Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Recent RPGs Did You Buy?

RPGs Bought

• Age of Decadence

• Banner Saga

• Black Guards

• Dark Souls 2

• Dragon Age: Inquisition

• Dead State

• Diablo 3

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Legends of Eisenwald

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X

• Neo Scavenger

• Pillars of Eternity

• Serpent in the Staglands

• Shadowrun (Returns, Dragonfall or both)

• Underrail

• Wasteland 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 7219

Pillars of Eternity, on GOG, just yesterday :)

Anyone know if GOG give more of a cut to the developer/publisher than Steam?

I'm hoping PoE sells well, I reckon that with Obsidian being the owners of the IP they have a pretty good deal with Paradox regarding the royalties.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone know if GOG give more of a cut to the developer/publisher than Steam?

I'm hoping PoE sells well, I reckon that with Obsidian being the owners of the IP they have a pretty good deal with Paradox regarding the royalties.
I think they're identical. Store takes 30%.

Sothpaw

Learned
Bought every one on that list except for Blackguards, Banner Saga, Eisenwald and Dead State.

The only one I regret buying is DAI.

Bought all of 'em, except Diablo 3 and Might and Magic X. But that was before our currency woes. Now though...
UIWXBQU.gif

Xorazm

Cipher
Turns out I've bought and played at least a chunk of just about everything on that list that isn't early access.

Aarklash: Legacy - This must have come out in the wrong year or something because I'm surprised that there's not more fondness on the Codex for it, particularly given the warmth that surrounds Blackguards. It's not as deep as Blackguards by any means but it's still a meaty, challenging tactical RPG. I'm surprised that it didn't get at least a shoutout on the RPG Codex Steam Curator list, especially since Frayed Knights made the cut.

So it's actually good? I stayed away from it because Confrontation, set in the same setting of Aarklash and which seems to play very similarly from what I've seen comparing the two, kinda made me want to kill someone considering the way it ranged from horrible to tolerable at best.

Never even heard of Confrontation, but man look at these Steam reviews, just thumbs down as far as the eye can see:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204560/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Having only just learned of Confrontation moments ago, I can say with the utmost confidence that Aarklash Legacy is better. That, of course, in no way means that it's great, but I picked it up for three dollars and have been very satisfied. After a very gentle tutorial the difficulty spikes quite a bit, which required a bit of alt-tabbing to investigate guides and explanations in order to get a better handle on the systems, but once grasped the game revealed itself as more challenge than tedium.

I think if it pops up on sale I think it's definitely worth a look.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Bought pretty much all of them. Completed divinity, wasteland, shadowrun (both), diablo, banner saga. Waiting to PROPERLY play POE, AOD, grim dawn and underrail. Couldnt be bothered or was too disappointed to complete dead state, dragon age, black guards, lords of xulima, neo scavanger. All and all 2014 was a really good year for RPGs but it is 2015 that will bring back the golden era.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
Got Blackguards as a covermount on "Computer Bild Spiele" last month for a bit under 5 € - once again a decent game, resource management is important. The Game is ok, the battles are hard but some design-decisions are very "gamey". I'm glad I haven't bought it for full price.
:3/5:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Everything except Dark Souls 2, DA:I, Diablo 3, and Legends of Eisenwald. I should really buy LoE, but I haven't yet.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never even heard of Confrontation, but man look at these Steam reviews, just thumbs down as far as the eye can see:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204560/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Having only just learned of Confrontation moments ago, I can say with the utmost confidence that Aarklash Legacy is better. That, of course, in no way means that it's great, but I picked it up for three dollars and have been very satisfied. After a very gentle tutorial the difficulty spikes quite a bit, which required a bit of alt-tabbing to investigate guides and explanations in order to get a better handle on the systems, but once grasped the game revealed itself as more challenge than tedium.

I think if it pops up on sale I think it's definitely worth a look.

Confrontation for what little I played of it was rather bland. Nothing very special.
That said I keep hearing good things about Aarklash.

Skunkpew

Augur
Out of curiosity, for the people who bought WL2 and not PoE, did you contribute to the WL2 ks or did you buy it retail? If you contributed to the WL2 ks and not PoE, why?

The question is a few months old, but I contributed to the WL2 ks and not PoE because I reached a point where I spent about $500 on ks and I ultimately decided to pull back completely. It's not a ton of money, but I don't have the funds to support an endless wave of hype and dreams. I've chosen to buy things as they come out now and support them that way, when I can see if the game is actually good or not. (Although I did slip, and support Torment and probably some others after.)

After all, I still haven't played most of the things I backed (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Dead State, Xenonauts, Quest for Infamy, Knock-Knock, Kenetic Void, etc.) so why back them when I can purchase them later if I'm still interested.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought:

Banner Saga <- kickstarted
Blackguards <- bought in a bundle
Diablo 3 <- pre-ordered (regretting it to this day)
Divinity: Original Sin <- kickstarted
Legends of Eisenwald <- backed through developer's website
Might and Magic X <- bought boxed
Neo Scavenger <- got this in a bundle, not sure when
Pillars of Eternity <- kickstarted
Serpent in the Staglands <- got through codex fundraiser
Shadowrun (Returns, Dragonfall or both) <- kickstarted
Wasteland 2 <- kickstarted

---

As for the rest:

Age of Decadence <- waiting for release
Dark Souls 2 <- not interested in sequels of games I have not finished
Dragon Age: Inquisition <- not interested in sequels of games I have not finished
Dead State <- only mildly interested, I do not like zombie genre
Lords of Xulima <- only mildly interested, still looking to pick it up later
Underrail <- waiting for release

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Got everything but Inquisition, Diablo 3, Dead State, Scavenger & Serpent (and I'm actually planning to buy the latter two). But then, it's more about doing funbuildings for me and russian steam prices certainly help with buying all that crap.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Out of curiosity, for the people who bought WL2 and not PoE, did you contribute to the WL2 ks or did you buy it retail? If you contributed to the WL2 ks and not PoE, why?
I contributed to the kickstarter.

I initially contributed to the PoE kickstarter too, but I withdrew my pledge and bought Torchlight II with the money instead.
I initially pledged $20, albeit with some trepidation, as everyone at the Codex was going nuts about it, and so I waited for more information to decide whether or not I was going to keep it in or withdraw.
I cannot stand the Infinity Engine, namely thanks to that godawful RTwP clusterfuck they call "combat", and with time it became abundantly clear Obsidian intended to recreate this very experience.
So simply put, I am not a part of PoE's target audience.

Shit I've played for at least a few hours
  • Black Guards
  • Divinity Original Since
  • Shadowrun (both)
Other shit in my Steam library
  • Banner Saga
  • Legends of Eisenwald
  • Lords of Xulima
  • Wasteland 2
  • Neo Scavanger
Shit on my Steam Wishlist
  • Age of Decadence
  • Underrail
  • Dark Souls 2 (once I've sunk a reasonable amount of hours into DS1)
  • Might and Magic X (waiting for uplay to go byebye, which will never happen)
Shit I don't intend to buy
  • Diablo 3
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Dead State
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Serpent in the Staglands (did I mention I HATE RTwP?)

belated

Augur
Everything but AoD and all the Ds.

Divinity:Original Sin is just a good sale away though. Also AoD next thursday.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Still haven't played the RPGs I bought, since I can't be bothered upgrading my computer.

Atchodas

Augur
I have like 10 from the list , most of them i pirated to see if they are worth it before buying except Pillars and Underrail , one of them was agreat mistake to not pirate rofl .

I am yet to buy things like Dead State thank god i pirated it on release game was unfinished and buggy havent thought about getting it untill now

gestalt11

Arbiter

I bought both but only KS WL2. The reason for this is I only tend to KS things that I feel truly need something to get off the ground. POE was a revival of IE games, which is fine, but there exists a number of good IE games and there are a number of D&D style systems. Whereas the type of game that Wasteland was is pretty rare and the game deserved a sequel.

I am fine with both games and don't regret the money for either one, I don't suffer from RPG perfectionism. I don't think I have ever played an RPG that didn't have some real flaws in its systems. Of the recent guns based RPGs I think underrail is the only one where Assault Rifles aren't pretty much better. Shadowrun had the same problem on initial release as WL2 AR was just really damn good. Although you can crit things on demand for like 1000 damage with pistols in underrail if you build things right, sooooooo anywho.

Revenant

Misled by a coworker, bought Pillars shortly after the release and before Roxor's review was out. Have been regretting that decision ever since

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've done my fight for the cause and in the last 30 days I've bought Age of Decadence, Battle Brothers, Serpent in the Staglands, Dark Souls, D:OS, The banner saga, Grimrock 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. The first three paid at full price, and the rest at various sales. I'm ashamed to admit that I've also bought PoE (but it was only 14 euro). The GOG and now Steam sale are making me lose my mind and buy too many games.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I've done my fight for the cause and in the last 30 days I've bought Age of Decadence, Battle Brothers, Serpent in the Staglands, Dark Souls, D:OS, The banner saga, Grimrock 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. The first three paid at full price, and the rest at various sales. I'm ashamed to admit that I've also bought PoE (but it was only 14 euro). The GOG and now Steam sale are making me lose my mind and buy too many games.

I don't see why PoE would be so bad as to evoke shame. Its not Dragon Age Inquisition or Diablo 3. I think DA:I is pretty crap and I am not ashamed I bought it. I am pretty much done with Bioware games though, almost no way I buy another one. The lies and stupidity of the gaming presstitutes disgusts me but beyond that meh. Diablo 3 is the only thing I can think of that would be make me feel ashamed, but the whole situation with that game just make me want to vomit.

I can see people thinking POE is an average RPG, in that some aspects of its systems/class design are flawed and some aspect of encounter implementation and I suppose although I don't agree some people were disappointed with the stronghold (personally I like Od Nua a lot). But PoE is at worst average and IMO more like above average. People saying its crap, it just seems like hyperbole to me.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

I don't see why PoE would be so bad as to evoke shame. Its not Dragon Age Inquisition or Diablo 3. I think DA:I is pretty crap and I am not ashamed I bought it. I am pretty much done with Bioware games though, almost no way I buy another one. The lies and stupidity of the gaming presstitutes disgusts me but beyond that meh. Diablo 3 is the only thing I can think of that would be make me feel ashamed, but the whole situation with that game just make me want to vomit.

I can see people thinking POE is an average RPG, in that some aspects of its systems/class design are flawed and some aspect of encounter implementation and I suppose although I don't agree some people were disappointed with the stronghold (personally I like Od Nua a lot). But PoE is at worst average and IMO more like above average. People saying its crap, it just seems like hyperbole to me.

Darth Roxor completely ridiculous "review" presented as official RPGCodex review for over a month has negatively skewed the perception of this great game to the impressionable newbie and weak minded members of this forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom