Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wapanese RPG

Nihilism

Educated
Dragula said:
Both of those are only for PS3 so I can't play that anyway. As I said, I have a 360.

Demon's Souls is the best game on PS3. I'd trade for a PS3.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dragula said:
Raghar said:
Tales of eternia is fun. It starts with
sky falling, then it continues with a dark matter.
If you played Chrono trigger, Chrono cross can be nice. (Something like puzzle game mixed with RPG.)
Star Ocean 2. (Play Star Ocean first.)
Xenogears.
Legend of Mana.
Dragula said:
Wapanese games in the past I have enjoyed: Suikoden, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III.

Are you fucking stupid or something?
Have you heard about new game+?

Suicidal

Arcane
The Front Mission games are probably my favorite JRPGs ever. They're not pure JRPGs tho, but rather tactical games. The shitty plot and nonsensical psychobabble which JRPGs are famous for are minimal and the games mostly consist of turn-based battles and robot customization.

Out of the ones I've played there are FM1 on the SNES, FM3 on the Playstation and at the moment I'm in the middle of playing FM5 on a PS2 emulator. All of them are good games, especially for JRPG standards.

Also Front Mission 3 is basically 2 games in one - depending on a choice you make at some point in the beginning you play one of 2 completely different campaigns. There are also choices and consequences in the middle of those campaigns which influence what battles you fight, what characters you get, etc.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, I gave up JRPGs back when FFIX (which is technically a WRPG) came out. Recently I tried playing through Persona 4, and I realized they had only gotten worse since.

Dragula

Augur
Gerrard said:
The only wapanese RPGs I know of are Sudeki and Septerra Core.
1248697865875.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
Why did I ever like Ogre Battle (the SNES one), it's one of those RPGs where if you plan at all every fight in the game is a trivial blowout. Front Mission 3 is also like that. FFT is like that from 1/3rd of the game on. The only Japanese SRPG I can remember not disintegrating like that is Tactics Ogre, which you had to specifically grind to break IIRC

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
TO breaks when you're 5 levels above the enemy- you can solo 10-20 enemies with one guy at that point, and then you get a free level up at the end of the map for being the MVP. Rinse repeat. Likewise if you ever fall a few levels behind, you can look forward to some major grindan in training/random battles to catch up so the hit rates aren't 80/20 in favour of your enemies when you're attacking from behind with a ninja.

Try playing Ogre Battle ironman without letting your rep ever hit 0. Things get much more interesting when you can't just faceroll everything with liches.

Zomg

Arbiter
I didn't know levels were that big a deal, I vaguely remember being slighty underlevelled on every map if I never used the arena thing but maybe I was naive about using too many characters if one can steamroll

Reputation was incredibly easy to manage in OB or am I thinking of something else, you just have a unit like a cleric get max alignment by spamkilling undead and then you get reputation in large chunks by liberating towns with her. And in general your units are massively better than AI units even without liches/princesses/other completely broken shit because you had special characters with stat bonuses, you can use equipment, you have non-idiotic unit composition and arrangement, and attrition doesn't matter because of healing items.

Murk

Arcane
even a single level was a huge difference, 3 level difference often meant insta-win for the higher character, and if they had a dragon-scroll'd weapon equipped they were unstoppable. i remember soloing the end dungeon entirely with Denim wielding some earth sword and it was.... embarrassingly easy.

Zomg

Arbiter
Well chalk up TO as "accidentally a fun game because I didn't sperg the extra mile" then

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh yeah, I had fun on my first run through TO as well. But I can say the same about FFT or Ogre Battle. If you're going to cheese town liberation with a single 100 ALI char you built on killing undead at level 5 with a holy weapon, you're not playing any more fairly than someone that powerlevels their team or abusing save/reload to never lose a unit.

Healing items are for pussies btw. They break pretty much any game they're in if your inventory isn't harshly restricted. Real men just hire new troops and leave the corpses where they fall.

Zomg

Arbiter
Eh I don't buy the OB apology, someone that only read the manual is still gonna have to get balls-deep in totally mechanical manipulation of alignment and charisma to make the units he wants - just the way OB works - which is naturally going to result in the reputation strategy, I'm fairly sure I remember figuring it out on my own (and then I got a crown or undead ring somwhere and yeah)

The healing items thing is true however, it's one of those always-broken mechanics like in Fallout or Darklands

laclongquan

Arcane
Legend of Mana is one fun PS1-era JRPG. Its item crafting and character management is complex and require thoughts. Try it, faggots!

The kiddy-looking anime style is probably not to your taste, the way consensual rape in Sengoku Rance is.

Zomg

Arbiter
Is there one of those PSX-PS2 era SRPGs like FFT that is just BALANCED AS FUCK UNBREAKABLE? Even if they have to put it a bit on rails, that's fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom