Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT DA FUCK? - a Gothic 4 thread

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic4/n ... id=6191191

Arcania: A Gothic Tale.
The name change serves two purposes. First, it hints at a world rich in magic and fantasy.
So former developer Piranha Bytes is gone, replaced by Spellbound Entertainment in hopes that fans of the epic RPG genre will eventually see Gothic in the same bright light as Oblivion.
The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty)
But as the king, our former hero has become consumed with power and is no longer held in favor by much of the population, including the Witches of Fate that started him on his noble journey in the first place. Betrayed, the witches find a new Nameless Hero, most likely a humble fisherman, and charge him with righting the wrongs of the new king.
While there won’t be any player creation system as you start Arcadia, the dev team is hoping that the customization system [items] will make your character truly feel like your own.
To further reinforce this, attribute points will be more flexible. As you improve in skill within traditional classes like paladin, archer, mage and thief, you’ll be able to shift some points around if you wish to change your style.

Uh, what?

Chefe

Erudite
Ever since you were kicked out of the gang your post quality has really started to decline.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Talk about crushing hopes.
So the hero of the original trilogy becomes the new big bad.
Somebody call George Lucas quick.
Couldn't they have advanced the story at least 100yrs or something.
A new dynamic etc. if we are going to do the nameless hero bit again at least set it more than just 10yrs after the events of Gothic 3.

Jason

chasing a bee
Arcadia will be packaged under Microsoft’s Games for Windows brand and we wouldn’t be surprised to see at least an Xbox 360 version as Dreamcatcher used an Xbox 360 wired controller during our demo.
They used a 360 controller to demo a PC game. Classy.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Sounds like shit. Them wanting it to be like Oblivion was bad enough, but us North American gamers also get an eye melting bloom fest? Fuck this game.

Betrayed, the witches find a new Nameless Hero, most likely a humble fisherman, and charge him with righting the wrongs of the new king.
The thing I always hated about "teh chozen 1" stories. Why the fuck would they choose a fisherman or pig farmer to overthrow a mad king? Why not somebody who already has some experience under his belt, like a famous mercenary or something.

Fez

Erudite
I can understand VD's reaction to some of that. It's not giving me a lot of hope for the future of the series.

Oh well. I bought Gothic Universe. If 4 turns out to be a piece of shit then in my mind the series will have died with 3 (and possibly the upcoming expansion for Gothic 3). I still have the old games and there is a lot of content in them to go through. I've not played through Gothic 1 for a good while too.

Lingwe

Liturgist
While there won’t be any player creation system as you start Arcadia, the dev team is hoping that the customization system [items] will make your character truly feel like your own.

So they expect people not to use the best weapon they have in order to 'customise' their character?

"Hey I found this really cool and powerful sword on the body of that powerful evil dude, but I'd better not use it because a lot of other people probably will use it and then my character won't be unique".

Sounds retarded.

(...) the Witches of Fate that started him on his noble journey in the first place.

Is that thing about Witches of Fate a case of Ret-Con by the new guys or is that really part of the original story and i just choose to forget about it?

So former developer Piranha Bytes is gone, replaced by Spellbound Entertainment (...)

The guys who made Desperados, right? Give them money and order them to make a Western RPG, for the love of god.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I amm currently playing both gothic and gothic 3 but i am still early in both games but there has been no reference to witches of fate yet.
And certainly i don't recall them in Gothic 2 or Night of The Raven Expansion.

Shannow

Waster of Time
There are not witches of fate in G1/2. Haven't finished 3....

Every weapon or piece of armor can be broken down into base components, and you’ll be able to mix and match sword hilts with blades or chest pieces with chain male.
Armor made out of men holding hands. That certainly is innovative :roll:

So former developer Piranha Bytes is gone, replaced by Spellbound Entertainment in hopes that fans of the epic RPG genre will eventually see Gothic in the same bright light as Oblivion.
Oh, Lord, let thy Bloom shine upon us!
9475.jpg

Crichton

Prophet
There are no "Witches of Fate" mentioned in the Gothic games. But the first one starts with the chosen one being tossed into the colony. We don't know what crime he committed or what circumstances led to it. We also don't know why he was chosen to bear the letter to the Fire Mages. So there's room for "Witches of Fate" if they insist on inserting them.

In G2, Xardas tells the main character that he is the chosen one of Innos, chosen to stand against the servant of the ancient evil (Beliar).

In G3, the druids tell the chosen one that he is the chosen by the gods in a more general sense, chosen to choose between the gods. (TEH CHOSEN ONE MUST CHOOSE!)

So maybe the witches of fate are intermediaries between the gods and men?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Is it PB that is working on that Gothioc 3 expansion?

Edit: Nevermind, that is spellbound as well. I just hope they'll focus on improving the combat, not raping the setting.

For Gothic 4 I've now lost all hope. I just hope PB's new project will be good. At least gothic 1-3 were great games. Salute.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Jesus, someone started to use focus groups as part of the developmental cycle.

I guess they're giving themselves an out if the game sucks. If this one bombs, than they can rehire PB to make a "true" Gothic 4.

MetalCraze

Arcane
they had the balls to change the game title, though still use the same universe.
which means that it won't be a sequel to Gothics but rather some PoS in Gothic universe to please Oblivion 'tards. I imagine they will use it as an excuse like "well it wasn't a direct sequel to Gothics as the game title tells you" in case the game will bomb.
though now that I'm remembering how Gothic fanboys were constantly fighting with Oblivion fanboys (Oblivion is just a dumbed down Gothic for retards, Gothic is superior to Oblivion, etc) it really looks extremely ironic.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This game starts to remind me the movie "In the name of the king", I hope it ends up equally awesome.

Lumpy

Arcane
Publisher Dreamcatcher freely admits Gothic 3 was a great game in theory but an unplayable mess in execution.
Publisher Dreamcatcher can suck my cock.

But the sun shone brightly in the sky and the trees and grass swayed softly in the wind. A picnic table was set for lunch with plates and cups.
Sounds like that bad Half Life fanfic.

We watched as our hero did battle against a human enemy yet to be programmed with any kind of AI – he just swung away randomly, much like you probably did if you played Gothic 3.
:roll:

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Was that a mount riding a mount?
When does it end? A village on the back of a giant turtle from whence the hero crosses the back of a giant eagle to the castle of Death adder?

A user named cat

That article was more depressing than even hearing about Bethesda doing Fallout. Was hoping they would look back to the first two Gothic games for direction, instead they're giving their game the Oblivion treatment? Someone tell those asswipes to go jump off a cliff. What a letdown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom