Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Betrayer is kind of fun. Like a weird combination of Skyrim, Thief and a roguelike. I mean... what? You can make it look pretty normal now if you want, by playing with color and contrast settings. I can't really decide how it looks best.

Watched Aliens and Alien 3 recently so thought I might try playing the last Aliens game. Quit after 45 minutes.

Reinstalled Precursors but I'll wait until I finish replaying Bloodlines, which I'm halfway through. Playing a pure firearms character is a pain in the ass.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Steam achievements seem to be broken.
I got the first five, but after that the game stopped registering them.
Even the story ones that come from beating the bosses.

But I don't :P really care...
I think that there was some bug in the game that caused Steam achievements to break when there was a CtD. You can fix it by restarting Steam.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Just started playing Arx Fatalis because it looked interesting and I saw it being mentioned in this thread several times now. I'm actually quite surprised with the level of awesomeness so far. Outstanding atmosphere, cool magic system. Sadly, I've never played Ultima Underworlds, so I'm probably looking at it differently than most of you.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Inspired by Azira LP I'm playing UFO trilogy from russians - Altar. Now - Aftershock, in the half, after wargoth* invasion.
Most people think that games from care cold bears are difficult. I mean - insanely. Even on Easy. And they promote savescumming.
Luckly UFO: Afterwhatever have balanced one. Easy require some stupid actions to loose like slashing armored goons with knives.

*Wargot? I mean - space mercenaries from GIANTS: Citizen Kabuto speaking gibberish that come to Earth on Space Walnut.
And they're yellow, like walnut.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Oh man you're in for a ride with Arx Fatalis. It's a rather poorly balanced RPG with some useless stats and perks, but it's all forgiven with the amazing atmosphere that's almost as thick as Thief's, the original magic system and the fun enemies. You should try Ultima Underworld next, since Arx is a spiritual successor.
For my part I've been messing around with Disciples: Sacred Lands. Loving it so far.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh man you're in for a ride with Arx Fatalis. It's a rather poorly balanced RPG with some useless stats and perks, but it's all forgiven with the amazing atmosphere that's almost as thick as Thief's, the original magic system and the fun enemies. You should try Ultima Underworld next, since Arx is a spiritual successor.
For my part I've been messing around with Disciples: Sacred Lands. Loving it so far.
I loved and hated Arx Fatalis at same time, if , at least, the melee combat was good. What I really want is Arx Fatalis with Dark Messiah combat.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Arx Fatalis is lots of fun! It's a shame that it was obviously rushed, but I can look past most of its faults since no-one really makes games like that any more.

Fart Master

Savant
Started getting into M&M3 a bit more (my first M&M game.)

Do the base weapon types have any difference other than damage values? (Speed or something)

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Finished Blood Dragon yesterday. Fun game despite all the crap that can be atributed to modern game design (too short/easy, regenerating health, lousy turret section instead of a challenging bossfight etc). The gameplay is nothing special, typical FPP shootout, at least it has some exploration and there is no annoying cinematic stuff, just good ol' mindless killin'. I love the faux-80's atmosphere, the music, evil cyborgs in motorcycle helmets, laser weapons - that's really cool but i think they went way overboard with the humour, it seems like the game is trying too hard too be funny and "hip" (referencing old movies and shitty internet memes all the time so hipster nerds can have their "nerdgasms"). I think Blood Dragon woud be much cooler if the devs took a more serious approach, making it feel like a genuine 80's B-movie instead of a wacky parody of one.

circ

Arcane
TRYING to play Lara Croft Guardian of Light. But the CONTROLS OH MY GARD. YOU KNOW I USED TO THINK DS3 HAD THE WORST CONTROLS EVER DEVISED BY RETARDS. BUT NO. THIS IS IT.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wish I could back to Arx in Libertatis version but after beating original 3 times and doing everything - nope.
Wonder if casting finally work, it's propably not designed for new PCs, with laser mouses and high resolutions...
Tried once with old classic mouse (ball) and work pefect.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The Arx casting system is designed for smaller resolutions - so the trick, at least for me, was to draw the spells relatively small.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Finished Call of Pripyat. Enjoyable, but not as good as Shadow of Chernobyl. Never played Clear Sky so no comparison to that.

In SOC, equipment progress is slow, areas are big, and powerful mutants appear less but are more lethal, so it's a very satisfying experience from the beginning till the end. I remember at the beginning of SOC, I would be happy to get my hands on progressively better weapons, from the "finally I can get rid of my pistol" mp5, AKS74U, to the "finally I can properly shoot stuff at 100 meter" AK74 and LR 300. By end game when I got SVD, G36 and F2000, despite them being perfectly real weapons, my joy was no less than finding a BFG.

In COP, it seems that good weapons are EVERYWHERE. My starting AKS74U hardly fired a shot until I've picked up the AK74. Then I got an automatic shotgun as a reward. After a couple more missions I commissioned Nimble to get me an assault weapon for 20,000 RU and he gave me a freaking F2000. By that time I was also rich enough to commission an exoskeleton but I didn't bother it. By the time I've reached Yanov I've got a copy of almost every weapon except for an SVD and gauss rifle, and hundreds of all kinds of ammo. The only thing later that fundamentally shows equipment progress was the gauss rifle, but even then I didn't use it much except for killing fucking psychic dwarves and in the final mission. The other times I carried the most powerful shotgun - which was a quest reward mid-game - to shoot mutants, and one other rifle which I choose and experimented around a lot just for fun. But for the latter, I don't think it really matter a lot which rifle you choose. Because you've got the majority of weapons by 1/3 or 1/2 of the game, and combat is not as frequent nor intense (see below) than SOC, most weapons won't see a single shot of fire unless you're a fan of it already or you're just experimenting around.

Now for the area and combat. In SOC, combat is very frequent, and "hot" areas are a lot. Most major building have corridor shootouts, and places like factories have good sniping and CQB mixed in. It's also due to this, whenever you find a new weapon, it opens up a lot of possibilities and its value will be deeply appreciated. Picking up the VSS Vintorez/SVD/OTs-14 in SOC was a MAJOR accomplishment and a boost in my arsenal, as finding them means I can finally properly kill stuff over long range, or have something powerful enough to reliably kill exoskeletons within 5 shots. Combat is intensive and can be long lasting, especially in the last areas, your armor and weapons can get damaged seriously and ammo may run out fast too, forcing you to scavenge everything you can and even pick up weapons lying around to preserve your main weapon and its ammo.

But in COP, most of the areas are too small, or are big but have lots of wasted space. For example, the cement factory, the tunnel you first face a burer, the various outlying villages, and of course a lot of the buildings in Pripyat, may look interesting at first glance, some are even big and have complex internal design, but in reality have only a couple of mutants to kill and a couple of loot to grab. In the few buildings that have combat, except for a very few ones, most combat are over just way too fast. Because big, important combat are far too few in between, and good weapons are easily acquired, it doesn't make me feel any tension for being in a dangerous place.

Finally, the game's general area and quest design is quite a let down. I thought in COP I could finally have a proper Pripyat area to explore, but what I found was a Pripyat even LESS interesting than SOC's. Pripyat in SOC was at least a dangerous place to explore, with gauss rifle snipers everywhere above lightning striking above. But in COP, the city is almost devoid of interesting encounter, and even the quests are disappointing. They put in cutscenes to make the missions look serious and mysterious, but all I needed to do was to run to a building 40 seconds away, kill about 10 enemies within a couple of minutes, then back to base. At the end I haven't even explored about half of the place of interests and the game was over. Even Zaton and Yanov, the areas which are supposedly better designed than Pripyat thanks to more interesting quests and more NPC hanging around, was full of lifeless areas too. For example, Jupiter plant was huge, but the only interesting things you'll see will be a weak ambush and some dogs. And a few documents lying around which explain almost nothing interesting.

The only thing of COP I thought which did better than SOC was the environment design. The pitch black midnight was brilliant, but sadly nightvision was extremely easily acquired, and darkness have no effect at all on enemies, they're still crackshots even without NV and when I'm hiding in a bush or something. But even then, combat is, as mentioned before, laughably easy and quick to deal with, with weapons like F2000/G36 becoming available practically within a couple of hours.

Sure, the game have a freeplay mode, but for me I don't see a point running around exploring empty buildings with no lewt and no interesting fights at all.

Next stop: Space Rangers HD, which will be out tomorrow.

circ

Arcane
... and I'm now trying out Tomb Raider Underworld. Controls work. It's a little different from what I remember from TR Legend, a little WONKY. But doable. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing half the time. It's like every few rooms I'm going ok now fucking what? Unlike Tomb Raider 2013 where you just follow the quest marker LULULUL. I do miss the more gritty, realistic graphics though. But whatev. Somehow got through Thor's temple or whatever it was. Killed a giant squid. Suck it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just loaded up X3: Albion Prelude to test it out my GTX 780 (only had Terran Conflict previously), maxed out the graphics options, forced vsync through GPU drivers... and... miracle of miracles, it runs at a smooth and constant 60 FPS everywhere!

That's a definite first for the X series for me. Guess I'll be wasting time on this shit for

the next six months

SophosTheWise

Cipher
The Arx casting system is designed for smaller resolutions - so the trick, at least for me, was to draw the spells relatively small.
yeah this is invaluable

Thanks, didn't know that. I'm around six hours in now, still enjoying it immensly. Actually I can't wait to finish it to get started with Ultima Underworld. Or Ultima VII. Never got far into that one.
How long is Arx Fatalis by the way?

DeepOcean

Arcane

Took me 31 hours to complete. :)
I got to that place when you first meet some weird cultists. After your visit the Goblin kingdom and make the king have some digestive problems, I think. While I loved the atmosphere and the Ultima Underworld aspects, I ended giving up at that point because the let's poke the enemy with a sword and run back strategy worked too well and the fights got boring. How long it takes to finish the game from there?

Don Peste

Arcane

I got to that place when you first meet some weird cultists. After your visit the Goblin kingdom and make the king have some digestive problems, I think. While I loved the atmosphere and the Ultima Underworld aspects, I ended giving up at that point because the let's poke the enemy with a sword and run back strategy worked too well and the fights got boring. How long it takes to finish the game from there?
I'm stuck right there. A lich ambushes me and I haven't been able to kill it yet.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

I'm pretty much at the same place. Didn't run into the weird cultists yet. I agree with you, the combat system itself is boring, but I guess it's going to be a lot more interesting once you get a few decent spells and mainly invest in magic. I'm usually a warrior-type kind of guy, but the magic system here seems promising.

Heresiarch

Prophet

I'm stuck right there. A lich ambushes me and I haven't been able to kill it yet.

You guys have reached exactly the half of the game. BTW you don't need to kill the lich now, you can (and should) kill it later as you'll need to visit this place again.

As for how long, let's see, the remaining important places include: one major and VERY atmospheric dungeon (duh, the whole game is a dungeon anyway) to visit, a short dungeon with very interesting puzzles to solve, and an amazing level with survival horror elements (but can be VERY frustrating to play through if you don't rely on any hints at all). The final dungeon is pure hack and slash but at least it's short. In between these areas there are some parts that are ridiculously easy to get through if you're a spellcaster but almost impossible if you can't cast fireballs, or if you don't know how to find secret doors. Oh, there's also naturally a lot of running and jumping around, and a couple of zones that are pure fillers. There're also a few sidequests like the treasure hunt, but the reward of them mostly suck and are irrelevant to the end game, with the treasure hunt reward being particularly shitty for all its tediousness.

You can play the remaining parts slowly and still enjoy itself, but if you're experienced with the game, or you just want to rush through it, you can simply run through everything because while the game do have some C&C, they do not affect the final ending at all (but the consequences before the ending may irk you if you don't do it right though), and most if not all the optional treasures and stuff are completely worthless (scrolls, armor, weapons etc.). Even money isn't an issue at all, you can buy whatever you want and not care about it and in the end you still have tens of thousands of gold.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

You guys have reached exactly the half of the game. BTW you don't need to kill the lich now, you can (and should) kill it later as you'll need to visit this place again.

Really? So... when do we get more spells? I've got exactly one spell now and it's starting to get frustrating. I'm now at the start of the cultist quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom