Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Was KOTOR even worth a play?

Falksi

Arcane
So finally finished it and yeah, really enjoyed it.

It did lose it's way a bit towards the end; even though the temple was kinda cool, Lehon itself felt like pure filler and they really could have just gone straight from the 4 planets to the Star Forge to keep the pacing tight.

The combat is definitely junk food, but good, fun junk food for sure. It just scrapes by being tactical enough to call itself tactical, but the good times definitely all came from just dicking about with Jedi powers. If people call the combat here "shit" they're not getting that it isn't trying to be a fine cuisine, it's a take-away with mates and there for cheap thrills. The powers evolve at a staggered enough rate so that you can have some fun, and then when you start to tire of them something else pops up. It's far from perfect, but I still had a good time with it in a trashy way. It definitely makes you feel badass.

The end boss fight was ace, and really reflected on how shite the Arishock fight in DA:2 was by comparison. NecroLord I didn't have any trouble hitting Malak, it's all about using Force Breach, but....even though I beat him at my first attempt...I did have to be very much on my toes to do that, Force Breaching the trapped Jedi, buffing and rebuffing in-between, and wearing him down with Plague and attacks. It made for a very interesting battle, and probably the best tactical 1-Vs-1 battle I can think of at the mo tbh.

The game did obviously also descend into really clichéd Star Wars stuff story-wise at the end too, again not bad, but just not as strong as the first 3/4s of the game.

But is it worth a play? 100% yes. In fact it's been some of the most fun I've had gaming so far this year. Coming to it on the back of trash like Tyranny and Solsta really made me appreciate it more than I ever have.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Plague is a pretty good force power.
No save allowed (actually I think it's a 100 difficulty in the combat log!).
You doing Kotor 2 next?
Yep. Gonna do a bit of dumb blasting on the Saboteur to cleanse the pallet, then on to KOTOR 2. Might roll my character up tonight in fact.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Damn now I want to do another playthrough of the KotORs. Wonder if my old Cds still work, cbf buying it again

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I can't remember why I was struggling with Malak but was struggling to hit him, so I ran around stopping those Vats then spammed him with every grenade in the entire game because I was hoarding them. Completely melted him.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The end boss fight was ace, and really reflected on how shite the Arishock fight in DA:2 was by comparison. @NecroLord I didn't have any trouble hitting Malak, it's all about using Force Breach, but....even though I beat him at my first attempt...I did have to be very much on my toes to do that, Force Breaching the trapped Jedi, buffing and rebuffing in-between, and wearing him down with Plague and attacks. It made for a very interesting battle, and probably the best tactical 1-Vs-1 battle I can think of at the mo tbh.

I force choked Malak. The end boss fight took me five seconds to win.

Falksi

Arcane
The end boss fight was ace, and really reflected on how shite the Arishock fight in DA:2 was by comparison. @NecroLord I didn't have any trouble hitting Malak, it's all about using Force Breach, but....even though I beat him at my first attempt...I did have to be very much on my toes to do that, Force Breaching the trapped Jedi, buffing and rebuffing in-between, and wearing him down with Plague and attacks. It made for a very interesting battle, and probably the best tactical 1-Vs-1 battle I can think of at the mo tbh.

Damn, you literally used the force to get the game to bypass his regeneration stages.

Impressive. Most impressive.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Damn, you literally used the force to get the game to bypass his regeneration stages.

Impressive. Most impressive.
Malak has a really high Fortitude save.
Probably Bibbi played a Consular with astronomically high Wisdom and Charisma.
I know it can be done. You might have to try it a few times though...

Saldrone

Novice
I also didn't level up on Taras, so I was rocking 18 levels of Consular. I force waved effortlessly through a large part of the game, too. Fun build.
That strategy i've heard about saving levels on Taris sounds pretty unorthodox and gimmicky through, what about the duel against Bendak Starkiller being underleveled?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I also didn't level up on Taras, so I was rocking 18 levels of Consular. I force waved effortlessly through a large part of the game, too. Fun build.
That strategy i've heard about saving levels on Taris sounds pretty unorthodox and gimmicky through, what about the duel against Bendak Starkiller being underleveled?
Even if you are max level for Taris (typically level 8) that fight is still pretty nasty. Dodging his plasma grenades and using some of your own against him (you can find some plasma grenades in the Vulkar Base) seems to be a reliable strategy.
Going in melee is not recommended. He hits really hard and has Master Power Attack, I think.
Saving levels is an optimal strategy and pays serious dividends later in the campaign. You really don't need all those bonus feats and more skills, but you do need Force Powers, because those are really strong.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Grenades. Then more grenades.

Beans00

Augur
Both kotor's are ok games, especially if you like star wars(I don't). Both suffer from very uneven quality between planets though. Not a fan of the combat system but it's not actively bad either.

In kotor 1

prologue is so short its not worth mentioning
Taris is fine
Dantooine sucks
Tatooine is pretty good
kashyk is dogshit
manaan is pretty good
Korriban is mediocre
leviathan sucks
unknown world is mediocre
star forge is dogshit

Kotor 2

peragus is dogshit
telos is really good
dxun/onderon is pretty good
nar shaddaa is dogshit
dantooine is mediocre
Korriban is mediocre
I would say most of the end game is pretty dogshit, although nothing that irritated me as much as the star forge.

Both are ok games, definitely worth playing if you like star wars or sci fi. I don't think you'd miss anything super essential by skipping them though.

Bulo

Scholar
The first game is retroactively improved by the second. Shame about the third

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I also didn't level up on Taras, so I was rocking 18 levels of Consular.

I don't remember details on Bendak Starkiller because it was probably 14 years ago, but I must have done it. Grenades, it is, I suppose.

KOTOR 1&2 are solid, fun B-movies. The loss of the B-movie has been a tragedy.

That's appropriate, considering the setting. Star Wars itself was a solid, fun B-movie when it came out. Although it ambitiously explored a lot of other letters with each new sequel, like a version of Star Trek inside a can of alphabet soup.

Falksi

Arcane
peragus is dogshit
I've had a few hours with KOTOR 2 past few days, and can definitely agree with this.

Bioware really dropped the ball with the general game structure here, as the amount of time spent interacting with computer consoles and also holo projections in this section is just mind-numbing. Being set against the very mundane backdrop of a space mine doesn't help either, they really should have gone for more high-sci-fi dramatic tension and less faff here.

Camel

Scholar
Even if you are max level for Taris (typically level 8) that fight is still pretty nasty. Dodging his plasma grenades and using some of your own against him (you can find some plasma grenades in the Vulkar Base) seems to be a reliable strategy.
Going in melee is not recommended. He hits really hard and has Master Power Attack, I think.
Saving levels is an optimal strategy and pays serious dividends later in the campaign. You really don't need all those bonus feats and more skills, but you do need Force Powers, because those are really strong.
Right, 2/18 Jedi class is standard for powergaming(?) in KoTOR with hoarding levels on Taris. The game is too easy anyway. I don't even remember one challenging fight, except maybe the Calo Nord encounter when escaping Taris.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom