Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Women of Bioware rejoice!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Clockwork Knight said:
Drakron said:
well because its HOMAGE and we cannot have things like "logic" and "cleaver thinking" ruining that.

I like how "cleaver thinking" (cutting content) makes more sense in this context than "clever thinking"
Cleaver girl is more awesome.
11.jpg

Fighting between girl and a boy on roof of a school soaked in gasoline when police is watching from the ground too afraid to enter.

Would Rockstar be able to create something awesome like this?

MetalCraze

Arcane
With a 3rd person POV?

Does the 3rd person POV makes the player blind or something?

I suppose if you were dump in, say Xangai and you were told to find Mr. Chang you would be able to zoom in on him without the anything.
No I would start looking for him by human means.

I am NOT familiar with every single inch of the 32.7 sq miles of my home town, you ARE suggesting the player MUST be familiar with the geography of a 8 square miles town to the point he can pinpoint the location of ANY NPC that populates the city.

What do 32.7 square miles have to do with the red blob following a dude 40m in front of you?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Drakron said:
PlayStation generation means GTA III and forth.

And as RC controls were annoying I had not that much issues with then, however in GTA:SA they expected you to play Dance Dance Revolution and this is were I draw the line.

No minigame should be mandatory, F:NV have gambling minigames were stats even have a effect on the games but at no point you are required to "win" at then, GTA forces that into the player and also you only have to do then ONCE, never again so there is a dissonance as even if you HAVE to win at least once you only have to do then once ... no point to them as story missions.
You mean, the player have to win a mission in order to complete a game? Good grief!
Also as you are aware, GTA starts with locked areas ... in SA you cannot go to Las Venturas at the start, heck you cannot even leave Los Santos and in order to open up the first area you have to beat several minigames, on the top of my head the referenced DDR (and its car version) and a race.
As a matter of fact you can go to Las Venturas and complete all side missions there. The mere fact that you are given four star wanted level, it just means more fun. You know, if you complete all the side missions before undertaking the storyline you'll get 13.37% of completion of the game. I wonder why it is that...
"Fun" is a relative concept, when I just HAVE to so something I am clearly unable to then its "fun" or is it frustrating ... I dont play racing games because I am not good at then, I understand WHY with the driving mechanics GTA have racing but there are limits and they certainly passed those with that bullshit cross country race with a fixed car mission.
See, if you dislike the game, just stop playing it. Instead you cry out in outrage, demanding that game should be dumbed down, to make it easy enough for you. You know what? Pepole like you are the problem of today's game market. If you can just push a button called "win the game - awesome ending", would that make you happy?

.Sigurd

Educated
Drakron said:
"Fun" is a relative concept, when I just HAVE to so something I am clearly unable to then its "fun" or is it frustrating ... I dont play racing games because I am not good at then, I understand WHY with the driving mechanics GTA have racing but there are limits and they certainly passed those with that bullshit cross country race with a fixed car mission.
"Help! I don't want to drive a car in a game about stealing cars!"
"I don't want stats in a RPG! I hope that they cut it off for the next sequel."
"Why I need to control various characters at the same time in a RTS game!? Make it more simplier!"
"I demand that I don't have to aim in my FPS! Put aim-assist next time!"

Drakron

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
You mean, the player have to win a mission in order to complete a game? Good grief!

When a mission requires the player to jump to a completely different playskill is not fair, its as if you are playing a flight sim and suddenly the game makes you play a simon-says to land the plane.

Also what is the point? You have to race ONCE and never again you are required to do so and that is not the worst offender, those are those missions when you have to re-adapt to difference mechanics and that is never called up again.

As a matter of fact you can go to Las Venturas and complete all side missions there. The mere fact that you are given four star wanted level, it just means more fun. You know, if you complete all the side missions before undertaking the storyline you'll get 13.37% of completion of the game. I wonder why it is that...

No, its not ... a automatic 4 star wanted level is not "more fun", the game clearly DOES NOT WANT YOU TO GO THERE as its been somewhat standard in GTA games, I used to run the blockade in the bridges in GTA IV but eventually the "messing around" is over.

See, if you dislike the game, just stop playing it. Instead you cry out in outrage, demanding that game should be dumbed down, to make it easy enough for you. You know what? Pepole like you are the problem of today's game market. If you can just push a button called "win the game - awesome ending", would that make you happy?

I almost completed GTA IV, I failed in the last mission since for the love of God I *cannot* mash that B button to get in the choppa ... one sequence at the very last mission that I honestly do not recall the game ever ask me to do before it and I simply cannot do it.

Another example, Lost Odyssey ... its a jRPG that at the end of disk 3 (I think its disk 3) you get in a sub and now you have to press the sequence of buttons shown on screen to escape (yep, a QTE) amd also I cannot do it, I am stuck at that point.

Now am I asking for the game to be "dumbed down"? after all according to you those hacking and pick-locking minigames that are all too common in RPGs are in fact a *incline* and people that are complaining about those are asking then to be "dumbed down".

YOU are the problem with the current market, its not the "button of awesome" that is a issue (that just makes it a easy game) but muddling gameplay skills to the point every game will end up being roughly the same.

I am a purist, I like the CORE gameplay to remain the same, NOT it asking me to play bullshit minigames like Alpha Protocol hacking minigame that requires me to have a completly different skillset and do something I do not enjoy.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Drakron said:
Also what is the point? You have to race ONCE and never again you are required to do so and that is not the worst offender, those are those missions when you have to re-adapt to difference mechanics and that is never called up again.
I beg your pardon? You never again drive a car in GTA:SA? Just during one, single mission? I bet you are one of these fellows that have been bitching about a car race in tha Mafia game. Oh no, I have to lern how to drive in-game car while playng a game where 80% on the gameplay consists of driving a car. The horror. A unfair horror, to the boot.
Were you also buthurt about flight school in san andreas?

No, its not ... a automatic 4 star wanted level is not "more fun", the game clearly DOES NOT WANT YOU TO GO THERE as its been somewhat standard in GTA games, I used to run the blockade in the bridges in GTA IV but eventually the "messing around" is over.
I am yet to play GTA IV, I have gathered that it has been dumbed down beyond any measure. So I cannot tell why "messing around" is eventually over there.
However, it is viable tactic in San Andreas. If game would not want you go to the restricted territory, it would not let you start any side mission there.

I almost completed GTA IV, I failed in the last mission since for the love of God I *cannot* mash that B button to get in the choppa ... one sequence at the very last mission that I honestly do not recall the game ever ask me to do before it and I simply cannot do it.

Another example, Lost Odyssey ... its a jRPG that at the end of disk 3 (I think its disk 3) you get in a sub and now you have to press the sequence of buttons shown on screen to escape (yep, a QTE) amd also I cannot do it, I am stuck at that point.

Now am I asking for the game to be "dumbed down"? after all according to you those hacking and pick-locking minigames that are all too common in RPGs are in fact a *incline* and people that are complaining about those are asking then to be "dumbed down".

YOU are the problem with the current market, its not the "button of awesome" that is a issue (that just makes it a easy game) but muddling gameplay skills to the point every game will end up being roughly the same.

I am a purist, I like the CORE gameplay to remain the same, NOT it asking me to play bullshit minigames like Alpha Protocol hacking minigame that requires me to have a completly different skillset and do something I do not enjoy.
Core gameplay of GTA games consist of kiling set amount of NPCs in some short period of time, or picking up bunch of checkpoints while driving horribly unresponsive car minigames/mini missions. Whatever sily storyline they slap on it, it is only a pretext leading you from one crazy stunt to another. Skip these, and you end up with driving, with generous time limits (if any), from one cutscene to the next one. What is the case, as I understand, with GTA IV.

MetalCraze

Arcane
GTA4 did have some good "quests" but generally you are correct. In fact GTA4 doesn't even have time limited quests any more but a single one with racing. Beat it right away.
Other quests are about following GPS (that every single vehicle but your own foot have - and by GPS I mean a line leading you to the quest point) and shooting people at your destination.
Then they added a social annoyance - taking your friends out. And you have to grind if you want bonuses.

VC and SA are better.

Drakron

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
I beg your pardon? You never again drive a car in GTA:SA? Just during one, single mission? I bet you are one of these fellows that have been bitching about a car race in tha Mafia game. Oh no, I have to lern how to drive in-game car while playng a game where 80% on the gameplay consists of driving a car. The horror. A unfair horror, to the boot.

What the hell are you talking about?

I am talking about a rather specific mission that is a race in country roads with a fixed car that since its fast sports car have no traction.

And yes, the Mafia race is unfair ... after all 1920's cars are not really made for racing and then you are dropped into a race, the fact they patched it to make it easier says a lot, even if I was going to bitch about Mafia would be more about the shooting controls that take a while to adapt to.

I am yet to play GTA IV, I have gathered that it has been dumbed down beyond any measure. So I cannot tell why "messing around" is eventually over there.
However, it is viable tactic in San Andreas. If game would not want you go to the restricted territory, it would not let you start any side mission there.

Well maybe IF you played GTA IV you would know what messing around only goes as far, wanted level is both easier and harder to lose as there are no bribes and Paint and Spray do not work when you being pursued, being outside the search circle does remove wanted level.

But good luck with THAT when you have a six stars wanted level and when you are in a place were you are not suppose to be, it refreshes until you leave the area.

Oh did I mentioned police is more aggressive and better equipped?

Core gameplay of GTA games consist of kiling set amount of NPCs in some short period of time, or picking up bunch of checkpoints while driving horribly unresponsive car minigames/mini missions. Whatever sily storyline they slap on it, it is only a pretext leading you from one crazy stunt to another. Skip these, and you end up with driving, with generous time limits (if any), from one cutscene to the next one. What is the case, as I understand, with GTA IV.

Core gameplay is shooting and driving, core gameplay is not Dance Dance Revolution ... GTA IV dates no longer require to "beat" some minigame to be successful (just go to the places the person likes to go) as if they are still present (there is Pool, Bowling and Darts) there is no "You Must Beat this Minigame in Order to Proceed" like there was in GTA:SA.

Is that a bad thing? I mean ... if Core Gameplay is driving and shooting were does BOWLING fits into that?

torpid

Liturgist
The game was recognized at the Tribeca Film Festival last night -- the first game to be ever be honored at the event. It was demonstrated for the crowd and a Q&A session revealed the casual-gamer-friendly feature.

Why are mainstream developers so fascinated with movies and why do they keep wanting to make their games more like movies and less like games? Are failed writers so influential in the game-making process? Does it really help sales? After all, the top casual games are puzzles games and such, not multimillion dollar, story-driven cinematic games.

Johannes

Arcane
Btw, are there any adventure games that actually had good action sequences? I remember some from Rise of The Dragon, Heart of China and Full Throttle at least, but those parts were all trash pretty much (and you can skip the ones in RoTD after a few tries...).

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Drakron said:
Gordon Freeman said:

What the hell are you talking about?

I am talking about a rather specific mission that is a race in country roads with a fixed car that since its fast sports car have no traction.

And yes, the Mafia race is unfair ... after all 1920's cars are not really made for racing and then you are dropped into a race, the fact they patched it to make it easier says a lot, even if I was going to bitch about Mafia would be more about the shooting controls that take a while to adapt to.
Whtat am I talking about? Isn't is obvious? Unfair... Unfair?! The game is supposed to be a challange. Not "fair". Where is the fun if you can just beat is from start to a finish without so much as a hitch?

Well maybe IF you played GTA IV you would know what messing around only goes as far, wanted level is both easier and harder to lose as there are no bribes and Paint and Spray do not work when you being pursued, being outside the search circle does remove wanted level.

But good luck with THAT when you have a six stars wanted level and when you are in a place were you are not suppose to be, it refreshes until you leave the area.

Oh did I mentioned police is more aggressive and better equipped?
Once I am in the right mood I am sure I'll get all these pigeons before the storyline. The problem being, from what I hear, there is nothing fun to do in that game, aside from hunting pigeons in 6 star territory, and maybe one, single, bank robbery mission. GTA series has became "accesible", is seems. And "fair".

Core gameplay is shooting and driving, core gameplay is not Dance Dance Revolution ... GTA IV dates no longer require to "beat" some minigame to be successful (just go to the places the person likes to go) as if they are still present (there is Pool, Bowling and Darts) there is no "You Must Beat this Minigame in Order to Proceed" like there was in GTA:SA.

Is that a bad thing? I mean ... if Core Gameplay is driving and shooting were does BOWLING fits into that?
So, you have been given a Pool, Bowling and even Darts, and GTA all of the sudden have become fair to you? I am sure that Pool, Darts and Bowling, the new core gameplay, are playing itself by itself, with minimal input from the player. You just drive around, watch cutscenes and throw Darts (a fair darts, they must never miss). Good for you. I rather install Vice City again, and ply with RC chopper. Is may be "unfair", but at least it can be fun.

Archibald

Arcane
I`m sure that in another thread this faggot will flame QTE`s while he is defending here bullshit like dance dance revolution.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Archibald said:
I`m sure that in another thread this faggot will flame QTE`s while he is defending here bullshit like dance dance revolution.
Faggot? I resent that. I really do. Is the name calling all you are able to put out?

For the record, I slightly disliked dancing in san andreas.
Thats not the point. What I am ineptly trying to defend, are things that are actually difficult in games. I just strongly dislike people who use to cry bloody murder when something, be it figting mechanics or difficult race cannot be completed off hand. Since it is too dificult for them, it is unfair and shoud be removed from games for ever and ever. "Hell, I had to repeat a mission," because the first time I failed to pay attention "Is is unfair, why sould I develop any skills why playing an arcade game?!" Or, since we talk about it, why shoud I need an analytical thinking while playing a strategy game? I just want to have fun, the game forces me to test different strategies, it is unfair and not fun at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom