Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Origins announced epically

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NEWSFLASH; DA will be ported sometime next year after its PC release.

Let the PC crybabies continue whining over this!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

obediah

Erudite
I'm sure I would enjoy DA, despite some gripes.

But I don't see EA every backtracking and selling a PC game again, so I'm going to pass.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminds me of the initial promises made for Mass Effect. Just change 'magic' with 'dark energy'.

DemonKing

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
To be fair I only counted one use of the word epic in that press release.

To be even fairer most Bio games are actually somewhat epic in scope...I think they're entitled to an "epic" or two in a press release.

The GUI screenshot has left me cautiously optimistic after the completely generic trailers. It kind of looked like a cross between BG and Dungeon Siege.

EDIT: The Bio site has been updated with more screenshots and info. including some more GUI images.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/gallery.html

I don't know why, but I really get hope from this screenshot:

gallery_zoomer_exc_5.jpg

fastpunk

Arbiter
sportforredneck said:

I like the small, clean HUD, it's a good start. Though I have a feeling that this will turn out as some sort of simplified (yet probably better balanced) NWN2 style game.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
sportforredneck said:

gallery_zoomer_exc_5.jpg

So that would make three upcoming RPGs that will have a boy and his dog in the game. Fable 2, Fallout 3 and now Dragon Age.

I also live in constant fear that this one might be similiar to NWN2. Especially the dialogues part. :moves camera to NPC, blablabla: :moves back camera to PC, blablabla: :repeat 10 times: Nevertheless that screenshot looks awesome. After seeing the Fallout 3 footage everything looks awesome.

Sovy Kurosei said:
So that would make three upcoming RPGs that will have a boy and his dog in the game. Fable 2, Fallout 3 and now Dragon Age.
I didn't notice the dog. Although maybe it's just a transformation...hopefully it would be a transformation. I can't stand this many fucking dogs.

Suicidal

Arcane
But, but... isometric is outdated! Bioware is just like Blizzard - they don't want to make their games innovative! Why didn't they use 1st person? WHY?

Seriously though, the game may turn out to be quite good. I just hope it doesn't have one of those shitty DRMs.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Rohit_N said:
Volourn said:
NEWSFLASH; DA will be ported sometime next year after its PC release.

Let the PC crybabies continue whining over this!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
It would seem so.

Here's hoping they do what they did with Mass Effect and subcontract out the porting to some 3rd party company, thus letting them focus on making it run as best it can on its native platform.

Korgan

Arbiter
Looks like some classes have mana and others have energy/stamina/some other shit. Not really unexpected.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Saint_Proverbius said:
<u>Origin Stories</u> – Players will select and play a unique prelude that provides the lens through which the player sees the world and how the world sees the player. The player’s choice of Origin will determine who they are and where they begin the adventure, as they play through a customized story opening that profoundly impacts the course of every adventure.

This one's actually pretty cool - though it should be standard for all RPGs. How the hell you can start the game as an orcish paladin if your character was born is a human village? Either prohibit certain races, classes (or combos) or provide suitable opening vignettes and starting locations.

I hope it won't be like in NWN2.

Mareus

Magister
Isometric screenshot does kind of fill me with hope, I just hope it isn't the same isometry I have seen in NWN2.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The combat screenies remind me of Dungeon Siege 2. As does this
Deep Customization – Players will develop their characters and gain powerful special abilities (spells, talents and skills) and discover ever-increasing weapons of destruction.
But it sounds interesting enough.

if i remember right, the MOTB announcement used the word "epic" 5times as much as bioware here
That wouldn't have had anything to do with the epic levels or the epic feats that the game featured?

Castanova

Prophet
Yowch, even IGN thought the DA trailer was cliche:

"It's a bit strange that this look at BioWare's spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, which established so many of the genre's conventions should be so, well , conventional, but we have every hope that the game itself will deliver the goods when we actually get a look at it later this week."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/889/889399p1 ... Sid=889399

Still, these screenshots look promising. Hopefully it's just a case of crappy-ass CGI which I couldn't care less about anyway.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The GUI looks good. The portraits look a bit bulky and retarded though, I'd much prefer the BG style, but that's hardly a big issue.

Good to see that combat won't be in a small 10meter box like in NWN2, ranged characters might make more sense now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom