Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Recent RPGs Did You Buy?

RPGs Bought

• Age of Decadence

• Banner Saga

• Black Guards

• Dark Souls 2

• Dragon Age: Inquisition

• Dead State

• Diablo 3

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Legends of Eisenwald

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X

• Neo Scavenger

• Pillars of Eternity

• Serpent in the Staglands

• Shadowrun (Returns, Dragonfall or both)

• Underrail

• Wasteland 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I've done my fight for the cause and in the last 30 days I've bought Age of Decadence, Battle Brothers, Serpent in the Staglands, Dark Souls, D:OS, The banner saga, Grimrock 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. The first three paid at full price, and the rest at various sales. I'm ashamed to admit that I've also bought PoE (but it was only 14 euro). The GOG and now Steam sale are making me lose my mind and buy too many games.

I don't see why PoE would be so bad as to evoke shame. Its not Dragon Age Inquisition or Diablo 3. I think DA:I is pretty crap and I am not ashamed I bought it. I am pretty much done with Bioware games though, almost no way I buy another one. The lies and stupidity of the gaming presstitutes disgusts me but beyond that meh. Diablo 3 is the only thing I can think of that would be make me feel ashamed, but the whole situation with that game just make me want to vomit.

I can see people thinking POE is an average RPG, in that some aspects of its systems/class design are flawed and some aspect of encounter implementation and I suppose although I don't agree some people were disappointed with the stronghold (personally I like Od Nua a lot). But PoE is at worst average and IMO more like above average. People saying its crap, it just seems like hyperbole to me.

Darth Roxor completely ridiculous "review" presented as official RPGCodex review for over a month has negatively skewed the perception of this great game to the impressionable newbie and weak minded members of this forum.

Hue Hue Hue

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've done my fight for the cause and in the last 30 days I've bought Age of Decadence, Battle Brothers, Serpent in the Staglands, Dark Souls, D:OS, The banner saga, Grimrock 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. The first three paid at full price, and the rest at various sales. I'm ashamed to admit that I've also bought PoE (but it was only 14 euro). The GOG and now Steam sale are making me lose my mind and buy too many games.

I don't see why PoE would be so bad as to evoke shame. Its not Dragon Age Inquisition or Diablo 3. I think DA:I is pretty crap and I am not ashamed I bought it. I am pretty much done with Bioware games though, almost no way I buy another one. The lies and stupidity of the gaming presstitutes disgusts me but beyond that meh. Diablo 3 is the only thing I can think of that would be make me feel ashamed, but the whole situation with that game just make me want to vomit.

I can see people thinking POE is an average RPG, in that some aspects of its systems/class design are flawed and some aspect of encounter implementation and I suppose although I don't agree some people were disappointed with the stronghold (personally I like Od Nua a lot). But PoE is at worst average and IMO more like above average. People saying its crap, it just seems like hyperbole to me.

Darth Roxor completely ridiculous "review" presented as official RPGCodex review for over a month has negatively skewed the perception of this great game to the impressionable newbie and weak minded members of this forum.

One bad review isn't enough to make me buy or not enjoy a game. On the other side, for most purchases I read many reviews and watch some gameplay, torrent the game and do a demo, etc. to see if it's worth the money. PoE was bought before reading many reviews since it was praised as hell and also the short time I've spent before buying made me think it's like the good old BG2. The fact that Obsidian made it also contributed to my hasty buy decision.

Darth Roxor's review was maybe a bit too extreme, but I remember reading some post on the RPGCodex to a link to the game breakdown on the RPGWatch forums were some autistic person made a very detailed breakdown of all the aspects of this game. If it's one thing that made disappointed after reading all the posts on this forum for the review, is that combat is a missed possibility. In a game were no experience is awarded for it and can't be evaded for the most part, a good decent combat engine was absolutely required. Now, all this being said, I always wait for all the bought games to release their DLC/expansions and after that I play them. Maybe one year from now, the game will be better.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I don't know where PoE was "praised as hell" as you say (maybe retarded Kotaku-like sites?), because my only connection with the world of cRPGs is through RPGCodex. In our forums, the game was trashed during the kickstarter and completely destroyed during the development and every update and Sawyer interview. Thanks in large part to retarded Roguey trolling for Sawyer and Sensuki autism on the combat details. I can't say more, because I don't read much Megathreads, because they are stupid. I read all update and interview threads though. I almost hated the game before launch, focusing on absurd things like Might affecting gun bullets and magic ciment, but decided to give it a go anyway since I had already bought it years earlier in the kickstarter.

I was completely positively surprised that the game was not only not awful, but beautiful and very entertaining, the lore and characters was great, dialogue was emotionally engaging, quests were well designed for the most part, and even some riviled plot holes (the Animancy trial) turned out to make complete sense, as I have explained in great detail at the "The writing in PoE is average" thread.

The combat was confusing to me in the beginning, so I played at Normal. Now that I finished the game for the first time, I'm playing on Hard on my paralel second and third playthroughs with completely different characters from my honest and benevolent Wild Orlan Ranger: A cruel and aggressive Aumaua Bleak Walker Paladin and a Stoic and Rational Elf Priest of Berath. As I understand more and more about the combat and see the good systems that are in place which make combat all that fun, I hope that by the time I finish my second and third simultaneous playthrough I'll have experience enough to play the game on Path of the Damned.

Any DLC/expansion (which I already bought in advanced in the kickstarter in November 2012) will be the icing on the cake.

gestalt11

Arbiter

One bad review isn't enough to make me buy or not enjoy a game. On the other side, for most purchases I read many reviews and watch some gameplay, torrent the game and do a demo, etc. to see if it's worth the money. PoE was bought before reading many reviews since it was praised as hell and also the short time I've spent before buying made me think it's like the good old BG2. The fact that Obsidian made it also contributed to my hasty buy decision.

Darth Roxor's review was maybe a bit too extreme, but I remember reading some post on the RPGCodex to a link to the game breakdown on the RPGWatch forums were some autistic person made a very detailed breakdown of all the aspects of this game. If it's one thing that made disappointed after reading all the posts on this forum for the review, is that combat is a missed possibility. In a game were no experience is awarded for it and can't be evaded for the most part, a good decent combat engine was absolutely required. Now, all this being said, I always wait for all the bought games to release their DLC/expansions and after that I play them. Maybe one year from now, the game will be better.

But that is the thing. The combat is decent. Its just not great.

I can, in great detail with maths, explain a number of cases in which the combat systems and encounters are flawed. For example the AI behind fampyrs and the poor design choices for "prayer" spell meant to "counter" things is clearly off. The fampyrs always immediately target the class meant to counter, the counters are in no way reliably or even particularly useful without like 3 other things layered on top, and you can't pre-buff anyway and fampyrs cast their spells immediately and extremely fast. Clearly this is screwed up.

But the combat is still decent. Is it perfect? No I just gave you a clearly flawed thing. Another flaw; the Chanter class does not scale. The base design simply can't scale past a certain level, it just won't work. Chanters are still perfectly playable and even enjoyable class. They would be terrible as is if they did POE 2 and had the game go to level 20. Flat out wouldn't work. Couldn't work.

Again this isn't DA:I where its literally crap. It has problems but it has a number of good parts as well. Its absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It has rough parts and also some, what I would call, mistakes systems wise. So what? Give me one good RPG that doesn't. You think I can't make radically overpowered character in Wizardry 8? Because I can, fuck yeah I can.

Is PoE great? Not in the system arena and not in the encounter arena. But both of those are decent enough to be enjoyable if you like IE type RTwP stuff. Some people may say its great in the art and story department. That is fine. I liked those I don't care to say whether they are good or great but they certainly are not bad, not in the context of video games.

I don't think the class builds are at the level of great either but they are sufficiently interesting to be worth some time. Underrrail is better at interesting build options, but that doesn't make PoE unplayable or bad or whatever.

You can certainly have some rather novel and interesting playing in POE. My first full playthrough was with a party of 4 rangers, a priest and chanter all of them specced for DPS and interrupt. No tank character, not even a real magey type. I had the animal companions tank everything. It was interesting and challenging to clear the ogre level of Od Nua at level 4-5.

If someone picks up PoE and tries and goes "You know what this just isn't my cup of tea". Hey that's cool, I feel that way about Blackguards 2, it just doesn't grab me in any real way. But shame? This is just not in any way accurate.

Supernomz

Literate
I picked up SR: Returns, SR: DragonFall, and Wasteland 2 through the Steam Sale.

Returns was longer then what I expected, however somewhat easy. My Orc was tanky and skilled at assault rifles, which turned out to be pretty powerful. Very enjoyable, if a tad easy. I plan on starting Dragonfall Friday afternoon, which I am pretty stoked for.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Bought:
Underrail (very good/great, played a bit, liked a lot, waiting for 1.0).
Shadowrun (both, only played Dragonfall, still not finished but ok/good crpg).
Might and Magic X (same as Dragonfall, ok/good, haven't finished it).

I will buy soon:
Age of Decadence
Serpent in the Staglands

Will buy at some point (maybe):
Lords of Xulima
Neo Scavenger
Dead State

Others i removed from inventory or ignored.

The only thing i regret buying (backing) is Wasteland 2. I hate it even more than vanilla Shadowrun. PoE was meh, but not as shit as the first two i mentioned.

The rest were well worth the money and time spent on them: SitS, D:OS, Dragonfall, Neo Scavenger, Lords of Xulima. Even though i bought Underrail quite some time ago, i'm still holding off till release, it gets harder every day though.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have boxed versions of Lords of Xulima and Wasteland 2 (regret), with a Pillars of Eternity (might regret) box on the way.

I bought digitally: Serpent in the Staglands, Divinity: Original Sin, Neo Scavenger, Dragonfall & Returns, Underrail, Banner Saga, Might and Magic X and Dead State (regret). I'm holding off on Eisenwald until I see a full review or something of the sort.

Zeronet

Learned
RPGs recently bought or released from kickstarter would be Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, Shadowrun's, WL2, Dead State, listed in order of incline.
:troll:

Oh and Dragon Age Inquisition and Serpent in the Staglands. DAI isn't incline, but was amusing enough for what i paid for it and i haven't played SitS yet.

Viata

Arcane
Bought during this sale:
- Age of Decadence
- Banner Saga
- Blackguards 1 and 2
- Lords of Xulima
- Serpent in the Staglands
- Shadowrun Dragonfall

Though I can't see myself playing them anytime sooner. I may try AoD as it's still early access.

vampiregrave

Educated
Considering the titles currently listed:

Banner Saga
Diablo 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun (both)
Underrail

I regret buying Diablo 3, the others were well worth the money (still waiting for Underrail's final release to play for more than a couple of hours).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
On the GOG sale:

Wizardry 6&7 (I was an Ultima stalwart at the time who considered Wizardry beneath me, so I thought it's about time I played them).
Wizardry 8 (Cleve made me curious)
Ultima 1, 2, & 3 (Ultima 3 was my first, back in the mists of time).
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 (I remember 2 as being one of the greatest all round gaming experiences (story, atmosphere, gameplay) ever).
Ultima 8 & 9 (for larks and jolly japes and because they were only £1 or so each. Tragic considering my comments on Wizardry).

Seems like I have grown old in the last couple of days... :eek: I did buy Serpent in the Staglands recently, so I'm not entirely stuck in the 20th century. Hang on, is this thread titled Recent RPGS? Okay, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
On the GOG sale:

Wizardry 6&7 (I was an Ultima stalwart at the time who considered Wizardry beneath me, so I thought it's about time I played them).
Wizardry 8 (Cleve made me curious)

The whole Wizardry Saga of 6/7/8 is fantastic (and you can import all your charters from 6 to 7 and to 8). If you do have them time, do play all 3. But you might need to take a break between them. And don't forget to get the ring in 6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom