Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Erzherzog

Magister
Seems like a pretty incliney discussion between a Combatfag and a C&Cfag. There is hope.

MMXI

Arcane
Erzherzog said:
Seems like a pretty incliney discussion between a Combatfag and a C&Cfag. There is hope.
I don't think door locking is much to do with combat. More like avoiding combat actually.

Erzherzog

Magister
MMXI said:
Erzherzog said:
I don't think door locking is much to do with combat. More like avoiding combat actually.

What do you want to call it? Combatresolutionfags? Point is, one of the camps of thought is about having as many options to complete combat situations and something besides stab/spell is a big plus.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Sacculina said:
Good grief. What is this, the 'Cuss Word of the Day' thread? :decline:
Don't be a mentally challenged person.

also was thissockpuppet? you skyway?
kraze said:
Nalano is correct.

When his crappy game is so easy it allows even the most weakest character possible to gun down a room full of enemies why bother with nonlinearity?

Using brains to find a way out of multitude of offered ones to survive against stronger enemies or overwhelming numbers of weaker ones? That's so last millenium.

hoopy

Savant
Insomnia.ac, the terror of the Internet, is no more. It has been redesigned and relaunched as culture.vg, and from now on all new articles are available only to those who pay money. I don't see why anyone would want to, since the quality and quantity of the articles has been declining for a long time now. I suppose the site will just fade into total obscurity now.

Oh well.

MMXI

Arcane
hoopy said:
Insomnia.ac, the terror of the Internet, is no more. It has been redesigned and relaunched as culture.vg, and from now on all new articles are available only to those who pay money. I don't see why anyone would want to, since the quality and quantity of the articles has been declining for a long time now. I suppose the site will just fade into total obscurity now.

Oh well.
Isn't that the "the only cRPG is Deus Ex" website?

Nalano

Novice
Erzherzog said:

Quick question: Can I assume C&Cfag stands for 'Combat & Conversation'?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
MMXI said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1876-Shall-we-talk-about-Skyrim&p=53852&viewfull=1#post53852

Wizardry said:
Sort of. Hunting down the right key for the right door is more adventure gameplay that RPG gameplay, because it's a puzzle the developers have hand-crafted and your character's skills play no part in using a key with a door. The alternative way is to just get developers to plonk down doors into the game world and allow the player themselves to pick them if they are locked, lock them if they are unlocked, bash them down, magically seal them and magically unseal them. That way, instead of a door being used primarily to force the player to go somewhere specific to fetch a key, you get emergent gameplay where the player can use doors to seal enemies in, all depending on the set up of the player's character. For example, a strong and physical character may be able to bash doors down, while a sneaky rogue type may be able to lure enemies into a room, stealth out of it and jam the lock shut. A magic user, on the other hand, may be able to cast magical seals over doors to keep anyone other than fellow mages from opening them.

Nalano said:
In order to weave all that into a narrative that answers the question, "why in the hell should I care about this door that I'd do any of these things," the developers would have to do ten times the writing they currently do.

Writing that, consequently, will never be seen by 90% of the player base.

This will never happen. You'll either have a door with all these options but I don't care, or a door that I care about but is strangely invulnerable to tampering.

Wizardry said:
I can't comprehend this.

Nalano said:
In other words, all those different ways of solving the problem are ultimately superficial because the narrative is linear.

At which point, why bother?

Wizardry said:
Where does this come from? I don't understand your reasoning. Sealing a door to a corridor behind you so that enemies can't surprise you from behind is useful. Locking a bunch of powerful enemies into a room is useful. Bashing down a door to find a treasure room is useful. Picking the lock of the back door to the local weapon store at night to steal weapons is useful.

What does linear narrative have to do with any of this?

Nalano said:
How does making thirty different ways to open or close a door make for better gameplay? Do different things happen if I choose Option A as compared to Option Theta? If so, who designs those things? Or is it all just procedural? And if so, why should I care about a glorified dungeon romp?

Locking a bunch of monsters in a room as compared to killing them is a superficial difference. Setting traps and funneling enemies into them rather than gunning them down outright is a superficial difference. Getting into a room with treasure rather than skipping it is a superficial difference. Hell, you can do most of those things already, even in the most linear of RPGs, and the end result is rather masturbatory.

To make things that actually make a difference in the general scheme of things, you'd have to plot out possible ways for the situation to go and write their results. If you don't, and instead rely upon procedural development - like how Bethesda plans dungeons - then everything becomes samey and equally pointless.

Wizardry said:
My brain just exploded.

:salute:

oh god...IT HURTS!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Erzherzog said:
MMXI said:
Erzherzog said:

What do you want to call it? Combatresolutionfags? Point is, one of the camps of thought is about having as many options to complete combat situations and something besides stab/spell is a big plus.

Combat in RPG's is about C&C, Choices in skill/traits, consequences in opportunities/effectiveness in certain situations.

And Nolana is a guy that has no idea what the purpose of narratives in games(let alone in RPGs) are.

It all boils down to, "yeah, fuck gameplay, i just want a cinematic storyline with multiple dialogue options because it empowers me!"

Rules, variables, parameters and lore exist in a RPG setting because it provides consistent and accecible material to use in quest design, content and encounters, because ultimatly the player decided how he wants to do shit and that means more variety is needed.
Thats the fucking point of an RPG!

Why would you trade all that for some shitty, unflexible, litterature from a fartsniffing writerfag that couldn't make it in the movie industry?

Sacculina

Educated
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/ ... #post54114

Okami said:
Nalano said:
Apparently RPG Codex keeps tabs on their own.
My life's plan is to become the richest person in the world. With that money I'll find out the real life identity and adress of each and every person on rpg codex, go to their homes and punch them in the face.
Power Word RPGCodex
Effect: Instantaneous overwhelming critical butthurt

UserNamer

Cipher
if that faggot comes to my house to punch me in the face he is going to get raped in the ass... he will have to spent the rest of his pretend money in surgeries (to shove his prolapse back into his anus) and psychological therapy

Deleted member 7219

I'll just call the police and hope he enjoys his nice new criminal record.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Why does a mention of the codex always manage to derail topics ? Do people hate this place so much they NEED to post stupid shit like the above rather than ignore it and discuss the actual topic at hand ?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Okami said:
Nalano said:
My life's plan is to become the richest person in the world. With that money I'll find out the real life identity and adress of each and every person on rpg codex, go to their homes and punch them in the face.

Flankhurt detected. :smug:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Why are some of you even taking RPS faggotry seriously? That's almost sadder than them.

Anyway, /r/ing disgusting internet shit, not only to stop RPS fags from getting the wrong impressions about this but also because I need to purge my mind

The Wizard

Educated
Gragt said:
Okami said:
Nalano said:
My life's plan is to become the richest person in the world by sucking lots of dick. With that money I'll find out the real life identity and adress of each and every person on rpg codex, go to their homes and suck them off.

jawhurt detected. :smug:
what do you mean? sounds good to me.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The Wizard said:
Gragt said:
Okami said:
Nalano said:
My life's plan is to become the richest person in the world by sucking lots of dick. With that money I'll find out the real life identity and adress of each and every person on rpg codex, go to their homes and suck them off.

jawhurt detected. :smug:

:thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
The Wizard said:
Gragt said:
Okami said:
Nalano said:
My life's plan is to learn to use google and spyware. With that knowledge I'll find out the real life identity and adress of each and every person on rpg codex, go to their homes and stand in front of their closed doors, not knowing what to do. If by chance one opens his door to my whining I'll piss my pants like the 6 year old I mentally am.

egohurt detected. :smug:
Dunno, sounds quite sad and pathetic to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom