Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Nos

Novice
Overall very impressive game, maybe best atmosphere (though far inferior writing) since Planescape Torment...

Love the Warhammer 40K world, it's like a perfect hellscape of ancient Mesopotamian and Egyptian god-emperors and priest-kings...
Hindu caste-system gone insane...worst aspects of 19th Century Imperialism, 20th century Communism and Robber-Baron Capitalism...

Writing not great but infinitely better than the goofy/woke Larian s**t like the Divinity franchise or BG3...
Mechanics a problem (level up after every. damn. fight.; then choose between a million perks...)
But franchise is so good even Owlcat can't f**k it up.
Whatever its faults, best rpg I've played in years...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
With Kingmaker and Wrath I had the urge to restart until I found a class that I felt comfortable with. With this I don't even want to start a new character because I know a) my build is gonna be broken anyway and b) the "Prologue" is so fucking long and tedious.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
btw, 35 gb download AND install size?

Is that right? Feels like a beta install size and not the full one? but in game it says 1.0.60, which I believe is the launch version on steam?

Can anybody confirm?

Sentinel

Arcane
btw, 35 gb download AND install size?

Is that right? Feels like a beta install size and not the full one? but in game it says 1.0.60, which I believe is the launch version on steam?

Can anybody confirm?
my gog
lol
install is 35.5GB.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So I seemingly broke the game from where I stand.

Having a soldier-> Archmilitant with a heavy Bolter and two officers means 6 16 Rounds Bursts per round starting from where I can get my momentum up, which is still mostly turn 1.

With the Archmilitants momentum skill you get a Free shot, including the Burst of the Heavy Bolter everytime you get extra actions with your officers.
With the 2 AP you can either use Rapid Fire / Dodge if you need or Rapid Fire / Single shot with another weapon to get versatility stacks.
As soon as you hit 12 of those, which is fast this way you can add the Free shot of the Archimiltants Wildfire ability.

The heavy Bolter is not strong but with a high BS you crist really often, buff the damage and I see hit's in the fourties for every Bullet in the 16 shot burst. Highly mobile as well with Run and Gun that you get for basically free with burst mode.

I am in Chapter two but I can "solo" most combats in 1-2 rounds.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Because I do not save scum fight

If a lot of your party members are going down, is because you are not taking care of them. Try to use invigorate and regeneration if you have a biomancer in your party, IF they are low in hp, try to move them to safety.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Because I do not save scum fight

If a lot of your party members are going down, is because you are not taking care of them. Try to use invigorate and regeneration if you have a biomancer in your party, IF they are low in hp, try to move them to safety.
Is there a companion in first 10 levels that is a biomancer? Don't answer that.
Move back if you are getting shot? That is your great advice? Really?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wow! Game just crashed during saving and didn't save of course.. lucky I save regularly and this wasn't just after a big battle..

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The loot & trading feel way off for being a party-based game. So you trade until you reach certain "trade points" with each faction, and when you do, you can just have everything they have to offer? Why wouldn't I pick everything ??? There seem to be no restrictions. I'm not sure the Owltype style of RPG was the right choice for this setting. As others have mentioned, you should already be decked out in the best stuff, since you have thousands if not millions under your thumb. Think I'm done for now after giving some more time. It does nothing for me, however, it's not the fault of the game only. I'm not that into Warhammer 40k. The setting is kinda cool (mostly the space horror), but I don't know if it makes that great of an RPG, it's a bit one-note.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
A Rogue Trader isn't restricted by what he can afford but what he can acquire in a reasonable amount of time.

It's funny honestly because right now it's an RPG without even the equivalent of a low level trader who offers basic weapons for your build. Need a plasma pistol? Better hope some random goon carries one!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A Rogue Trader isn't restricted by what he can afford but what he can acquire in a reasonable amount of time.

It's funny honestly because right now it's an RPG without even the equivalent of a low level trader who offers basic weapons for your build. Need a plasma pistol? Better hope some random goon carries one!
At least in chapter 1 you could trade with the unidentified voidship

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

And do they offer basic equipment? No. They have very specific goods which also happen to be in limited supply.

Imagine playing Baldurs Gate 1 and not being able to buy equipment until you reach the city. Not even splint mail and a longsword.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The loot & trading feel way off for being a party-based game. So you trade until you reach certain "trade points" with each faction, and when you do, you can just have everything they have to offer? Why wouldn't I pick everything ???

I honestly think its a clever way to limit what item the player has at what time, at least in theory. All the shops in the game, essentially has limited stock, and due to Trade Factor system, is only available at certain point, even if you grind reputation with certain faction.

It doesn't really make sense in game I guess but I like it compared to the usual Gold system

Lhynn

Arcane
Is melee even viable? Feels like you move too little and only ever attack one target.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I've noticed that one but I assumed it was some space fight and that going to planets should give you access to shops and medkits.. stupid design if true.
In both previous games Act 1 was one of the best acts, here it is pretty bad so far.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is melee even viable? Feels like you move too little and only ever attack one target.

Melee is very strong. Pretty reliable way to kill shits. Take the Movement feat + Charge and your Warrior will be zooming around

Harthwain

Magister
One thing the game is lacking is the lack of insight from the player's background. As Navy Officer I should be given a foreknowledge about certain aspects of space travel, but oddly enough I do not and I have to ask about it, like some clueless idiot. Disco Elysium did this better by providing the player with insight via skills and hidden checks. There is no reason for Rogue Trader to not do the same, only it should be much easier, because it is very clear where your background should come into play.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My Abelard is a complete chad who regularly hits for 50 at the moment. Voice of Command (Officer) + Bring It Down! (Officer) + Charge + Daring Breach (Resets AP + MP + Don't lose MP after attacking) + Boots that reduce charge cost/Have chance to give 2MP per kill clears entire rooms of goons. Daring Breach can let you hit for 4 times one after another. There's also a ton of other shit that boosts your MP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom