Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

Starwars

Arcane
I like the Witcher 3 score overall but given the size and scope of the game a lot of the tracks get repetitive after a while. Like the music associated with Velen, it's quite good and sets the tone very well. But you just hear it way too much throughout the course of the game. And some of the battle tracks get annoying, I don't really need to hear the ethnic "lalalaleelhlalalelalaaleleeh" lady start shouting at me each time a wolf spots me.
I also didn't like most of the Novigrad music.
Some of the music that you hear less of overall is very good. The music in the swamp orphanage and the meeting with the Ladies makes those parts of the game really stand out.

The Witcher 2 was a mixed bag for me. The Vergen music is outstanding, probably some of my favorite music from a game ever. The Floatsam music was also good. Wasn't a fan of the more epic tracks though.

Witcher 1 soundtrack is absolutely outstanding overall and does so much to bring the game to life. One of my all time favorite game soundtracks.

MasPingon

Arcane
Wasn't a fan of the more epic tracks though.

I agree, the only "epic" track I liked was this

The Witcher 2 OST feels overall too western, too "pop".

I loved this tack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLsI6Manyl0&ab_channel=MarcinPrzybyłowicz

It was a background track during last coversation with Letho, before final battle of two Witchers, made by Witcher 1 composer, Marcin Przybyłowicz. I remember I had a goose bump while listening to it. They cut it of course in one of the updates, guess it didn't fit the "modern audience".

Last edited:

yellowcake

Arcane
For what it's worth, one of my favorite W3 tracks is the one seldom mentioned, probably because it didn't make its way into the official OST. The White Orchard theme. Walking on the sandy riverbanks with reeds and shrubs flogged by wind on the verge of unknown unfolding is peak nostalgia for me.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Judging by the new tracks that they made for the quest in witcher 3 next gen Im not worried about soundtrack in the new games.

Even Witcher 2 which was weakest in terms of soundtrack still had many great tracks.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FTFY
The Witcher 1 OST was distinctly slavic and did not feel western. It was unique and I haven't quite heard anything like it in any other video game. The Witcher 2 and 3 were very different from it.

Even though Witcher 3 soundtrack was good, The Witcher 3 never had the "Medieval fantasy slavic village" atmosphere. And The Witcher 2 tried to be Game of Thrones a little too hard.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
FTFY
The Witcher 1 OST was distinctly slavic and did not feel western. It was unique and I haven't quite heard anything like it in any other video game. The Witcher 2 and 3 were very different from it.

Even though Witcher 3 soundtrack was good, The Witcher 3 never had the "Medieval fantasy slavic village" atmosphere. And The Witcher 2 tried to be Game of Thrones a little too hard.

It's too bad too. I've been playing some Witcher 3 since the update released, and some of the areas outside Novigrad and Oxenfurt (and White Orchard) feel like they could've stepped into that feel that the Witcher 1 had (like with the Outskirts, or the Chapter 4 town/fields). But you never spend any real quality time there, and as you say, the music never really hits home either. It's mostly window dressing.

Witcher 1 was absolutely steeped in that folksy, fantasy fairytale/medieval atmosphere. And Vizima is one of my favorite cities among the 3D RPGs. The slummy area absolutely feels like a shithole, and the Merchant Quarter feels like an upper class shithole. It's great.

Dhaze

Cipher
The Witcher 1 had an atmosphere close to that of Sapkowski's first few short stories. Once the Witcher 2 and 3 veered towards the novels and Ciri and the whole saga angle, the small-scale and folksy feeling needed done away with, mostly, or at least they had to be shoved aside unceremoniously.

And I have to say that for its atmosphere alone, The Witcher 1 remains by far my favorite in the series.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's too bad too. I've been playing some Witcher 3 since the update released, and some of the areas outside Novigrad and Oxenfurt (and White Orchard) feel like they could've stepped into that feel that the Witcher 1 had (like with the Outskirts, or the Chapter 4 town/fields). But you never spend any real quality time there, and as you say, the music never really hits home either. It's mostly window dressing.
This 100%. However, I find it strange that The Witcher 1 definitely aged badly, and it is not just the character models, or even the combat. There is something about the dialogues and the quests that feels outdated. It used to be my favourite game 10 years ago, but something certainly changed. Like the game was a little immature and you notice it only once you get older.

However, no game has ever compared to the feeling I first got when roaming the Outskirts, heard the music, waited for the first night...I couldn't believe how good and how different it was from anything else I have tried before that. Or for that matter, since then.

And the feeling of "What, there's more?" every chapter, especially when you leave Vizima and go to Murky Waters, you can't believe the variety and quality of the content and the places...I have only felt this in The Longest Journey (original). The ambition to have so much content, and to keep it consistently good, to keep surprising the player with ambition even 30-40 hours in, to have an ending that is an entire chapter...this is some old school stuff that we never see anymore.

Last edited:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FFS please stop using "aged badly" phrase. Witcher 1 is campy and that what makes it different, it doesn't need modernization.
"Aged badly" merely means that it feels more outdated than it should, and that playing it today feels disproportionately less enjoyable than playing it back in the day. I never said it needed modernisation, I am stating how I feel about it. "Aged badly" is legitimate criticism.

And no, being "campy" isn't what made it different.

Ryzer

Arcane
How about we dispense with "aged badly" and just say Witcher 1's combat didn't age at all, it was a fucking abortion.
Nobody plays Witcher for the combat, from Witcher 1 to 3 it has always been terrible. All witcher games are carried out by extremely charming world, well written characters (well most off), interesting lore, a mature fantasy universe, a fully breathing, complex, living world with everything it entails but never for its combat. (The depressive slavic input has its charm too)

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
All of this has been ruined for me. What has been seen, cannot be unseen. And the association with the Witcher is etched in my mind.

Screenshot-2021-06-25-211706.png

There wasn't even water in it. He was just kneeling in it for the aesthetics....

:prosper:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

My most appreciated track from The Witcher 2 was probably this:

There needs to be more upbeat, positive music in games (especially in long storyfag games). How the hell are you supposed to keep going in hard circumstances if you just mope around endlessly? Of course, part of the cause of this is giving people marching orders of 'make it Dark and Moody™'. But I think there's also an element of some people just being less vivacious.

Old Hans

Arcane
How about we dispense with "aged badly" and just say Witcher 1's combat didn't age at all, it was a fucking abortion.
I always thought the combat in 1 was fine. it was so simple and inoffensive. 2 is much worse, cause they switched over to the "realistic" action combat and the devs were all "IT'S HARD FIGHTING MORE THAN 1 PERSON IRL" which resulted in Geralt rolling around all over the place, which did not feel very witcher like

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom