Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Jesus Christ!

We need to help OUT our fellow MISSIONARY in DISTRESS!

Unwashed HEATHENS!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Takes 4 hours to finish a Sonic game and says it's too short

then comes this other one:

Moran said:
sadly, in modern gaming 4-6 hours is becoming a fairly average completion time.

qsqsjp.jpg

By the way, did anyone play it? Is it good? From the videos it looks a bit retarded with all the zooming in here and there, and modern sonic with his green eyes and bullshit moves...and fucking skateboards FFS FORGET I ASKED

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Excidium said:
Takes 4 hours to finish a Sonic game and says it's too short

then comes this other one:

Moran said:
sadly, in modern gaming 4-6 hours is becoming a fairly average completion time.

Heh, I completed the two Medal of Honour - Allied Assualt expansions in one day each. And I'm not exactly the kind of player who rushes though games.
In comparison I once used 2-3 months on one large and especially detailed Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic user made map.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Since I'm sick of furries, queers and psychos I thought I'd post a mundane modder with an ego that needs a zip code:
http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,2492.0.html
That's his most modest post, gets better later on.

tl;dr: He tells the modders that their equipment balancing is shit (which is more or less right, but can be expressed far more tactfully). He then graciously offers/demands to overhaul everything while making claims and comparisons that go beyond hyperbole right into the ridiculous (eg: Sticks doing more dmg than swords. It's true for certain swords and armor-ranges because bashing takes armor far less into account than cutting dmg. Because of this he wants to overhaul everything instead slightly reducing the dmg of blunt weapons and perhaps tweaking bashing/cutting interaction with armor a bit.)
His proposed changes are more realistical (at least in his mind) but would change the gameplay significantly. So that's not everybodies piece of cake but whenever somebody offers criticism he just gets more and more arrogant. When the modders then mention that they'll make his changes an optional sub-mod like in the past he goes all sulky. Reminded me a lot of Prosper...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Not sure if old but here anyways:

http://kotaku.com/5842770/how-did-sony- ... of-service

Sony's new PS3 terms of service are designed to stop the company being hit with class-action suits, and having to front juries, which care about little things like the right of the consumer over the operations of multi-billion dollar corporations.

So how did the company get away with legally including a "don't sue us" clause?

CNN reports it's all because the US Supreme Court ruled in April that AT&T was allowed to include a similar clause in its contracts, only this time that between employee and employer, not customer and provider as is the case with the PS3.

"The Supreme Court recently ruled in the AT&T case that language like this is enforceable," a Sony spokesperson told CNN. "The updated language in the TOS is designed to benefit both the consumer and the company by ensuring that there is adequate time and procedures to resolve disputes."

Flatlander

Liturgist
At least RPS is pretty :obviously: with their error pages
5pfse.png

>i
You are carrying:
a strange love of jetpacks
an opinion on just about everything

>examine opinion
You're not really sure where you got this from, but gosh darn if it isn't usable in plenty of places.

MMXI

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/ ... #post53852

Wizardry said:
Sort of. Hunting down the right key for the right door is more adventure gameplay that RPG gameplay, because it's a puzzle the developers have hand-crafted and your character's skills play no part in using a key with a door. The alternative way is to just get developers to plonk down doors into the game world and allow the player themselves to pick them if they are locked, lock them if they are unlocked, bash them down, magically seal them and magically unseal them. That way, instead of a door being used primarily to force the player to go somewhere specific to fetch a key, you get emergent gameplay where the player can use doors to seal enemies in, all depending on the set up of the player's character. For example, a strong and physical character may be able to bash doors down, while a sneaky rogue type may be able to lure enemies into a room, stealth out of it and jam the lock shut. A magic user, on the other hand, may be able to cast magical seals over doors to keep anyone other than fellow mages from opening them.

Nalano said:
In order to weave all that into a narrative that answers the question, "why in the hell should I care about this door that I'd do any of these things," the developers would have to do ten times the writing they currently do.

Writing that, consequently, will never be seen by 90% of the player base.

This will never happen. You'll either have a door with all these options but I don't care, or a door that I care about but is strangely invulnerable to tampering.

Wizardry said:
I can't comprehend this.

Nalano said:
In other words, all those different ways of solving the problem are ultimately superficial because the narrative is linear.

At which point, why bother?

Wizardry said:
Where does this come from? I don't understand your reasoning. Sealing a door to a corridor behind you so that enemies can't surprise you from behind is useful. Locking a bunch of powerful enemies into a room is useful. Bashing down a door to find a treasure room is useful. Picking the lock of the back door to the local weapon store at night to steal weapons is useful.

What does linear narrative have to do with any of this?

Nalano said:
How does making thirty different ways to open or close a door make for better gameplay? Do different things happen if I choose Option A as compared to Option Theta? If so, who designs those things? Or is it all just procedural? And if so, why should I care about a glorified dungeon romp?

Locking a bunch of monsters in a room as compared to killing them is a superficial difference. Setting traps and funneling enemies into them rather than gunning them down outright is a superficial difference. Getting into a room with treasure rather than skipping it is a superficial difference. Hell, you can do most of those things already, even in the most linear of RPGs, and the end result is rather masturbatory.

To make things that actually make a difference in the general scheme of things, you'd have to plot out possible ways for the situation to go and write their results. If you don't, and instead rely upon procedural development - like how Bethesda plans dungeons - then everything becomes samey and equally pointless.

Wizardry said:
My brain just exploded.

:salute:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
MMXI said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1876-Shall-we-talk-about-Skyrim&p=53852&viewfull=1#post53852

Wizardry said:
Sort of. Hunting down the right key for the right door is more adventure gameplay that RPG gameplay, because it's a puzzle the developers have hand-crafted and your character's skills play no part in using a key with a door. The alternative way is to just get developers to plonk down doors into the game world and allow the player themselves to pick them if they are locked, lock them if they are unlocked, bash them down, magically seal them and magically unseal them. That way, instead of a door being used primarily to force the player to go somewhere specific to fetch a key, you get emergent gameplay where the player can use doors to seal enemies in, all depending on the set up of the player's character. For example, a strong and physical character may be able to bash doors down, while a sneaky rogue type may be able to lure enemies into a room, stealth out of it and jam the lock shut. A magic user, on the other hand, may be able to cast magical seals over doors to keep anyone other than fellow mages from opening them.

Nalano said:
In order to weave all that into a narrative that answers the question, "why in the hell should I care about this door that I'd do any of these things," the developers would have to do ten times the writing they currently do.

Writing that, consequently, will never be seen by 90% of the player base.

This will never happen. You'll either have a door with all these options but I don't care, or a door that I care about but is strangely invulnerable to tampering.

Wizardry said:
I can't comprehend this.

Nalano said:
In other words, all those different ways of solving the problem are ultimately superficial because the narrative is linear.

At which point, why bother?

Wizardry said:
Where does this come from? I don't understand your reasoning. Sealing a door to a corridor behind you so that enemies can't surprise you from behind is useful. Locking a bunch of powerful enemies into a room is useful. Bashing down a door to find a treasure room is useful. Picking the lock of the back door to the local weapon store at night to steal weapons is useful.

What does linear narrative have to do with any of this?

Nalano said:
How does making thirty different ways to open or close a door make for better gameplay? Do different things happen if I choose Option A as compared to Option Theta? If so, who designs those things? Or is it all just procedural? And if so, why should I care about a glorified dungeon romp?

Locking a bunch of monsters in a room as compared to killing them is a superficial difference. Setting traps and funneling enemies into them rather than gunning them down outright is a superficial difference. Getting into a room with treasure rather than skipping it is a superficial difference. Hell, you can do most of those things already, even in the most linear of RPGs, and the end result is rather masturbatory.

To make things that actually make a difference in the general scheme of things, you'd have to plot out possible ways for the situation to go and write their results. If you don't, and instead rely upon procedural development - like how Bethesda plans dungeons - then everything becomes samey and equally pointless.

Wizardry said:
My brain just exploded.

:salute:

My brian exploded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom