Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Women of Bioware rejoice!

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Oh shit, you stupid, stupid, pig ignorant fucking cunts. I don't fucking believe this.

L.A. Noire isn't an action game in the same vein as many of Rockstar's other titles. And as such, the developer will allow players to skip action sections after a few failures to complete them.

Do you know what other game lets you do this? Freespace 2. You heard it here first, FS2 is a dumbed down piece of shit. You fucking dipshits.

Drakron

Arcane
You know what?

Fuck you guys, FUCK YOU!

Why?

1)Its optional and it will only pop up after you fail enough times (at least according to the Article ... that apparently NONE OF YOU DUMBFUCKS READ!)

2)Rockstar have the incredible ANNOYING habbit of making bullshit story missions because they made a MINI-GAME and instead making it optional, they made a STORY MISSION ITS TUTORIAL!

And I RAGED AS A MOTHERFUCKER in many of those, like that STUPID FUCKING CROSS-COUNTRY RACE in San Andreas were after I beat it ONCE using something that actually HAD traction, I was given a sports car that had the handling of a oiled rug in a wet surface to do it AGAIN, IN REVERSE!

And then there are the homages, like that "follow the train" in GTA4 that had me drive into the same FUCKING ALLEY more times that I liked and why not just be in the station exist when the train arrived I asked? well because its HOMAGE and we cannot have things like "logic" and "cleaver thinking" ruining that.
(It also had a stupid mandatory street race as usual)

So yes, I WELCOME THIS if that means things like those examples above I can skip ... core mechanics and learning curve is one thing, having to learn something to progress the game that NEVER EVER will be required BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING MINIGAME is another.

.Sigurd

Educated
Lord Rocket said:
Oh shit, you stupid, stupid, pig ignorant fucking cunts. I don't fucking believe this.

L.A. Noire isn't an action game in the same vein as many of Rockstar's other titles. And as such, the developer will allow players to skip action sections after a few failures to complete them.

Do you know what other game lets you do this? Freespace 2. You heard it here first, FS2 is a dumbed down piece of shit. You fucking dipshits.

Nothing new here. See "Ghost people of New Vegas DLC".

deuxhero

Arcane
Lord Rocket said:

FS2 gave you penalties that stuck with your save FOREVER if you did LTIC.

Drakron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I like how "cleaver thinking" (cutting content) makes more sense in this context than "clever thinking"

I Mad and spellchecker does not complain about words that are actually correct but are a misspelling of author intended to write.

And I am still right, Rockstar for "open worlds" really pushes scripted missions were you will fail because its a open world and they want for you to do this exactly, its not my first time bitching about this habit of theirs.

I would like to play a open world western but Red Dead Revolver would be something I never played after I watched the mandatory "lasso and break horses", as its a open world the player is for most part "on a rails" and there is too much of a influence of minigames that have their tutorials being Story Missions.

Besides this is L.A. Noir, not GTA 1950 L.A. ...if the focus of the game is a investigation like in adventures games then the car pursuits and over the shoulder shooting are not part of the intended core gameplay, its like that turrent shooting section in KOTOR when you are just dropped into it despite not being part of the mechanics being used until then and not being used for the majority of the game.

After all, if adventure games start ditching puzzles in exchange for action and stealth sequences ... is that a "incline" or a "decline"? I know were I stand on this.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Blackadder said:
So, the CRPG developers are attempting to get to a GTA like state (not as fun however), and now GTA is being dumbed down.

Thank god War games have been indie only for years now. I can just imagine a romantic cutscene between a major blitzkrieg attack.

hitler_300x200.jpg

Sonuvabitch. The mucus in my nostrils flew out. :lol:

SoupNazi

When I first saw this topic and the first post I thought they had skippable CUTscenes and rejoiced. Then I read on...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xor said:
Probably for the same reasons we do - to have fun. Simple, arcade-like games are clearly fun to a wider audience than the hardcore cinematic games of today.

hardcore cinematic games of today

Am I missing some kind of witty sarcasm here?

Holding a single button while car reverses, turns and drives all on itself in CoD surely is hardcore.

attackfighter said:
There's interrogating people, looking for clues and probably some other detective work.

Basically watching cutscenes where your character talks (interrogating people), glowing items (looking for clues) and following quest-compass (some other detective work).

I don't see how it's different from all other "hardcore cinematic games of today"?

The game was recognized at the Tribeca Film Festival last night -- the first game to be ever be honored at the event.

You know it's going to be shit when a Film Festival recognizes a game

jagged-jimmy said:
Haha you can skip TO the cutscenes!

Still devs are too much of pussies today. They are too afraid to go all out laserdisc right away so turn their games into a 3 hour long ugly movie gradually even though consoletards hate games and will welcome laserdisc with open arms.

Black

Arcane
Drakron said:
MetalCraze said:
Basically watching cutscenes where your character talks (interrogating people), glowing items (looking for clues) and following quest-compass (some other detective work).

I don't see how it's different from all other "hardcore cinematic games of today"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYym1U226M

Skyway never changes ..
"You play as World War II hero".
Yeah, American WW II hero, now that's something.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Drakron said:
MetalCraze said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYym1U226M

Skyway never changes ..

Yeah the glowing items is the only bit they didn't show out of what I said will be there - they just showed clues already in your hands.

It has a quest compass for tracking suspects. Didn't next-gen reach the point where models became distinguishable? Because 10 years ago we had that and didn't require a big red dot on the minimap to track the only bot on the street that is going somewhere.

Drakron

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Yeah the glowing items is the only bit they didn't show out of what I said will be there - they just showed clues already in your hands.

They shown a update to your notebook and what you can do now, they are simply notifications to what you have found.

Unless you think its a TERRIBLE AWFUL THING for the game to notify the player he found something or that a clue points to a certain location.

It has a quest compass for tracking suspects.Didn't next-gen reach the point where models became distinguishable? Because 10 years ago we had that and didn't require a big red dot on the minimap to track the only bot on the street that is going somewhere.

What you are talking about is the section were the detective is trailing someone and as it might be a aid, it also helps the player to know when he is loosing sight of the target. not exactly new as at least GTA IV did had some "trailing" missions using the exact same mechanics.

Its not a "track suspects", even if the game does said models are unique there is something called THE SCALE OF THE WORLD ... one of the notifications did shown it marked a new locations, going after a suspect will be simply go to its location on the map as its pretty much what happens in the real world, Detectives dont rush into the street looking to find their suspect, they go to the suspect likely current locations (house, work, etc ...).

So you are shooting off you mouth as usual ... you know, I am still with reservations with the game because its really not showing gameplay that much and those "branching" does not change the fact you always solve the case.

In fact I found this.

http://www.la-noire.net/forums/thread-518.html

Audio and controller cues strikes me as a bit of too much help but they can be disabled, my interest in game remains cautioned, I proper review (and maybe a YouTube playthrough) is something I will require before I decide to buy it or not as at this point there is too much I dont know about the game.

Johannes

Arcane
Adventure game with action sequences, doesn't sound like a bad concept to start with but impossible to say yet if the execution will be good. Of course if you don't like adventure games it's easy to say it's not for you.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Drakron said:
2)Rockstar have the incredible ANNOYING habbit of making bullshit story missions because they made a MINI-GAME and instead making it optional, they made a STORY MISSION ITS TUTORIAL!

And I RAGED AS A MOTHERFUCKER in many of those, like that STUPID FUCKING CROSS-COUNTRY RACE in San Andreas were after I beat it ONCE using something that actually HAD traction, I was given a sports car that had the handling of a oiled rug in a wet surface to do it AGAIN, IN REVERSE!
Aren't these minigames the entire point of GTA games? You know, I cannot believe that anyone can take any GTA storyline seriously. It is just a pretext to let you play some fun minigames. To try and try and try untill you are ready to throw your PC out of the window before your head explode. Leave the game in disgust, only to return an hour latter, to try one more time. Then another one. If you can skip that, then what's the point of the game? Drive around and shoot some peds? For how long can it be entertainig?

MetalCraze

Arcane
What you are talking about is the section were the detective is trailing someone and as it might be a aid, it also helps the player to know when he is loosing sight of the target

Uhh... This may be a shocking question but... Can't the player use his eyes?

Its not a "track suspects", even if the game does said models are unique there is something called THE SCALE OF THE WORLD ... one of the notifications did shown it marked a new locations, going after a suspect will be simply go to its location on the map as its pretty much what happens in the real world, Detectives dont rush into the street looking to find their suspect, they go to the suspect likely current locations (house, work, etc ...).

Life must be very hard for you, dude. Always getting lost without quest-compasses when going outside

Johannes

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
Drakron said:

Aren't these minigames the entire point of GTA games? You know, I cannot believe that anyone can take any GTA storyline seriously. It is just a pretext to let you play some fun minigames. To try and try and try untill you are ready to throw your PC out of the window before your head explode. Leave the game in disgust, only to return an hour latter, to try one more time. Then another one. If you can skip that, then what's the point of the game? Drive around and shoot some peds? For how long can it be entertainig?
Minigames are the point in GTA games? How come the first 2 of them didn't have any then?

Drakron

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
Aren't these minigames the entire point of GTA games?

No, in fact how many "minigames" did you had in the early PlayStation GTA?
It was GTA:SA that really gone overboard with those, we had TWO type of Rhythm minigames in that one.

There is a reason why people HATED the RC missions ...

MetalCraze said:
Uhh... This may be a shocking question but... Can't the player use his eyes?

With a 3rd person POV? sure Assassins Creed does that too but it also have audio and visual cues.

Life must be very hard for you, dude. Always getting lost without quest-compasses when going outside

I suppose if you were dump in, say Xangai and you were told to find Mr. Chang you would be able to zoom in on him without the anything.

I am NOT familiar with every single inch of the 32.7 sq miles of my home town, you ARE suggesting the player MUST be familiar with the geography of a 8 square miles town to the point he can pinpoint the location of ANY NPC that populates the city.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Drakron said:
Gordon Freeman said:
Aren't these minigames the entire point of GTA games?

No, in fact how many "minigames" did you had in the early PlayStation GTA?
It was GTA:SA that really gone overboard with those, we had TWO type of Rhythm minigames in that one.

There is a reason why people HATED the RC missions ...
Well, I LOVED rc missions...

PlsyStation GTA? Playstation? I wouldn't know. Banish the thought.
Anyway you sort of refered to one of the raids for Woozy as a minigame. So I gussed that, say, Patriot Playground or NRG 500 Challange, very fun missions in it's own rights, for you would be also some sort of despised minigames?

Drakron

Arcane
PlayStation generation means GTA III and forth.

And as RC controls were annoying I had not that much issues with then, however in GTA:SA they expected you to play Dance Dance Revolution and this is were I draw the line.

No minigame should be mandatory, F:NV have gambling minigames were stats even have a effect on the games but at no point you are required to "win" at then, GTA forces that into the player and also you only have to do then ONCE, never again so there is a dissonance as even if you HAVE to win at least once you only have to do then once ... no point to them as story missions.

Also as you are aware, GTA starts with locked areas ... in SA you cannot go to Las Venturas at the start, heck you cannot even leave Los Santos and in order to open up the first area you have to beat several minigames, on the top of my head the referenced DDR (and its car version) and a race.

"Fun" is a relative concept, when I just HAVE to so something I am clearly unable to then its "fun" or is it frustrating ... I dont play racing games because I am not good at then, I understand WHY with the driving mechanics GTA have racing but there are limits and they certainly passed those with that bullshit cross country race with a fixed car mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom