fricking ghosts, these guys. Lakeshore Drive isn't exactly the 10 expressway, but it IS open to the public. No reports of nothin'.

At that point, a car pulls up from the road.

sierra_920.png

Yeah, who the hell is that ?

sierra_930.png

Well, hello there :D

hey01.jpg

hey02.jpg

hey03.jpg

hey04.jpg

sparks are flying, baby !

sierra_937.png

malia.png
What's going on, Officer?

mosley.png
Detective Mosely, Ma'am. We've got a little problem here, but nothing for you to be concerned about, Miss Gedde.

malia.png
I see. Thank you, Detective. And... good day, gentlemen.

sierra_948.png

mosley.png
Forget it. That's Malia Gedde. She's about as far out of your reach as the moon. Probably on her way to meet some guy with a yacht right now.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Near here?

mosley.png
The lake's a popular place for country clubs.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
If she's out here a lot, maybe she saw something, or heard something...

mosley.png
Nah! Nobody ever sees or hears nothin'. I told you. Besides, you don't just go around bothering people like her.

Nonsense ! That's exactly the kind of people Gabriel likes to bother.
Anyway, the cops are getting ready to finish their work here.

sierra_959.png

mosley.png
Let's get the meat wagon moving, then.

motorcycle%2Bcop-sm.png
Do you want to leave an officer here, Sir?

mosley.png
Nah. Just leave the tape up for a few days.

sierra_968.png

Shortly afterwards we're left all alone.

sierra_976.png

Some lines are carved on the sand. They seem to be forming a pattern.

sierra_979.png

Let's use the sketchbook to draw the pattern :

sierra_983.png

sierra_991.png

We should inspect the rest of the area. Our gaze falls on the grass :

sierra_993.png

We use the magnifying glass to inspect this more closely :

sierra_998.png

Something small and iridescent is barely visible among the indentations. It looks like... a scale of some sort ?

It's too small to pick it up by hand, so we try the tweezers.

sierra_1004.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I think it's a snake scale, but it beats the hell out of me what kind.

A closer look with the magnifying glass reveals its color:

sierra_1009.png

Further examination of the grass shows us that...

sierra_1010.png

So, was there a big snake here and does this have anything to do with the murders ? I have a feeling we'll find out.

sierra_068.png

Erebus

Arcane
Malia is one sexy lady.

Z'affai' neg' pa' z'affair' blanc!
It's a bastard version of french, which I guess is used in New Orleans. The proper french sentence would be "Les affaires des nègres ne sont pas les affaires des blancs" (The business of negroes isn't the business of whites).

"Cabrit sans cor'" is also distorted french, but I failed to guess the meaning of "cor'" back when I watched a video LP of GK1 (several words sounded like possibilities, such as "corps" or "coeur").

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So Jane Jensen even nailed the distorted French of New Orleans negroes that are descended from Haiti, from the French colonial years.

:thumbsup:

Mrowak

Arcane
Now that I've seen this game in action I actually bought it. :oops:

RK47

Patron
:eek: Wow. Adventure must not really be your thing. I used to just buy Sierra games exclusively cause it's the best catered genre at that time. Never really meddled into RPG until Ultima 6 & 7 came along. Monkey Island was my first CD game too. Good times.

Then came westwood with Command & Conquer FMV.

Mrowak

Arcane
:eek: Wow. Adventure must not really be your thing. I used to just buy Sierra games exclusively cause it's the best catered genre at that time. Never really meddled into RPG until Ultima 6 & 7 came along. Monkey Island was my first CD game too. Good times.

Then came westwood with Command & Conquer FMV.

Hey, my career as a gamer started in late 1997 when as I wee lad I obtained old by that time 486DX100 16MB RAM computer. So yeah, I pretty much skipped whole adventure goodness, and had to search stuff on my own . Luckily still-to-be declined gaming mags started adding old classic games on their CDs - so that's where I know e.g. Betrayal at Krondor or Ishar series from. Needless to say Gabriel Knight never made to those CDs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
As much as I like pestering Jarl, it would be too much to have him change the title every new update. Have I mentioned how much I don't like nextgen codex with its lack of meaningful options ?

RK47

Patron
As much as I like pestering Jarl, it would be too much to have him change the title every new update. Have I mentioned how much I don't like nextgen codex with its lack of meaningful options ?

There's some down sides. But look on the upside: custom avatars, likes and superior ignore options. As well as youtube video linking. :P Can't win all the time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of youtube linking, can't you do what Crooked Bee did in the Gateway LP to embed the music? That was better than linking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom