Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
are you worried they going tp drop the Romance card system?

I'm not worried about anything, I was just wondering what the business strategy is here.

With the success of the Netflix series this is a good time for a remake for an older game like W1

Can you name one example of when a successful TV Show massively raised its audience's interest in a video-game based on the same setting?

But it will also be a good investment for the millions of established fans, I will definitely buy it. I have only played W1 once so it makes sense

Yeah, "millions of established fans" is a bit of a stretch. Out of something like 15-ish people I know who are fans of the show, only two have played the game, and I say "game" in singular on purpose because it was only the third one. It would take Cyberpunk-levels of marketing and hype to get them interested in a remake of a game from 2007.
During the GoT TV series there were several GoT games launched?

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-of-thrones-game-you-can-play-on-pc/
Of course PC Gamer will list absolute trash, and skip the best, which as usual also costs 0:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

Lambach

Arcane

That's not what I asked. Did the show get a large part of its millions of viewers interested in these games and motivate them to buy them?

The Telltale one was possibly moderately successful, but that's more likely because Telltale themselves were well-known as the #1 developer of those "interactive movie" type of games with an established fanbase. The rest? Almost nobody knows they even exist. The "RPG" one is so obscure and forgettable that I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned even here. Etc.

BruceVC

Magister

That's not what I asked. Did the show get a large part of its millions of viewers interested in these games and motivate them to buy them?

The Telltale one was possibly moderately successful, but that's more likely because Telltale themselves were well-known as the #1 developer of those "interactive movie" type of games with an established fanbase. The rest? Almost nobody knows they even exist. The "RPG" one is so obscure and forgettable that I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned even here. Etc.
Mmmm...okay I see what you mean, I need to think about it more and get back to you

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I barely crawled through three epidodes and called it quits. It was a fucking snorefest and made me NOT want to play the games. (Which i still haven't..)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Lizard

Learned

Yes, the Witcher tv show. For your original question. lol
https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/70501/us-witcher-3-sales-up-554-following-netflix-show/

Don't think GoT got any successful games aside from mobile though.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
274875896_676697017001848_2462447272636699442_n.jpg

Lambach

Arcane

Lizard

Learned

554 per cent year-on-year increase in December 2019 following the

How many copies do you think a game released in 2015 sold in 2018? The 554% increase doesn't look nearly as impressive when put into context.
2019 Was the second best year by the time this data was released https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/
Then it became third best year by the time data for 2020 came around. 2019 was somewhere over 6 million copies it looks like, and the launch year was probably just over 9 million. They never said exactly what 2020's was but it is somewhere between launch and 2019 so 6-9 million.
2020 directly following the release of the show toward the end of December was the second best year for the game in terms of units sold, the best year being launch. The show was out for less than one month in 2019.
https://screenrant.com/witcher-3-sales-2020-best-year-30-million/
From over 30 million in 2020 to then over 40 million. https://www.gameinformer.com/2022/0...on-copies-cyberpunk-2077-surpasses-18-million
For a game that was about half a decade old at that point it seems like a pretty big jump.

Frozen

Arcane
This will either never get made because stinky Poles are lazy and incompetent, or it will be some lazy reskin shit and sold for 100$ They will remove things (tits, cards) and call it a feature.

Semiurge

Cipher
One thing hasn't been brought up yet - can the savegames of the remake be ported into Witcher 2?

The way TW2 did c&c was kinda impressive, but at the same time suboptimal.

It would've been alright if both versions of chapter 2 took place in the same location, but with a different cast of characters. Or if the Chapter 2's story elements weren't so crucial for understanding the plot of the game. Or if the whole game consisted of mutually exclusive missable areas. What's the point of C&C if you'll have to replay the whole game to see one single big chapter that you were forced to miss? May as well put a chapter select option, or an autosave that explicitly says "load this to check out on missed content".

In my opinion the pros of making both Aedirn and Henselt's camp available for the same playthrough outweigh the rather ambitious C&C. The ideal flow would be that chapter 2 is Henselt's camp, chapter 3 Aedirn and in epilogue/chapter 4 the additional side quests for both previous chapters are available and not mutually exclusive with rescuing Triss from her captors. If seeing everything the game has to offer in one playthrough is lame, then a lameoid am I.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane
The way TW2 did c&c was kinda impressive, but at the same time suboptimal.

It would've been alright if both versions of chapter 2 took place in the same location, but with a different cast of characters. Or if the Chapter 2's story elements weren't so crucial for understanding the plot of the game. Or if the whole game consisted of mutually exclusive missable areas. What's the point of C&C if you'll have to replay the whole game to see one single big chapter that you were forced to miss? May as well put a chapter select option, or an autosave that explicitly says "load this to check out on missed content".
In my opinion the pros of making both Aedirn and Henselt's camp available for the same playthrough outweigh the rather ambitious C&C. The ideal flow would be that chapter 2 is Henselt's camp, chapter 3 Aedirn and in epilogue/chapter 4 the additional side quests for both previous chapters are available and not mutually exclusive with rescuing Triss from her captors. If seeing everything the game has to offer in one playthrough is lame, then a lameoid am I.
Now this I don't agree with. The foremost value in player agency isn't in replayability, but validation. It's a rhetorical device that furthers your emotional involvement in your progression, and the more dramatic the consequences, the more impressive it is. At a commensurate cost in development resources, of course.

I only played TW2 once and I loved the split in Chapter 2, I never felt compelled to play it again to see the other side of it but it was patently obvious that the decision I'd made at the end of the prior chapter had made a massive difference. And the thing is that I typically tend to want to see as much of a game as I can in a single playthrough, but only to the extent it's inherently available in said playthrough - I dread missing content because I didn't look hard enough, but I'm all for mutually exclusive content based on choices.

Frankly, it's one of the most memorable aspects of TW2, and all credit to CDPR for having the balls to do it. You could never sneak something like that past Bobby Kotick or whomever the industry's Big Bad is now.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I prefer TW1 combat to TW2. It's simple, sure, but that's fine. Most remakes are pretty awful, AoE2:DE (not an RPG) is likely one of the only outliers there (except the janky melee pathfinding). The original TW1 had great atmosphere and exploration and was the only game in the 2000s that had sort of a Baldur's Gate type feel to it, even though it was 3D, third person single character with no overland map/wilderness areas. Being made with the NWN engine probably helped there combined with the atmosphere and level design.

TW2 combat without that mod that makes moves consistent to your keypresses is a nightmare.

Semiurge

Cipher
I only played TW2 once and I loved the split in Chapter 2, I never felt compelled to play it again to see the other side of it but it was patently obvious that the decision I'd made at the end of the prior chapter had made a massive difference.

Which side did you choose?

Semiurge

Cipher
Which side did you choose?
Henselt.

I can understand why, starting from the last main quest of chapter 1 that cements your decision (the assault on Loredo's mansion) it's made clear that more polish was put on this side of chapter 2. That's why it's such a tragedy that the other half sheds so much more light on things that will otherwise remain a mystery for Geralt. And I still don't understand why even Siegfried was left out of the game completely unless you import a Witcher 1 save in which you sided with the order. What a waste. His absence can't be explained by your choices in the previous game, even the choice to kill him is almost* completely independent of your affiliation. His presence was a mere easter-egg.

* If you side with the order, you can't kill him obviously, but even when siding with the squirrels, you may be able to persuade him to back off. Maybe. When remaining neutral it's certainly possible.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
And I still don't understand why even Siegfried was left out of the game completely unless you import a Witcher 1 save in which you sided with the order. Why not simply have his disposition change instead? What a waste.
he dies in the first game if you side with scoiataels.

Though i agree, Siegfried was awesome and it would've been cool if CDPR retconned his death.

Semiurge

Cipher
Though i agree, Siegfried was awesome and it would've been cool if CDPR retconned his death.

It was stupid of them to ignore the possibility that neutral Geralts may have spared his life. Makes you wonder if there was something about those Witcher 1 saves that ignored the choice to remain neutral and sparing his life, like as if there were only two outcomes for the save - either Geralt sides with the order, or Siegfried is marked as dead even if you spare him on a neutral path.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Who... who asked for this? What's the target audience here?
There first game sold a million copies at launch and probably another million or two since then (+people who got it for free during different promotions). Witcher 2 had several (8?) million copies and them W3 was a breakthrough title with several dozen millions.

Most people only played W3 and for them the first game is too archaic in terms of gameplay and presentation to even touch. Also it was only releasesed on PC, not on consoles.

If they deliver W3 level quality they may see a new big release on their hands.

Are there really that many Twitcher 1 fans who were howling for that game to get remade?
Not at all. I'm perfectly happy with my W1. Wouldn't say no to a technical remaster but don't see a need for a remake. It's done for people who only played the third one and want to know the rest of the story.

Are there really that many normies who only played Twitcher 3 and got so invested into the franchise that they expressed the desire for a remake of a (let's be honest) janky-as-fuck-looking RPG from 2007 instead of just watching the Netflix adaptation crap to scratch that itch?
Netflix adapts (very poorly) the books, not the games which happen after the novels end. For a lots of people there is a missing story there.
Or maybe the idea is to release it just in time to remind people of the franchise and raise hype for the rumored (Geralt-free) Twitcher 4?
That's probably a reason too. It's been 6/7 years since Witcher 3 and expansions and probably 5 more at least until the new trilogy begins. They need to refresh the Witcher in people's memory.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With the success of the Netflix series this is a good time for a remake for an older game like W1
Well then they better hurry with development. The success of this shitty show relies solely on Henry Cavill's performance and once he leaves the role in Season 3, Netflix Witcher show will die in obscurity.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
are you worried they going tp drop the Romance card system?

I'm not worried about anything, I was just wondering what the business strategy is here.

Can you name one example of when a successful TV Show massively raised its audience's interest in a video-game based on the same setting?

But it will also be a good investment for the millions of established fans, I will definitely buy it. I have only played W1 once so it makes sense

Yeah, "millions of established fans" is a bit of a stretch. Out of something like 15-ish people I know who are fans of the show, only two have played the game, and I say "game" in singular on purpose because it was only the third one. It would take Cyberpunk-levels of marketing and hype to get them interested in a remake of a game from 2007.

Yes, the rpg one was good actually despite visuals and low budget feel. Great story that adds to the novels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom