Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wandering Sword - Octopath Traveler-like Wuxia-Style Open-World Pixel RPG

Sarathiour

Cipher
You can fail some quest and only get subpar reward, and a few things change depending on the order you do thing. A few companions got different outcome depending on your decision, including bad ones.
For crafting, my feedback is also that it's pretty much useless before Tier V, and kinda necessary afterward. There is also a few interactions hidden here and there, one of them give me busted cultivation method that allowed me to effortlessly win every fight in the "tourney arc".

The game made me reinstall tales of wuxia :)
By "different outcomes depending on your actions" I assume you mean "depending on whether you did their quest or not," rather than anything you specifically choose IN said quests, right? And what does "a few interactions" mean? It's a game, everything is an "interaction."
Depending on if you did the quest or not, but also on the given answers in a few case, or approach the objective in a completely different way. Trying to avoid spoiler too much, but
there is especially a retard that will insist on you sticking to the quest objective and don't do anything retarded, because he's planning to yolo in your back. So if you care about this fella, don't listen to him and take a good look at the world map

Generally speaking, there is a few hidden interaction that are kinda logic, but the game bait you into doing the main task asap, and even worth, timeskipped me out of nowhere on a single occasion. This is a shame, because those hidden things actually DO change the ending, but you're probably going to miss some without a guide.

notpl

Arbiter
You can fail some quest and only get subpar reward, and a few things change depending on the order you do thing. A few companions got different outcome depending on your decision, including bad ones.
For crafting, my feedback is also that it's pretty much useless before Tier V, and kinda necessary afterward. There is also a few interactions hidden here and there, one of them give me busted cultivation method that allowed me to effortlessly win every fight in the "tourney arc".

The game made me reinstall tales of wuxia :)
By "different outcomes depending on your actions" I assume you mean "depending on whether you did their quest or not," rather than anything you specifically choose IN said quests, right? And what does "a few interactions" mean? It's a game, everything is an "interaction."
Depending on if you did the quest or not, but also on the given answers in a few case, or approach the objective in a completely different way. Trying to avoid spoiler too much, but
there is especially a retard that will insist on you sticking to the quest objective and don't do anything retarded, because he's planning to yolo in your back. So if you care about this fella, don't listen to him and take a good look at the world map

Generally speaking, there is a few hidden interaction that are kinda logic, but the game bait you into doing the main task asap, and even worth, timeskipped me out of nowhere on a single occasion. This is a shame, because those hidden things actually DO change the ending, but you're probably going to miss some without a guide.
I'm asking you to spoil, though, because I beat the game already and want to know specifically what you mean.

hajro

Arbiter
why am i forced to be a righteous sect cuck in this game? Demonic cultivators have all the fun and rape all the women.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Well, direct spoiler then :
-Big J die if you do his quest his last quest the normal way. To avoid that, you have to go to the hun city directly, and take a detour by the north path instead of dragon valley
- Apparently, the fist club companion doesn't try to kill you if you avoid the 70 threshold.
- Beggar questline obviously have different outcome if you fight before investigating
- Failing to identify the right dude for wheelchair guy only lead to minor difference and lesser reward.

For the hidden interaction that I got :
-You can get the sword of your first master daughter by investigating the crib after your "meet her" again. There is apparently another interaction if you try to follow her to the south, but I missed it.
- Blue girl and red girl both have a +10 affection depending on wether you gave the correct answers when you go to the sword manor for the first time.
- Hidden scene if you try to meet red girl just after she save you from the cave collapse by going to the cult BEFORE resting, ie don't go see kids otherwise event proceed and a month automatically pass. give 10 affect
- this one is kinda hinted, but the "hot bitch" at revelations cave is red girl, you need to do the whole sidequest of the bald retard AND turn at the entrance of the cave, go back to the end and take the right path. You met her again, give 20 affect.
- When you shifu send you back to the dorm after the new of moqui killing he traitor, don't go back to the dorm, turn back and go talk to your shifu again, he will tell you that mowen went to meet someone at the beggar sect. Go meet him, +10 affect.
- While your are farming your credit for the promotion of martial artist, you can start a sidequest to try to cheer up blue girl.+20 affect

Fate of those 4 character depend on your affection, haven't reached the ending yet, can't really tell you what happen, but it's apparently just some small variation.

deama

Prophet
So far been playing it for a bit and pretty decent, I like the game systems it's got in place.
I don't particularly like the main character too much though, too goody-too-shoes, wish they would do an "evil" campaign or something.

The other gripe I have with the game is the progression in terms of the story/narrative.
Storywise it's been like a year or two, but some of my class mates are basically the same, and other cultivators are the same also, it's a pretty weird.

I think instead they should have gone with a "scaling" system, where every e.g. day you gain exp for a generic lvl that increases general stats, and when you acquire these special pills, inner cultivations etc... it acts as an exp % boost, this way it would simulate progression, not just for you, but others too, whilst actually giving you a more real progression in the form of your character starting to advance faster than others.

Possibly though they may have had to try an even crazier system, from playing these wuxia games so far, I get the impression that in the "lore", this qi/chi stuff is very dynamic, and a guy that's been training for decades, could lose it almost in an instant. It seems to be moreso about knowledge rather than literal power where the real progression lies.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, in most wuxia lore it's entirely possible to cripple someone who was a the peak of martial art into an absolute nobody, and you will actually run into someone like that later on in the game.

jungl

Augur
I prefer the fist club guy dying because he learned more about himself. Some of those cultivation methods are game breaking op like the shaolin one that gives a huge absorb damage shield you can constantly reapply.

deama

Prophet
Yeah, in most wuxia lore it's entirely possible to cripple someone who was a the peak of martial art into an absolute nobody, and you will actually run into someone like that later on in the game.
I'm wondering though, is it easy to come back from that? Like, they can cripple your like qi channels/points to hinder the flow etc... but can you not reverse that? By unblocking it per sey?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Anytime I run across that, it's just being used as a plot device anyway. So generally speaking no, but just like death in other works of fiction, plot will dictate that they got better afterward if the need ever arise.

deama

Prophet
Anytime I run across that, it's just being used as a plot device anyway. So generally speaking no, but just like death in other works of fiction, plot will dictate that they got better afterward if the need ever arise.
I was moreso talking about through the lore itself, the ancient chinese wuxia stuff.

jungl

Augur
I'm wondering though, is it easy to come back from that? Like, they can cripple your like qi channels/points to hinder the flow etc... but can you not reverse that? By unblocking it per sey?
Qiáozhì·lú kǎ sī who invented most of wuxia stuff said its mostly determined by their midiqilorian count how successful a martial artist is.

deama

Prophet
Qiáozhì·lú kǎ sī who invented most of wuxia stuff said its mostly determined by their midiqilorian count how successful a martial artist is.
Invented? I thought it was a real part of their history no? Like writings in legend or something like that.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Invented? I thought it was a real part of their history no? Like writings in legend or something like that.

As musou king said the name mentioned there is Goerge Lucas. midiqilorian -> this should be a dead give away

That being said wuxia as a genre is indeed old in the sense that story about martial artist doing stuffs, but what we have today is mostly based on the 1950+ emergence of the genre. The fact that you can get your martial arts "destroyed" and all is common plot point and as mentioned there really isn't a concrete rule on whether you can recover after that.

jungl

Augur
Not everything is as it seems yes goerge lucas helped create most wu xia stuff with authors like jin yong in the 70s. I couldn't believe it either but neither how macabre some of the children cartoons I watched as a kid https://youtu.be/wYWv9lr_dS8

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So I didn't remove this from the inventory and I have to say I'm very positively surprised. Once you get past the beginning the game is very open in what it allows you to do. I will probably buy it soon.

Retardo

Learned
So, what's your impression guys, is it actually good?
Any CnC, build variability, proper exploration, wild shit like in amazing cultivation sim?
Does it let you roleplay a wuxia/xianxia young master and collect a harem of heavenly jade beauties?

deama

Prophet
So, what's your impression guys, is it actually good?
Any CnC, build variability, proper exploration, wild shit like in amazing cultivation sim?
Does it let you roleplay a wuxia/xianxia young master and collect a harem of heavenly jade beauties?
Fairly standard jrpg with a wuxia twist basically.
There didn't seem to be any CnC, maybe some side quests gave you some?
Only romance you get is from the main quest.
Story is nothing special.
There are some side bosses you can find to kill if you get bored.
There's some other side activities like acquiring various cultivation forms or techniques, or even finding them by exploring etc... but they sort of screwed it a bit cause the main one you get from main quest is the best one and it gets better the more you go through the main quest.
Has a nice challenge system where you can challenge random NPCs you meet, a bit rough though cause you need to give them "gifts" to do it, but still.
Combat mechanics are decent, sort of a turnbased with a few spins.
I also like the leveling system, it's a combination of finding stronger cultivation forms, unlocking meridians, and eating pills to give you perma stats, fits the setting well.

Overall a decent game that setups the groundwork for something real good, if they ever follow up with a sequel.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
There is some C&C, I finished last month and end up with yao ji helping me for the final battle. It's still pretty minor though and I was so absurdly OP that it didn't really matter.

deama

Prophet
Yeah, definitely could use a sequel where you play as a proper villian that isn't afraid to murder etc...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1700868345922.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Considering the game doesn't have multiple path (not even about evil sect, just maybe different major path) i guess I'll hold on playing until Ultimate Edition

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just finished this, excellent little jrpg.

It was a little disappointing how little areas were fleshed out after you leave the starting villages but for the depth of the systems I think the length of the game was just about perfect.

Would love a sequel that built on those systems with maybe a slightly more involved story but overall an excellent first effort.

They should drop crafting and fishing though.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Southern Chronicles Major Update - NOW LIVE!
Greetings Swordsmen!

We hope this message finds you ready for a whole new epic adventure because the Southern Chronicles Major Update is now LIVE! This update is packed with an array of new content and features designed to immerse you deeper into the world of Wandering Sword, so let’s dive right in and discover what’s new!

NEW Side Storyline - The Southern Chronicles

Your journey takes an exciting turn after meeting new companions from Wuxian Sect in the depths of Monkey Woods. You will find yourself plunged into a crisis involving the various Nanjiang tribes, Pili School, and even the Imperial Court. Venture deep into the mysterious Nanjiang, exploring new areas fraught with dangers and unprecedented monsters. Here, every step is a challenge, and every challenge is an opportunity to prove your mettle.

Prepare to encounter new characters and recruit martial artists who will either stand by your side as your most trusted allies or block your path as daunting adversaries. This journey is more than a test of strength—it's a quest to discover the true essence of heroism. How will your decisions shape the world around you?

Embarking On This New Adventure
f4c8a2035667d083351d7f84c49d889eba745da3.png

There are 3 different methods to trigger the Southern Chronicles side storyline, all of which are detailed here in our Steam Guide. You can continue your adventure from an existing save, but we recommend using a save before the quest "[MAIN STORY] Become Martial Disciple."

For those of you who do not have a suitable save file, fret not! We've prepared a special save file with instructions just for you here, ensuring that everyone can immediately jump into this exciting new side storyline.

Together with this new side storyline, here are some new features you can look forward to as well!

New Difficulty Modes
d1fac411cfc870a9dc1895da635ea4e1829cf0de.jpg

Prepare to tailor your martial arts journey to your liking with the difficulty selection feature! We’ve included multiple difficulty levels for you to select from, ranging from Easy, Normal (default), Hard, and Extreme. In higher difficulty modes, not only are the enemies’ stats adjusted, but they have enhanced senses to detect you when you are near them. However, your resilience will be rewarded with boosted Inheritance Points and rewards. This feature empowers you to shape your own legendary path in Wandering Sword, ensuring every journey is as relaxing or as adrenaline-fueled as you desire.

New Game +

For the veterans out there, every adventure heralds a new beginning! After completing the game, you will earn Inheritance Points. When starting a New Game after completing a full playthrough, you will begin your journey from the all new Inheritance Library, where you can then use your Inheritance points to exchange them for coins, meridian points, martial points, initial equipment, etc. Now, you’ll be ever-ready for your next playthrough!

Should you encounter any bugs during your gameplay, please do not hesitate to send in your bug report through this link. Our team is dedicated to ensuring that your Wandering Sword journey is smooth and enjoyable.

Special Offer: Steam Spring Sale Discount!

To celebrate the launch of the Southern Chronicles major update and to coincide with the Steam Spring Sale, we are excited to offer a 12% discount on Wandering Sword from March 14th 10AM PST to April 4th 10AM PST. If you’ve been waiting for the perfect moment to dive into our world or if you’re thinking of sharing this adventure with a friend, now is the best time!

Lastly, we extend our heartfelt thanks for your patience and support. It's our hope that this update not only meets but exceeds your expectations. We are committed to continuously refining the game to ensure it delivers the best possible experience for you.

Thank you for being a part of this adventure with us, and don’t forget to follow us on our socials!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom