Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40K: Armaggedon - Turn-based strategy from Slitherine

Looks to me like they tried to make it look as close to the tabletop as possible.
Doesn't look like the tabletop version at all. Looks like Rites of War II.

Graphics really, really make it look like the tabletop. Most of the vehicles look like minatures. Mechwarrior Tactics kinda tried to do the same thing.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It really looks like PanzerCorps 40K, or Rites of War 2 :
It uses the same weird scale where 1 model = 1 unit of undetermined size whose strength goes from 10 to 1, with 10 being full strength unit, and 1 depleted unit.
Unlike the TT, the units will probably have range going from 1 to 3 : Just look at how cramped the screen is.
The models look the same as in the TT indeed, but from the look of the engine, the gameplay will probably closely resemble Panzer Corps and not WH40K at all :(
It is sad, as they PC/RoW are ok games, but they are so abstract and gamey you could put whatever skin on them and they would still play the same. Heh, I guess it's still better than no 40K game, but I would have much preferred a remake of Final Liberation (with less cheesy titans, higher difficulty and variety), or Chaos Gate.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Lol, table top game with free movement and true line of sight, computer game with hexes. Don't have anything against hexes but it does feel weird.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Why wouldn't they? Rules are not their cash cow, the miniatures are.

In my understanding that is the problem, why pay through the nose for GW miniatures when you can buy a computer game, and not pay for rulebooks, miniatures, paints etc. and still enjoy the 40k tabletop experience, sans the physical spess mehreen miniatures and rolling dice. At least that seems to be the problem according to the people running GW. When was the last time GW sanctioned a computer that did mostly port the rules? Final Liberation? And that was for epic not regular 40k, 16 years ago, yet for some reason it is the only instance of just porting the rule set. Unless I forgot about some other warhammer 40k game that did try to port the TT rules.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

In my understanding that is the problem, why pay through the nose for GW miniatures when you can buy a computer game, and not pay for rulebooks, miniatures, paints etc. and still enjoy the 40k tabletop experience, sans the physical spess mehreen miniatures and rolling dice. At least that seems to be the problem according to the people running GW. When was the last time GW sanctioned a computer that did mostly port the rules? Final Liberation? And that was for epic not regular 40k, 16 years ago, yet for some reason it is the only instance of just porting the rule set. Unless I forgot about some other warhammer 40k game that did try to port the TT rules.
Please - army DLCs, special units DLCs, colour scheme DLCs - the possibilities are endless.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Would GW even let anyone ever make a mostly pure ruleset port as a warhammer 40k computer game?

In fact let me point at Blood Bowl which is both rules and 23 teams (which is a shitton of miniatures). And abiding by original rules was GW's condition for Cyanide. That's why it's the only game by them that is not entirely retarded real-time rendition of a TB game.

The rules are pretty shitty anyway.

True. But LOS / damage based gameplay is much better than the shitty PG with very limited movement and unit counts which don't look as epic as a WH40K battlefield filled with miniatures should look.

Plus nobody stops anyone from improving a ruleset in a whatever way they want. I mean even DoW's gameplay is much deeper than Slitherine incoming shite.

Hellraiser

Arcane
In fact let me point at Blood Bowl which is both rules and 23 teams (which is a shitton of miniatures). And abiding by original rules was GW's condition for Cyanide. That's why it's the only game by them that is not entirely retarded real-time rendition of a TB game.

Yes but Blood Bowl was discontinued by GW eons ago, the rulebook is even distributed for free online on GW's website. Probably because the game used few miniatures so it wasn't as good of a cash cow, go figure.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Yes but Blood Bowl was discontinued by GW eons ago, the rulebook is even distributed for free online on GW's website. Probably because the game used few miniatures so it wasn't as good of a cash cow, go figure.
And Cyanide still included an incredibly shitty real time mode.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Final Liberation was dumbed-down Steel Panthers. It didn't port the TT rules.

I think Space Crusade has ported TT rules, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Final Liberation was dumbed-down Steel Panthers. It didn't port the TT rules.

I think Space Crusade has ported TT rules, though.
Indeed, but it more or less ported the Space Marines Close Combat rules as there were no such rules in SP (all models rolled 2 dice + FA, higher score kills the opponent, additional attackers get +1D each). Chaos Gate had its own ruleset, which was for the best IMO (at least, it is the one I preferred by a fair margin, as I could only think about the awesomeness of a non dumbed down Steel Panthers in WH40K universe).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
cpgQyvN.jpg

They mostly seem to make turn based strategy games for mobile stuff. I think they have a game on Steam now called Panzer Corps. Anyone have it?

Nikolaj

Educated
It seems that the game will not be developed by Slitherine, but by Lordz Games, which also did Panzer Corps, so it seems very likely that it'll be a Panzer General clone. I like Panzer Corps well enough for what it is, so this could turn out to be a decent game, for those who don't get too hung up about it not being a pc version of the tabletop game. I don't think I'll be playing, though.

edit: Also, expect lots of DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom