Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

kangaxx

Arbiter
I've just got to the Rakghoul section. It's funny playing a "predecessor" kind of game a long time after release that has obviously influenced a lot of the other stuff that came after it. Enjoying it so far, although the presentation has definitely aged worse than Madonna.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've just got to the Rakghoul section. It's funny playing a "predecessor" kind of game a long time after release that has obviously influenced a lot of the other stuff that came after it. Enjoying it so far, although the presentation has definitely aged worse than Madonna.
First Rakghoul you fight is real nasty.
The one who appears when you go to rescue Hendar.

kangaxx

Arbiter
First Rakghoul you fight is real nasty.
The one who appears when you go to rescue Hendar.
Yep, and then I headed to the quarantine tank and waltzed straight in... attacked by three of them at once. So I backed out into the camp to see what would happen if I lured them in to run rampant, and they just repeatedly battered themselves against an invis wall! The healer did not react as I just stood there throwing grenades at the Rakghouls.

Beastro

Arcane
I think I've mentioned this before but there is something about the emptiness in the levels of KotOR2 that works. It gives the game and the galaxy a very lonely, desolate feeling and atmosphere which I think actually works well for the game - and I'll bet it wasn't deliberate either. I have very fond memories of playing it for the first time in the middle of the night in 2006 or 07.
Intended or not it blends in perfectly with both the story and the first game.

It feels like an outcome of what happened in the first game after all the glitz and excitement wore off and people were stuck with the consequences of the problems the setting was facing.

Beastro

Arcane
This had some appeal for being a fresh take on Star Wars.
While I do agree to a point, it seems like 5000 years before the Galactic Empire they already had blasters, space fighters, star destroyers, giant battlestations and of course lightsabers. Tatooine and Dantoine basically played the same role as in the main era of (films & expanded universe) Star Wars. It wasn't as fresh take as many would like, given the time jump.
cb4833a3f8ddf325ef09381e576ddc79ea684642_00.jpg

starwars_star_destroyer_lights_01.jpg

Imagine these two ships were constructed 5000 years apart.

Star Wars is incestuous, that's way.

Same reason you fly around in the not-Millennium Falcon in both games.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Arbiter

Scholar
Original film trilogy, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Academy, Kotor. Star Wars at its best before it was irreperably defiled.

Why TIE Fighter, but not the original X-Wing game?

Why Jedi Academy, but not Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast?

AfterVirtue

Literate
Original film trilogy, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Academy, Kotor. Star Wars at its best before it was irreperably defiled.

Why TIE Fighter, but not the original X-Wing game?

Depends on your recipe, i guess. Mine is: original trilogy, Jedi Knight [series], Kotor 1 [with Kotor comics], some of the expanded novels [Shadows of the empire and a couple more].

Arbiter

Scholar
yea kotor 1 has bastilla and shes a total babe
i think kotor 2 was made by a different team, bunch of cringe weirdo incels with granny obsession so it has no good hoes so consensus is skip that one

Kotor 2 was developed by Obsidian because BioWare was busy working on DAO, ME and SW:TOR MMO.

AfterVirtue

Literate
This had some appeal for being a fresh take on Star Wars.
While I do agree to a point, it seems like 5000 years before the Galactic Empire they already had blasters, space fighters, star destroyers, giant battlestations and of course lightsabers. Tatooine and Dantoine basically played the same role as in the main era of (films & expanded universe) Star Wars. It wasn't as fresh take as many would like, given the time jump.
cb4833a3f8ddf325ef09381e576ddc79ea684642_00.jpg

starwars_star_destroyer_lights_01.jpg

Imagine these two ships were constructed 5000 years apart.

Star Wars is incestuous, that's way.

Same reason you fly around in the not-Millennium Falcon in both games.
Star Wars is Samsara. :philosoraptor:

Arbiter

Scholar
It depends. You have to play it at least seven times before you can truly respect its greatness.

On Codex the following is more likely:
"This game sucks"
"Hey, I am on my seventh play-through with class X on difficulty level Y. It still sucks, though"

Arbiter

Scholar
I remember being VASTLY disappointed at how downsized and dumbed down KOTOR was compared to BG2. Even though i did finish the game i just hated that and didn't touch it again for many years.

I only did a second playthrough several years ago, and i still finished it despite again finding the dumbing down painful to bear.

I think ultimately what allowed me to finish it both times is that despite being BG-lite it is still BG-like, if that makes sense. I guess that's the most positive thing i can say about it.

NWN was the beginning of streamlining, for example replacing 6 fully controllable characters with a single PC + a companion with limited player's control.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Likely because Jedi Academy was the apex of Lightsaber combat. You could probably sub in Jedi Outcast but they're pretty much indistinguishable.
Jedi Outcast has better level design and encounters. Can be pretty difficult when played on harder difficulties.
Jedi Academy is indeed the apex of Lightsaber combat. It's just so fun, not to mention that starting the game with a lightsaber is also a major plus in its favor. Later in the game you can also choose between dual lightsabers and a double bladed one.
The whole series is great, starting with Dark Forces.

rumSaint

Literate
Likely because Jedi Academy was the apex of Lightsaber combat. You could probably sub in Jedi Outcast but they're pretty much indistinguishable.
Jedi Outcast has better level design and encounters. Can be pretty difficult when played on harder difficulties.
Jedi Academy is indeed the apex of Lightsaber combat. It's just so fun, not to mention that starting the game with a lightsaber is also a major plus in its favor. Later in the game you can also choose between dual lightsabers and a double bladed one.
Multiplayer in Jedi Academy was also pretty great. It had so many various play styles. Also force chocking people online was always fun.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Multiplayer in Jedi Academy was also pretty great. It had so many various play styles. Also force chocking people online was always fun.
Indeed.
Servers are still up, so you can have some fun.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Liking Kotor 1 is one thing but openly admitting of owning XBOX? Willingly?

Remember Skyway?
An Ukrop if i remember correctly, it was long ago time. Unless he is still here under an alias. What about him? He also made joke about owning consoles? I can't recall what he was about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom