Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War Cabinet – new strategy and war game currently in development

CosPetia

Literate
Dear friends,

We would like to ask for your comments and opinion regarding a new strategy and war game project, called War Cabinet.

The game will put you in the army commander's role during a War that takes place in the late 80s – 90s of XX century. The game story is about 12 years old boy and a terrible and unforgettable civil war. He desperately have been seeking for shelter, hope and new life. Ha was scared and lonely when a man – a General found him and changed his life.… Read more at: http://www.warcabinet.net/story/

War Cabinet will be played in two different modes: Single and Multiplayer Campaign or different battles scenarios. It will use pause-able real time planning system to offer full strategic and tactical flexibility.

You can take a look at our first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5puz9UpjM

War Cabinet screenshots:

M60A3Tank.jpg

Attack-Helicopter-Level-2.png

SPAAG_Radar.jpg

So what do you think? If you want to read more please visit: www.warcabinet.net.

panzertoter

Arcane
The game story is about 12 years old boy and a terrible and unforgettable civil war. He desperately have been seeking for shelter, hope and new life. Ha was scared and lonely when a man – a General found him and changed his life.…

d96abcfe9ed49c572596fde84433f1c0fd2f1c79ed9ba9fe7a39b5c8eaa2b0cc.jpg

anus_pounder

Arcane
Why does a strategy game have a protagonist?

I'm going to be 'that guy' and point out that World in Conflict and Starcraft 2, for example, had protagonists.

That said, I'd rather see and read some more about the gameplay than the story when it comes to strategy games.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jagged Alliance 2 had a protagonist too! That said, from their website, it does sound like it happens several year later, and the child is not a child anymore, which makes the whole presentation weird :
Why focus on the fact that at some point, the protagonist was 12 year old and met someone? It's not like the backstory of the character is our main drive to play a war game...
How about a presentation of the gameplay, scope, and setting instead?

laclongquan

Arcane
Just because we are RPGcodex doesnt mean you can pull a cheap trick on us. Get over that scanty detals of rpg and tell us something about strategy.

I dont think you even have an idea about that. What kind of gameplay are we looking at here?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
You had me scratching my head at the child bit, and then the comments made me laugh. Out of morbid curiosity I watched the video and looked at the site. There's pretty much nothing there that explains what TYPE of strategy game this will be, unless I squint real hard and fill in the gaps with my imagination. So....

:3/5:

CosPetia

Literate
I think there is not much to see.
Is this made with Unity?
We are using proven Unity Engine for the development of the game.

You had me scratching my head at the child bit, and then the comments made me laugh. Out of morbid curiosity I watched the video and looked at the site. There's pretty much nothing there that explains what TYPE of strategy game this will be, unless I squint real hard and fill in the gaps with my imagination. So....

:3/5:
Straight to the game mechanics then:

Game will use pause-able time system (hybrid between RTS and turn based)

There would be 3 core layers of strategic game play.

1. Battle Theater layer – here you deploy your units to different fronts and assign Air and Artillery Missions and control the time scale.

2. Tactical layer – all of the pre-alpha shots are from this layer. We will use grid system over the terrain map. Design will be ready by next week. Another nice feature of this layer will be player ability to control camera POV. You will control units on battalion level. Units close in view on random events.

3. Warfare building and personal development – Here you will spend your money on building warfare infrastructure like airfield, barracks, etc. At this layer you will control you officers pool, spend experience points for commander development and etc.

NUI_Screen01-C2logosmall.png

If you want to see the full size screenshot - http://www.warcabinet.net/gallery/pre-alpha-screenshots/

Your feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Is this made with Unity?
[.

well I expected that already .. Because one look at the screenshot told me that it was a generic Unity game.
Why does the landcape look the same as in most Unity games?
Why are the textures always blurry, and the colors always the same, that I have seen in 500 other games?
Why does the look of the skybox totally clash with the terrain? Is it done by two different people?
Is there a sample application that all of you guys use?
Because what I see here could be basically:
1. terrainSample.cpp
2. skyboxSample.cpp
3. tank.3ds helicopter.3ds
4. import some assets from Unity
5. annouce a new game is in development all over the internet!

No, pauseable realtime is still real time.

CosPetia

Literate
BM-21 Battery – weapon of war, which is enormously widespread and capable of creating some real havoc, at least against lightly armored targets.

bm21u_grad.jpg

BM- 21 battery is consisted of eighteen forty-tube 122mm rocket launchers and they could bomb enemy positions with 720 rounds of non-persistent Sarin or Hydrogen Cyanide in a single 20 second salvo, reload and replicate that strike 10 minutes later.

BM-21 Battery used in War Cabinet Game is suitable for surprise attack against troop concentrations, strong points and command centers.

How would you counter BM-21 Battery?

CosPetia

Literate
Is this made with Unity?
[.

well I expected that already .. Because one look at the screenshot told me that it was a generic Unity game.
Why does the landcape look the same as in most Unity games?
Why are the textures always blurry, and the colors always the same, that I have seen in 500 other games?
Why does the look of the skybox totally clash with the terrain? Is it done by two different people?
Is there a sample application that all of you guys use?
Because what I see here could be basically:
1. terrainSample.cpp
2. skyboxSample.cpp
3. tank.3ds helicopter.3ds
4. import some assets from Unity
5. annouce a new game is in development all over the internet!

No, pauseable realtime is still real time.

Even at this very early stage a lot of efforts are put into making custom unit models, shaders and concept art. And many more are coming

It’s not just like importing something pre fabricated from 3rd party software.

Although you are right this is the case with the terrain, but things will evolve one after another.

Then these model need to be animated (mostly already done) and behaviors scripts to be created.

Then comes all the interfaces, icons and sound and we already have good progress there, but it’s still not mature enough to be shared with wide audience.

It’s not about just spreading the world that new game is in development. It’s mainly about receiving feedback from you the players. Because this is how the games should be created, based on people expectations.

It’s also obvious that it is very early stage of development so better get feedback early on then just waste our time, energy and money for something that is not interesting for anybody.

Why some things we looks similar… well maybe because indie dev team doesn’t have 100+ people teams which to make absolutely everything unique and one of the kind.

In any case all kind of comments are valuable to help us make a better game.

panzertoter

Arcane
BM-21 Battery – weapon of war, which is enormously widespread and capable of creating some real havoc, at least against lightly armored targets.

bm21u_grad.jpg

BM- 21 battery is consisted of eighteen forty-tube 122mm rocket launchers and they could bomb enemy positions with 720 rounds of non-persistent Sarin or Hydrogen Cyanide in a single 20 second salvo, reload and replicate that strike 10 minutes later.

BM-21 Battery used in War Cabinet Game is suitable for surprise attack against troop concentrations, strong points and command centers.

How would you counter BM-21 Battery?

WITH RAINBOW POWER OF CARENESS

0.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
You came here asking for feedback, and you sound like an ok guy, so I will give you feedback.
On the on hand you make it sound like you have planned everything ahead and know the formula for great games, on the other you show us pictures that are clearly taken from a prototype that could be done with a few weeks of work. You must decide, you can have one or the other, but not both. I immediately stop harassing any new developer who freely admits that he is basically just playing around, wants to try his hands on his first game, but has no clue yet.
But if someone comes with something as unsophisticated as this sample app, and then try to pretend they have already achieved something, I call bullshit.
I am not trying to imply you are doing the latter, but some statements on your website come off that way. Perhaps that's not what you want to achieve.

If you want to impress people by repeatedly writing how great your game will be, you will reap the opposite, at least on this forum.

CosPetia

Literate
You came here asking for feedback, and you sound like an ok guy, so I will give you feedback.
On the on hand you make it sound like you have planned everything ahead and know the formula for great games, on the other you show us pictures that are clearly taken from a prototype that could be done with a few weeks of work. You must decide, you can have one or the other, but not both. I immediately stop harassing any new developer who freely admits that he is basically just playing around, wants to try his hands on his first game, but has no clue yet.
But if someone comes with something as unsophisticated as this sample app, and then try to pretend they have already achieved something, I call bullshit.
I am not trying to imply you are doing the latter, but some statements on your website come off that way. Perhaps that's not what you want to achieve.

If you want to impress people by repeatedly writing how great your game will be, you will reap the opposite, at least on this forum.

Burning Bridges,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. We will have all of them in mind. My intension is not to impress anybody, but to show the War Cabinet game project to people playing games and see, what they really think, no matter if it is bad or good. There is no such think as bad feedback, each comment is important, because it shows if we go in to the right direction.

panzertoter

Arcane
Ok, your game should be:
1. turn-based
2. 'normal' difficulty = 'hard' difficulty
3. realistic
4. mod friendly
5. dlc-free

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom