Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Witcher 2 bitch-slaps Dragon Age 2's graphics

DraQ

Arcane
racofer said:
No, it doesn't.
Dragon%20Age%20II%202.jpg

Herp Derp.

Fix'd.

Suchy

Arcane
racofer said:
You're comparing art style with those screenshots, not graphics. That specific region of DA2 "looks barren" because it's supposed to be barren.
I haven't seen any DA2 screenshot that didn't look barren. Same in the city shots. Huge empty streets surrounded by huge walls.
Also TW1 surpasses DA2 in both: art style and graphics. Seriously, DA2 looks like some crap jRPG console hack&slash.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon%20Age%20II%202.jpg

Don't tell me this screenshot looks like this because it's a conscious art direction and is supposed to look like that.

Because, honestly, even by 2004 standards this would look like shit. JUST LOOK AT THOSE GROUND TEXTURES. They look like, I dunno, fluid pus or the skin of a leper or something, what with them being so pink. Heck, Morrowind did barren ground better than that and it was released in 2002.

This screenshot is just fucking ugly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's the first screenshot ever from back in July. They've improved it... ever so slightly since then.
24v6vfd.jpg

"I can confirm that we're doing a lot of work on the Dragon Age engine, and doing a lot of stuff to pump it -- to make it visually super hot." -- Greg Zeschuk. Trust him, he's a doctor.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shit. Still Looks like shit. Even has shitty colours. Literally.

Ha I won't be surprised if TW2 will bitch-slap Crysis2 graphics. Gotta love consoles.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, still looks like the ground is made of vomit. Slightly better texture, still horrible art design and technologically sub-par.

DraQ

Arcane
I wouldn't actually mind it being technologically subpar, if they didn't try to rely on GFX so much, with retarded blood splatter and stuff like that. And if they actually had art design worth a dime.
Since neither is true, I think I can be excused for rubbing their own shit in their faces.

ortucis

Prophet
Roguey said:
That's the first screenshot ever from back in July. They've improved it... ever so slightly since then.
24v6vfd.jpg

Hmm, interesting and.. wait a minute..

shakeIt.jpg

(Yeah, I have nothing better to do. :M )

Turjan

Arcane
Everything I have seen of DA2 so far looks ugly. I don't know about its graphics quality — although what I have seen doesn't look too impressive, either — but I don't like the whole art direction. It's really not too hard to beat that.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
My, those screens look even shittier than I remembered. Anyone got some more recent shots?

Angthoron

Arcane
It's kinda sort of funny, they're not going for open-world RPGs, so they could just go for better detail in the smaller locations and add minor detail and embellishments to stuff. This could've done a lot to make the games more attractive and memorable - in fact, this is what Baldur's Gate/2 had going for it a lot, detailed zones. Hell, even NWN OC had more attention to detail in the zones than DA had.

For me, DA landscape felt incredibly generic, bland, derivative, randomly generated, whatever. Oblivion had more memorable sceneries than this, and that's saying a lot, after all, the game was largely randomly generated there.

But really - ruins in DA were dull, villages were dull, mountain peaks were dull, cities were dull. I kept on waiting for the time when I'd see some sign of quality in graphical design, but up to the moment of my ragequit, I found none. Bland scenery and obviously fake backgrounds all the way.

So why is it that a zone-based game had such a shitty design going for it? Oh, and was there something in the game that actually was designed in some sort of a memorable way that I missed?

made

Arcane
Obviously it's because Bioware cannot into programming, so the only way they can get it to run smoothly on consoles and midrange PCs is by drastically reducing texture detail and model quality using highly stylized graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom