Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Hellion

Arcane
Owlcat_Eyler please foward this to whoever decided that you are going to allow healing of trauma only on Voidship while also locking you into super long and hard missions where you cannot access that Voidship: Go f*** y*******
Seriously?! You are either forcing me to load a save few hours before to go do some other content first or drop difficulty to story mode just to pass this stupid level?!

And I do not even get enough medkits to remove all injury.. not to mention using medkit out of combat rolls a check to remove injury and uses a charge if you fail it basically forcing you to savescum because medkits seem to be this super rare and mythical resource..
git gud
with toybox

You gave me the idea to download ToyBox for Rogue Trader, and I used it to bypass the glitched cutscene which prevented me from advancing the main storyline. Perhaps I can finish the game after all.

Kiste

Augur
Oh, nice. That 5% rebate I got at the Fellowship of the Void trader for sparing some dude in the prison makes stuff 50% more expensive.

Some rebate.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's funny honestly because right now it's an RPG without even the equivalent of a low level trader who offers basic weapons for your build. Need a plasma pistol? Better hope some random goon carries one!
Plasma pistols are hard to come by in the setting though, there's a reason even space marines only give them to sergeants and other important people.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's beyond me why owlcat added all these pointless in engine cinematics. All they show is how terrible the graphics and animations are...

Anyways, the game itself is probably owlcats weakest, by far:

1. You level up more often than in Diablo, I was level 5 by the end of the short tutorial.

2. The character progression system is pointlessly convoluted.

3. Itemization is weird, armour values depend on the chapter I'm playing? Ridiculous

4. Writing is terrible, the first psyker I got in my party is already getting on my nerves. At least I could kill Asterion 50 different ways, but this bitch you have to hear her go on and on.

lightbane

Arcane
Plasma guns also tend to overheat and go kaboom, although the frequency and intensity of such event varies from the quality of the pistol (in the pnp best quality plasma pistol never overheat), the specific model, and in which game they show up.

So far, from what I'm reading here, it would be better to wait a few months/weeks so that the most egregious bugs are patched out before playing the game.
How's item variety? Can you go with extravagant gear such as gold-plated flamers?

Sentinel

Arcane
It's beyond me why owlcat added all these pointless in engine cinematics. All they show is how terrible the graphics and animations are...

Anyways, the game itself is probably owlcats weakest, by far:

1. You level up more often than in Diablo, I was level 5 by the end of the short tutorial.

2. The character progression system is pointlessly convoluted.

3. Itemization is weird, armour values depend on the chapter I'm playing? Ridiculous

4. Writing is terrible, the first psyker I got in my party is already getting on my nerves. At least I could kill Asterion 50 different ways, but this bitch you have to hear her go on and on.
You can kill her later

Azdul

Magister
Look guys Owlscat are a small indie studio and this is, like, one of their first games. You gotta excuse all these bugs from these poor Ru- I mean 100% ethnic Cypriot devs.
btw funny how germans famous for their work ethics gave birth to whole eurojank genre.
It's not only Germans. Most European developers had really hard time making a jump from home computers to PCs and consoles in the 90's.

They could make extremely good Spectrum, C64 or Amiga game with few people - but doing the same in the 90's - with rapidly changing platforms - is a completely different beast.

Gothic 1 development was going though hell - but they've managed to release it - first on the German market - and then worldwide. The same goes for Witcher 1. And I'm still bitter about not being able to play few Russian Baldur's Gates - that were never finished and never released:
1.jpg

It could have been complete shit - alas I'll never know.

Zayne

Scholar
Got stuck on Janus in fight with slaaneshi governor.
During the fight game crashes 100%. If I save and load, game crashes when I load that save. If I try to go back to my voidship to change party, game also crashes.
(Also, Argenta tried to preach to Idira after she put a bolt in her head few hours earlier, but that's minor)

Guess I'll try it again in May. It's a shame, cause I was able to finish both Wrath and Kingmaker on release. Somehow, third time is not the charm.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I was able to finish Kingmaker on release

bullshit :-D

regarding game crash I had twice problems with talent + equipped item combo (item that changes fel to int skill check for example while having int to fel talent) and could not load those save files

Shaki

Arbiter
I gotta say, despite half of the game being broken, and occasionally making me want to firebomb the Owlscat HQ in a fit of rage after a nasty bug, I overall still really enjoy playing it. Towars the end of chapter 1, after unfair penalties started to fully kick in, some fights did become actually pretty hard, and thank to the brutal injury system even easier fight have me on edge and constantly thinking how to optimize.

Writing is surprisingly decent, and WH40k is just such a fun setting that it's really hard to fuck it up, itemization feels good, enemy variety could be better but it's still an improvement over Pathfinders. I even like companions, nigress and mutant are cringe but Abelard is a real bro who doesn't try to fuck you, and I missed this type of character. Argenta is a classic paladin that's hard to find in modern RPGs, and as for Pasqual, it's pretty much impossible to make a Tech Priest character that wouldn't be cool. Honestly, even with all the broken shit I think I'm having more fun here than with any other RPG released this year (best game I've played was Vagrus, but it was released few years ago). I will make the final decision later after full playthrough, but so far it looks like GOTY for me.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Given that what they have released is effectively a late stage "early access" version, is there much scope for Owlcat to improve it over the next 18 months or so? I've somewhat interested in this but no where near enough to try it as it stands, trying to decide whether I should care enough to keep track of it or just ignore

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
One thing the game is lacking is the lack of insight from the player's background. As Navy Officer I should be given a foreknowledge about certain aspects of space travel, but oddly enough I do not and I have to ask about it, like some clueless idiot. Disco Elysium did this better by providing the player with insight via skills and hidden checks. There is no reason for Rogue Trader to not do the same, only it should be much easier, because it is very clear where your background should come into play.

Yeah I agree with this, it's a bit of a fly in the ointment for an otherwise pretty polished experience (bar the bugs, although tbh I haven't encountered any yet, though I'm still only in Act 1). Like, if my char is voidborn I shouldn't have an option to ask the voidborn vox lady about what it's like being a voidborn, shouldn't have to ask about space travel ins and outs if I'm Navy, as you say, etc., etc.

I suppose it's only annoying if you're the sort of person who's compelled to click through every available non-contradictory dialogue option though - I guess for new players they appreciate the mini lore dumps.

Still enjoying the heck out of the game. I've bumped up diff to Unfair as I realized the full penalties won't be kicking in till later anyway, so might as well get used to it, and I think I've got enough of a handle on the mechanics now. It's definitely one of those games where half the pleasure is inspecting how buffs/debuffs, etc., affect your character/enemies, religiously (ahem) checking the combat log, and figuring little details out.

I was kind of worried for a bit that I'd gone with a really weakly synergistic combo with Crime Lord and Officer and might have to start again, and the combo is a bit lacking in synergies compared to other combos (e.g. Sanctic Psyker and Officer), but what the hell, you only live once and it was the first rp thing that came into my head, as I wanted a character who'd been raised religiously, gone off-piste for a while, then had come back to the light and is now ultra-dogmatic :)

Humanophage

Arcane
I should really stop reading these threads for fear of getting too hyped and actually buying playing the game before it is ready.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Found Inquisitor, then went through process of leveling him up from 4 to lvl 12 and noticed talent I picked up that was supposed to give him +5 Str didn't do this... now I wonder how many such basic stuff is broken and not working if they were not capable of having simple passive bonuses working :(

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Just got Cassia , 5h+ hours into the game and here'a my thoughts so far:

The game is running great on Xbox. Only a few frames drops sometimes and no bugs so far

The Combat feels good to play, every hit, every show is meaty.

I don't know what the fuck you guys are whining about leveling system. It not that obtuse. Level 7 rn and all level ups feels pretty easy to choose. The difficulty is low on Daring, might have to pump to Hard.

The writing so far, it's good. The dialogue options so far gave me exctally what I wanted to play as Crime Lord Assassin. It feeling right to play my Character , a pirate that's direct to the point but always helps anyone who's suffering due their background of being tortured. Sadly , so far little reactivity based on my Origins but quite a few towards my Darkest Hour.

The atmosphere is just right. The writing gives perfect descriptions of the body horror and Warp shenanigans.

The Voice acting is being great so far and companions have quite a lot to say during conversations.

Cassia's recruit quest has quite few ways to resolve which is always good.

The music is FUCKING AMAZING.
Btw here's the full OST:

kangaxx

Arbiter
I've had a small number of very minor and irrelevant bugs, mostly with Steam achievements popping up for no reason, but honestly this is nothing like Kingmaker on release (so far). So I don't quite get the "unfinished" complaints. I've played many far worse than this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've had a small number of very minor and irrelevant bugs, mostly with Steam achievements popping up for no reason, but honestly this is nothing like Kingmaker on release (so far). So I don't quite get the "unfinished" complaints. I've played many far worse than this.
It is not unfinished (at least not early Acts) but it is unpolished with random bugs, crashes, non working talents and abilities, UI issues and questionable design decisions (lack of armory/shops; injury system; too fast leveling)

Shaki

Arbiter
Found Inquisitor, then went through process of leveling him up from 4 to lvl 12 and noticed talent I picked up that was supposed to give him +5 Str didn't do this... now I wonder how many such basic stuff is broken and not working if they were not capable of having simple passive bonuses working :(
Yeah as I said in one of my previous posts, legit ~50% of talents are broken, most of them were reported in alpha/beta, and half of them could be fixed in one day because they require only simple numerical fixes - yet Owlcat still couldn't be bothered to touch it whole year. It's legit insanty, it's like they're trying to sabotage their own game on purpose.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah as I said in one of my previous posts, legit ~50% of talents are broken, most of them were reported in alpha/beta, and half of them could be fixed in one day because they require only simple numerical fixes - yet Owlcat still couldn't be bothered to touch it whole year. It's legit insanty, it's like they're trying to sabotage their own game on purpose.
Obviously they looked at how much bethesda and larian games sell and came to the conclusion that bugs are in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom