Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Still Diablo 2, fucking around in Nightmare with my Barbarian. Curse the day I decided to pick up Diablo 1 ~2months ago. It's been way too much time wasted for a game that is not worth it.

I am starting to enjoy it now, which is scary.

Finished Namco X Capcom and am off to the next game that is the sequel called Project X Zone.

Game does a lot of things differently than its predecessor, and am not sure if its for the better or the worse. One thing that is definitely better though are the incredible well designed special attack cutscenes. Especially the sprite work is amazing. And there are so many of them. Fantastic!

I liked Project X Zone 2, but the only way I could squeeze any difficulty out of it was by denying myself any item use whatsoever and relying on my party for heals, etc.

Still gets very, *very* repetitive. But it's fun to squeeze out combo optimization and timing for each duo a la Valkyrie Profile.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finished Namco X Capcom and am off to the next game that is the sequel called Project X Zone.

Game does a lot of things differently than its predecessor, and am not sure if its for the better or the worse. One thing that is definitely better though are the incredible well designed special attack cutscenes. Especially the sprite work is amazing. And there are so many of them. Fantastic!

I liked Project X Zone 2, but the only way I could squeeze any difficulty out of it was by denying myself any item use whatsoever and relying on my party for heals, etc.

Still gets very, *very* repetitive. But it's fun to squeeze out combo optimization and timing for each duo a la Valkyrie Profile.

Do the challenges offer different kind of goals, or is it just more of "Kill 100 enemies on screen"? And did you only play PxZ2?

Oh man it's been years and years and years
rating_oldman.png

I don't recall any mission having an objective outside of 'kill all enemies' or 'kill the boss'. I have a hard time even classifying it as a SRPG as there little to not strategy to be found. The enemies just don't push back enough to be a real threat.

BUT it's enjoyable as a fanservice vehicle, the crossovers and roster is just a lot of fun. I would be hard pressed to call the turn-by-turn combat anything more than clearing an endless stream of trash mobs. As someone who plays his share of fighting games and is no stranger to spending time in the training room, punching what is essentially an army of training dummies in more flashy and optimal ways didn't bother me, but your mileage may vary. You may find yourself burned out before you complete the series.

As The Decline said, the DS game Endless Frontier... I think it was, is a proper JRPG and I remember having to actually strategize a little bit during some of its battles. Its story and characters were extremely cringe and intolerable, even by JRPG standards, but you're playing it for the fighting engine so whatever I suppose. Unfortunately that game is full of original characters, none of the guest characters, and really the whole point of Project X Zone are these fun pairings like using X and Zero or Jill and Chris Redfield with Arthur from Ghost and Goblins as an assist in an RPG.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Oh man it's been years and years and years
rating_oldman.png

I don't recall any mission having an objective outside of 'kill all enemies' or 'kill the boss'. I have a hard time even classifying it as a SRPG as there little to not strategy to be found. The enemies just don't push back enough to be a real threat.

BUT it's enjoyable as a fanservice vehicle, the crossovers and roster is just a lot of fun. I would be hard pressed to call the turn-by-turn combat anything more than clearing an endless stream of trash mobs. As someone who plays his share of fighting games and is no stranger to spending time in the training room, punching what is essentially an army of training dummies in more flashy and optimal ways didn't bother me, but your mileage may vary. You may find yourself burned out before you complete the series.
I don't have a problem with that. Just was curious to know if PxZ2 changed something of its formular, because you're basically describing PxZ here as well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wrapped up two games, yesterday.

The first one is Daggerfall Unity. There are some things that declined in future installments, but some things that are now gone, I don't mind. For example, I fast traveled everywhere. I stuck with a paladin type character for the whole game. Short swords, blunt weapons, critical strike, and restoration were my main skills. I like big dungeons, but at some points, finding your objective is a pita. I didn't care much for the story. Game looks and sounds great.

Second game is Octopath Traveler II. It took me 99 hours to platinum everything. If you liked the first game, this is more of the same. It starts out simple, but in the latter stages, you will meet some really challenging bosses. They can be easy, or absolutely destroy you. It all depends on your ability to break the game, and I love that. Balance is not your friend, here. It plays, looks, and sounds great. Writing is standard JRPG fare.

I played a little bit more of Jedi Fallen Order. I still find it to be a fun popamole metroidvania. I finally learned the identity of the imperial woman who fights you at the start is. Not sure how far into the story I have reached.

I also booted up Greedfall for the first time. It's time for some eurojank. Male/technician character. I will focus on a gun wielding De Sardet. My first impression is that it's a Spiders game. Shocking, I know. It seems straightforward enough. If you have played previous games from this studio, you know what you're getting into. I'm still early in the game, doing quests before I depart to the island. Planning on being a tyrant, for a change.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Witcher 3
Been on a downward spiral since... I dunno, some 50 hours ago. It's commendable how CDPR turned a franchise whose first game I couldn't get enough of (I remember feeling so empty after finishing TW1 because I wish I had at least another 10 hours ahead of me), to a franchise whose third game I want to be over with as soon as possible.

I'm in Skellige. At this point I'm seriously considering skipping all sidequests, going straight with the Main Quest, and call it a day. It's just not as fun as the first game. Short of graphics and animations, almost everything was changed for the worst. And by everything, I do mean everything.
  • The interface is trash. Enjoy having to browse through hundreds of notes just to find the most recent one, because CDPR apparently didn't playtest their own game to realize this is fucking essential.
  • The map is just too big and empty.
  • Quests start to feel very samey because no matter how many notes you throw the player's way, killing bandits to get a sword is still killing bandits to get a sword.
  • That Witcher Senses™ shit. And all the damn quest markers that make paying attention to what NPCs say pointless. How I miss having to pay attention to my journal in Morrowind, or else I wouldn't know what else to do. TW3 throws so many names at you during quests: all names that don't matter because a) You can't talk to those characters, b) Those characters probably don't even exist in the game world, and c) You don't even know how to find them, the quest arrow will do that for you.
  • The atmosphere is inferior. TW3 was at its best in the first part of the MQ, before reaching Novigrad.
  • The combat is trash.
  • The enemy variety is too. Most of the game was spent fighting wolves, drowners, and those tiny ogre things.
  • Empty village after empty village.
  • Watered down alchemy and oil system, but at this point I'm thankful for this because I would have 300 hours in this slogfest otherwise.
  • Leveled loot, and it always feels like the "good stuff" comes after it's no longer good.
  • Last but not least: THIS ISN'T AN RPG. It's an action-adventure with stats, you could remove the stats and the game would be better because of this.
What made the first game so good is that, apart from the swamp section, it didn't waste your time. Every quest was unique, every village/city had its purpose in both gameplay and the story. And the gameplay was perfectly tailored to the scope of the game. As usual, normies run everything.

I'm really mad with this game. How can you fuck up something SO bad?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
And despite the myriad ways in which The Witcher 3 is worse than the original, it's still superior to its immediate predecessor, Bioware Simulator 2011. :M

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Could never finish witcher 3 despite restarting 3 times. Skellige was the farthest I’ve gotten.

Best RPG ever amirite.

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. If some of you are too stupid to realize this, too damn bad.

The Witcher 3
Been on a downward spiral since... I dunno, some 50 hours ago. It's commendable how CDPR turned a franchise whose first game I couldn't get enough of (I remember feeling so empty after finishing TW1 because I wish I had at least another 10 hours ahead of me), to a franchise whose third game I want to be over with as soon as possible.

Typical Codex opinion without an ounce of thought. Just regurgitating the party line to get some brownie points.

I'm in Skellige. At this point I'm seriously considering skipping all sidequests, going straight with the Main Quest, and call it a day. It's just not as fun as the first game. Short of graphics and animations, almost everything was changed for the worst. And by everything, I do mean everything.
  • The interface is trash. Enjoy having to browse through hundreds of notes just to find the most recent one, because CDPR apparently didn't playtest their own game to realize this is fucking essential.

Eh, not like W1 interface was anything to write home about either.

• The map is just too big and empty.

Maybe for you. Most people find it very interesting and beautiful.

• Quests start to feel very samey because no matter how many notes you throw the player's way, killing bandits to get a sword is still killing bandits to get a sword.

That can be said about any RPG ever.

• That Witcher Senses™ shit. And all the damn quest markers that make paying attention to what NPCs say pointless. How I miss having to pay attention to my journal in Morrowind, or else I wouldn't know what else to do. TW3 throws so many names at you during quests: all names that don't matter because a) You can't talk to those characters, b) Those characters probably don't even exist in the game world, and c) You don't even know how to find them, the quest arrow will do that for you.

The quest compass is indeed a bane of modern games, but it sorta existed in W1 also. Otherwise, your whole opinion is stupid. Pretty much every character mentioned, you either do get to meet in W3, or met in W1/W2, or is from the Witcher general lore. It's an extremely rich setting, and everything is tied together. Maybe you are just not paying enough attention.

• The atmosphere is inferior. TW3 was at its best in the first part of the MQ, before reaching Novigrad.

Fake news.

• The combat is trash.

How are you playing it? If you play on Death March difficulty with Enemies of Rivia mod (simple combat mod that makes enemies use defensive techniques), it's one of the better, more enjoyable aRPG combat systems out there.

• The enemy variety is too. Most of the game was spent fighting wolves, drowners, and those tiny ogre things.

Again fake news. Tons of enemies throughout.

• Empty village after empty village.

With such a huge world, of course the amount of content at any given location will be smaller than in W1, where there were only like 6-7 locations in the entire game, but there is a lot of content anyway.

• Watered down alchemy and oil system, but at this point I'm thankful for this because I would have 300 hours in this slogfest otherwise.

It still comes in useful at times, for truly tough fights, and there are mods that increase this if you really want it.

• Leveled loot, and it always feels like the "good stuff" comes after it's no longer good.
  • Last but not least: THIS ISN'T AN RPG. It's an action-adventure with stats, you could remove the stats and the game would be better because of this.

Perhaps, but what does that have to do with the level of enjoyment one gets from the game?

What made the first game so good is that, apart from the swamp section, it didn't waste your time. Every quest was unique, every village/city had its purpose in both gameplay and the story. And the gameplay was perfectly tailored to the scope of the game. As usual, normies run everything.

I'm really mad with this game. How can you fuck up something SO bad?

Now you are just completely full of shit. W1 wasted your time a TON (and I like the game quite a bit). Running back and forth through drowner infested swamps, or wraith infested fields, a million times, while the enemies endlessly respawn, you don't call that a waste of time?

As much as I like W1, W3 was a huge improvement on it (and even more so on W2, the red headed stepchild). Take off the pink nostalgia glasses, and recall all the shit in W1. The horrible one way combat system. The amateurishly broken quest-lines (do stuff in wrong order, get weird results). The way you couldn't interact with the world at all, forget climbing, you couldn't even step over a 2 inch wooden platform, had to run around it. The tiny, fenced off world.

There is a reason W3 has such a positive rating on Steam and is universally beloved. Stop trying so hard to be an edgelord and enjoy a great game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Typical Codex opinion without an ounce of thought. Just regurgitating the party line to get some brownie points.

I don't give a rat's ass about what the Codex thinks about my videogame opinions.

It was far more usable than this piece of trash with a hundred tabs.

Beautiful, sure. Interesting? You would be hard pressed to find anything of note if not because of the question marks. (And those tend to be bandits or monsters guarding a chest).

Most RPGs ever don't have me waste my time galloping around the map only to be met with a generic quest.

The quest compass is indeed a bane of modern games, but it sorta existed in W1 also. Otherwise, your whole opinion is stupid. Pretty much every character mentioned, you either do get to meet in W3, or met in W1/W2, or is from the Witcher general lore. It's an extremely rich setting, and everything is tied together. Maybe you are just not paying enough attention.

You are not very good at reading, aren't you. I'm not talking about important characters, I'm taking about "characters" mentioned in notes, as if a random note found in a dead NPC will make a "dive to retrieve loot from a chest" quest any less interesting than it is.

How are you playing it? If you play on Death March difficulty with Enemies of Rivia mod (simple combat mod that makes enemies use defensive techniques), it's one of the better, more enjoyable aRPG combat systems out there.

Hard, because if I wanted fights to be over in an instant, I would play a true action game.

You are shitting me, right? Not only is the variety low, but also fights against most enemies play out exactly the same. This is unsurprising given how little arsenal you have at your disposal, but moreover, because of how bad an action game The Witcher III is.

It still comes in useful at times, for truly tough fights, and there are mods that increase this if you really want it.

Mods don't count.

Perhaps, but what does that have to do with the level of enjoyment one gets from the game?

Getting enjoyment from loot and rewards for completing a quest is core RPG experience.

Take off the pink nostalgia glasses, and recall all the shit in W1. The horrible one way combat system.

I enjoyed the combat. And it made me feel in control of my character.

The amateurishly broken quest-lines (do stuff in wrong order, get weird results).

Just like The Witcher 3, lmao. Not to mention the journal that is either too brief in its quest descriptions, or outrights spoils the ending of a quest before you are close to it.

The way you couldn't interact with the world at all, forget climbing

Things I would never miss from The Witcher III.

There is a reason W3 has such a positive rating on Steam and is universally beloved. Stop trying so hard to be an edgelord and enjoy a great game.

The same reason Skyrim is universally beloved, I'm sure.

I don't give a rat's ass about what the Codex thinks about my videogame opinions.

Doubtful considering you are pushing the standard Codex line.

It was far more usable than this piece of trash with a hundred tabs.

Which part? The 300 things with tiny icons put together into one tab?

Beautiful, sure. Interesting? You would be hard pressed to find anything of note if not because of the question marks. (And those tend to be bandits or monsters guarding a chest).

It is interesting though. Forget the question marks, everywhere you go, there is a ton of interesting shit happening. Unique monsters hidden away in caves or forests, villages with interesting shit going on, towns, cool quests in out of the way locations.

Most RPGs ever don't have me waste my time galloping around the map only to be met with a generic quest.

W3 quests are never generic, even the smallest side-quests is typically better written and presented and has more choices than main quests in a typical RPG.

You are not very good at reading, aren't you. I'm not talking about important characters, I'm taking about "characters" mentioned in notes, as if a random note found in a dead NPC will make a "dive to retrieve loot from a chest" quest any less interesting than it is.

I wasn't talking about "important" characters either. All the minor characters are full of meaning. Like the note in the Novigrad bookstore from Alvin, or meeting Thaler from W1 in an out of the way place with 2 trolls. That's why I say you are full of shit, W3 can be criticized for some stuff, but criticizing characters not being important? That's just retarded.

Hard, because if I wanted fights to be over in an instant, I would play a true action game.

Well, that's on you then. Play it on Death March with a single, simple mod, and it's a beautiful combat system.

You are shitting me, right? Not only is the variety low, but also fights against most enemies play out exactly the same. This is unsurprising given how little arsenal you have at your disposal, but moreover, because of how bad an action game The Witcher III is.

Again, this is demonstrably false. W3 has a ton of enemies, just go to Witcher wiki and look up a list of enemies, then tell me it has no variety. And your arsenal is good enough, you got strong and fast attacks, steel and silver swords, parry/counters, dodges, rolls, 5 spells, crossbow, and all the abilities you pick up from leveling up (e.g. reflecting arrows with a timed parry, etc). Not sure what you are whining about here.

Mods don't count.

Dumb position. Many of the most respected RPGs of all time are nigh unplayable without mods (Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Fallout: New Vegas, etc).

Getting enjoyment from loot and rewards for completing a quest is core RPG experience.

You are not answering my question. If you tell me a game doesn't have this thing A, and I tell you, ok, but it has B, C, D, and E, it can still be (and in this case is) a great game. Not every game will have everything.

Take off the pink nostalgia glasses, and recall all the shit in W1. The horrible one way combat system.

I enjoyed the combat. And it made me feel in control of my character.

Haha. Well, if you enjoyed W1 combat... that clarifies some of your positions.

The amateurishly broken quest-lines (do stuff in wrong order, get weird results).

Just like The Witcher 3, lmao. Not to mention the journal that is either too brief in its quest descriptions, or outrights spoils the ending of a quest before you are close to it.

Haven't seen any quests as jarringly dissonant in W3 as almost every single long quest chain in W1 was.

The way you couldn't interact with the world at all, forget climbing

Things I would never miss from The Witcher III.

Yes, ignore all the great stuff, focus on the bad. That's the way.

The same reason Skyrim is universally beloved, I'm sure.

Skyrim is admired by plebs. W3 was voted as like #15 greatest game of all time even here (despite the edgelords sperging about it). The difference is Skyrim really has nothing going for it, you cannot name a single thing it does well besides being big and open.

W3, on the other hand, has a ton of great stuff. Great writing, lore, characters, atmosphere, graphics, physics, characters, quests, combat (with one mod and correct settings). So while it does have some flaws, the overall thing is a great game.

Gamezor

Learned
Still Diablo 2, fucking around in Nightmare with my Barbarian. Curse the day I decided to pick up Diablo 1 ~2months ago. It's been way too much time wasted for a game that is not worth it.

I am starting to enjoy it now, which is scary.
Yeah I felt like nightmare is where d2 was at it’s best.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Witcher 3 had too many quests. I would walk five meters and a dwarf would shout for help, initiating yet another unless I chose to ignore him, which would have felt weird to do in a game that rewards you for doing quests and has no reason for not doing them except boredom. I did not much care for the main story on my first playthrough when the game came out, so I went into the second playthrough last year intending to do it more for the side quests. But it just became too much, and many felt too similar or basic. Quit before reaching Skellige. Days and days, maybe weeks, Geralt planned to go to Skellige, but the odd jobs kept him. People talk about the excess like it's a positive, but it's not. I'm mostly not into open world games and how western devs choose to design mission structure in them.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, also, said this in the screenshot thread, but the excessive use of journals and audio logs in modern games is so abundantly stupid. Villager had time to write all this to no one as bandits were out to kill. For what?

witcher-3.jpg

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Ace Combat. Nice music, great sense of speed in the gameplay. I haven't gotten to the games with the crazy anime plots yet, though.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Villager had time to write all this to no one as bandits were out to kill. For what?
this is especially ridiculous since CDPR's writers went out of their way to portray their peasants as illiterate backwards idiots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom