Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Origins announced epically

fastpunk

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
Cause I really don't see Bioware developing the game with the PC in mind and then rebuilding various elements in order for them to work for consoles

You seem to like to make things up so you can argue about them. There have been PC games that would be unthinkable to be played/ported to consoles yet they made their way. And how about the toolset. Not very consolish huh? Why include it for a "console" game that you make it up to be? Your point isn't valid.

The toolset is completely besides the point. It's a separate application, I was talking about the game and only the game. I'm not saying it's not doable, it's just not practical. If you design an element of the game (like that inventory screen I mentioned earlier) specifically for the PC (drag-and-drop via mouse) then you'd have to do a complete redesign of said element when porting it to the console in order for it to work. It takes more time and resources. To put it simply, it's easier to create something that works on both platforms then something that works only on one platform and needs a complete redesign in order to work on the other platform too. Of course, this whole thing is far more ample, besides the controller there are also issues like memory size, Direct X version and all that jazz.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Mass Effect was originally developed EXCLUSIVELY FOR A CONSOLE, yet when it came over to the PC it controlled just as well as any of Bioware's PC exclusives. This is why I want the subcontracting thing to happen again. ME was designed around the 360 controller, then foisted off onto Demiurge who built a good PC control scheme. If all goes right, Bioware will build Dragon Age around a mouse and keyboard, then let someone else take the finished product and console-ize it. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for, because it's the exact same process they went through with mass effect, only with the PC coming first, and hey, it worked the first time...

Obviously including TES Construction Set makes Oblivion not a dumbed down console game like it is if we will go by your logic.

Poor example. Oblivion is bad because its developers are bad. It wouldn't be smartened up if it were PC exclusive.

Saxon1974

Prophet
So has anyone heard anything regarding whether the game will be open ended exploration or a more linear path?

I know there are the character "Origin" stories and sounds like you can choose who to ally with.

The fact that they didn't announce a "openly explorable world" makes me wonder how linear it will be.

Unless I missed it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Monkeyfinger said:
Mass Effect was originally developed EXCLUSIVELY FOR A CONSOLE, yet when it came over to the PC it controlled just as well as any of Bioware's PC exclusives. This is why I want the subcontracting thing to happen again. ME was designed around the 360 controller, then foisted off onto Demiurge who built a good PC control scheme. If all goes right, Bioware will build Dragon Age around a mouse and keyboard, then let someone else take the finished product and console-ize it. I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for, because it's the exact same process they went through with mass effect, only with the PC coming first, and hey, it worked the first time...

Obviously including TES Construction Set makes Oblivion not a dumbed down console game like it is if we will go by your logic.

Poor example. Oblivion is bad because its developers are bad. It wouldn't be smartened up if it were PC exclusive.

Morrowind was no where near as stupid as Oblivion and it was PC exclusive until after it's release. Come on. You're just ignoring anything that doesn't support your arguement.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for, because it's the exact same process they went through with mass effect, only with the PC coming first, and hey, it worked the first time..."

And, they did the same with JE.

Plus, we don't even know if DA:O itself is being ported (probably will). Just that games in the franchise will be on different platforms.

Anyways, I hope they do multi platform for sveral reasons.

1. Why not?

2. They turned xbox/xbox 360 exclusives like JE and ME into PC releases. Only fair to turn it around.

3. It makes the retarded, full of themselves, bigoted, crybaby, delusional PC fanboys act even more pathetic. No better than the tools always arguing PS vs Nintendo vs MS. L0L

Awesome.

AzraelCC

Scholar
They already have an interface and an engine already designed for the PC, as seen in the demos, so in doesn't make sense that they're going to 'dumb it down' for the console like a multi-platform release. The first post on this topic even suggests that they are really going for the PC release first, since they don't know when they would release it for the consoles.

The long development time is also a good indication that it won't be as stupid as Oblivion or even Fallout 3, both of which just took a couple of years to finish. Besides, they aren't limited by a projected release date, unlike Oblivion and FO3. The preview on ign even sounds good IMO.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
skyway said:

Why bring up Beth. Bioware practices are different. ME, JE, Kotor didn't have toolsets cause they were designed for consoles. NWN and DA which are designed for the PC have one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
But BG1 and BG2 for PC games and didn't have toolsets. WTF? tHEY WERE CONSOLIZED!!!!

Mareus

Magister
Shoelip said:
Monkeyfinger said:

Morrowind was no where near as stupid as Oblivion and it was PC exclusive until after it's release. Come on. You're just ignoring anything that doesn't support your arguement.
Jesus Christ will you people stop wit this console porting nonsence. If a game is ported to consoles it doesn't mean it sucked on PC. Civilizaton 2 was ported to consoles, Baldur's Gate was ported to consoles, Deus Ex was ported to consoles, etc... Now I don't know how those games worked on the console, but they sure worked fine on the PC. I am pretty sure Oblivio would suck even if itwas PC exclusevly. Oblivion sucks because of story, arrowfordumbpeople, lack of lore, stupid characters, enemy scaling. All of that was the design choice Bethseda made and porting doesn't have anything to do with it. Bethseda claiming Oblivion had to be dumbed down for console players (and they did claim that), is just another proof how retarded they are. Also there are some good games ported from console to PC. Silent Hill 2, Dino Crysis, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7, etc.. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but those games are good.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Morrowind was no where near as stupid as Oblivion and it was PC exclusive until after it's release

All Beth games are stupid. And it was such a PC exclusive that it was released to the xbox one month after the PC. Dumbass.

You're just ignoring anything that doesn't support your arguement.

You'll just make up anything to support yours.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultima Underworld, Wizardry, Might and Magic; awful games ported to consoles.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Baldur's Gate was ported to consoles"

No, it wasn't.

A whole nothe rgame that happened to share the same name was made for consoles. BG was not ported. In fact, it was in the process of being ported to consoles but (PS in fact); and it got canceled. Geez.

Shoelip

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
Morrowind was no where near as stupid as Oblivion and it was PC exclusive until after it's release

All Beth games are stupid. And it was such a PC exclusive that it was released to the xbox one month after the PC. Dumbass.

You're just ignoring anything that doesn't support your arguement.

You'll just make up anything to support yours.

I didn't know they were so close together. Strange. I guess they were testing the waters of the console market. I mean, there's no denying that Morrowind was developed primarily for PC while Oblivion was developed primarily for consoles, even though they claimed it was for both. Most games that have been developed for both at the same time were mostly developed for the stereotypical console audience and console hardware first and foremost.

Thief: Deadly Shadows, Deus Ex 2, Universe at War: Earth Assault, those are just off the top of my head.

bezimek

Scholar
Mass Effect was originally developed EXCLUSIVELY FOR A CONSOLE, yet when it came over to the PC it controlled just as well as any of Bioware's PC exclusives. This is why I want the subcontracting thing to happen again. ME was designed around the 360 controller, then foisted off onto Demiurge who built a good PC control scheme

I don`t know if team/inventory control in ME is good. Maybe above average but not good. IMHO control in ME is very limited and if Bio developed ME for PC control would be much better ( especially inventory/team and dialog system - "manipulating a big wheel that forces you to joke with, boast to, coerce and flatter someone all in one brief "conversation." as somebody write).

It's easier (and less time consuming) to make something work on consoles and then tweak it a bit for the PC then the other way around. Take a drag-and-drop based inventory screen, it works best on the PC but you can't get that working properly on consoles because of the way their controller is built.

So true. Money is everything in gameing bizness.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Team control is very good in ME. Inventory, on the other hand, is plain old fashion shit.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Shoelip said:
I didn't know the were so close together. Strange. I guess they were testing the waters of the console market. I mean, there's no denying that Morrowind was developed primarily for PC while Oblivion was developed primarily for consoles, even though they claimed it was for both.

Doesn't make sense. How can a game that its release on PC/consoles is almost simultaneous can be designed only for the PC. And on the other hand how can a game that is confirmed to arrive at the PC first and the details of its console release are yet undefined and vague be designed with "consoles in mind too".

Mareus

Magister
Volourn said:
"Baldur's Gate was ported to consoles"

No, it wasn't.

A whole nothe rgame that happened to share the same name was made for consoles. BG was not ported. In fact, it was in the process of being ported to consoles but (PS in fact); and it got canceled. Geez.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part, but it's irrelevant. The point was that just because a game gets ported to console it doesn't mean it will be shit.

Shoelip

Arbiter
The Feral Kid said:
Shoelip said:
I didn't know the were so close together. Strange. I guess they were testing the waters of the console market. I mean, there's no denying that Morrowind was developed primarily for PC while Oblivion was developed primarily for consoles, even though they claimed it was for both.

Doesn't make sense. How can a game that its release on PC/consoles is almost simultaneous can be designed only for the PC. And on the other hand how can a game that is confirmed to arrive at the PC first and the details of its console release are yet undefined and vague be designed with "consoles in mind too".

Well they hadn't had success on consoles before Morrowind, so they were most likely testing the waters as it were.

Considering all the blatant outright lies they told us about Oblivion and the end results of their work, it's completely obvious that it was developed for consoles first and that any claims to the contrary were simply lies.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Well they hadn't had success on consoles before Morrowind, so they were most likely testing the waters as it were.

Considering all the blatant outright lies they told us about Oblivion and the end results of their work, it's completely obvious that it was developed for consoles first and that any claims to the contrary were simply lies.

If you're saying that Morrowind is more PC focused compared to Oblivion, I don't disagree. That doesn't make it PC designed which is a whole different thing than just being more PC centered than Oblivion. It's technically impossible considering the one month gap of the PC/console releases. Still less or more consolish or not it doesn't save them from being crap all the same and Beth from being retarded.

Mareus

Magister
Morrowind is actually a good game. No matter what some of you people say. Dialogs are a lot better than in Oblivion, the game does not have any level scaling as far as I know. The story is also good. A lot of focus has been done on the lore and the world is much more diverse and beautiful. There are no voices which all sound the same all the time. No arrow for dumb people. No unkillable NPCs. More items, weapons and armors, etc... Morrowind works actually like an RPG, and although it's not everyones cup of tea I find it one of the best RPGs of all time. If Oblivion was done with the same recepie, but better combat and better dialogs, maybe a abit of choices and consequences, it would really be an incredible game.

Castanova

Prophet
IGN posted a preview:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/890/890260p1 ... Sid=890260

It mostly sounds good. The guy repeatedly references Baldur's Gate-style gameplay and some of the examples sound promising. I am disappointed by their decision to support ME-style perspective and the top-down perspective together and then say - "Oh, don't worry, you can play the entire game from the top-down if you want." Supporting 3rd-person and up-close ME conversations means they spent extra time and resources developing art/engine that would have been unnecessary in top-down only. It means the game is slightly worse off just to support kiddies who never played a Bioware game except for ME.

Also: release scheduled for early 2009... not bad, not bad.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hate to do this.
Like really hate to do this, but i most say that this sounds good and i don't hate it yet.

This could become if we are lucky a Solid Crpg worthy of even Codex praise.

Mareus

Magister
I won't get my hopes up yet. That video where humans charge on the enemy instead of using tactics and archers on the walls still worries me. Even great gamplay of Baldur's Gate caliber can turn to shit with bad story, lack of sense, lack of lore and bland world like ME. Hopefully none of that will happen.

Shoelip

Arbiter
CrimsonAngel said:
I hate to do this.
Like really hate to do this, but i most say that this sounds good and i don't hate it yet.

This could become if we are lucky a Solid Crpg worthy of even Codex praise.

Yes... yes it could... But please say that in the Fallout 3 gameplay footage thread so we can all ask you if you're on Jett, Psycho, and Buffout simultaneously. It's funnier that way.

Come to think of it, has anyone done that before?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom