Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Sins of the fathers, burdens of the sons (A Gabriel Knight LP)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
comic.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Day 2 : I was what I am not.

This day isn't going well for Gabriel. Trying to woo miss Malia Gedde was a disaster. She definitely seems more hard to get than... "Lolita".

sierra_2216.png

We did get dome info from her though. She recommended checking out the local Voodoo museum, and that's our next destination :

sierra_2220.png

DrJohn.png
I am the proprietor, Dr. John. If you have any questions I will be happy to assist.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Great. My name is Knight, and I'll probably take you up on that. This is quite a place you have here.

DrJohn.png
Thank you, Mr. Knight. I have dedicated myself to the preservation of this unique culture. It is gratifying to see others reap the fruits I have sown.

Dr. John is a huge man. If his manner weren't so pleasant, he'd be intimidating. We move on to more serious questions :

sierra_2255.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Why did you open a Voodoo museum?

DrJohn.png
The subject has fascinated me all my life--and I wanted to help preserve the cultural heritage it represents.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What kind of background in Voodoo do you have?

DrJohn.png
Let us say that I cut my teeth on it, Mr. Knight. It is in my blood.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you do anything besides run the museum?

DrJohn.png
No. The museum does not make me a rich man, but my material needs are simple. I prefer to focus on my one true interest in life.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What are your own religious beliefs?

DrJohn.png
My beliefs are too personal--and too complex--to discuss with a layman, Mr. Knight.

Something tells me he's not a baby-Jesus worshiper. Voodoo is his thing, so let's ask him about it.

sierra_2281.png

DrJohn.png
Historical Voodoo or the Voodoo currently practiced in the city?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me about historical Voodoo.

DrJohn.png
Very well. I will start at the beginning, Mr. Knight, and will go on from there at your prompting.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Sounds good.

DrJohn.png
As you may know, Voodoo is a grass-roots religion formed by the mixing together of many different African tribal religions and Anglo religions such as Catholicism or Protestantism.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Uh-uh.

DrJohn.png
In other words, it is a religion born of the African slave trade. But African slaves were imported not only by the United States but also into the West Indies where the French and Spanish ran plantation islands.

sierra_2288.png

DrJohn.png
But the Creole did not permit their slaves to gather, giving no chance for Voodoo to breed here natively. The Creole also knew enough about the 'corrupted pagan practices' of the West Indies slaves to ban the importing of slaves from THAT region.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So how did Voodoo come to New Orleans?

DrJohn.png
After the Louisiana Purchase, American legislators relaxed regulations. Slaves were permitted to gather. The Americans also removed the ban on West Indies slaves. Around the same time a slave revolt occurred in Santo Domingo--what is now Haiti. Between the lifting of the ban and the Haitian revolt, West Indies slaves began pouring into New Orleans.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What happened when the West Indies slaves got here?

DrJohn.png
They brought Voodoo with them. The native slaves were more than enthusiastic about embracing it. It gave them POWER, Mr. Knight--if only in the form of a communal bond.

sierra_2297.png

Lake Pontchartrain, huh ?

DrJohn.png
The early Voodoos were heavy snake worshippers, worshipping the one they called the Great Zombi.

DrJohn.png
By 1817 the Voodoo activities were beginning to cause fear among the white slave owners. An ordinance was passed to forbid slave gatherings except in designated public areas at designated times

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Where was that ?

DrJohn.png
The time was Sunday afternoons and the place, Congo Square. The slaves and free people of color gathered to dance simulations of their Voodoo dances--right in sight of Creole society.

DrJohn.png
Of course, they also continued to meet in private for the REAL thing.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Of course. What about their "priests" ?

DrJohn.png
There were a variety of kings and queens at first--Voodoo priests and priestesses, but from about 1830 a single power emerged. This was a Voodoo queen named Marie Laveau. Marie Laveau ruled Voodoo in New Orleans for many years.

That's all we can milk him for the historical Voodoo, let's move on to the current Voodoo:

sierra_2310.png

DrJohn.png
Voodoo, the religion, has a strong following in New Orleans. In fact, it is growing quite rapidly.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Are there places where you can worship Voodoo ?

DrJohn.png
There are several Voodoo churches or temples in the city, and others all across the United States. African-Americans see it as a tradition all their own. Whites--and there are many in the religion--are attracted to it because they think it is exotic. I, personally, am more interested in the history of Voodoo.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What about the various movements ?

DrJohn.png
Some of the new movements are copying Haitian or even African Voodoo, but it is the Voodoo of New Orleans that I find so intriguing.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me more about current Voodoo.

sierra_2317.png

DrJohn.png
Perhaps you would like to meet a Voodooienne? We refer those who seek a deeper experience with Voodoo to a local practitioner--Magentia Moonbeam.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Sure, I'd love to meet her.

DrJohn.png
She lives on the corner of Orleans and Dauphine. I will call her and tell her you might stop by.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Great! Thanks.

Yay ! We got ourselves a voodooienne. But what about that voodoo-magic branch called Hoodoo ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What, exactly, is Hoodoo?

DrJohn.png
Hoodoo refers to magic folk traditions of the south. Hoodoo is of interest to those who study rural folk traditions, but it will not aid you in understanding true Voodoo.

He doesn't seem very forthcoming about Hoodoo. Maybe we should ask him about the murders...

sierra_2332.png

DrJohn.png
The killings in the newspaper? I know that they have nothing to do with true Voodoo in New Orleans.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What makes you think the Voodoo Murders AREN'T being done by local practitioners?

DrJohn.png
Voodoo is a popular bogeyman, Mr. Knight, especially in New Orleans. Anyone can pretend to use it, just as anyone can pretend to be a black belt in Karate, and for the same reason--to intimidate.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Are you sure about this ?

DrJohn.png
I know Voodoo in this city, Mr. Knight, and believe me, it is not about killing. Even the police have stated that the killings have nothing to do with local Voodoo.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So you know nothing about the Voodoo Murders case?

DrJohn.png
I neither know nor care to know, Mr. Knight. My only possible interest is in how it might affect the public's attitude towards the museum. So far, it has not been an issue. No one has even had the bad taste to bring it up. Until you, that is.

It seems we hit a sore spot. Let's go back to the historical stuff, he did mention a certain Voodoo queen...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me more about Marie Laveau.

sierra_2349.png

DrJohn.png
The original--the mother--was also known as Widow Paris. It was she that began the empire. When the Widow Paris began to practice there were many Voodooiennes in the city. By 1830 she was Voodoo queen of all New Orleans.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
How did she manage that ?

DrJohn.png
The Widow Paris was a hairdresser for rich Creole ladies. She also paid household servants to spy for her. Between the two, she knew everything about everyone who mattered in New Orleans. She was not above using her information to appear psychic, to intimidate, or even to blackmail.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You sound as though you admire her.

DrJohn.png
For a black woman in the mid 1800's to gain power is an incredible thing, Mr. Knight, however she achieved it.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What else can you tell me about her ?

DrJohn.png
She kept a pet snake--danced with it, too. She held traditional Voodoo ceremonies out by the lake. She took herself seriously--very seriously--but she was not above selling tickets for her 'events' to curiosity-seekers.

DrJohn.png
She was not above using Voodoo any way she could to make money, that is for certain. But if she had been in another line of work, in another age, that would been interpreted as entrepreneurial genius rather than a sign of fraudulence.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hey, you don't need to convince me. I admire anyone that can actually make a living.

DrJohn.png
It was Marie Laveau who defined the Voodoo that is truly and uniquely the Voodoo of New Orleans."

sierra_2365.png

DrJohn.png
Her daughter, Marie Glapion, took over when the Widow Paris got old. Most people thought it was the same Marie Laveau. Both Maries encouraged that point of view.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Huh.

DrJohn.png
The Widow Paris died in 1881. Marie Glapion had been reigning a long time by then. After the death of the Widow Paris, other Voodoo queens surfaced and by 1890, the cult was fragmented again. Marie Glapion just sort of faded away.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Anything else you can tell me about her ?

DrJohn.png
The Laveau tomb--where one or both of the Maries are believed to be buried--is in St. Louis Cemetery #1. It is a popular shrine for practitioners and tourists alike. I, myself, take tours through the cemetery on a regular basis.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really? Do you have any running this week?

DrJohn.png
No, but the cemetery is open to the general public as well.

We'll keep that in mind. Now, snakes seem to play a big role in Voodoo and we DID find a snake scale in the lake...

sierra_2379.png

DrJohn.png
Ah! You have perhaps noticed the museum's snake, Mr. Knight? They are beautiful creatures, do you not agree? And the tourists seem to associate them with Voodoo.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Is the snake yours? Do you use it in your practice of Voodoo?

DrJohn.png
I admire the spirit of the snake, Mr. Knight, but snakes like the museum's can be quite dangerous to handle.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You didn't really answer my question...

DrJohn.png
I think I did, Mr. Knight.

Evasive like a snake.
Maybe he can shed some light on that strange phrase we heard though...

sierra_2389.png

DrJohn.png
I fear my French is not all it should be, Mr. Knight.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You're sure you haven't heard the term ?

DrJohn.png
I am sure, Mr. Knight.

What about Malia Gedde? She did refer Gabe to this museum after all...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you know Malia Gedde?

DrJohn.png
Should I?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
She referred me to your museum.

DrJohn.png
Many have read about our museum in the newspapers, Mr. Knight.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That's a good point.

Well, we learned a lot of stuff about the history of Voodoo, but not much about current events. Maybe we should show him the murder photo:

sierra_2405.png

sierra_2407.png

DrJohn.png
Mmmm! This is truly offensive! This is from one of those recent killings, is it not?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Well, actually...

DrJohn.png
But the police already know that this so-called 'Voodoo ritual' is fake! Voodoo is a respectable religion. This kind of thing has nothing to do with Voodoo in this city!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Fine, let's say that's true. Are you sure there's nothing about the items in this photo...

DrJohn.png
There is NOTHING about this...sickness that I would identify as Voodoo. Nothing!

The good doctor went haywire, I think we should drop the subject for now.
It would be nice if we got a closer look to that snake though...

sierra_2427.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That snake...

DrJohn.png
Is deadly--which is why the cage is out of public reach.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I see.

Nothing more for us here, but Dr. John did mention the Cemetery. Maybe we should pay a visit...

sierra_2443.png

sierra_2445.png

Right in front of us we find Marie Laveu's tomb:

sierra_2449.png

Odd-looking marks adorn the Laveau tomb wall...

sierra_2453.png

Hmmm, it seems to be some sort of code. Let's copy them in our notebook.

sierra_2460.png

Food, trinkets, and more unsettling things have been left at Marie Laveau's tomb as offerings from believers. It wouldn't be wise to mess with them, but something else catches our attention :

sierra_2466.png

Maybe we can use it to make our own graffiti sometime, we'll take it.

sierra_2468.png

We move on to find Gabriel's family tomb:

sierra_2474.png

Gabriel says a few words to his ancestors and then decides he should also speak to the living:

sierra_2493.png

watchman.png
Yeah ? What can I do for you ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You been working here a long time?

watchman.png
Longer than you've been alive, Son. I mayhaps be here longer than you'll BE alive, for that matter. Heh.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Kind of a quiet job you've got, isn't it?

watchman.png
Most of the time, yes. They act up some at the full moon, though. Hah, hah!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Mind if I pick your brain a minute?

watchman.png
Go ahead. These folks aren't in any hurry.

sierra_2505.png

We ask him about himself.

watchman.png
My name is Toussaint Gervais. I'm the watchman here at St. Louis #1.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What exactly do you do here?

watchman.png
Oh, I keep the place tidy, 'course. But a big part of my job, too, is lookin' out for the grievers, you know. People come to pay their respects, and they need lookin' out for. Sometimes they're so grief-bound, they don't know what they're doin'.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Tell me about St. Louis Cemetery #1.

watchman.png
You know why the dead are buried in tombs, and not in the ground, doncha? The water table's too high. Them coffins would float right outta their graves! Hah, hah! Them dead would go floating right down into the Quarter! 'Course if it were Mardi Gras, nobody'd even notice!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It's a pretty old cemetery, isn't it ?

watchman.png
It's a historical place. People buried in here from the Civil War--and back further, too. Take a look around. You'll see.

The old chap doesn't know anything about Voodoo or the murders, but maybe he can tell us something about the Legendary Voodoo Queen :

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you know anything about Marie Laveau?

sierra_2547.png

watchman.png
Believers still come to her tomb, you know. They write secret marks on the walls, leave offerin's.... Then there's the tourists. They come out of curiosity. As a matter of fact, that big Dr. John fella from that Voodoo museum? He's here at least once a day.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Yeah, I've talked to him.

watchman.png
But Marie Laveau's tomb isn't the only one the believers visit and make markin's and leave offerin's at. Anyway, Her tomb's on all our tours. Even the Baptists come round here to gawk.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What else can you tall me about her ?

watchman.png
You may not know this, but some of the real serious Voodoo types argue that she ain't in this one at all, but down in an unmarked tomb in #3.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really ?

watchman.png
's'all the same to me, I say. Save me a lot of clean-up work if she WEREN'T here, if you ask me."

Didn't he say something about other marked tombs?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You said there were other marked tombs?

sierra_2567.png

watchman.png
...animal parts, HUMAN parts, even, it looked like. MALE parts, if you get my meanin'.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really...?

watchman.png
And this at one of the great family crypts, mind you. Odd, how them types just pick a spot and stick to it.

Hmm, a Great family crypt...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What other tombs get marked? Can you show me?

watchman.png
No, no. I ain't one for namin' names. I don't like to encourage that kind of thing--it's distressin' to the families and rightly so.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Why do they mark those tombs ?

watchman.png
Don't know how that sort of thing gets started--why folks come to start leavin' stuff at that one spot, but it happens all the same.

We wont get anything else from him, so we go on to search the rest of the cemetery.
The right-most part is dominated by a big family tomb :

sierra_2589.png

So that's Malia's Family tomb... An angel draped dramatically over a stone plinth marks the entrance. It's locked, but a strange plate catches our attention :

sierra_2600.png

Locked and unreachable to Gabriel, like Malia's heart. With a feeling of surrender Gabriel decides to leave the Cemetery and visit the vodooeine Dr. John suggested. It's about time we met one of those :

sierra_2601.png

sierra_2606.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I guess so. My name is....

moonbeam.png
Wait! ...Gabriel Knight.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You're too quick for me.

moonbeam.png
Actually, Dr. John told me. You have come to the right place, Mr. Knight. Tell me how I can help.

We sit on the comfortable chair and have a look around.

sierra_2612.png

Magential Moonbeam is wrapped in gauze and silks. She looks vaguely mysterious and mysteriously vague. Next to her lies one of our reptilian friends...

sierra_2621.png

Apparently Magentia is not a fastidious housekeeper --a shed skin shares the cage with its original owner. Could it be the snake from the lake ? We should find a way to investigate.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Dr. John tells me you're a Voodoo practitioner of some kind.

moonbeam.png
Yes. I am a Voodooienne--a Voodoo priestess.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you know Dr. John well?

moonbeam.png
Oh, yes! We are old friends. Those with gifts are often drawn together.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So let's say I came to you wanting to attract a woman. What would you advise?

moonbeam.png
I wouldn't think you have any trouble attracting women, Mr. Knight.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Uh...no. I guess I don't.

Damn, no love potion for Gabe. We move to more serious questioning:

sierra_2651.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
How did you get into this business?

moonbeam.png
I trained in the Voodoo arts for many years with the great Queen Tabitha.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really? Who's she?

moonbeam.png
You have never heard of her? For shame! I can see you know little of the world of magic!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I'm beginning to get that impression, yes. How many Voodooiennes are there?

moonbeam.png
No one knows, exactly--many practice in secret. There are probably hundreds. But, of course, the level and the power of the Voodooiennes differ greatly depending on their training and natural gifts.

That's enough about her, what about the actual voodoo ?

sierra_2683.png

moonbeam.png
You know, everything from unrequited love to wandering spouses to winning a law suit.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Oh.

moonbeam.png
But my spells and charms are powerful, and they work!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What else can you tell me about your craft ?

moonbeam.png
Much of a Voodooienne's work is protecting her clients from the spells of others. I mix special protective gris gris to be worn in secret. They keep evil spells from working against my clients.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Give me an example of a gris gris.

moonbeam.png
All right. Here's an old one: take a lodestone and some brimstone to a crossroads at midnight. Light the brimstone with a match. A spirit will come and give you advice in gambling.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Nice. Tell me more.

moonbeam.png
Here's an old Hoodoo doctor gris gris: place a dime under your client's tongue. If the client is under a spell of any kind, the dime will turn black.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That sure is useful. Any more examples ?

moonbeam.png
Here's a nasty one. To kill someone, get a sock or shoe that belongs to that person. Put graveyard dirt in it and bury it under their front steps.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Does that WORK?

moonbeam.png
I don't know. I never tried it.

Before we run off to steal shoes, we ask about the hot topic :

sierra_2709.png

moonbeam.png
Why, that has nothing to do with me and my clientele!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I didn't mean...

moonbeam.png
But I can tell you that you should stay as far from it as possible! There is badness there--very bad!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So you don't think the Voodoo aspects of the case are fake?

moonbeam.png
Fake? Let me tell you about fake! If I get information through the grapevine and make use of it, is that fake? No! That is part of a Voodooienne's power.

sierra_2717.png

moonbeam.png
But there are things, Monsieur.... Things not even a little bit fake, I can tell you. Believe it or not, but stay away from it!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What do you mean? Do you know something about the case?

moonbeam.png
I work hard on fine-tuning my spiritual antennae, Monsieur Knight, and I get a clear signal from that direction--BEWARE!

Uh-oh, she's pretty upset. Let's try to change the subject:

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Do you have any idea what cabrit sans cor means ?

moonbeam.png
No. No, I don't

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What can you tell me about the role of snakes in voodoo ?

moonbeam.png
Snakes? You mean like my beloved Grimwald? She's a python, you know--quite deadly in the wrong hands. I was trained by one of the great Voodoo queens to learn how to hypnotize and handle snakes.

sierra_2754.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Where did you get Grimwald?

moonbeam.png
She belonged to a traveling reptile show. She was being terribly mistreated, so I offered to buy her. She's named after a spirit guide I had once. The spirit Grimwald was a very powerful female snake priestess in Egyptian times.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Grimwald doesn't sound Egyptian.

moonbeam.png
I only know what the spirits tell me, Monsieur. I am sure they know better than we.

:lol: I don't know if Grimwald is from Egypt, but we'll need to examine his scales.

sierra_2767.png

moonbeam.png
No, I couldn't do that! You might do some gris gris of your own, no? One must be very careful with such things--hair clippings, nail parings...and snake scales.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Uh, no problem. Tell me something else about her then.

moonbeam.png
You have to be careful when handling a snake. They're more delicate than they look.

That gives me a cunning idea...

sierra_2783.png

moonbeam.png
Really? You would like to see me dance, perhaps?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That would be...swell.

moonbeam.png
I won't make you wait, Monsieur Knight!

sierra_2788.png

Snake dancing is serious business.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I'll give it my best shot.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, miss Salome and the snake ! Watch her take the pleasures from the serpent that once corrupted man..."

sierra_2793.png

And the mysteriously sensual dance begins...

sierra_2800.png

sierra_2808.png

Miss Moonbeam seems like she's in a trance. It's time to make our move !

sierra_2809.png

sierra_2816.png

Gotcha ! We sit back in the chair and try to look inconspicuous.

sierra_2823.png

And the dance ends. She didn't notice the missing shedded skin.

moonbeam.png
There. Truly inspiring, isn't it ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That's certainly one word for it.

Heh. I'm guessing Gabe has his hands placed strategically to conceal his "excitement".

Ok, let's try to gather more information. We show her the photo from the crime scene :

sierra_2830.png

moonbeam.png
That's from those Voodoo Murders, isn't it? That has nothing to do with me!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Are you sure you can't tell me anything about this photo?

moonbeam.png
I'd rather not look at it again!

What about the symbols we found on Marie Laveau's tomb ?

sierra_2837.png

moonbeam.png
Ah! The Voodoo code! It is very secret, yes? I studied it with my mentor, the great Queen Tabitha.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Really? Great! Can you tell me what it says?

moonbeam.png
Hmmm. Let me see.

moonbeam.png
Well, some of it is nonsense, I'm afraid. Whoever wrote this wasn't very good.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That's all right. Just tell me what it says.

moonbeam.png
It starts with a 'D' and 'J'. Then...okay, this part makes sense. It says 'conclave tonight bring'...then there's more nonsense. 'F', 'W', 'E', 'T', 'K', 'A', 'S', 'H'.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hmm...

moonbeam.png
That last bit might mean 'cash.' Fresh cash? It doesn't make much sense.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That's okay. Thanks.

D, J...conclave...K-A-S-H. Is it a rave party, or something even more sinister ? Anyway, It's a start.

sierra_2872.png

We also sneak a peak on that snake skin :

sierra_2874.png

We use the magnifying glass and...

sierra_2878.png

So, miss Moonbeam is in the clear, she didn't look like an evil voodoo mastermind, anyway. Time to say our goodbyes:

sierra_2881.png

As we leave, she offers us more spiritual wisdom...

moonbeam.png
And remember Mr. Knight, the only vice is the absence of love.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I've... heard that. Bye now.

Everyone seems to be pouring salt in Gabriel's wounds. Disillusioned he decides to go to the Dixieland drugstore in search for a love potion :

sierra_2889.png

Suddenly, an elderly woman busts into the store. She's holding a little dog and looks upset.

sierra_2892.png

cazanoux.png
Bonjour, Monsieur Walker.

Willy.png
Bienvenu, Madame Cazaunoux. Comment ca va? How you be feeling today?

cazanoux.png
Well, I'll tell you, Mr. Walker, I'm certain someone's buried a Sleep Not Bag somewhere near my steps. I haven't slept a wink in weeks.

Willy.png
Ah, don't that beat all? Gonna need some Easy Night Candles then?

cazanoux.png
Do you think that would help? I do hope you're right. I said three rosaries this morning for Our Lady's intervention.

Willy.png
Rosaries are good, sure enough, but you burn those candles, too, and you're gonna whip any old no sleep gris gris, I tell you for sure.

sierra_2903.png

cazanoux.png
Oh, and there's another thing! I didn't catch her at it, but I KNOW Mrs. Le Fevre put Stomach Ache Powder in my tea at the last meeting of the Creole Grande Dames. I've been in misery!

Willy.png
You put nine pins heads up in a little box, add a pinch of graveyard dust, and put it under her front porch step. That'll turn the trick back on Mrs. Le Fevre, and SHE'll be the one with the bellyache. I have the pins and the dust right here if you want them.

cazanoux.png
If the Blessed Virgin will grant me her protection, I'll be safe from these practitioners of evil!

Willy.png
Oui, Madame, though it don't hurt to be proactive none, neither, does it?

cazanoux.png
Naturellement, Monsieur. Merci beaucoup.

Willy.png
Mais non, Madame. It is nothing. Au revoir.

cazanoux.png
Au revoir, Monsieur Walker.

She sure seemed like a crazy old lady, but maybe we should track her down and see what she can tell us about voodoo...

sierra_2925.png

Willy.png
Customer?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
The woman I saw in here. Madame Cazaunoux, you called her.

Willy.png
I don't talk about my customers to men who come in off the street.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It's important that I talk to Madame Cazaunoux. You see, I'm doing some research and...

Willy.png
I can't tell you anything about her.

What a prick ! We won't be bying any of his love potions, that's for sure.
Let's head back to the bookstore:

sierra_2948.png

Grace-sm.png
The excitement of seeing you is killing me.

Gabe-sm.png
Keeping busy ?

Grace-sm.png
Not really. If you need any research done, let me know.

Actually, we have something for her :

sierra_2968.png

Grace-sm.png
Madame Cazaunoux? Is she 'related to the murders' the same way your friend, Malia Gedde, was?

Gabe-sm.png
Grace! Cazaunoux's at least seventy!

Grace-sm.png
As if that makes a difference to you. Okay. I'll see what I can find.

Gabe-sm.png
Thanks.

And with that, the day is coming to an end.

sierra_2978.png

Gabe-sm.png
Have a nice night, Grace.

Grace-sm.png
You too. See you tomorrow.

sierra_2990.png

But the dreams will assault Gabriel's sleep once more...

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome as always, but some of the portraits during dialogues are wrong. That, or poor Gabriel suffers from a multiple personality disorder ;)

lightbane

Arcane
You didn't fix these two:

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Madame Cazaunoux? Is she 'related to the murders' the same way your friend, Malia Gedde, was?

Gabe-sm.png
Grace! Cazaunoux's at least seventy!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh damn. Fixed.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the rich text editor and the half-assed bbc-code editor ?

spekkio

Arcane
Use goddamned notepad, like everyone else....

:roll:

Topic: Oh, the sweet and short period of time when computer games had quality writing. I salute you!

:salute:

And an OP as well, despite his lack of graphicswhorish spirit...

:rpgcodex:

TBH gameplay in adventure games is really not my cup of tea - I can pop moles in mario or doom or descent or tactical games all day, but clicking through >1000 dialogue options...

:roll:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
spekkio
Yeah yeah, I'm using notepad, but still I have to deal with that sluggish shit that also changes parts of the bbcode after the post is submitted. It's like someone (me) is giving them a superbly written batch of playtested code and they're turning it into Troika mess.

Cassidy
Before starting this LP I did a run of the whole GK trilogy. GK2 has a great story, like all GK games, but frankly it was a bit disappointing after playing GK1. The interactivity is limited, descriptions are scarce, dialog options are few and the pixel-hunting is more annoying. You can blame all this to FMV.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Guess what, it's another sweaty night for Gabriel...

sierra_003.png
sierra_011.png
sierra_012.png
sierra_015.png

sierra_016.png
sierra_017.png
sierra_018.png
sierra_021.png

sierra_026.png
sierra_028.png
sierra_032.png
sierra_034.png

sierra_3043.png
sierra_3046.png
sierra_3049.png
sierra_3051.png

sierra_3053.png
sierra_052.png
sierra_054.png
sierra_057.png

A new piece of the dream puzzle. Blood that turned into a dagger, that turned into snakes...

sierra_3087.png

Day 3 : In the City of the Dead.

Chapter 6 Soundtrack :

Another perfect day.

sierra_3101.png

Gabe-sm.png
Mmmm.

Grace-sm.png
I also checked out Cazaunoux. There are multiple listings in the white pages. I got the page, but you'll have to figure out the right one.

Gabe-sm.png
Great. Thanks.

sierra_3121.png

Gabe-sm.png
MMMMM.

Grace-sm.png
Don't tell me you actually got to see her?

Gabe-sm.png
Are the stars out tonight...

Grace-sm.png
You don't SERIOUSLY think she's interested. She can have any man in the city! You know, men with bank accounts!

Gabe-sm.png
You underestimate the Knight family's 'tragic poet-samurai' appeal. When Daddy married Mom she was the hottest catch in town.

Grace-sm.png
Hmph. I always suspected there was something fishy in your family tree. But seriously, I think you should be careful.

Gracie is being catty ... :D

Gabe-sm.png
Me-OW, Grace.

Grace-sm.png
I'm SERIOUS! I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this...

Gabe-sm.png
It's called jealousy, my dear. And you're right. You SHOULD be jealous of Malia Gedde. As should every woman on this planet.

Grace-sm.png
<sigh> I just.... Oh, never mind. I'll just fix these books. Your life is in your own slippery little hands.

Gabe-sm.png
The point is to get it into somebody else's hands--and soon!

No need to tell Grace that Malia actually threw us out of her place yesterday. Instead, let's play it cool, drink the coffee and read the paper :

sierra_3165.png

Gabe-sm.png
Under the Cultural Events section there's a notice about a lecture on "African Religions." The lecture is at Tulane University.

African Religions ? Voodoo should be in the menu. We make a mental note to check it out. Next, we have a look at the daily horrorscope :

sierra_3169.png

Gabe-sm.png
Lighten up !

Seriously, whoever writes this is morbid as hell.
Let's ask Grace about the messages.

sierra_3203.png

Grace-sm.png
Your pal Mosely called. He left a message that they're interrogating a suspect this morning, and you MIGHT want to be there.

Gabe-sm.png
Sounds fun!

Grace-sm.png
Mmmm-hmmm. I bet. That man from Germany called again. Wolfgang Ritter? Now he's claiming to be a relative of yours.

Gabe-sm.png
Wolfgang Ritter...

Grace-sm.png
I took down his number In case you changed your mind and want to give him a call back.

Gabe-sm.png
Thanks, I might do that.

It's time we used this incredible invention called "Telephone". We take a look at the page Grace gave us :

sierra_3231.png

That's the reason we have an assistant, folks, so we don't have to go through the trouble of opening the yellow pages.
We start calling the numbers randomly... and eventually :

sierra_3257.png

Gabe-sm.png
Hello. I'm calling from the Dixieland Drug Store. We have an order for you.

"Yap-yap! Yap!"

cazanoux.png
Castro, be quiet! Who is this?

It's definitely the right number !

Gabe-sm.png
I'm a friend of the owner.

cazanoux.png
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. Goodbye.

Dammit, that old lady is completely paranoid, we'll have to approach this another way. Since she has a dog she probably takes him to a veterinary clinic. There was an add for such a clinic on the phone book page ! Let's try it.

sierra_3284.png

We can ask about snakes and animal sacrifice, but it won't get us anywhere.

Gabe-sm.png
Do you have a Madame Cazaunoux as a client?

museum%2Bassistant-sm.png
Madame Cazaunoux? Sure, I know her. She's not here right now, though.

Gabe-sm.png
Really? Hmmm. She told me she'd be there. Would you happen to have her address, by any chance?

Ah, yes, but I'm not sure I should give it out. Who are you again?

sierra_3300.png

Castro, her little doggie? Oh, he's so sweet.

Gabe-sm.png
He is, isn't he ?

Well, I guess if you know Castro, it's okay. Her address is 345 Dauphine.

Gabe-sm.png
Thanks.

Southern suaveness always does the trick :D
Now, since Ritter was Gabriel's grandfather real name, this Wolfgang Ritter that's calling might actually be a relative. Thus, Gabriel reluctantly decides to call Germany...

sierra_3311.png

Gabe-sm.png
I'm looking for Wolfgang Ritter.

Ja! Einen Moment.

wolfgang-phone.png
Ja, is this Gabriel on the phone?

Gabe-sm.png
This is Gabriel Knight. Why are you calling me, Mr. Ritter?

wolfgang-phone.png
I have been having premonitions of great danger for you, Gabriel. You must leave New Orleans this very day!

Gabe-sm.png
What the hell are you talking about?

wolfgang-phone.png
It is hard to explain on the phone. I have had...senses, feelings about you. It took me a long time to have you tracked down.

sierra_3324.png

Gabe-sm.png
You say you're related to my grandfather?

wolfgang-phone.png
Yes! Heinz was my brother! There is much about the family that you should know, Gabriel! Come to Schloss Ritter in Rittersberg, West Germany. It is our family home. I will tell you everything when you come. You must come immediately. You are in great danger there!

Gabe-sm.png
Look, I appreciate the family spirit and all, but frankly, I don't know you from Adam, and I'm not going to fly off to Germany, even if I COULD afford it!

wolfgang-phone.png
Gabriel, please! If you won't listen, at least let me send you something. It is a journal from one of your ancestors. Promise me you will read it.

Gabe-sm.png
Well, I'm pretty busy.

wolfgang-phone.png
PLEASE, Gabriel. You are the last of our line. I am too old to carry on--you are our last hope. PLEASE--for your family--read the journal.

Gabe-sm.png
...All right. I'll look at it.

wolfgang-phone.png
Good. Now be careful, and come to me as soon as you can. Good-bye.

The plot thickens ! What is the Ritter family all about ?
Oh well, we'll just have to wait for that journal. For now, let's head out.

sierra_3358.png

We should check out if that artist did anything with those voodoo symbols...

sierra_3367.png

painter.png
What?! Oh, it's only you.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
That's right. What's up ?

painter.png
Man, I have been jumpy all day. That...that pattern of yours really freaked me out for some reason. There's just something...creepy.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You finished it?

painter.png
Yeah, and you're welcome to it. Here.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Wow, this is great!

painter.png
Uh-huh. Just don't, like, blow up the planet with it or something, okay?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I didn't mean to upset you.

painter.png
Ah, forget it. I'm probably just being stupid. Do your thing with it, and good luck.

Let's have a look :

sierra_3385.png

whoops...

exploding-earth.jpg

Ok, that didn't happen, but it's creepy indeed. Desperate to look for something easier on the eyes, Gabriel spots a sexy fortuneteller in the park.

sierra_3385a.png

It seems she spotted him too :

sierra_3388.png

...And she starts her sensual dance :

sierra_3400.png

sierra_3416.png

Just looking won't cut it this time. We should proceed to grabbing :

sierra_3440.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
<wolf whistle> Mmmm, Baby, I love the way you ...move.

sierra_3444.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Yep. She wants me.

Then she starts teasing him with her veil :

sierra_3448.png

sierra_3455.png

sierra_3461.png

And she proceeds to show even more skin. That woman has gone wild !

sierra_3462.png

sierra_3464.png

The Axe ad eventually ends and she goes back to her booth, but with all this excitement she has forgotten her veil.

sierra_3475.png

Gabe, like a good gentleman, picks it up :

sierra_3479.png

Like a good investigator, he also examines it :

sierra_3485.png

All right, a scale from her Boa ! Let's compare it with the scale from the lake :

sierra_3494.png

Good. At last, Gabriel may get lucky...

sierra_3500.png

fortuneteller.png
Oh, my veil! I'm always losing those things--you have no idea...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I'm glad to be of service.

fortuneteller.png
Well, darling, you're such a sweetie to return a lady's delicates--and soooo handsome as well.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Well, I...

fortuneteller.png
And since you have such a clear...interest in fortunetelling, let me see your hands. They look soooo strong. Perhaps they will make both our fortunes clear, no?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I wish something would.

fortuneteller.png
Mmmm, strong, yes, and yet so delicate and...flexible <sigh>.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You don't know the half of it. :smug:

fortuneteller.png
Oh, good! I see a mysterious woman in your immediate future!

sierra_3519.png

fortuneteller.png
She is a dangerous one, dark and beautiful. Ah...I see the road of your life forking, and very soon....

Gabe-coat-sm.png
...Yes ?

fortuneteller.png
...!

The blood drains from Madame Lorelei's face in an instant. Sweat beads on her upper lip.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Are you okay?

Like in a trance, she speaks with an otherwordly voice :

sierra_3534.png

fortuneteller.png
Oh, God! Beware! BEWARE!

And with that, she runs away.

sierra_3548.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
What IS it about me lately?

Poor Gabe, he can't get a break. He's probably paying for all his sins. Maybe we should pay a visit to the nearby cathedral.

sierra_3561.png

To the left you can see the confessionals. Perhaps Gabriel should ask for forgiveness...

sierra_3572.png

We have a look around while we wait:

sierra_3606.png

And then the priest arrives :

sierra_3609.png

priest.png
All right. If it will make you feel better.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I've had impure thoughts about a woman I met.

priest.png
Impure thoughts? You mean thoughts of sexual relations?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
You could say that... But worse than what you mean.

priest.png
Worse? You mean... extreme sexual relations?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Well...not involving animals or anything.

priest.png
Oh. Well. I see. Perhaps we should just leave it at that. Pray for forgiveness and say ten rosaries.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I've also done some pretty rotten things to my friend, Mosely.

priest.png
Rotten? What do you mean?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Practical jokes. Insults. Among other things.

priest.png
I see. Are you sorry?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Well...

priest.png
Pray for forgiveness and say three rosaries. Is there anything else?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Nope, that's it.

priest.png
Good-bye, then. Peace go with you.

With a weight lifted off his shoulders Gabriel looks around the church. There's an inconspicuous door near the chancel, let's check it out :

sierra_3624.png

There are some green candles in the room, could this mean anything ?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Nah...

Yeah, the priest wouldn't be part of some satanic voodoo cult, would he ? We restrain ourselves from stealing any of his stuff and leave the place sin-free. We also do as the he suggested :

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Thirteen rosaries !

I'm sure that did the trick. I guess our next stop will be the police station, Mosely did say something about interrogating a suspect :

sierra_3637.png

sierra_3644.png

Whoops

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Sure. Thanks for letting me borrow it.

mosley.png
Yeah? You BORROW it again, and you're history. <a-hem> Now, about today...

sierra_3657.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I'm sure it'll be invigorating. Who is this guy, anyway?

mosley.png
Calls himself Crash. He's been an informant for us before--mostly helping us bust small-time pimps and dealers trying to break into the territory.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Uh-uh.

mosley.png
He's been staying invisible during these murders, but we picked him up this morning at Jackson Square pushing coke. He knows something. Call it 'detective's instinct.'

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Detective's instinct. Got it.

It's collar-grabbing time !

sierra_3669.png

crash.png
I don't know nothing, I told ya!

mosley.png
Come on now. You can tell me. Do you know anyone who's been to these rituals?

crash.png
Look, I can't say nothing! Ya gotta let me go!

mosley.png
Relax. No one knows you're here. The men who picked you up were plainclothes men.

crash.png
Plainclothed! Like you could fool them! They know I'm here. They've got ears all over the city! They know everything!

mosley.png
Who are 'they,' Crash? Are 'they' the ones doing the murders?

crash.png
Lemme go!

sierra_3688.png

crash.png
Witness protection! Are you crazy? Don't make me laugh.... Jesus, just lemme outta here!

mosley.png
Oh, come on! Who's behind these murders, Crash? Why are the victims all members of the underworld?

crash.png
By now they know I'm here. It's different when I'm supposed to come here. If I can send a message, tell them I didn't say nothing...

Damn, this guy is scared shitless...

mosley.png
Christ! He's frickin' useless! Take him back to detaining, would you, Tony?

Hmm, the interrogation didn't go very well.

sierra_3709.png

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Can I quote you on that?

mosley.png
Huh? Hell, no! Damn! We can only keep him for twenty-four hours. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna have to let him go.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
He sure looked scared...

mosley.png
Sorry it wasn't more exciting--for the book, I mean. Maybe you can punch it up some. You know, what do they call that? Fiction! That's it.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
It certainly is. I'll see what I can do.

Let's see if we can get any more info from him :

sierra_3728.png

mosley.png
Is she that red-headed chick that works at Freddy's?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Er...no.

mosley.png
Then I don't know her.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
So, what's the status on the Voodoo Murders case?

mosley.png
It sure as hell ain't goin' well. There are a lot of brakes being applied in different areas of the investigation.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
How do you mean ?

mosley.png
We're gettin' some real info on the victims now, and they're not exactly upstanding citizens.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
And no one knows anything about them ?

mosley.png
I was hoping to get more out of Crash, but he's scared shitless. We'll have to let him go tomorrow morning."

Maybe we should show him the reconstructed pattern :

sierra_3752.png

mosley.png
That's cute, Gabriel. Almost looks legit. I'm sure our police artists would be amused at your 'techniques.'

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Yeah... I'm sure they will. I'm gonna hit the road, Mose.

mosley.png
Ciao, baby.

We'll need more clues to convince him the voodoo angle could be real.
Hmmm, Maybe Grace can help us find out what this pattern is about.

sierra_3773.png

Grace-sm.png
Really ? I forgot you were gone.

We should keep that pretty head of hers busy :

sierra_3788.png

Grace-sm.png
How interesting. What is it?

Gabe-sm.png
It's a reconstruction of the tracings they've found around the murder victims--the ones done in flour and blood.

Grace-sm.png
Yuck! You shouldn't carry this kind of thing around. Who knows WHAT these symbols mean!

Gabe-sm.png
Well, wear your 'evil banishing' gloves if you want, but check it out for me, would you?

Grace-sm.png
Ok, I'll see what I can find out.

Great, so what's out next move ? How about going back to the cemetery and check if the code on the Laveau tomb has changed ?

sierra_3846.png

sierra_3850.png

Damn. Nothing's changed.
As Gabriel strolls among the tombs he finds himself near the Gedde mausoleum :

sierra_3862.png

The door opens and Malia steps out. Gabriel hides behind one of the smaller tombs.

sierra_3866.png

As she walks by, he pops up like a mole !

sierra_3876.png

malia.png
Mr. Knight! What are you doing here?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Uh, my family's tomb is here.

malia.png
Mine, too.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I noticed. Subtle.

malia.png
Well, Mr. Knight, if there's nothing else...

But Gabe won't let go. Literary.

sierra_3893.png

malia.png
Whatever for?

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I can't stop thinking about you. I've been in your thoughts, too. I can see it in your eyes.

malia.png
Mr. Knight, you don't know anything about me. I'm not in a position to get involved...

Gabe-coat-sm.png
I've said that a million times myself, but this is different. I think we both know we can't fight it.

sierra_3924.png

malia.png
I have so many obligations. My family is very traditional. You wouldn't understand.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Hey, I love tradition! I've seen 'Fiddler on the Roof' a hundred times!

malia.png
This isn't a musical, Mr. Knight. We live in different worlds!

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Look, I know you've got more money than God. Do you think I care? Do you think that's why I'm saying this?

malia.png
No. I don't.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
Why don't you come SEE my world? I have a little book shop, St. George's on Bourbon...

malia.png
I know.

Gabe-coat-sm.png
See, I knew it! You're crazy about me, too! Come by tonight! Please? My world isn't so bad.

malia.png
I'm sorry, but there's no place for someone like you in my life... Not now, not ever !

sierra_3970.png

sierra_3974.png

sheeeet.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
3 pages my friend. You must have missed about 600 opportunities of making racist jokes by now. Let's face it, this is a game about a blonde and blue-eyed underachiever that faces off against a murderous black voodoo cult. It is codexian..

I know. Even though I'm loosing Kodex Kool Kids points, it's simply an angle I decided not to pursue.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Depending on the day you go for a confession you can get different conversations.

I don't think it's ever mentioned per se, but it's safe to assume his grandmother is faithful and that she took Gabriel to church when he was young. I'm guessing that Gabriel visited the church for the first time in many years, mainly because of the nature of his case. If you try to take the crucifix from the wall in the priest's chamber, the narrator will say that Gabriel doesn't feel guilt-free enough to wield it. Also from the Cazanoux sequence later in the game it seems like Gabriel knows how priests talk, even if his imitation is overplayed and humorous.

I think the Confessions are a pretty cool idea, since on one hand you can have many amusing confessions by Gabriel, and on the other hand some pretty atmospheric moments when he is asking for a blessing, or talking about the crap he's gotten himself into (later in the game).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Malia portrait skin tone in GK always freaked me out. I don't think mulattos or black people can get that red.

Cassidy

Arcane
I really suggest doing GK2 and even GK3 after this, ghostdog. Let's Plays aren't supposed to be exclusively over games the author consider completely fun. Sometimes LPs of mediocre of even shit games are far more amusing than those of good games.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I really suggest doing GK2 and even GK3 after this, ghostdog. Let's Plays aren't supposed to be exclusively over games the author consider completely fun. Sometimes LPs of mediocre of even shit games are far more amusing than those of good games.

:lol: agreed.

RK47

Patron
Malia portrait skin tone in GK always freaked me out. I don't think mulattos or black people can get that red.

agreed. my first thought when i played the game "Gabe, u need to have ur head checked."

RK47

Patron
Gabe hooking up with Grace is canon, though.

:love:
Grace-sm.png

RK47

Patron
first one is the best. 3rd was full of 3derp. 2nd is too FMV...doesn't age well.
The drawn portraits drew me in. How many 1.44 disks was GK1 ? 8? Good game.

Thrombone

Educated
Wonderful, a ghostdog LP!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom