Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wandering Sword - Octopath Traveler-like Wuxia-Style Open-World Pixel RPG

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Edit: pricing will be $25, with a small discount for release window, at $22.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

So this guy's biggest complaint about the game is that he found himself constantly jumping around different quests because his team just wasn't strong enough to progress through an entire questline from start to finish at one go, sound like a challenging game then, nice!

His other criticisms are the overwhelming inventory management and lack of sound feedback for special moves, nothing I can't withstand, guess this may be a "buy" for me.

Jinn

Arcane
Honestly really like the idea of side-quests not being able to immediately be completed due to difficulty gates/spikes, and that you have to manage several ongoing ones at once.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Buying this and gonna enjoy it over the weekend

It is very JRPG ish in design so you having to wait or grind is something natural I guess

Jinn

Arcane
Any wuxia bros playing this want to tell me if it's good or not? Thinking of picking it up tonight, because it certainly looks like something I want to support, but lord knows I've been burned by Chinese RPGs before.

ADL

Prophet
I'm interested but too many games right now. I'll play it in six months. Seems to be getting positive user reviews.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Launch sale is until Septemer 21. I will wait for impressions.

Jinn

Arcane
Well, 12k+ concurrent players on steam right now. They probably don't need my support all that much with numbers like that. Happy for them! Guess I'll patiently wait for impressions too - and maybe even some future patching.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No one, eh? Damn.

I have bought it but I am still in the tutorial section (which the demo was)

So far it's the same game, maybe will get through the tutorial and starts to see the actual meat of it today if I have the time

Sarathiour

Cipher
Also bought it, but I don't think I will have the time to give a decent feedback before the end of september at the earliest.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
No one, eh? Damn.
I tried it out but it wasn't impressing me.

Ui is horrible and controls are bad. Combat is easy, tedious, and frequent. There's a real time mode but it's impossible to control. At least your companions run off AI so it quicker. Leveling system is interesting but I didn't get far enough to dig into it. I do enjoy the cultivation mythos because it's different from western or jap stuff, and the character names like 'iron wolf of the heaven conquering hotdog' or whatever.

If I didn't have 2 million other games to play I may dig into it more but it's hard to take this over sea of stars or even chained echoes.

musouking

Novice
Patron
8hrs played I stuck at the main quest of Elite Disciple trial. I am not sure if it's challenging or I chose perks incorrectly. Duing to my understanding of the leveling system, the material poiont which is Exp can be put into limited material arts and only cultivation method increase your meridian points which gives you perks. Seems grinding is not necessary because you only get new equipment with material points of side quests enough gained. I will retstart and not grind as I can.
The combat is incomplete and lack of strategy. The characters in combat have no front or behind but left and right direction can take more damage from side and back, And you can't adjust direction after move WTF.
Some side quests are interesting, some challenging if you start it without delay. I would rate it higher if you can choose Affiliation freely in main quests and have dynamic scale for side quests. But no, it only has the open-world map. As a $10 indie wuxia rpg with no early access nor non-translation, I would't ask more requirement. May come back update my reviews after beat the game.

Last edited:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
i m a big wuxia fan, tbh i keep thinking about creating a post in the codex with chinese games with decent fan translations. there are some gems, and since i ve discovered so much good shit thanks to this site it would be only fair to make a effort to show some of those to ppl

i ll post my opinion about this when i finish it. that said, so far i m having fun and i m really happy that the game seems to have sold a decent amount, which perhaps will make more chinese devs translate their shit

only thing i ll leave here now is a information i wish the game gave a tutorial about, if you befriend a npc you can pay martial points and 60 stamina for them to teach skills for you. that s really relevant since there s many moves you can only learn this way, including many cultivation methods mid game. hell even early game learning the shield method from the spear guy is pretty useful

jungl

Augur
The game is very bin chillin so far. I'm enjoying it more then baldurs gay but lets be honest baldurs simp 3 is not a actual game. Its the video game equivalent of those dudes that go conventions to sit around to hear a cute girl they are not fucking and will never be their wife talk about nerd shit. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2_KUhc-N1XU?feature=share

Wandering sword is basically like octopath traveler but slightly more interesting. Character advancement is cool finding manuals and donkey tiger penis pills to enhance your guys stats/martial arts. Totally beats the boring shit that is 5E DND. The combat is challenging which is good and the turn based plus real time mode are actually decently implemented. You can juke the AI in real time and the developers pulled it off where some boss fights may be easier in real time or turn based so you find yourself switching between the modes throughout the game. All in all the combat systems provide more entertainment then faggot gate 3 where combat revolves exploiting the dumb ai targeting the mage character in the party. My impressions may change coming mid late game but its a good product.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Playing a console-style game I naturally assumed it was built for controllers but it actually controls much better with K&M. My bad I guess.

I think there's a lot of presentation elements that could be improved, feels amateurish. Things like the combat moves not having a lot of heft or feeling of reaction when striking foes, and enemies just blinking out of existence when killed instead of having death animations or even some kind of smoke or particle effect.

The game sure loves having you get beaten by a stronger foe then saved by an even stronger foe. Think that happens 3-4 times in the intro alone, plus again during the next story quests.

Jinn

Arcane
Sounds like it'll be good to pick up during a deep discount sometime in the future. Thank you for the impressions, fellas!

musouking

Novice
Patron
you get beaten by a stronger foe
It happens too often I am getting annoyed. Sometimes you can lose sometimes you can't. Even you grind to win a must-lose fight just reward more affinity and nothing else make it more frustrating.
They didn't learn from the demo feedback, it seems.
They learned to make side and back attack bouns but a mess

Another 8 hours played I found out there are several ways to complete quest lead to different stories. Don't know if it affects later but excite me a lot. When I finally became the Elite Disciple with more side quests completed, some side quests in process disappear after the mian quests pushed. Noooo

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom