Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wapanese RPG

Dragula

Augur
So are there any modern jRPGs that's worth playing? I tried Eternal Sonata, and holy crap that game sucked ass.

I have a 360 btw. Is Infinite Undiscovery worth? Or Enchanted Arms? Or Blue Dragon? Or something?

Wapanese games in the past I have enjoyed: Suikoden, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy VI.

bhlaab

Erudite
No, even people who like jrpgs hate every current gen jrpg because japanese people have forgotten how to make games.

try Mother 3

Broseidon

Educated
Woops. Sorry. Reading fail. Then I would have to say no. There are no good jrpgs.

Tales series usually have fun gameplay but generic story.

Blue Dragon is generic, but can be challenging on the hardest mode (free DLC, iirc) and has Toriyama's style like CT and CC.

Enchanted Arms is generic so far but I like the grid-based battles and the pokemon golem system.

zeitgeist

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
Enchanted Arms is generic so far but I like the grid-based battles and the pokemon golem system.

Seems somewhat interesting, does the grid system actually make battles tactical or is it mostly just for show?

Also, I've been hearing Lost Odyssey recommended as the best jRPG on the 360 a lot, and it's utterly horrible in every way. Don't fall for it.

Bruticis

I thought Lost Odyssey was decent. It's got an old school JRPG vibe to it. It's still a JRPG though, so at best it's mediocre.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tales of eternia is fun. It starts with
sky falling, then it continues with a dark matter.
If you played Chrono trigger, Chrono cross can be nice. (Something like puzzle game mixed with RPG.)
Star Ocean 2. (Play Star Ocean first.)
Xenogears.
Legend of Mana.

Kagero deception 2 is a must.

FFT.
Tactic Ogre.

(I doubt you'd survive Persona games on PS, the graphic is horrible.)

Dragula

Augur
Luzur said:
Turisas said:
Luzur said:
just go back to the Snes emulator and play the other million JRPGS.

But... they're all crap.

he asked for JRPG's, right?

also, Terranigma, Chronotrigger and Secret of Mana wasnt bad at all, actually very playable.
Terranigma is probably better than Chrono Trigger. And Final Fantasy VI was for SNES, and it's probably the best Final Fantasy ever.

Dragula

Augur
Raghar said:
Tales of eternia is fun. It starts with
sky falling, then it continues with a dark matter.
If you played Chrono trigger, Chrono cross can be nice. (Something like puzzle game mixed with RPG.)
Star Ocean 2. (Play Star Ocean first.)
Xenogears.
Legend of Mana.
Dragula said:
Wapanese games in the past I have enjoyed: Suikoden, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III.

Are you fucking stupid or something?

Murk

Arcane
Persona 2 had a pretty interesting combat system, and modern setting which is a neat change of pace from the usual technomagickkkk. Very anime tho.

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre are indeed awesome games, I'd also reccomend Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier 1 and 2 (2 especially), Azure Dreams (roguelike with city building elements + pokemon), Threads of Fate for some hack'n'slash light hearted fun, Ogre Battle (black queen), and Alundra (zelda 3 clone, but way better).

For SNES: Der Langrisser (squad based tactical jrpg), Terranigma (really fun zelda-like), Treasure Hunter G (has grid based turn based battle system that's somewhat like Rogue-likes), Romancing Saga 3 (non-linear as fuckkkk), Live-A-Live, Fire Emblem, Front Mission, ... there's a lot, to be honest. These are all fun ones too that aren't just FF or DW clones.

Based on your list, Dragula, I'd say you should try Treasure Hunter G (snes), Azure Dreams (ps1), and the GBA Remake of FF Adventure which is actually the first Seiken Densets game - the remake was much more like a mix of SD 3 and Legend of Mana, it was called Sword of Mana.

deuxhero

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne/Strange Journey/Devil Survivor/Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon are all solid, though they are less... "J" then other jRPGs.

(Persona 4 is also fun, though I doubt the Codex would like the dating sim parts)

The World Ends With You is playable, by no means perfect, but playable (the battle system is very good, the dialog ranges in quality but goodish most of the time, plus it mocks the jRPG character design "I wish I had more zippers... so I could tell you to ZIP IT.". Story would have been better if they stuck to a personal quest the whole game. Oh and Sho is awesome.)

Dragula

Augur
I can't believe noone has recommended Secret of Evermore, I actually have that, original and all somewhere. I might replay it. Damn good game.

Good thing I recommended it to myself.

zeitgeist said:
Seems somewhat interesting, does the grid system actually make battles tactical or is it mostly just for show?

Attacks cost points, so you may have to take positioning into account or you could spend a turn unable to do anything. Sometimes you're forced to step back to launch a long-range spell, or get closer to use a melee one. It's pretty fun so far, makes combat seem more lively than usual for a jrpg. There's also great character variety, everyone has their own skills, both humans and monsters.

Persona 2 had a pretty interesting combat system, and modern setting which is a neat change of pace from the usual technomagickkkk. Very anime tho.

Persona 2 is actually divided into two games; Innocent Sin got a complete fan translation a while ago, and Eternal Punishment had an actual release in english. The stories are related, but one is not necessary to understand the other. Persona 1 isn't too bad, either.

Oh, and there's somehing about IS.

P2-Hitler--article_image.jpg

edit: For the 360, there's also this, I played the demo and thought it was alright.

Operation Darkness is a tactical role-playing game for the Xbox 360 developed and published by Japanese studio Success on October 11, 2007 in Japan

It also contains some Hitler

opdarkhitler1--article_image.jpg

except he summons dragons to fight your werewolf soldiers and what the fuck

DevilTester1-imagex84--article_image.jpg

Murk

Arcane
Secret of Evermore's alchemy system was pretty righteous, also had the whole "dog companion" way ahead of the trend. Sept his dog was a fuggin' monstrous dire wolf looking bastard.

This just reinforces by reccomendation of Sword of Mana tho, pretty fun game.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Mikayel said:
Secret of Evermore's alchemy system was pretty righteous, also had the whole "dog companion" way ahead of the trend. Sept his dog was a fuggin' monstrous dire wolf looking bastard.

And then later turns into a poodle. BTW it was my first "JRPG".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom