Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT DA FUCK? - a Gothic 4 thread

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Aww God...

:Each man faces death by himself:

I seriously hope this is all a bad dream... and to think it couldn't get worse than G3 :(

Micmu

Magister
Sounds like utter and complete shit #473743 indeed.
I especially liked the part where they say how they researched US and EU gamer's preferences. Purely market-based games for the win!!

MountainWest

Scholar
And here I was for once not totally abhored by the screen shots. Oh well, at least they had the decency to change name on their pile of crap instead of making it a sequel.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Isnt this really insulting for the Gothic fans? Whats the strategy behind this? Maybe they want to build a "new" community, like Bethesda?

The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty).

I am so grateful I live in Europe.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That sounds mind-numbingly depressing... Are they trying to shamelessly rape the franchise or what?
Bah! To hell with it, I wasn't planning on buying it anyway, Gothic 3 serves as a fine conclusion to the story.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Lol @ different colour palettes for different regions.

Oh, and "Witches of Fate" :

:facepalm:

Scratch that, the whole article was just :facepalm:

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Well, I'll bet they added the Witches of Fate so that they have someone to deliver The Prophecy, of course.

You can't have an RPG without a prophecy. Everyone loves prophecies. :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Vanished One said:
The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty).

I am so grateful I live in Europe.

Heh, yeah. When I read this I went like "What? Two different... uhm... color schemes? What the fuck kind of stupid idea is that?"
What the fuck, seriously. And the last time I read news about Gothic 4, it sounded good. Now it just moved into the opposite direction.

Helton

Arcane
The world is a more beautiful place in America. See in the Big Rock Candy Mountains, all the cops have wooden legs! And the dogs have rubber teeth, elephants crap rainbow sherbert and suuuch! In The Big Rock Candy Mountains everyone knows your name. No hangovers or lows to go with the highs! The girls are loose in spirit, but vice tight between the thighs! And all the games are beautiful.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, what the fuck. I actually had hopes it might turn out to be an above-average game at first, but it's starting to sound like it's going to be crap.

Oh well, at least Europe gets the muted and gritty style.

About the Gothic3 expansion, I seem to remember something about it being stand-alone, which could mean that even if they do something about the combat system it might not be available in the original game.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Why do i have the feeling that the witches of fate will be similiar to Robert Jordan's Aes Sedai in excution or Frank Herbert's Bene Gesserit Sisterhood.
Both good ideas for the novels they were put in but since the research for Gothic 4 was done via focus groups , i expect everything to be way off kilter with them.

And once again am did i misremember or was the news false, i could have sworn i read here on the codex that officially both piranha bytes and jowood had made up and were working together on Gothic 4, maybe they just made up but aren't working on any more games together.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
WalterKinde said:
And once again am did i misremember or was the news false, i could have sworn i read here on the codex that officially both piranha bytes and jowood had made up and were working together on Gothic 4, maybe they just made up but aren't working on any more games together.
Made up as in "they are not suing each other anymore".

Raapys said:
Yeah, what the fuck. I actually had hopes it might turn out to be an above-average game at first, but it's starting to sound like it's going to be crap.
It was doomed from the start because of the reasons behind dumping PB and going with a new developer. I was told that the requirements were console-friendly, more like Oblivion, more fantasy, and less challenging. There was some pressure on PB to make G3 less challenging and easier to play, but they refused.

Now we have this gay Arkania the happy magic knigdom with the Witches of Fate :)facepalm:) and god knows what else. The "bright and beautiful" NA edition has got to be the most stupidest thing I've ever, ever heard of. As usual, GameSpot didn't comment on it pretending that it makes sense and doesn't surprise them at all.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
But wait, there is more...
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/874/874762p1.html

"One of the things we decided to do which wasn't in Gothic 3 was put in a much more robust questing system and map," said producer Jay Podilchuk. "If you chose the quest of your quest log it would highlight those areas [and] give you an update of how many things you had [collected] for that quest."
I guess they really took the "more like Oblivion" thing literally.

Gladman elaborated on the more user-friendly approach. "That's one of those things that's more North American-centric. A map that hand-holds you through…which you can turn off if you want to."
Deja vu.

Dreamcatcher representative commented that there'll be easier ways to move through the world, though didn't specify exactly what they meant.
Fast travel? Lovely.

He also spoke about the possibility of reordering your character statistics, indicating something along the lines of the ability in World of Warcraft to pay a fee to reshuffle talent points.
Gothic 4, inspired by Oblivion and WoW financial success.

We can say little tweaks are being made to ensure combat feels less sluggish. Quaffing potions, for example, no longer requires your character to put away his weapons and enter a lengthy drinking animation that more often than not gives your attackers time to interrupt. It's not going to be Diablo-quick, but the system will speed up the process significantly.
Drinking potions gives your attackers time to interrupt? Well, that's just crazy.

As mentioned with regards to the title change, Arcania will make magic a more significant element of combat. "If you want to be a battlemage we're going to have your buff spells and your weapon spells and stuff like that…If you want to play it as an archer then you'll want to have a system like druid-type where you can control plants and animals."
Battlemage? Druid? Can it be more vanilla and what happened to Fire and Water Mages?

This kind of system is being augmented in Arcanium according to Podilchuk. "I found in Gothic 3, you could pretty much do all the quests if you tried hard enough. They had that faction sort of thing but…it took me a couple of towns to realize what I was doing, which I found really frustrating. Not knowing what the consequences of my actions were, it wasn't communicated properly."
Ah, now I understand. A dumbfuck is making a game for dumbfucks. Now it makes sense.

"Part of the frustrating part of Gothic 3 for me is there was so much to do and it wasn't tied together properly," said Podilchuk. "It didn't necessarily feel like I was doing a quest for the paladins or I was doing a quest for the orcs. Why would I be doing quests for the orcs?"
Did he graduate from Bethesda Design School or is he naturally that gifted?

As for how lengthy an experience players should expect, "We're aiming at 60 to 80 hours. It's the full epic RPG," said Podilchuk.
We won't have it any other way.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I love the way the stereotypes have grown so strong that these days you can't specialize in a bow without them automatically assuming you want to be a ranger.

You want to shoot arrows? Or course you will want to commune with plants and animals then!

WalterKinde

Scholar
This kind of system is being augmented in Arcanium according to Podilchuk. "I found in Gothic 3, you could pretty much do all the quests if you tried hard enough. They had that faction sort of thing but…it took me a couple of towns to realize what I was doing, which I found really frustrating. Not knowing what the consequences of my actions were, it wasn't communicated properly."
I may not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox but even i know which faction i am doing a quest for in Gothic 3.
Well from that screenshot with nameless on a mount which is on its own mount they seem to have up the ante on "mounts" a combination of WoW and Oblivion.

Fast Travel.
Mounts but no Mounted combat (probably)
Quest compass they all make a come back bitches, as well as the hand holding diary/quest log.
And its an "Epic" rpg.

Damn what a waste, and no drink animation for potion usage , hp getting too low in fight? no problem guys no more running away to drink a potion or even thinking out your strategy for combat just press the quick key and keep fighting, its EPIC bitches.

Lumpy

Arcane
Binary said:
This must be a joke.
No. This is Spellbound. Expecting anything more than vanilla RPG for them was just delusion.
Not their fault, really. They didn't have a clue about RPGs and were hired to make one.

Raapys

Arcane
No more, please. This is ruining my day. I can't believe this is fucking serious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom