Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Witcher 1 remake from The Thaumaturge devs

Ryzer

Arcane

As awesome as these are, this one from the Outskirts remains my fave:

Well, that and the menu theme, obviously.

:love:
I got instantly hooked with this:

254061.png

rfhl007ozfr51.jpg

I hated this game due to terrible controls but I ended up liking it very much, this game has a soul, I like Poland.
One of the rare games with a good game design regarding books, I think it's the only one.

CoronerZg

Augur
Fuck you guys! Now I'm listening to this soundtrack and I'm so depressed... modern games are just
soulless piles of shit and there are no more studios capable of making anything close to this. And the game
was not even THAT great, but my God does it look great these days. Fuck my life and this shit age of decline.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here goeas a random unsubstantiated hypothesis. CDPR/FT are already taking a huge liberty with the original by turning the remake into open world. What if they take more liberties in the narrative department? What would be the prime candidates for changes?

First and foremost I'd say Geralt's memory loss no longer makes sense in a remake that's released nearly 20 years after the original game (assuming the remake ships in 2025 or around that time). There is no mystery any more, to motivate the player to discover the things Geralt has forgotten.

Additionally, if you remove the memory loss as a precondition for his relationships with the main cast, this opens up the opportunity to rewrite much of his relationships with Zoltan, Triss, Shani, introduce Yennefer into the plot. Possibly even introduce Ciri and adapt or rewrite the Alvin questline.

I'm not considering this too implausible mainly because CDPR reps have said themselves that in Witcher 1 they resorted to the memory loss because the backstory was too much for them to handle in one game and they lacked the experience to do it justice.

Just a speculation, but "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Open world might provide a logical way out for this remake.

Face it, the original game is well done enough that you need a strong method like total change to open world to advance~

It is the same way if someone want to remake, god forbid, Planescape Torment.

MasPingon

Arcane
Here goeas a random unsubstantiated hypothesis. CDPR/FT are already taking a huge liberty with the original by turning the remake into open world. What if they take more liberties in the narrative department? What would be the prime candidates for changes?

First and foremost I'd say Geralt's memory loss no longer makes sense in a remake that's released nearly 20 years after the original game (assuming the remake ships in 2025 or around that time). There is no mystery any more, to motivate the player to discover the things Geralt has forgotten.

Additionally, if you remove the memory loss as a precondition for his relationships with the main cast, this opens up the opportunity to rewrite much of his relationships with Zoltan, Triss, Shani, introduce Yennefer into the plot. Possibly even introduce Ciri and adapt or rewrite the Alvin questline.

I'm not considering this too implausible mainly because CDPR reps have said themselves that in Witcher 1 they resorted to the memory loss because the backstory was too much for them to handle in one game and they lacked the experience to do it justice.

They've already said it's a remake for "modern audience", so expect a lot of preaching about colonialism, lgbt rights, patriarchy and racism through critical theory standpoint. CPDPR hired a lot of leftists since Witcher 3.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

They've already said it's a remake for "modern audience", so expect a lot of preaching about colonialism, lgbt rights, patriarchy and racism through critical theory standpoint. CPDPR hired a lot of leftists since Witcher 3.
Muh poor elves, eh? Completely ignoring the fact that the bloody knife-ears are world-conquering genocidial scum who used plague to wipe out the Continent's native Vran and were waging a bloody war of conquest on the Dwarves and Gnomes when the Men first arrived.

Last edited:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Fuck you guys! Now I'm listening to this soundtrack and I'm so depressed... modern games are just
soulless piles of shit and there are no more studios capable of making anything close to this. And the game
was not even THAT great, but my God does it look great these days. Fuck my life and this shit age of decline.
Overreaction. The Witcher 3'OST is as good as The Witcher 1.

Cyberpunk music is great too, and also Thronebreaker

If Geralt didn't have amnesia he would be looking for Yennefer and Ciri. Not faffing about with the plots of TW1&2.

An amnesiac protagonist who had to relearn the ropes of his trade and relearn about the world he inhabited and his relationships with the other characters in that world fit perfectly as a starting point for the player who's not familiar with the IP - which was the case for almost the entire audience when TW1 released. Your first drowned dead contract could be scary because of it. And the idea that any mystery in a game's story might as well be removed in a remake just because some of the audience is familiar with it sounds absurd. 20 years later they'd hardly even be the same audience.

There's no need to get rid of the amnesia angle to rewrite Zoltan, Triss and Shani or the Alvin questline.

The remake shouldn't just be a plan B in case the new protag flops, it should still act as an ideal entry point into the Geralt series.

Last edited:

CoronerZg

Augur
Overreaction. The Witcher 3'OST is as good as The Witcher 1.
this-right-here-ee00a8b7f0.jpg

Ryzer

Arcane
In witcher 3, path of the hunt and Aard Skellige theme come close to Witcher 1 ost quality.

Last edited:
Of the last five examples of TW3's OST only Skellige comes close. The rest are repetitive droning of one to three motifs for excessive track lengths.

Here's a middle of the road TW1 piece. A nice track, but one that rarely gets brought up when discussing favorites or quality.
Now we'll do an experiment with it. Starting around 1 minute give or take 20 seconds, listen for a moment and then skip one minute ahead from the point you started. Continue to do this until the track runs out. What you'll notice is different music each time you skip. The ideas change, the emotions change.

Now try it for Forefather's Eve above. You'll notice a woman chanting "Hun-un-nun-ah-nah-hey-lah-nah" over and over and over again, occasionally being delayed by guttural noises and a bit of percussion for an extra 30 seconds or so for 15 minutes straight.

The battle music in Witcher 3 surpasses the battle music of Witcher 1, but that's it. The atmospheric tracks are superior in the first game.
I don't know man. A lot of the combat tracks from TW1 are ace. Unusual in their rock/metal way, but strangely fitting.
The Salamandra battle theme with the bagpipes is my favorite among them.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The battle music in Witcher 3 surpasses the battle music of Witcher 1, but that's it. The atmospheric tracks are superior in the first game.
I don't know man. A lot of the combat tracks from TW1 are ace. Unusual in their rock/metal way, but strangely fitting.
The Salamandra battle theme with the bagpipes is my favorite among them.
The first of these 4?

Yes, it is very good. All of them are.

But I meant something along the lines of the golem boss fight:

Or the Order battle themes:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom