Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
ArthurianLegendsEQvu.png
ArthurianLegends5hUP.png

Just completed Arthurian Legends. Didn't encounter any of the technical issues people were complaining about, except that one time my quicksave got corrupted during the penultimate level. I got really lucky i guess.
Took me a 9 or so hours but i enjoyed them tremendously. Cool artstyle, very satisfying weapon swinging and levels that encourage you to explore and find secrets - what not to love here?
Also, obligatory Monty Python references
ArthurianLegendsoJ3P.png

Downloaded the demo for this, but I'm having a hard time getting the video to display right. It can be fiddly because this laptop runs at 1920x1080 resolution, but the physical screen is much smaller.

Did a little fucking around in the first level though, and it feels really good. Looks great too

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Durlag's Tower is a real ball buster.
Brutal, but really awesome. Had to reload a couple of times due to some perma deaths because of traps. Even with Imoen having high Find Traps skill, there are still some traps which you can't disarm and have to avoid entirely.
Currently at level 3 of Durlag's Tower.
Those fucking Ashirukurus with their triple backstab damage are no joke.
The Greater Wyverns are also really strong damage dealers, but you can take them out easily with some spells and if you kite them.
Just a little bit more, there's not that much left of Durlag's Tower...

Brutal, but really awesome. Had to reload a couple of times due to some perma deaths because of traps. Even with Imoen having high Find Traps skill, there are still some traps which you can't disarm and have to avoid entirely.
The Greater Wyverns are also really strong damage dealers, but you can take them out easily with some spells and if you kite them.
There are a bunch of traps that you can't disarm no matter how high your Find Traps skill is.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are a bunch of traps that you can't disarm no matter how high your Find Traps skill is.
Yeah, I completely forgot about them. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm replaying Bioforge. A game that I loved when it came out, though I didn't really understand it at the time either. It's also one of those games that just seemed to be completely forgotten by everyone (including myself). It's an "action-adventure" game, pretty story heavy with both puzzle and action elements to it. You wake up as a cyborg with no memory in an unknown facility and try to figure out what's going on.

It's pretty difficult and also really clunky to play. It's got a tank control scheme, and everything is slow as hell. The combat is pretty atrocious and kind of hilarious. Though I have to say, the way it controls really makes you feel like you're playing a heavy-ass, tormented cyborg.
The story, which I largely missed as a kid, is actually pretty cool. Most of it is told through text in your journal, or in (rather lengthy) logbooks.
Game looks pretty great for 1995.

Having fun with it.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty difficult and also really clunky to play. It's got a tank control scheme, and everything is slow as hell. The combat is pretty atrocious and kind of hilarious.

This mirrors my experience when I tried to play it a few years back and gave up,the controls and the actual gameplay was to clunky and too dated for me to enjoy it

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finally conquered Durlag's Tower.
Man, this is the perfect D&D dungeon crawling experience.
Pure oldschool awesomeness.
The Demon Knight isn't that tough, but you have to keep pressure on him. I threw it all at him while buffed out with Potion of Cloud Giant Strength, Potion of Heroism and equipped with Varscona +2, while Coran and Minsc were pelting him with arrows. He starts with a Dispel Magic, followed by Fireball and Power Word: Kill. Can be really troublesome, so you must be merciless and go all in.
The Soultaker Dagger must be taken to Ulgoth's Beard.
You all know what's gonna happen next...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Starcom: Nexus

Not a bad space exploration game so far. Unfortunately i couldn't get far as the game crushes on me after every 10-20 or so minutes.

Lunacid
LUNACIDpff1BJsKhE.jpg

Heard good things about this one. Like the presentation.
Begining feels very slow and i quickly realised i am not currently in the mood for this kind of slow pacing. Will probably give it a proper playthrough once it leaves early access.

Currently in search of a game to waste my time on.

430am

Educated
Running a couple of characters on Path of Exile, think this will be my main time waster this year considering PoE2 is coming out "soon".

How do you even die in the intro?
I don't think it's the case during the intro, but a lot of the meme endings are tied to going the "wrong way" or doing stuff that you shouldn't (self destructing while on the bunker -> you destroy the bunker and get a bad ending)
When you go throuth 9S' route, you can unlock such an ending right when you begin.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finished Namco X Capcom and am off to the next game that is the sequel called Project X Zone.

Game does a lot of things differently than its predecessor, and am not sure if its for the better or the worse. One thing that is definitely better though are the incredible well designed special attack cutscenes. Especially the sprite work is amazing. And there are so many of them. Fantastic!

The Decline

Arcane
Finished Namco X Capcom and am off to the next game that is the sequel called Project X Zone.

Game does a lot of things differently than its predecessor, and am not sure if its for the better or the worse. One thing that is definitely better though are the incredible well designed special attack cutscenes. Especially the sprite work is amazing. And there are so many of them. Fantastic!

There are also 2 side games of sorts, Super Robot Wars OG: Endless Frontier and Endless Frontier Exceed. Though they are full on JRPGs rather than tactical RPGs.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do you even die in the intro?
I don't think it's the case during the intro, but a lot of the meme endings are tied to going the "wrong way" or doing stuff that you shouldn't (self destructing while on the bunker -> you destroy the bunker and get a bad ending)
When you go throuth 9S' route, you can unlock such an ending right when you begin.
The intro is hard as balls on Hard. IIRC I gave up and switched to Normal, which turned out to be a joke in comparison. Automata's difficulty settings are stupid.

*my player tackles an opponent, leaving him cripped in the ground and get a yellow card, prompting me to sub him off"
Sensi's commentator: "nah but the lad done good!"

That I agree with, my man.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm replaying Bioforge. A game that I loved when it came out, though I didn't really understand it at the time either. It's also one of those games that just seemed to be completely forgotten by everyone (including myself). It's an "action-adventure" game, pretty story heavy with both puzzle and action elements to it. You wake up as a cyborg with no memory in an unknown facility and try to figure out what's going on.

It's pretty difficult and also really clunky to play. It's got a tank control scheme, and everything is slow as hell. The combat is pretty atrocious and kind of hilarious. Though I have to say, the way it controls really makes you feel like you're playing a heavy-ass, tormented cyborg.
The story, which I largely missed as a kid, is actually pretty cool. Most of it is told through text in your journal, or in (rather lengthy) logbooks.

Having fun with it.
Finished this, for the first time ever (that I can remember anyway).

Honestly, it's a pain in the ass to play. The game's clunkiness starts to really grate on you after a while.

Can't help but like it though. There's actually quite a bit of background lore to be found, about the world it all takes place in. I didn't remember that at all from when I played it as a kid, makes me kinda sad that the game and the universe was pretty much forgotten. It was also a pretty satisfying thing to find out your character's real identity though it's not really presented as a "wow moment" in the game.

Glad to have finished it but yeah, it's not exactly great to play.

As a sidenote, it's kinda funny how you remember sort of random things from playing as a kid though. I remembered the fork guy a the start of the game (who you beat to death using his own arm, while your character basically says "I don't want to hurt you", gold). I remembered the segments where you remote control robots. I remembered the weird melee combat system (you can actually roundhouse kick) and the fact that you really see the damage on the main character if you get damaged. And I still remembered some odd soundbytes here and there.

An interesting, but frustrating, game that does some pretty cool things and was highly impressive for the time it came out.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
I'm playing the old star wars game and that MMORPG, eventually I'll finish the expansions then I... probably try Kotor 1 with some mods.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, the nutcase cultists managed to break the Soultaker Dagger and summon a Nabassu by the name of Aec'Letec. Immediately after you reach Ulgoth's Beard with the dagger in hand, you will be accosted by some cultists. Watch out for the two assassins who will go for backstabs. Due to my really high Armor Class, I was able to tank the cultists pretty easily. Throwed in a Slow spell on them and it was easy as pie.
Aec'Letec has a special ability called "Death Gaze". All Nabassu's have it, as per AD&D rules. On a failed Save vs. Death, you get paralyzed and after a couple of rounds, you (or your companions) die permanently and get transformed into ghouls under the control of Aec'Letec. I could swear that Potions of Mirrored Eyes used to protect you against this ability, but that wasn't the case. I had to do it the hard way. Destroy the cultists surrounding Aec'Letec, or else he will reincarnate himself from each of their bodies and you will have to fight him all over again. Summons, use as many summoned monsters as you can (to distract Aec'Letec, if nothing else). Dispel Magic and Arrows of Dispelling are absolute musts during this fight (to dispel the effect of Death Gaze from your party members).

Last edited:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Having fun with it.
Great game. It's unfortunately indeed really bogged down by its very bad controls.

If they could have remade this with some quality of life improvements, and smoother controls and movement, it would have been a classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom