Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Alex

Arcane
Arcanum's spells seem to have been copypasted from GURPS, actually.
I don't have experience with GURPS, but it's pretty ridiculous for someone to claim that Arcanum is unoriginal because it's copying its spells from somewhere else.

Ok. I don't really mind if PoE copied D&D, actually. All I have seen of it, though, seemed to have a very heavy D&D 3e vibe. Kinda wish they had copied the game system while they were at it. By the way, Arcanum would probably have been better if they had actually copied GURPS, or at least modified it.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
A lot of the overall feel and bestiary of the setting is just straight off ripoff from D&D. At this point it isn't just "we were inspired by d&d" but "we're taking d&d and adding funny names and quirks".
Yeah, yeah. They copied D&D bestiary and it's an appallingly horrible thing to do - now you just need to explain why. Creativity for the sake of creativity is great in theory but IRL projects have deadlines and limited budgets. Of course anti-ripoff crusaders tend to ignore such trivialities... Of course, your sentiments would be less misplaced here if Obsidian actually promised to make a completely new setting/ruleset. We all know it's not the case. PoE is already quite different from IE games - why should it be even more different?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
AwesomeButton said:
You aren't saying that any game that has Fireball or "a spell that features a lighting bolt that jumps from one character to another and causes lighting damage" is plagiarizing D&D, right?

No, I'm saying that they changed the names so they didn't run the risk of plagiarizing D&D. WotC wouldn't be above suing them over some spell names TBH.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
It's about time someone gave us another RPG with a D&D style bestiary. It's not like we've been oversaturated with those lately

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, where else could one encounter such original creatures like trolls, kobolds and dragons?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So are you guise getting upset because Obsidian is delivering what people paid them $4 million to deliver? :cool:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So are you guise getting upset because Obsidian is delivering what people paid them $4 million to deliver? :cool:
Hah! The bestiary was the one thing they could fuck around with as much as possible, honestly. Who would have cared? If anything, it would have been positive.

Instead they fuck around with the core framework :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hah! The bestiary was the one thing they could fuck around with as much as possible, honestly. Who would have cared? If anything, it would have been positive.

I don't think so. They pitched this as trad-fant because that's what the people want. Providing nothing but non-trad creatures would make it less appealing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IMO what's important is that the monsters tie in well with the setting, and I can't judge that yet (or at least I don't want to open BB areas which I shouldn't see in the BB and spoil my final game).

Duraframe300

Arcane
IMO what's important is that the monsters tie in well with the setting, and I can't judge that yet (or at least I don't want to open BB areas which I shouldn't see in the BB and spoil my final game).

Relevant update

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/6...y-in-the-life-companion-goals-and-the-undead/
Here, Have Some Lore

Compensation for being subjected to the rest of this update.

All my best ideas are stolen. This one I ripped off from our lead level designer, Bobby Null. It is about the undead.

Male and female darguls.

One of the strengths of the Eternity setting, in my opinion, is its ability to put a new spin on the familiar. Let's be honest, you've seen undead before in a video game or two. I bet you've had a virtual conflict with a skeleton or perhaps even a zombie. But no matter how many times we see them, they're fantasy RPG staples - it'd be weird not to have them, and many people would really miss them were they omitted.

So we did some thinking as to how we could have undead but have them be our own special brand of undead that makes sense in this world.

This is How Undead Work

Let's say you are a wealthy noble who would like to cheat death. There are a variety of options at your disposal, but this offer from a shady animancer sounds the most painless. All he is going to do is bind your soul to your body, so that way when you die, your soul stays put and you still retain all your motor control.

Sign me up, you say. Suck on this, death! The animancer sets up some bizarre tools and machines, has you hold onto some copper wires, and before you know it the whole thing is over. He leaves and takes his fee. A few years later you die in a horrific skiing accident. Not to worry! Your soul isn't going anywhere. You are living large, my friend. But here's the thing. Your soul isn't going anywhere, but your body is. It starts to decompose. Slowly at first. A maggot here, a maggot there. And you are starting to get weird cravings, kind of like a pregnant woman, but instead of peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, you could really go for some human flesh.

So you eat some guys. And lo and behold, the decomposition stops! You're cured! Except that after a while, you start to rot again. Over time, you find that eating folks and absorbing the essence from their flesh is the only way to stop decomposition. But after a while you run out of neighbor kids and it gets harder and harder to track down a meal. Flesh is dropping off in chunks. And it feels like your IQ has fallen a few points, like that time you used to live next to that industrial solvent factory. In time, your mind goes as well as your body. You become feral, then near-vegetative, then purely mechanical - your body nothing more than a fleshless marionette.

Revenant bestiary concepts.

What you have just done is experienced the full continuum of undeath. Corporeal undead in this world all suffer from the same malady, and are merely in different stages of decomposition. How do you get this condition? It's usually something that you would get by commissioning an unscrupulous animancer to help you live forever, or by volunteering for a "harmless clinical trial." These ladies and gentlemen have been studying a certain banned piece of literature known as the Theorems of Padgram and are trying to develop a true path to immortality. But there are supposedly other ways - certain alchemical tinctures, ancient architecturally-embedded machinery, self-pleasure (according to some disapproving Dyrwoodan moms), etc.

• You start as a fampyr. (And these names are not different-for-the-sake-of-different - they're just following location-appropriate linguistic rules.) By appearances, you're basically a normal person who is going through a bit of a cannibal phase.
  • Allow yourself to decompose for a while, and you start to lose control of your urges, and your memory begins to slip away. Your self-consciousness is flimsy. You are now what's called a dargul.
  • Much more decomposition, and you become bestial. Your hair is gone (if it wasn't already), the flesh sags on your bones, and you live only to feed your hunger. You are a gul, but you don't give it much thought at this point. You just think you are hungry.
  • Then your mind gets really pretty thoroughly rotted, like what happens if you play a lot of FPSes, and you're only running at the basest level of instinct. You have no memory. You, my friend, are a revenant, and you are not very fun at parties.
  • After the last bit of flesh falls away, and the last mildly complicated neural synaptic path fires for the final time, you're running on pure reflex. You're not even hungry anymore (no stomach!). Your body is a murderous automaton. You are a skeleton, and your next step is dust.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've read that update, and I found it cool. BTW "fampir" is the Romanian pronunciation and writing of the word. Apparently they substituted the "i" for a "y", probably to sound more 'fantasy' and to ensure it wouldn't seem too weird to English speakers.

One of the strengths of the Eternity setting, in my opinion, is its ability to put a new spin on the familiar.
That's perfectly fine with me from what I've seen. I even find it fun to try to analyze where something was taken from. It's like studying variations of folklore throughout different traditions.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Nalia in BGII was the Lady Foreshadow of all SJWs in videogames, and also makes BGII more SJW than PoE will ever be :P

nalia.jpg

BTW, can I get a campaign tag for PoE too, or I've missed that train?

bloodlover

Arcane
I think most people expect random fantasy cliches in games. Regardless of what twist you give to the creatures, a zombie will be a zombie or a troll will be a troll, especially since this is a high fantasy game.

I've read that update, and I found it cool. BTW "fampir" is the Romanian pronunciation and writing of the word. Apparently they substituted the "i" for a "y", probably to sound more 'fantasy' and to ensure it wouldn't seem too weird to English speakers.

Actually in Romanian it's vampir. It's also a common creature in the folklore of many peoples so again, not really original.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think most people expect random fantasy cliches in games. Regardless of what twist you give to the creatures, a zombie will be a zombie or a troll will be a troll, especially since this is a high fantasy game.

Actually in Romanian it's vampir. It's also a common creature in the folklore of many peoples so again, not really original.
Yeah, my bad, I didn't check it.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My issue with the copy-paste of wizard spells stems from my disappointment with the wizard itself. The class really feels like it was last on the development list, and they didn't have enough time to make it unqiue so they copied it from D&D and took out all the stuff that would overlap with the chanter and cipher. A great injustice has been done to the wizard, whether through laziness, time constraints, and/or just feeling uninspired. I don't really care about the why, because just thinking about the PoE wizard class makes me feel dangerously bored.

Infinitron Maybe you should start scolding Sensuki for luring us Obsidian forum guys over here? Regardless you're stuck with us like a cockroach infestation.

AwesomeButton

Patron
My issue with the copy-paste of wizard spells stems from my disappointment with the wizard itself. The class really feels like it was last on the development list, and they didn't have enough time to make it unqiue so they copied it from D&D and took out all the stuff that would overlap with the chanter and cipher. A great injustice has been done to the wizard, whether through laziness, time constraints, and/or just feeling uninspired. I don't really care about the why, because just thinking about the PoE wizard class makes me feel dangerously bored.

Infinitron Maybe you should start scolding Sensuki for luring us Obsidian forum guys over here? Regardless you're stuck with us like a cockroach infestation.
The wizard was only credited as being really cool in BGII, from what I've seen. But PoE is 1) very unbalanced when it comes to combat 2) a game for low-level characters anyway, unlike BGII. It's a bit overly optimistic to expect them to get it right the first time, although I'm similiarly frustrated at the fact that they are rushing out the game while it obviously needs at least a few months of beta-release loops to be much more enjoyable for players of all classes. The latest Backer Beta release version number is as small as 435, and the release is in about a month. What does that tell you - they'll slap a "1.0" to a build 800-something, because they've ran out of time :) And the problems are not only with the wizard, take the druid or the ranger for example. They'll get things right eventually but by then how many people would be ready to start over a new game, just to play it with a balanced ruleset?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The wizard was only credited as being really cool in BGII, from what I've seen.
That's how wizards worked in AD&D - they were anything but spectacular at low levels.

But PoE is 1) very unbalanced when it comes to combat 2) a game for low-level characters anyway, unlike BGII. It's a bit overly optimistic to expect them to get it right the first time, although I'm similiarly frustrated at the fact that they are rushing out the game while it obviously needs at least a few months of beta-release loops to be much more enjoyable for players of all classes.
But BG1 wizards were still more versatile - even before TotSC. I posted a quick comparison in the wizard thread on Obsidian forums not long ago. Short story: in PoE pretty much all utility spells are either given to other classes or simply missing. OK, I can live with it (begrudgingly). The question is what they're going to add to the spells list in the upcoming expansion and later in PoE2.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Do you have any evidence to support that claim??? Or simply because YOU dont like the bestiary means that everyone else should dislike it??

Damn!! I dont understand this thread!! When the first screenshots came out everyone was like OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money, can not wait!!!! And then suddenly OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Do you have any evidence to support that claim??? Or simply because YOU dont like the bestiary means that everyone else should dislike it??

Damn!! I dont understand this thread!! When the first screenshots came out everyone was like OMG OMG OMG it looks just like the IE classics, shut up and take my money, can not wait!!!! And then suddenly OMG it looks just like IE classics, gonna be shit.

The hate mob is divided into 2 groups:

People who despise / don't like generic fantasy with elves and orcs. Well, I think it was obvious from the beginning that PoE was going to be taking part in a generic fantasy world. Not an issue for me.

Some have problems with the mechanics and feels of the combat. This became apparent when beta was released and people tried it.

Or some are just bored and like to bitch about "minor" stuff.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

It has always looked like an IE classic, but then people played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom