Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information You Will Believe a Golden Baby Can Fly: Grimoire on Indiegogo

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Make the indiegogo page :roll:.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will be donating $25 for this around Christmas time as a present to myself, as that would be around the price for the game when it comes out anyway. I can wait until May to enjoy it. On the other hand, I would donate more if I felt that my money was going into specific improvements and for a cool map, but I don't know how dependable is the Cleve.

That video was quite amazing. The best thing I've watched in weeks. :obviously:

If this game is as good as Cleve's pitches it to be, it will be truly epic.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I want my very own tomb in Grimoire, but I'm undecided as to whether I want the item in the tomb or secretively placed behind a secret wall somewhere secret.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want my very own tomb in Grimoire, but I'm undecided as to whether I want the item in the tomb or secretively placed behind a secret wall somewhere secret.
Ask him to make the item work as a key to your tomb, name the tomb something insanely promising, like "Grave of the Treasure-Hoarder", and hide the key in a VERY hard place to reach... presto, your tomb will be the most asked thing about in gamefaqs. :cool:

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe you could put the item inside the turtle so that you have the moral decision if you want to ride the turtle or get your item and if you kill it the flying baby sees you and you have to chase it down before it tells someone.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Ask him to make the item work as a key to your tomb, name the tomb something insanely promising, like "Grave of the Treasure-Hoarder", and hide the key in a VERY hard place to reach... presto, your tomb will be the most asked thing about in gamefaqs. :cool:

Or maybe I could turn the key name into a euphemism for a big, sweaty cock and name my tomb something along the lines of an anagram of swollen, warty asshole. Like "The Key named 'Wet Bone' opens the tomb of a 'Lawless Stoney Whorl'." Finally, a real chance to fill games with hidden smut. :kwanzania:

mondblut

Arcane
Grimoire, OTOH, *is* a genre classic easily on par with Wizardry 6. I dunno about today, but 15 years ago it would go right there to the blobber hall of fame.

Have you played it?

I've participated in all rounds of betatesting, including 2005. That's how I found the Codex in the first place, during the codexian raid and the Rex debacle.

But even the DOS beta floating around is enough to leave an impression of a game that is right there with Bradley's Wizardries or World of Xeen. It's not like we're talking of a cat in the bag, everything is in the open.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Maybe you could put the item inside the turtle so that you have the moral decision if you want to ride the turtle or get your item and if you kill it the flying baby sees you and you have to chase it down before it tells someone.

Maybe the turtle could be the item, just set it down like a raft and take your new friend on countless adventures.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I was looking for that picture of Cleve to compare to the other neanderthals. I think I found it:

mama-june-600.jpg

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
In Grimoire, you don't need microphones.

In this world, you need a good one when you're asking for 250 grand.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jay went with a bad price point and wasn't able to get the Holy Grail of Steam approval.

Him and the KoTC guy. Charles at least is more realistic and seriously contemplates peddling his wares at a lower price point eventually. On the one hand I understand their incredulity as people who whine that 20-30 dorras is too much happily pledge hundreds on KS. On the other hand there is still this feeling that one man(or couple man) indies that release earnest yet obviously low budget games deserve less for their efforts because the games themselves look archaic and clunky. The release of Grimrock won't help as it looks AAA yet is sold for half or less than those titles so really $10-15 is the limit currently at which people will most likely buy an indie RPG. Most will look to Steam and Indie bundle sales though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They are free to complelty ignore basic marketing concepts, such as decreasing prices over time to extend sales, reach & shelf life, but doing so and then whinning on the internet on how they don't get money is retarded... Then they go on and rant about how indie/small studios suffer with a community that prefers to give money at other games, when it's really just their refusal to swallow their pride play by the market rules...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What exactly is the story with Frayed Knights?

They covered it above. Obviously he had no control over whether or not he got Steam approval but he set the price of Frayed Knights around $25-$30ish (might have dropped to $22ish during a sale on his website). $15ish is pretty much the ceiling for a lot of indie stuff today, especially things as niche as RPG/blobbers. When you buck the pricing trends you're probably only hurting yourself. Just look at how much Vogel's sales jumped when he got over this anti-Steam fetish and complaining about how they 'devalue' games. He sold must of his stuff for like $10-$15 (and even cheaper on sales) and proceeded to rake in the cash.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's a shame this discussion is happening in a thread of no relevance. Otherwise I'd contribute more.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a shame this discussion is happening in a thread of no relevance. Otherwise I'd contribute more.
You could move us to a new thread. ;)

But there's not much to say, really... the KoTC guy is still selling his game for 15 euros, even 3 years after release, and was pretty vocal about not decreasing prices and how he didn't even want to try Steam Greenlight... a shame really, to think that the guys making Breath of Death and Cthulhu saves the World are making shitloads more money than KotC just by having a business vision... it's due stuff like this that publishers came to be.

Phelot

Arcane
Frayed Knights just wasn't all that interesting with its cartoony style and that webcomic humor. So sorry to say it's true. And yes, believe it or not, graphics and style count otherwise if all I wanted was stats, I'd play an MLB or NFL game.

But I actually like Jay and I think he is incredibly talented. Sometimes you don't always like what a talented person makes so no offense is intended. I feel the same way about Dead State. It just doesn't interest me.

But I think that KS is the future for these indie devs. The mentality is that if it is already released, the price will go down, so everybody waits. Not so with KS. You either support it or you risk it dying AND you also don't get potentially cool stuff like ingame NPCs named after you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I do not have Mod powers here. Otherwise I would. I think this is a very valid discussion, unfortunately it is buried in Cleves thread.

almondblight

Arcane
They are free to complelty ignore basic marketing concepts, such as decreasing prices over time to extend sales, reach & shelf life, but doing so and then whinning on the internet on how they don't get money is retarded... Then they go on and rant about how indie/small studios suffer with a community that prefers to give money at other games, when it's really just their refusal to swallow their pride play by the market rules...

Well, making a solid game doesn't mean that people know anything about marketing or economics. Hell, that in theory is the purpose for publishers - the people to handle the business end of things, and cough up the cash. And I think price point is only half of the story. Failure to market a game correctly probably leads to at least as many lost sales. I've seen a number of Indie devs that assume the masses will come to them, and then throw their hands up when no one pays attention, saying that people are too dumbed down for XYZ. Then a few years later a thread about such a game will pop up, and people will say, "hey, great game! Why have I never heard of this?"

Wolfire still has a high price for the Overgrowth alpha, but they seem to have a good idea how the market works, and probably have made a ton off of the Humble Bundles alone.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think Cleve sounds like Plinket of Red Letter Media. He also seems as mentally stable as Plinket. Maybe if I donate enough for his game, Cleve will also throw in a box of pizza rolls. That would be considerate.

Cynic

Arcane
Cleve is fucking nuts. He belongs here, forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom