Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
I enjoyed this one, the run, gun and slash gameplay was refreshing in the world of cover based popamole. Regenerating your health through executing enemies was a cool idea that encouraged the player to dive into the shit instead of hiding like a little bitch, you couldn't abuse the health regen system like in a typical shooter. Space Marine is not without flaws, it could really benefit from more variety of enemies, environments, more frequent boss fights (there is just one boss in the game if you exclude the final battle whitch is a shitty qte).
I would love to play a game like this with a mission/stage structure instead of an "action movie" structure. Where every mission is in a different place with different opponents: on board a "space hulk" facing tyranids or some emperor forsaken post apocalypic planet facing chaos cultists etc. Of course each level ends with a boss like in a proper arcade game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having finished Blood + Plasma Pak + Cryptic Passage, I figured I might as well jump into the sequel!

oh my gawd why is it so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Heresiarch

Prophet
After reading so many review sites (except the codex of course) praising Civilization 5 turned into a playable thing after two expansions (not gamespot and shit, but some reputable review sites), and with the new fal patch just came out a week ago, with great scepticism, I gave the game another try. Before this, the last time I played it was three years ago, given up on the vanilla version due to reasons just like everyone else: no religion, stupid diplomacy, hard to get used to 1UPT, and just overall dumbed down.

Now I have just woke up after spending my whole Sunday with three extra midnight hours into Monday on it and sadly must have some sleep. I find it to be good. Really good. Warning, below text may involve blasphemy.

The expansion packs introduced a lot of new gameplay elements and changes to the vanilla version that makes the game play nothing like the vanilla anymore. The new religion, tourism ("offensive culture"), world congress, ideology and other things give the game well deserved and previously lacking of complexity post early game, and they are in fact better done than Civ4, which was something I really didn't expect until I started played with them hands-on. The most important thing is, with the support of these new features, the originally perceived dumbed down core of the game, has suddenly become very interesting and fun to play.

Things that I really like of Civ 5, especially post expansions:
- 1UPT and hex makes unit movement and warfare much more interesting. Some people hate it, even I was worried that the game might turn out into "300 units clicking for one turn" nightmare. Turns out the game really doesn't allow this to happen due to the game's balancing, and it turns out the actual required clicking for troops each turn during warfare is more or less the same as before in Civ 4. The good thing of course is how troop composition, positioning, maneuvering and use of terrain have become very important. Even a 5*5 battlefield will require a lot of thinking, especially if the fight involve with complex terrain, rivers, and siege. Cities built by rivers are in particular hard to siege against. Sadly, the AI isn't really good at managing 1UPT, and I often see weird things like enemy archers not shooting while they could.
- The new policy system is very well thought and require strategical thinking to use. Unlike Civ 4, in which policies are tools that you can rush for by beelining its tech, and can be switched around anytime once become available, in Civ 5 policies require you to make choices from the get go and it will grow naturally over time. In most playthourgh it's impossible to pick even 50% of the policies, and each minor choices in the policy tree can make major impact on the game play, not to mention the ultimate benefits of unlocking a whole tree. It's almost like playing an RPG or an Euro boardgame, in which you must carefully tinker your choice of skills or resources right from the start instead of "that sounds cool I'll pick it" in order to specialize yourself for one of the victory conditions.
- The new religion system introduced in G&K is awesome and very complex. Instead of Civ 4 in which all the religions are the same, and they're just simple tools to make happiness and mess your diplomacy up, in Civ 5 religion can be customized (which can be critical if you want to rely your strategy on it), have a new and complex model to spread/use it, and even introduced a separate resource for it. Religion alone actually won't affect that much if you don't develop a strategy around it (which may require well planning from the start), but with the right choices of religion perks, policies and wonders, it seems to be able to become a powerhourse for fueling your happiness, tech, and even troop production.
- The new tourism, world congress and ideology introduced in BNW seems to be able to make major impact in the late game. I've no idea on the actual impact now, because my last playthrough has just reached the part to pick one ideology, and this playthrough isn't aimed at cultural victory either (so no focus on tourism).
- The civilopedia of Civ 5 is really well written and a good read, with tons and tons of text everywhere. Definitely more interesting to read than Civ 4.

All in all I must say post two expansions and the patches, Civ 5 turned out to be much better than I expected than vanilla. Whether it's as good as BTS or even better than it is debatable. For example some people absolutely hates 1UPT, while some people are more than glad of getting rid of Stacks of Doom. But gameplay wise, both vanilla and the expansions introduced a lot of new features that make the players need to think and ponder a lot in areas that Civ 4 never have (religion, combat, long term policy, etc.). Detail wise Civ 5 strangely lacks quite a few things that Civ 4 did so much better, such as unit confirmation voices with their own language, and dynamic music. Civ 5 plays almost silently when compared to Civ 4, which is weird since Civ 5 is supposedly more eye-candy friendly.

I would say to anyone who gave up on it before give it a try again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Having finished Blood + Plasma Pak + Cryptic Passage, I figured I might as well jump into the sequel!

I can't remember whether it was the sequel or the expansion pack (Nightmare levels) but I killed the endboss by standing perfectly still and firing the minigun until he died. Absolutely no effort on my half. Used up almost all my minigun ammo, but who cares? Endboss.

Heresiarch

Prophet

To be fair, the sequel do have many dark humor and innovations. It also has some very disturbing horror elements. Some weapons are also awesome to use, like the singularity gun's blackholes eating people. But gameplay wise and most importantly the feeling of the game is completely different from Blood, and I remember the sequel being nowhere as exciting and hectic like Blood (i.e. can get boring). In Blood, blowing up cultists with dynamites and seeing guts flying around while Caleb laughing like a mad man (as the player would do) was insanely fun, but in Blood 2 all I can remember is how I disliked that zombies can eat 3 point-blank shotgun headshots and still be alive.

I guess it's exactly the same reason why you hates the new Shadow Warrior, the transition from a 2D bloodthirsty shooter with lots of silly black humor to a 3D shooter which trying to be semi-serious seldom work out well.

Now I think of it, the atmosphere of the sequel was very VTM:B like, if Blood 2 was a full-fledged VTM:B like RPG, with four characters (each with different skills) and tons of weapons to acquire, it would probably be awesome.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma yesterday, and I'm thinking about playing the PS3 Castlevania, or maybe The Punisher [1993] on an emulator. I'm saving Sigma 2 for a rainy day.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma yesterday, and I'm thinking about playing the PS3 Castlevania, or maybe The Punisher [1993] on an emulator. I'm saving Sigma 2 for a rainy day.
You mean Castlevania: Lords of Shadows? There is a PC port to play. Amazing game. Don't bother with the DLC tough.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
You mean Castlevania: Lords of Shadows? There is a PC port to play. Amazing game. Don't bother with the DLC tough.

Yep. I never bought the DLC apparently. Thought I did, but I was wrong.

Last edited:

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Farcry 3 looked nice and apart from the usual consolitis interface issues it felt a lot better than the 2nd crapola. Crafting was a chore and having limitations about how much money you can have in your wallet depending on the material... After liberating all the outposts the only spawn point left was the compound making things a bit dull. A full retard armory JA 2 1.13 style would have made it more enjoyable.

circ

Arcane
Finished Tomb Raider (2013) 3 times last week, checked to see if it made any difference if I finished areas to 100% during the story or after - it doesn't. It's a better game than I gave it credit for though, in hindsight - gameplaywise. The QTE's and story are still as retarded as ever.

So then I re-installed Arkham Asylum, got bored after doing the first Scarecrow arcade thing or thereabouts, so re-installed Arkham City. Didn't remember it being THIS short, wow. Appreciating it a little more now, possibly because I've gotten the hang of combos, but it's still the most filler heavy game I've probably ever played. Excellent voicework though, if failing in other areas. Also trying Harley Quinn's Rev, which I hadn't, and goddamn Robin sucks ass.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, even though I haven't finished Arkham City it's a very short game (probably 6 hours) if you skip the cutscenes and optional content. I started replaying it due to losing my save after they removed GfWL, and was kind of amazed how far I got after even just 1 hour.

bussinrounds

Augur
Did you play Lament of Innocence ? Heard that was the best of the modern/3-d CV games.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Did you play Lament of Innocence ? Heard that was the best of the modern/3-d CV games.

I have played it, own it, and still have a functional PS2. Last time I played had to be like 10 years ago, but never beat it.

bussinrounds

Augur

I have played it, own it, and still have a functional PS2. Last time I played had to be like 10 years ago, but never beat it.
What's your opinion on it ? I have it (and a PS2 with the swap magic/slide card to play backup games) but haven't played it yet.

Also, thought I'd bring this to your attention, if you hadn't already seen it. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/castlevania-nes-game-hacks-for-haloween-d.87235/

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

What's your opinion on it ? I have it (and a PS2 with the swap magic/slide card to play backup games) but haven't played it yet.

Also, thought I'd bring this to your attention, if you hadn't already seen it. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/castlevania-nes-game-hacks-for-haloween-d.87235/

I never got to the first boss, but from what I remember, it was a solid game.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Further playing with Civ 5 reassured my thought that with the new expansions, the game turned into an absolute incline on almost every front. I've been playing as the Byzantine hot chick going religion + culture focused and it has been a blast. Spreading my customized religion around, with the aid of my own customized social policy combination, and trying to earn money and win over diplomacy without annoying anyone while my city number has been limited to 3 because Netherlands has always been a few turns faster than I to expand, trying to catch up the tech and quantity in military while holding off a mountainous bottleneck into my small empire with a bunch of outdated troops, all the while trying to keep a positive happiness. I'm worried about getting invaded, as I've been trying to get a high tourism for a long term cultural victory, and in Civ 5, national wonders require that certain buildings (e.g. library, university, opera house, etc) to be built in all cities before a specific wonder can be built, and in my quest of pursuing the cultural structures for all cities, I've neglected the construction of military buildings and even troops. Fortunately the militaristic guys such as Catherine and Napoleon are busy fighting each other (right outside of my own border nonetheless) and amazingly I'm friends to both of them. Netherlands has also been a trustable buddy blockading a large part of the land to prevent invasion from the other side of my empire. But the problem is he's also competing with me with culture.

The game is very good, and require a lot of thoughts, both strategical and tactical. The game do have some balancing issues, such as the four starting social policy trees aren't exactly balanced, with Tradition being too good compared to the others. Also the AI seems to love beelining for techs now, so it kinda feels weird that everyone except yourself is reaching higher eras a couple hundred years before the actual history leaving yourself in dust.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing Salvation Prophecy right now. It is an indie space sim-TPS-rts lite game, which was developed by one person. So it is not a big surprise that in terms of graphics and sounds it is quite mediocre. The interesting thing about the gameplay that it constantly introduces you to new gameplay mechanics. Opposite to other games, where everything is handed to you in the first hour, and after that you do the same things. Here, first, you are just a soldier who land on an enemy base with your budies, and kill the other factions. After you level up, you are allowed to drive a spaceship, and partake in space battles. Attacking enemy space stations, or defending you own. You can hunt down pirates too. After a while, you get to a higher rank, so you can see more intelligence from the enemy factions. And after about 9 hours, you reach the rank of supreme admiral, where you can build colonies and space stations, troops and ships, and you can tell who do you want to attack. Diplomacy also kicks in at this point.

The biggest drawback of the game, that while everything above is fun, there is simply no mission variety. Attackig the space stations, defending, attacking colonies etc is only one type of mission each, which you repeat over and over and over. It is very monotonous. Also the game mechanics are not deep enough, and it is unbalanced here and there. There are some ground mission, which are almost unwinnable, they are so hard. And in space battles, you can chase one enemy for minutes, because they have a lot of shield, and can make ridiculous manouvers. On the other hand, you can take down a WHOLE space station by yourself after a few upgrades. While your buddies fight with the spaceships, you fly to the station and start shooting it. After a few minutes, it is destroyed. Mission accomplished.

Overall, I think the developer was on the right path, and mixed the different genres nicely, but he would have needed more money, time, to work more on the different gameplay mechanics.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been playing Arkham City too, dunno how you guys say its a short game, Ive racked up 9 or 10 hours and it tells me Im 13% completed with 25% of main story done. Just beaten Solomon Grundy.
Maybe Ive spent too much time getting those throphies or running after telephone booths, but so far Im impressed they squeezed so much content in it.
Fighting is like a qte game when i think about it, i managed to rack up 48 hit combo at most to keep the flow going. Its fun tho.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Just finished Darksiders.

Will probably try playing that "Game of Thrones: RPG", since the Codex's opinion about it seemed overall positive...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny.

This game is frustrating the LIVING HELL OUT OF ME

Why are spells not explained anywhere in the game or the manual? WHY ARE THERE NO HOTKEYS?

WHY WON'T THESE GODDAMN BRIGANDS FUCKING DIE? :x (actually, they did eventually, but that didn't make them ANY LESS ANNOYING)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tomb Raider II and III.
Last play - about decade ago with TR2, when rest of my family bothered with video games. Even casual filth titles like Sims couldn't bring their attention back...
Never played any moderate difficult TPP game since El Matador, modern one are streamlined and even for me - boring.
And I didn't mentioned yet new Tomb Raider (didn't bought even for free hookers and booze or waste time and space to download "free demo").

So - no idea why I hooked. Propably strong '90 vibes like or found something fresh after cRPGs, FPS, multi and tactical stuff...
Tried TR3 because there is propably level on tropical island that I saw on some random guy display.

And there is still one unsolved question
Did the nude patch work with GOG version?

After one megathread with Geist for GameCube and hunting for vagina in Nintendo game - nothing can suprise me...

@up
so... you waiting for Gold edition? Or X360/Ps3 one
:troll:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Currently wasting time on Fallout: Resurrection. I know it's in Czech and I don't speak it at all, but I couldn't resist grabbing the bad boy just to see what it was. Gotta love how you start in a cave, alone, with some kind of peashooter while these caves are full of rats and radscorpions. Fortunately for me Google translate seems to be pretty good at translating Czech.

Playing way too much Dungeons of Dredmor. Got my first death to some acid trap I stubbornly insisted on disarming, right after clearing a monster vault. Maybe it was for the best, I was more focused on collecting crafting resources than actually advancing through the game. From now on whenever I get tempted to go full aspie on the crafting chains, I'll remember it could all be for nothignoaifasjf iasasjrh

Had an epic fight right at the beginning of my second character. I met Sigmund, who "in this universe got turned into a diggle for some reason". Having picked the Werediggle skill at random moments before, I had what must have been the most dramatic clash between low-level creatures in a game.

edit: also, I just realized I never installed the second expansion (called "You Have To Name The Expansion Pack"), because it wasn't included in the "complete" version of the game that is sold on Steam (you have to download it separately). DURR

also², apparently that diggle is called Siegfried, not Sigmund. I don't get the reference, then.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny.

This game is frustrating the LIVING HELL OUT OF ME

Why are spells not explained anywhere in the game or the manual? WHY ARE THERE NO HOTKEYS?

WHY WON'T THESE GODDAMN BRIGANDS FUCKING DIE? :x (actually, they did eventually, but that didn't make them ANY LESS ANNOYING)

Funnily enough the remake actually explains that shit ingame. And has hotkeys.

BUT THE MOTHERFUCKING BRIGANDS STILL TAKE FUCKHUEG AMOUNTS OF TIME TO DIE! :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom