Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information You Will Believe a Golden Baby Can Fly: Grimoire on Indiegogo

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Like 1 or 2 dungeons with limited character options. That shouldn't be so bad. Give people a taste and hopefully get the pledges going.

Of course, time spent preparing this limited version as a secondary build is also time away from completing the game in May 2013.

I see more likely that certain individuals like Codexians of Great Justice will be given an advance copy to review.
I think is better to just put an old beta build to download and make a disclaimer warning for spoilers. You must crush the naysayers Cleve.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally I think a demo of the latest build would be much better than just uploading the old build.

A (p)review copy for the Codex wouldn't hurt either.

Dorateen

Arcane
I thought KotC was worth the asking price, as were the other indie titles I've purchased. The demographic these games are targeting should be working adults anyway.

That's the business/marketing problem with these indie developers. Not enough dwarves in the world.

Harumph!
It's not really about what you deem its worth to be, but how low the threshold to buy the game is for someone who just stumbles upon it.

True, it's not about what I deem it to be worth, but more about what price the author believes justifies his work and covers his expenses. I get that it is entirely sensible to lower the price, and make an attempt to increase sales to new players only now finding out about it. But I have a difficult time telling the creator of the game what he should set the price at. Let the market decide. And if people are no longer purchasing the game at the original asking price, perhaps he has saturated the market of hardcore players. But there is nothing to say he will gain all that much if he lowers the price to entice a more casual gamer. He might be better off making the sequel, putting it out at a price he is comfortable with, and knowing there are fans who will pay that much for it.

The same goes for Grimoire. I cannot dictate what the final selling price should be. This is such a niche product, and immensely more valuable to the hardcore audience compared to what is available right now. Even if Grimoire is offered at a cheap price to attract other players down the road, there is no promise these people would even be interested.

I hope Cleve makes as much money as he can, as well as Charles and the people behind Chaos Chronicles. What they are doing is noble, and they should be rewarded justly.

I say, pay the man the amount he deserves!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
/\
|
This.

Remember, it will never be a mass appeal product. It will always appeal to elite sophisticated monacle type snobs like those who frequent a certain forum I know. There is no point in trying to price it down and tap dance nervously and claim it is a game for everyman. It is like going on the VIEW and trying to convince the girls there they will enjoy playing Grimoire. That will never happen. It is a game for the rare and distinguished society of extraordinary gentlemen adventurers. Best to keep it priced at what it is worth, not what would be unlikely to sell more copies anyway.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I don't know if I could handle 600 hours, but I can't miss out on being a part of history. It obviously has more than it's share of little touches that are sorely lacking in most everything else...

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Thank You For Your Support!

Oct 20
Posted by grimdarkly
Firstly, I’d like to thank the people who have supported Grimoire, either through the Indiegogo Campaign, through encouragement, or both. Some of the big thanks go to: Mother Russia, I_am_Ian, Mastermind, Phelot, thesoup, Derper, cboyardee, Marquis de Retardot, Dashi DMV, DarKPenguiN, whoever made the Terry Crews gif. on this page http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...by-can-fly-grimoire-on-indiegogo.76939/page-2 and anyone else I missed!
Give yourselves a pat on the back!

Neanderthal hugs

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Oct 20
Posted by grimdarkly
Firstly, I’d like to thank the people who have supported Grimoire, either through the Indiegogo Campaign, through encouragement, or both. Some of the big thanks go to: Mother Russia, I_am_Ian, Mastermind, Phelot, thesoup, Derper, cboyardee, Marquis de Retardot, Dashi DMV, DarKPenguiN, whoever made the Terry Crews gif. on this page http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...by-can-fly-grimoire-on-indiegogo.76939/page-2 and anyone else I missed!

Neanderthal hugs

Initial reaction is ban them all. But, after some homo sapiens thought, I've realized that there are lulz to be had.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
The previous one on how he killed off a competitor was disturbing. Gonne be watching my back :D

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Cleve, I don't understand why you don't just re-release the old beta build (at a minimum) to encourage all your newfound fans and give them something tangible to mess with; I don't think anyone's going to try to play through an ancient beta version of the game and hold any quirks/bugs/incompleteness/changes against you. I'm not really into the whole kickstarter thing going on nowadays, but if I were, having the beta to play around with would almost instantly elevate your game out of the "I wonder if these people are just bullshitting me" realm that most of these other projects inhabit.

Since there seems to be hordes of people wanting to believe, and I have nothing better to do with a Shabbat morning, I decided to finally fire up the beta I procured years ago (either from right here on the Codex, or on #fallout - can't remember, but there have to be quite a few Codexers that already have it) and expose myself to the gibbering Lovecraftian insanity of a Neanderthal mind in an advanced state of collapse. As hinted at by Cleve recently, the product was surprising Disney-esque.

I didn't play through too much because I'm swamped with school work and I hate fucking around with DosBox, Fraps, and all the other attendant bullshit associated with bringing this post to you, but I did get some captures documenting a conversation with a fairy, and a video of some combat in action. I realize Cleve has already posted much more from recent builds, but the point is there's a functioning product that was out back in whenever the fuck this beta was distributed, and could be in the hands of some of people actually backing the project instead of my own, casually-interested and not-likely-to-preorder grasp.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-08-23-71.jpg

DOSBox2012-10-2008-10-23-19.jpg

Character generation doesn't seem to be included in this build; if you click on "Story" it gives you a description of the basic background of the world. Clicking on quick starts the game, with a pre-generated party.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-12-37-06.jpg

GAH, FURRIES, FUCKING FURRIES EVERYWHERE. After futilely attempted to purge the party of degenerate yiffing scum, I resign myself to exploring with my posse of carnival freaks.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-14-35-35.jpg

After wandering around through the woods for a bit, I'm suddenly accosted by a small, scantily clad fae figure. Sensing the opportunity for tasteful rape, Ali Baba readies his throwing knives.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-14-53-56.jpg

Hmm, guess I didn't catch all of the text, but it turned out that the fairy wasn't hostile, but was instead merely some kind of tout, who informed me of a magic shop in the vicinity and said something about a discount if I mentioned she sent me. Interestingly, as part of the dialogue options you can type in your own text and ask questions, similar to the old MUD-style games (which I used to love, though the syntax problems usually makes using these systems a bitch in games that aren't purely text-based).

DOSBox2012-10-2008-15-39-45.jpg

Ali Baba looks knowingly over at his one-eyed monster, Rasputin, and decides to start with a little bit of small talk to lower "Little Rosy's" defenses.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-15-43-25.jpg

Hmm... is she being a cold bitch, or coming on to us? Is she being intentionally ambiguous? Time-tested Codex dating advice tells us there's only one way to find out for sure:

DOSBox2012-10-2008-16-45-54.jpg

Let's lay it on the line, sister.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-16-50-19.jpg

Interestingly, she seems to respond more to this line of questioning than my query about the shop she was promoting; it would seem that my instincts about Rosy were right. Unfortunately for Ali Baba and Rasputin, however, the little bitch is playing hard to get and if we want to access her "hidden treasure" we're going to have to demonstrate "wit, courage, patience, and tenacity" - god dammit, this is sounds like real life, not a fantasy game. Fuck it, let's get outta here and see if we can't find something to kill.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-17-12-72.jpg

Rosy leaves, and I try to consult the map to figure out where the fuck we are. I'm not used to this rotate-and-move system, and I'm having a hard time keeping my bearing in this enchanted forest.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-17-33-51.jpg

Local map... not incredibly helpful, and I still can't keep my shit straight. In desperation, I turn to the world map and hope for some Bethesda-style teleportation magic.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-17-40-38.jpg

Shit, no dice; guess I'm on my own.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-17-57-72.jpg

Aha! Finally, a ladder leading down into the murky bowels of the earth.

DOSBox2012-10-2008-18-02-90.jpg

The dank depths of the underworld are calling - will we find break-dancing liches, or have they not been implemented yet?

DOSBox2012-10-2008-18-20-56.jpg

... necrophilia? Suddenly, Ali Baba and Rasputin's hopes are reborn and semi-engorged.

At this point I tried to switch over to capturing some video, since I was looting a crypt, drinking from a fountain, accessing the inventory, fighting, etc. but fucked if I know how to get Fraps to take more than 30 seconds at a time, and I don't have all day. A couple of the better fights didn't get recorded, but eventually I set the random monster frequency to really high and was able to capture a fight. I had killed a bunch of worms and squirrels in the dungeon, gone back to the surface, wandered around some more, then fell through a hole back into the dungeon and had my party decimated by falling damage, only to get assaulted by packs of rabid squirrels.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geAXNcJWmFU&feature=youtu.be[/url]
I don't know if the party members were dead, or what, but when I tried to rest I got assaulted by yet more squirrels and decided to call it a day.

To be honest, I never played this style of game when I was a kid, so I have no clue how Grimoire might eventually compare to classics of the genre. Still, it seems to be playable even its beta state from ages ago, and given that there is some quasi-serious interest from the community in funding/pre-ordering it and seeing it completed, it makes sense to me to release the beta, at a minimum, to the faithful. Finally, as one bunker builder to another, best of luck Cleve.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Somebody could do a let's play of that beta, with 120 days to go there's plenty of time to have a look at it.

And that fairy actually understood my question "Where is Crowl?", and gave me specific directions to reach it. Brought a smile to my face.

wormix

Augur
You can create your own characters by clicking library (Character Library), and choose your own party this way.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have the beta and am running on Vista. Do I use Dosbox to fire this thing up or what?

Also, a Let's Play requires saving images to websites. Any websites out there that will allow you to store massive amounts of pics for free?

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron

Oct 20
Posted by grimdarkly

Neanderthal hugs

One day last month I asked you to finish your game so I could play, Cleve, and you are doing it!

So thank YOU, Mr. Blakemore.

Dorateen

Arcane
In some of the gameplay videos, the party includes a white moustache fellow named Balor. Anyone know what race he is?

I saw a separate youtube video that displayed the character creation screen. Looks like two interesting race possibilities are something like Durendil and Barrower. Obviously, I'm trying to find what would be most representative of a dwarf, so I can reassemble our Wizardry party.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
One of my fav parts was "This time we're serious!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom