Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Origins announced epically

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Sonic too can be epic

and back to DA, I like the decor on the screenshot. That's what I always loved with IE games: epic backgrounds!

Mareus

Magister
Kingston said:
Good to see that combat won't be in a small 10meter box like in NWN2, ranged characters might make more sense now.

You can arrange the camera in NWN2 to look the same as that DA screenshot. I really hope we get real isometry this time, so I don't have to battle with clunky camera instead of enemies. That's what Bioware promised anyway.

J1M

Arcane
I wish I could see something in that screenshit, but I think the bloom is in the way.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Nothing wrong with a game going to consoles after its PC release. Classic PC games done so in the past.

Hory

Erudite
But there is something wrong. Smart developers would probably design the game keeping in mind that at a point in time it will have to be ported to consoles (and successful). It's one thing when you develop a PC game with no intention of having it ported for consoles, and another when you KNOW this is also a console game.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Hory said:
But there is something wrong. Smart developers would probably design the game keeping in mind that at a point in time it will have to be ported to consoles (and successful). It's one thing when you develop a PC game with no intention of having it ported for consoles, and another when you KNOW this is also a console game.

Don't be stupid. Were Civ 2 and Half-Life designed with "keeping in mind that at a point in time it will have to be ported to consoles"?. And sure their devs were more than smart.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nor halflife nor civ2 were intended to be released on consoles.
Thus they weren't dumbed down for them.

Dragon Age will be dumbed down because they are developing a game for consoles as well. It doesn't matter when will they release it for consoles. They are developing it for consoles. And that's it.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
skyway said:
Dragon Age will be dumbed down because they are developing a game for consoles as well. It doesn't matter when will they release it for consoles. They are developing it for consoles. And that's it.

Utter bullshit. When Bio go the other way around and design a console game that will be released sometime in the future to the PC, do you apply the same logic there and give them at least some credit for developing it with a potential PC release in mind too? Of course not.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Right, because console games sell better and are easier to make.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nor halflife nor civ2 were intended to be released on consoles."

Neither was DA, dumbass.

Besdies, the whole PC vs console thing is simply immature and retarded. Any game that can be made on PC can be made on console. Vice versa as well.

To claim otherwise is pathetically delusional.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
skyway said:

Utter bullshit. When Bio go the other way around and design a console game that will be released sometime in the future to the PC, do you apply the same logic there and give them at least some credit for developing it with a potential PC release in mind too? Of course not.

Of course not. Because when you develop it for PC and consoles which Bioware IS doing now you have to make it playable on every system. Game that requires brains does not meet system requirements of a console. Yet PC has enough players that can live with a casual game for many reasons - see Bioware forums.
And developing two separate games for two platforms is too expensive and time consuming obviously.

Volourn said:
Neither was DA, dumbass.

here I marked a keyword for you

Volourn said:
Any game that can be made on PC can be made on console. Vice versa as well.

Everything is possible. It's just not needed.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Nor halflife nor civ2 were intended to be released on consoles."

Neither was DA, dumbass.

Besdies, the whole PC vs console thing is simply immature and retarded. Any game that can be made on PC can be made on console. Vice versa as well.

To claim that concessions are not being made when developing for consoles (specially when it comes down to user interface and controls) is pathetically delusional.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Of course not. Because when you develop it for PC and consoles which Bioware IS doing now you have to make it playable on every system.

The game IS designed with the PC in mind. That's a given. The potential release in consoles doesn't make it less PC-genuine just like the potential release of Kotor and ME to the PC didn't make them less consolish.

Game that requires brains does not meet system requirements of a console.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

Shoelip

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
Of course not. Because when you develop it for PC and consoles which Bioware IS doing now you have to make it playable on every system.

The game IS designed with the PC in mind. That's a given. The potential release in consoles doesn't make it less PC-genuine just like the potential release of Kotor and ME to the PC didn't make them less consolish.

Game that requires brains does not meet system requirements of a console.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

Developing games for consoles is easier and more profitable. Is someone going to listen to me at some point? Someone other than Volourn?

fastpunk

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:

Bullshit! You have to cater to the lowest common denominator if you want your game to work on both PC and consoles. Cause I really don't see Bioware developing the game with the PC in mind and then rebuilding various elements in order for them to work for consoles. It's easier (and less time consuming) to make something work on consoles and then tweak it a bit for the PC then the other way around. Take a drag-and-drop based inventory screen, it works best on the PC but you can't get that working properly on consoles because of the way their controller is built.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:

a) it is an announced release on consoles. Without a date. Then again DA also has no release date for PC.

b) Do you seriously believe that Bio will bother releasing a hardcore game with real characters deaths, deep storyline that isn't yet another "a cool hero saves the world", complicated mechanics, etc - and then spend time and money dumbing down the finished game for consoles - read remaking a game?
Or shouldn't it be easier to dumb down the game right now which will be cheaper and faster while it isn't ready?

c) Nobody will release a hardcore game on consoles.

Lumpy

Arcane
Volourn said:

No. Consoles are operated with a gamepad and other such handheld devices. It would be delusional to claim that those have the versatility of the mouse and keyboard can be equaled by such devices.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Cause I really don't see Bioware developing the game with the PC in mind and then rebuilding various elements in order for them to work for consoles

You seem to like to make things up so you can argue about them. There have been PC games that would be unthinkable to be played/ported to consoles yet they made their way. And how about the toolset. Not very consolish huh? Why include it for a "console" game that you make it up to be? Your point isn't valid.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Obviously including TES Construction Set makes Oblivion not a dumbed down console game like it is if we will go by your logic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom