Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst Character Creation

Zomg

Arbiter
Most systems where you have to roll your stats suck. No one does it anymore, and that's one bit of modernization that I don't mind. The point of rolled stats is to have a Gygax or Roguelike kind of game where individual characters are disposable and there's a lot of interest in learning to exploit different kinds of randomly permuted abilities. But, in most save/load RPGs or more persistent tabletop games PCs are much less disposable and character creation is more about the player authoring a character rather than pulling a game piece out of a bag, and design efforts have been taken to make different types more-or-less balanced. The randomization of stats or hit points throws that out the window for no reason.

Edit - On the other hand, it does mean you don't get the dump stat phenomenon.

Andhaira

Arcane
Arcanum had a good char gen system but too few cp's to spread around. Stats and abilities were terribly unbalanced too.

Might and magic games also had sucky char gen; simple and stupid. The Xeen games for instance, gave you stupid skills which you could buy in the gameworld anyway and which made hardly any difference. (though cartography was sweet)

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
reddeathvn2.jpg

Starwars

Arcane
I actually didn't dislike the game that much, but the Jade Empire character creation was rather lame and boring.

Andhaira

Arcane
You probably used the pregenz. lol i bet you played a chick lol

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Of course I did. If I'm going to stare at a digital ass that long it might as well be a female digital ass.

Also: lesbians.

Andhaira

Arcane
'k 'k 'k no need to get antsy. *calms Locue down*

Have you tried mass effect?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Back on topic, PS:T's character creation/development was pretty shitty. Only 3 classes, and Fighter, Mage, and Thief at that. Actually, anything not related to the dialogue or story in PS:T is mediocre or bad. (combat, inventory, journals, choices and consequences, engine)

FAKE EDIT: The art design is incredible though, so I take back that last statement.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Andhaira said:
'k 'k 'k no need to get antsy. *calms Locue down*

Have you tried mass effect?
I'LL GET ANTSY ALL I WANT, ANDHAIRA!!

Seriously though, yes, I have played Mass Effect and I must say that I found it enjoyable. There was surprisingly little collargrabbing however! After all the Codex hyping I was very annoyed to experience such small extremities. Still, it was alright. A little bit too much cinematic-y and epic for my tastes but what the hell. Also, I greatly approve of Biowares lesbian policy. That's one thing Bioware learned from Jade Empire: any game they make immediately gets at least 200 percent better with lesbians and 300 percent better with space lesbians.

The character creation was kinda "meh" though, but I liked that Bioware took Oblivions face generator and made it impossible to create faces that wasn't too ugly. I made, no joke, some kind of butch looking lady that looked like the warden in one of those lesbian prison movies from the 70's.

God I love that word!

What? 70's?

No, lesbians! Lesbians! Feel that word vvvvv-vibrating on the tip of your tongue! Elle-lele-ssssbians!!

I want a lesbian. :(

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:
The Xeen games for instance, gave you stupid skills which you could buy in the gameworld anyway and which made hardly any difference. (though cartography was sweet)

Think again. Try wandering around without pathfinder and mountaineer, hah.

...back on topic, the best character generators are those with a little "modify" button =) Nothing beats trashing the balance with all 18s.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You have only 3 stats that dont affect anything and weapon styles."

You don't need to flat out lie.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Vol. he said it back in 2007. There's no need to fight a ghoul.

Andhaira

Arcane
mondblut said:
Andhaira said:
The Xeen games for instance, gave you stupid skills which you could buy in the gameworld anyway and which made hardly any difference. (though cartography was sweet)

Think again. Try wandering around without pathfinder and mountaineer, hah.

You can purchase pathfinder for 100 gold (or was it 400?) from a ranger in the first town that you start in in clouds of xeen! Makes having a ranger irrelevant. (you do save n dough, but 400 ismere pittance pretty soon)

Vollyz become an undead slayer!

mondblut

Arcane
Andhaira said:
You can purchase pathfinder for 100 gold (or was it 400?) from a ranger in the first town that you start in in clouds of xeen!

It was 1000, I am pretty certain, and you need 2 characters to have it.

Anyway, startup skills are just tiny bonuses in M&M, the mechanics never were about them. Except thievery skill, of course.

Makes having a ranger irrelevant. (you do save n dough, but 400 ismere pittance pretty soon)

A ranger is relevant as an all-around hybrid character with mediocre fighting capabilities and limited access to both cleric and mage spells, not as "pathfinder" at startup (you'd need two anyway). Not like that makes him any useful, but that's not because his skill is worthless - he is just worthless per se.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes , thats what I meant. The crusader skill is also pretty pathtic, (since, like swimming all pc's need it to access certain area's).

Seriously the best party is 2 knights, 2 sorcerors, 1 ninja 1 paladin OR cleric.

Mayday

Augur
Andhaira said:
Yes , thats what I meant. The crusader skill is also pretty pathtic, (since, like swimming all pc's need it to access certain area's).

Unless you have a paladin.

DemonKing

Arcane
I hate any system that requires me to hit reroll a 100 times before I finally get high enough score to ensure I have an 18 in my prime requisite + 18 Dex, 16 Con (18 if a fighter type) and a reasonable strength to ensure I'm not getting overencumbered all the time...

I liked the old Gold Box games where you could enter stats manually in order to "recreate your old table top characters"...no fluffing around, straight 18s all over from the beginning. :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom