Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Witcher 2 bitch-slaps Dragon Age 2's graphics

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher 2, The

<p><a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/10/we-look-better-the-witcher-2-dev-calls-out-dragon-age-2s-graphics/">From PCGamer</a>:</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">I was chatting with Tomas Gop (senior producer on The Witcher 2) last week while CD Projekt was in town to show off a new slice of its action-RPG. When the demo was done, I asked him directly: &ldquo;How would you distinguish your game from Dragon Age 2?&rdquo; Here&rsquo;s what he said.<br /> <br /> <strong>Tomas Gop:</strong> &ldquo;That&rsquo;s quite easy, actually. There are a few things that I can easily find. First, we don&rsquo;t have a generic fantasy world. I mean [the author] Andrzej Sapkowski spent a huge part of his life doing this. It&rsquo;s comfortable for us. It&rsquo;s consistent, it&rsquo;s really working. Everything is kind of logical in this world, and it works out well for us. The other thing&ndash;I don&rsquo;t really think it is possible to distinguish some of the things you&rsquo;re choosing between as &lsquo;good or bad&rsquo; or &lsquo;good and evil.&rsquo; We always like to think about when you have a choice in The Witcher, it&rsquo;s more like what I would actually do.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">It&rsquo;s not black and white, and that&rsquo;s the most important thing. And we look better. I mean, sorry, seriously&ndash;I love Bethesda, BioWare games, I play them. But, c&rsquo;mon. You cannot be indifferent to that, you cannot omit the difference. We simply look better.&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Yes, in the world of RPGs, developers speak not of the depth of their role-playing, but of the quality of their bloom. Follow the link for screenshot comparisons and video. In other news, we're expecting BioWare to do a Lord of the Rings RPG and respond with "nyah"... either that or they'll just laugh every time The Witcher 2 CTD's.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks <strong>20 Eyes</strong>!</p>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, talk about FOX style sensationalism. One bit at the end says "we look better" in a tongue in cheek(though true) way and all of a sudden it's all that the developer talks about. :roll:

Gop mentions a better, more consistent and less generic fantasy world and the moral ambiguity of the C&C before this.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
commie said:
Gop mentions a better, more consistent and less generic fantasy world and the moral ambiguity of the C&C before this.
Nobody cares. It's the graphx that matter, because they are used to depict sex, duh.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, he is right. DA2 looks astonishingly bad, but I wouldn't say the apparently bloom happy TW2 is all that much better. I mean, it looks like the art is pretty, but fuck me if they're not adding every shitty graphic "enhancement" to white wash the fuck out of the game.

That said, the audacity of this nigger to pretend that TW had riveting moral questions :lol:

Gosling

Liturgist
In other news:

"First Dragon Age 2 review takes Editor’s Choice award in PC Gamer"

Our Dragon Age 2 review is in, and we’ve given it a score worthy of an Editor’s Choice award, calling it “darkier, sexier, better.”

Satisfying, lightning-fast combat and spectacular spacial moves helped Dragon Age 2 to take the PC Gamer Editor’s Choice award

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I mean [the author] Andrzej Sapkowski spent a huge part of his life doing this.
Lol. So fucking what? It's still horrible. It's generic fantasy garbage, and Geralt is a generic fantasy superhero.

Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind spent decades on their series', and both were/are fucking horrible.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If the writing in the book is even remotely similiar to what is found in The Twitcher or if Gerlat comes across as the same loser in the novels then yeah the book is garbage.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
If the writing in the book is even remotely similiar to what is found in The Twitcher or if Gerlat comes across as the same loser in the novels then yeah the book is garbage.
So you guys haven't even read the books, yet you are first to judge. Oh how silly.

And how can the writing in the book and in the game be similar? The former was written by an award winning author, and the latter was written by a guy at CD Projekt. CD Projekt only used the Witcher universe, and characters in the game, but they have written the story themselves.

Angthoron

Arcane
Someone should make an RPG based on Volourn, or at least her cool stories.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So you guys haven't even read the books, yet you are first to judge. Oh how silly. "

Um.. I never judged the book. Read my post again, dude, ffs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"So you guys haven't even read the books, yet you are first to judge. Oh how silly. "

Um.. I never judged the book. Read my post again, dude, ffs.
Point taken. Although this wasn't targeted at solely you, but to the others as well, who judge without reading the book.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
I love this Witchery drama i have to say. Can't comment on the quality of The Witcher since i haven't played it but in the lulz department it delivers. Here's hoping the sequel is just as good.
: x

Pegultagol

Erudite
Whoa, that is one broadside after another! Is the Polish better known for their frankness and directness of diction or mischievous merry-making?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Not only will Skyrim look better than Oblivion, you will also be able to get all perks with one character!

Angthoron

Arcane
We'll be hailing ArcaniA as a shining example of RPG yet, mark my word.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom