Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I finished Heretic a couple days ago. Was fun, but not nearly as good as Doom or Doom II in my opinion. Fun level design and weapons/items, but too many HP-bloated enemies and I found the variety somewhat lacking by the endgame.

Also went back to go through Doom and Doom II, since I've never beaten either. I'm halfway into Doom EP2 right now and might be able to finish it in the next 1-2 days.

Last, bought Sword of the Stars: The Pit because it was on sale and grabbed the DLC as well. I got a review copy a while back but the game is pretty good and I don't mind paying a few bucks to support the developers. There are some interesting additions in the DLC, including new character classes and lots of new weapon types and stuff, plus a whole new psi power mechanic, so it should keep me occupied for a while.

I think I might have one last try at the NWN2 OC - I've never played MotB, as I want to finish the OC first, but all my previous attempts have, predictably, ended in ragequits.

Feel free to skip it, afaik there's no relation between the two other than "...and then you character wakes up in a strange place and sees a red wizard, lolz!"

...maybe I should follow my own advice sometimes.

My game time as of late seems to be limited 10-20 minute sessions playing my Vita while on the shitter before work. But I got a few days off and rather than do something productive with my precious time, I decided to dedicate a day or two to picking up a game with a learning curve.

I've never been able to finish a game of Master of Orion 2, so I decided to give it another go. The biggest hurdle I always had was not knowing how to build decent ships, my empire would always crumble under a random space eel or early opposing AI. So I pored over a bunch of guides, read codex threads, wikis, etc and finally finished a few games.

Have been playing with repulsive, creative, subterranean and unification until I get my bearings with the game a bit more. The consensus seems to be that spamming scouts with MIRV+fast nuclear missles gets it done in the early game and beyond that I've just made a bee-line for plasma which seems to kill most opposition instantaneously. I know I'm playing the game in probably the cheesiest way possible, but I want to understand the game and the research tree a little bit better before I start experimenting more.

I understand now why everyone loves the game. I still think Master of Magic is more fun to break, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finishing the great, great Primordia made me hunger for more point & click adventure goodness, so I'm playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. So far, pretty good.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think I might have one last try at the NWN2 OC - I've never played MotB, as I want to finish the OC first, but all my previous attempts have, predictably, ended in ragequits.
Seriously, why do you people do this to yourselves? Just skip the OC already.

baturinsky

Arcane
Far Cry 3
0b7844dad64fe7d4235dd604fc37ef9d.jpeg
+
rpg-7-launcher.gif
=
38728.jpg

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Recently finished the original Shadow Warrior due to the buzz surrounding the new one, even if it was one of the weaker Build engine games it still blew any shooters released in the past ten years or so completely out of the water. My only complaint is that the endboss felt sort of weak.

After reading recommendations in the storyfag thread I have just gotten started playing the GoT RPG thingy. Not quite sure what to make of it yet, but I like Mors. The combat is deeper than I expected since it resembled a H&S from screens though pretty shitty nonetheless, I have a feeling I would enjoy the EoB NwN module that's in my backlog much more but I want to know what happens next so I guess the game does something right. Also replaying FEAR, which still looks gorgeous after all this time. The levels could use some variety and I really don't give a crap about the horror elements but it's forgiveable when you've got good AI, gunplay that feels great and slow-motion action as pretty as this.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Having a good streak of luck with my Skaven team, TV of 1830 with no injuries. A dwarf team just abandoned the match at the start because in 3 plays I injured 2 of his guys and scored. None of my guys have mighty blow, except the rat ogre and he didn't do the injuries.

Fucking pussy bash teams that quit when they aren't injuring the opposition. Blood Bowl would be better off without them. :rage:

EDIT: the dwarf team had mighty blow on all of the guys who can get it. faggots

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Replaying Ultima Underworld again. I just found out it was possible to configure the mouse sensitivity in the GOG release, so now I can play it normally.

DeepOcean

Arcane
RFemboB.jpg

First world problems! :P
Dont do that to yourself. I was once as young and naive as you and managed to get to act III before the dullness managed to suck all my will to play Neverwinter Nights at all, thats why I couldnt even play MOTB after it.
Act III was one of the most boring experiences I ever had. It was as if Obsidian decided: "How can we make this the most boring experience a RPG player ever had, so they miss Black Isle and Troika." It was terrible, I Always wondered what would had happen if the Project was responsability of George Ziets since day one. Because, MOTB is awesome.

Finished my, I think, third full playthrough of System Shock 2 and then decided to give Bioshock a try. Well shit, apparently "spiritual sucessor" means "fucking parody" nowadays.

Gaming industry, would you kindly stop calling corridor shooters a System Shock spiritual sucessors?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Finished my, I think, third full playthrough of System Shock 2 and then decided to give Bioshock a try. Well shit, apparently "spiritual sucessor" means "fucking parody" nowadays.

Gaming industry, would you kindly stop calling corridor shooters a System Shock spiritual sucessors?
Bioshock is a paarody of System Shock 2 and Bio Infinite is a parody of Bioshock, I wonder what would be a parody of Bio Infinifty? Watch the pretty colours, the game?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Put Bloodlines replay on hold to try Final Fantasy XIV, as I wanted something I could play with half-attention while I watch great American sport playoff baseball.

Still playing Shadow Warrior.

Think I might play Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den now that it is on Steam.

Blonsky

Prophet
Just finished Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
They added new heroes but its just like they picked a native american, muslim girl and a gay poet, and gave them superpowers depending on the minority they belonge.
Shorter then the original game but still a good 1950/60. superhero comic book feel about it.

I was always disappointed that the initial concept for the Freedom Force games never came to fruition. I had read in PC Gamer years ago that the plan was to have each new game take plays in a different decade, starting with 50s comics, all the way to 90s renditions of all the characters.

Would've been awesome :thumbsup:

Recently made it through Catherine, which I picked up cheap at $15 during a sale last year. Very much a storyfag game, but I found it really charming and endearing. Your main character, Vincent Brooks has a long-time relationship with Katherine, who is overbearing and pushing him to a life of commitment and marriage. He meets a slutty, care-free woman of his dreams and cheats with this girl one evening at the bar. From then on, Vincent is cursed and sent to a nightmare world where all inhabitants are turned to sheep and forced to climb a nightmarish tower every night in his dreams. The tower climbing is a long series of block puzzles, other gameplay consists of drinking with Vincent's buddies at the bar, answering text messages from your love interests and watching cutscenes.

How you respond to other people determines Vincent's morality, as well as answering a series of questions during the dream sequences such as 'would you date your dream girl if you found out she was a robot?' or 'would you sleep with your best friends woman?'. Vincent's morality doesn't really change the events of the game, aside from some of his inner monologues and the ending sequence.

The game has a lot of style and it's worth a playthrough, imo. I especially liked the little bits of liquor trivia you're rewarded with for getting Vincent plastered:

The first time I played through, I answered the morality questions honestly, and ended up with a goody ending. To get 'true' endings, however, you have to game it, and set your morality meter to one extreme or the other. It's ultimately revealed that (ending spoilers)
Catherine, the girl Vincent unwittingly cheats with is a succubus, hence the reason she fits his profile for the perfect woman. Depending on where your morality lies and the way you answer during the final sequence determines which girl you end up and whether they reject you or not. I rather liked the Catherine ending, where Vincent becomes the Prince of Hell:
:mhd:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Started my first Arcanum playthrough last night, played for about an hour or so. Will have more time to play during the weekend :D

Gurkog

Erudite
Figured out a way to mitigate damage against basher teams in Blood Bowl...

Put my 3 most disposable units on the line

Everyone else runs away from big guys

If one of my guys is stuck near a big guy I send my Rat Ogre in to knock him out

Works ok, had 5 injuries in my last game against a basher team, but none of them were serious.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I finished System Shock 2 for the first time. For years this game crashed on every PC I had, but GOG version finally worked for me. I also solved UI issues by modifying one of the files so it would stop scaling to resolution. So, I finally got to see more of the game than tutorial area. I did not use any mods or texture packs, game seems to be quite slick looking on high resolutions already, although a bit too dark. It could use a flashlight item.
I played on Normal difficulty, chose an O.S.A agent as starting class and almost doomed myself by forcing game through Avellone Test by choosing the most dumb abilities available, like pumping Research, Hacking and picking from PSI crap like radiation shield or "force pull". I managed to fix my build when I got laser rapier, as I started to pump melee and got healing and melee damaging PSI abilities. At one moment in Engineering Bay I had 1 HP, 1 PSI and 0 nanites, almost ragequitted.

My overall impression is that, even judging it by today's standards, SS2 is an excellent game. I think Deus Ex surpassed it on many levels as an RPG, except level design and maybe mood, but it still holds up well. Deus Ex allows more variability in gameplay, has less dump skills and actually gives you choices during it's plot. Psionics in particular has a crapload of useless stuff, but some of the basic skills like Modify also are even worse than DE's swimming. However when it comes to difficulty, resource management and mood I think SS2 gets an edge.

I think System Shock 2 is miles ahead of any Bioshock game. It's so much better that it makes you think on how games can go backwards instead of working on their strengths:
- The level design of SS2 makes so much sense it hurts my head. Von Braun & Rickenbacker show that well done simulation approach to level design always trumps linear cinematic shit no matter how pretty it looks. The layout of Von Braun is so logical I rarely used a map, as in time levels of the ship just get burned into your brain. I can probably navigate MedSci deck with my eyes closed.
And it has free roaming. If you need something, you know where you want to go, and how. Neat.
- That monstrous UI with helpers, games and inbuilt research station actually fits the setting. I love how you can click on anything and learn about it's nature from another technobabble.
- The audio messages type of plot works well for the setting of SS2, where people are mostly the staff of the spaceship. People rarely throw around diaries with passwords, and if they do, there is usually a reason for that (that fucking engineering bay... fuck).
Unlike Bioshock where messages held info on some past events which had nothing to do with the game, in SS2 they feel like part of your own story, as they start to catch up with what player is doing in the game. Culminating with some very nice scenes like last escape pod leaving without you, people starting to notice your actions, ect.
- For some reason, nanites and leveling system did not bother me as much as abilities in Bioshock. Although upgrading stations are still kinda gamey.
- Unlike Bioshock, you can die, for fuck sakes. SS2 has failure states and you can even corner yourself into a no-win situation. Which makes game fucking scary and places even more emphasis on doing what you need to do efficiently and quickly.
- Yes, game with fagly 1999 enemies is scarier than a lot of stuff I have been playing to date. Darkness, sound effects, enemies doing good damage and no pause in inventory made me paranoid and nervous. I will struggle not to shoot every camera I see in RL now on sight. My first meeting with a camera in game resulted in me fighting dozen monsters with my crappy psi attack, only to run away from ten more when I figured out that I screwed up. There were countdown, alarm shouting, turrets shooting, and me jumping around aimlessly trying to save my hide. So cool.

Well I can write a lot about it. I haven't even touched on how cool it is to get experience points from silent benefactor-turning-to-be-antagonist and plot in general, and many other things like ghost sitings, or manipulative nature of Shodan and the feel of being stuck in a war between rogue AIs and crazy worms. And that game touches on some themes like fear of losing individuality.

There's also a lot of things which are kinda shit, although they don't ruin game. As I said, it's no Desu Ex where it feels natural to go all stealth, and plot is actually linear. Enemies are sorta dumb, although deadly and persistent.
I think the worst part which ruins "magic" is when you notice an exploding robot just teleported behind your back from out of nowhere. It works better in SS2 than in Bioshock because you won't get resurrected for free, but it cheapens gameworld design. I wish the amount of enemies would be equal to the crew of the ship, so you could, say, meet original Midwives instead of them just randomly spawning everywhere.
Second part of the game, gameplay wise, is a lot weaker too. The way game throws a ton of shit on you feels lame, and it just reinforces the feeling that you'd be much better playing as a soldier with a strong gun and ton of ammo and stimpacks. After all, it doesn't matter if you destroy that camera with a wrench or a pistol, so you don't feel special by creating a character who focuses on something. That PSI UI, fuck it a lot. What cunt made that. Grr. And spiders and toxin levels. Rawr ne.
And the ending is derp.

Also, why is that after you give Shodan control over stuff, you still have to hack shit (even on Von Braun) and hear Xerxes?

But all that does not take away from game for some reason. Design of the game just works so well, I was hooked till the end. So if anyone haven't check on SS2 yet, I highly recommend it. Despite the age it still delivers.

Last edited:
I loved the tiny bit where you get on board of the Rickenbacker to escape, only to discover how fucking hopelessly bloated and gigantically overwhelmed Von Braun is by The Many. It sent a shiver down my spine.

That's beautiful about "horror" part of System Shock 2. Game keeps you constantly on your toes and you KNOW you are never safe, ever. That's what makes FPS "horror" scary, not little girl in red dress appearing from nowhere to drop one liner, it's this blocky, low-poly guy with lead pipe that can smash your head with 1-2 hits and you can't afford to shoot him from distance because ammo is too scarce.

And also the fact that you can diverse from "one and only" path and be awarded for it, or you can get your head smashed by low-poly guy with lead pipe. It's been two or three days but I still feel presonaly fucking offended after playing Bioshock. Goddamn, I'm softy.

I think the worst part which ruins "magic" is when you notice an exploding robot just teleported behind your back from out of nowhere
i honestly don't remember this.
iirc only two times some enemies are spawned behind you:
after you cross some bridge, can't recall where, should be southern part of the map with the underground garden
and
into the hangars where you find delacroix
did i miss it?

That's actually true, SS 2 respawn system is quite wonky and enemies quite often spawn from places you cleared just seconds before or simply spawn behind your back. And sometimes you can even see "magical sparkling teleportation effect" when they spawn.

Well, fuck you guys, I guess I have to start another run through now, this time as O.S.A.

Gurkog

Erudite
In the cargo bays I had 6 spawn on me in 1 minute. Everytime 1 died another spawned on me... annoying as hell. That was part of why I quit playing. There was nothing scary about the enemies... it felt like a stupid MMO where it tries to crush your soul by forcing you to grind pathetic shit constantly for the sole reward of having to grind different shit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dusted off my old 360, finally got myself that HD Composite cable I never bothered to get and nabbed a copy of GTA V. Bliss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom