Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wandering Sword - Octopath Traveler-like Wuxia-Style Open-World Pixel RPG

musouking

Novice
Patron
Toooooo many side quests and some affect companions ending. Some non-difference options at the beginning village confused me, so many options lead different results. I missed a lot of secrets and side stories after peeking walkthrough and I can't go back to pick them up. Fuck the open-world map but linear storyline.
The story is uhhh good? Not bad anyway, my words are so poor.
Recommanded for every RPG lovers, It desreves a try.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Toooooo many side quests and some affect companions ending. Some non-difference options at the beginning village confused me, so many options lead different results. I missed a lot of secrets and side stories after peeking walkthrough and I can't go back to pick them up. Fuck the open-world map but linear storyline.
The story is uhhh good? Not bad anyway, my words are so poor.
Recommanded for every RPG lovers, It desreves a try.
Can you elaborate on this at all? The game feels linear as hell to me and I'm curious what you mean. All the plot areas are gated off until you reach certain points in the main story, side quests that seem like they should lead into the main quest so far have all ended with really trivial outcomes, etc., so I'd like to know if I'm missing something. Twice now I've met NPCs representing other factions in the game, done a quest for them which implied they'd take me to a new section of the map, and then the MC just goes "Ah, no, nevermind" and I get yet another garbage procgem item as a reward and that's the end of it.

Last edited:

musouking

Novice
Patron
Can you elaborate on this at all? The game feels linear as hell to me and I'm curious what you mean. All the plot areas are gated off until you reach certain points in the main story, side quests that seem like they should lead into the main quest so far have all ended with really trivial outcomes, etc., so I'd like to know if I'm missing something. Twice now I've met NPCs representing other factions in the game, done a quest for them which implied they'd take me to a new section of the map, and then the MC just goes "Ah, no, nevermind" and I get yet another garbage procgem item as a reward and that's the end of it.
Where your main story process reach and can you be more specific for MC example? Thanks
I don't want to get spoiled totally myself so I haven't read the whole walkthrough. All I know is from comparion since I played twice.
The game is anticlimactic that series side quests in prior and middle part are easy to miss or finished unperfectly especially. I guess not finish quests in proper order affects the reward. The perfect ending reward should be generous such like material art books.
Seems EVERY companion has new quests when certain affinity get with. Check it out if you miss or not.

EDIT:Seems like the game has stage hint
stage 1
1695094900319.jpeg

Stage 2
1695094956206.jpeg

Last edited:

musouking

Novice
Patron
Rean play this shit my friend so many cute waifus you can date with have side story with
20230919100010_1.jpg20230919100014_1.jpg20230919100016_1.jpg20230919100019_1.jpg20230919100021_1.jpg20230919100022_1.jpg
20230919100750_1.jpg

20230919095750_1.jpg

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
went in as a prcrpg virgin
so, master li of the howling wind clan from the sand mountains, one of the 4 red crows, stole immortal cloud technique from master li, the whispering tiger of the glistering sparrows sect who is planning an attack with general li but commander li...
wtf is this shit, i fuckin love it
no place for bandits and other vermin in my world
men call you brother, women want your children
even the ugliest people are better looking than western protags

already bought other wuxia games from steam, same fucking shit
when the first questgiver asks you to bring 5 pieces of dog meat you know it's going to be a great game
next step is to learn mandarin and leave wrpg faggotry behind

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
went in as a prcrpg virgin
so, master li of the howling wind clan from the sand mountains, one of the 4 red crows, stole immortal cloud technique from master li, the whispering tiger of the glistering sparrows sect who is planning an attack with general li but commander li...
wtf is this shit, i fuckin love it
no place for bandits and other vermin in my world
men call you brother, women want your children
even the ugliest people are better looking than western protags

already bought other wuxia games from steam, same fucking shit
when the first questgiver asks you to bring 5 pieces of dog meat you know it's going to be a great game
next step is to learn mandarin and leave wrpg faggotry behind

https://store.steampowered.com/app/952860/_Ho_Tu_Lo_Shu__The_Books_of_Dragon/

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I really, really want a wuxia version of Battle Brothers.

-pokes gaming scene-

Come on, gimme the thing. I don't want to have to make this too, I've already got too many pots burning.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Apparently some pills got a limit on how many you are able to take, should I need to wait for higher grade one, or does it not matter ?

Jinn

Arcane
I'm confused. Is the game mediocre or not?

Modron, you've been shilling the game to high heaven. How about some solid impressions?

Modron

Arcane
Haven't started it yet, finishing off other stuff before I do my impressions were of the demo.

notpl

Arbiter
I'm confused. Is the game mediocre or not?

Modron, you've been shilling the game to high heaven. How about some solid impressions?
"Mediocre" is a good word for it. One or two people have claimed the game has a high degree of freedom but requires exploration, and refuse to elaborate and provide any concrete examples, so I think it's just a lie and the game really is a boring linear jrpg slog exactly like it appears. The only variable is that some companions are missable, but you can only use a few of them anyway and they don't contribute much. Combat is extremely simplistic and mostly boils down to whether you've found one of the overpowered invincibility/life drain abilities yet - which you do by walking up to an NPC, spamming them with gifts, then clicking "consult" and buying the technique with xp from a menu. It's a gorgeous game aesthetically, and as a wuxia story it isn't TERRIBLE, but I've been extremely disappointed with the lack of freedom and the MC's rigid mr. nice guy generic personality. To make matters worse, the game frequently teases you with what SHOULD be interesting choices: you meet characters from other sects, can do quests for them and befriend them, and they'll even say "oh, you should come work for us!" but it never goes anywhere. They probably had a much more interesting, branching plot planned out initially and then scrapped 90% of it to meet a deadline. It's so boring it makes me pine for bioware-style "save the puppy/KICK THE PUPPY!" alignment shit, the absolute lowest possible bar for roleplaying.

Last edited:

musouking

Novice
Patron
refuse to elaborate and provide any concrete examples
Here is a https://docs.qq.com/sheet/DRVdoV1JOdlZmeG9j?tab=8vs4wr of all side quests and all endinds so far explored by community, hope it helps. You won't get spoiled without auto-translation.
Sorry did I say that
Fuck the open-world map but linear storyline.
get your misunderstanding? The game is definely linear. I thought that main story pushed you will lose side quests so isn't that encourage exploration?
One example secret for myself, After you kill a mini boss in Mount Tigeroar, go back to Qinghe Village and someone will tell about him. There is no hint about this and I am sure there must be other sercets I misssed.

Once again, the game is anticlimactic. As an indie RPG, it has the complete but anticlimactic main story, 3 solid and long series side quests that have conspicuous hints you won't miss. It kills me 40 hours and myself is satisfied with it considering its price. I keep my opinion that it deserve a try.

the lack of freedom and the MC's rigid mr
Yes, it's true. I said that you can't choose Affiliation freely. I'm wrong, they didn't even make it. The game has the frame of open-world wuxia but in deep it's linear RPG now time.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Nearly fifteen hours in, it's quite charming tough flawed. The combat system has potential, too bad that you're mostly facing legion of trash mob. There is some kind of color system giving you a rough estimation of the opposition power level, but I don't find it reliable, I normally don't have difficulty winning against yellow, but did got my ass kicked by mob appearing in green and even white (probably because I did not have full party).

Lot of dicking around to do, but it's probably too much at some point. What's the point of having TEN different tier of equipment AND a rarity system on top of that ? It just create needless clutter, and certainly does not help making the crafting system feels worthwhile. Crafting equipment are very good on paper, but you probably won't get the blueprint before starting looting the next tier of item. You need to be on the prowl to look after people strong enough to carry a good blueprint, but weak enough to won against them in a spar.

Speaking of powerlevel, MC is nerfed compared to the rest of the cast, and I'm not sure why, everyone got highest base stat for a given powerlevel. Meteoric ascension is one staple of the genre, but it steel feel weird to rise from apprentice to master in a couple of day.

Don't forget to save before entering any city of new map, because you might trigger event that you won't be able to beat.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Nearly fifteen hours in, it's quite charming tough flawed. The combat system has potential, too bad that you're mostly facing legion of trash mob. There is some kind of color system giving you a rough estimation of the opposition power level, but I don't find it reliable, I normally don't have difficulty winning against yellow, but did got my ass kicked by mob appearing in green and even white (probably because I did not have full party).

Lot of dicking around to do, but it's probably too much at some point. What's the point of having TEN different tier of equipment AND a rarity system on top of that ? It just create needless clutter, and certainly does not help making the crafting system feels worthwhile. Crafting equipment are very good on paper, but you probably won't get the blueprint before starting looting the next tier of item. You need to be on the prowl to look after people strong enough to carry a good blueprint, but weak enough to won against them in a spar.

Speaking of powerlevel, MC is nerfed compared to the rest of the cast, and I'm not sure why, everyone got highest base stat for a given powerlevel. Meteoric ascension is one staple of the genre, but it steel feel weird to rise from apprentice to master in a couple of day.

Don't forget to save before entering any city of new map, because you might trigger event that you won't be able to beat.

imo

crafting is only worth it at the higher levels of gear when not only shit does not drop but crafting bonuses get ultra bonkers. tier 5-4 and above.

mob difficulty color is actually funny, i ve seen the color change in real time and yeah it does not mean shit. i ve seen fodder as yellow and bonker tier too

mc is nerfed but he s the only one who can learn all skills. mid to late game he s easily the strongest character, but yeah he s the weakest early. i guess i ve read something about that being the result of companions being shit feedback? anyway the worst part of this is that some early companions suffer from low base stats versus mid to late ones

and yeah i softlocked myself once in a fight that s winnable ( but really hard by the time you get there ) by getting trapped in a quest because i did not save for a hour or so

RegionalHobo

Scholar
As for the game itself, i ve finished it and had a lot of fun . The main problem is obviously the fact there s no choice and consequence, you can t control mc behavior, etc. It s static plotwise, besides companion related shit and even then it s usually minor things you can change. The best part imo is the mid game side quest exploration i had fun doing the side quests and with the spar/consult shit system of leveling the character. Plot and lore is decent enough for me, but i m suspect as far as the setting goes. Combat is basic, but i don t remember playing a turn based game that s not, if you expect tactics shit because of the grid then forget it. Art is pretty good, translation is decent enough for a Chinese game ( those who play this type of games know that even with many mistakes this translation is actually much better than what we have to deal with ). Replayability is low, sure you can pick another weapon to use which ll change your experience ( but not that much since you ll use the same cultivation methods/passives ) but this by itself is not enough when the plot is 100% static. It s similar to octopath in more ways than the art, and imo better than it.

i guess it s a 7 or 8/10, a rare situation where i feel i must drop points because of the obvious limitations of the project and not because i did not have fun. it was a good surprise and hopefully rogue trader is good too, because the biggest aaa releases this year kinda disappointed me pretty bad.

if you liked this or is just looking for something in the setting to play , look for tale/path of wuxia, scrolls of taiwu and immortal way of life/觅长生 ( my favorite chinese game ).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The main problem is obviously the fact there s no choice and consequence, you can t control mc behavior, etc. It s static plotwise, besides companion related shit and even then it s usually minor things you can change.

You mean it's not pretentious garbage where a premade binary path makes you feel the illusion of choice is something actually present.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really, really want a wuxia version of Battle Brothers.

not exactly Battle Brothers because there are much more management involved but you can try From Juanghu. There is EN FanTL too but it is running in old Unity so Xunity Autotranslator also works for untranslated parts.

It is uuuh basically Mount and Blade + Tale of Wuxia with turn based tactical combat with base building

Graphics is non existent tho which is a shame

Sarathiour

Cipher
You can fail some quest and only get subpar reward, and a few things change depending on the order you do thing. A few companions got different outcome depending on your decision, including bad ones.
For crafting, my feedback is also that it's pretty much useless before Tier V, and kinda necessary afterward. There is also a few interactions hidden here and there, one of them give me busted cultivation method that allowed me to effortlessly win every fight in the "tourney arc".

The game made me reinstall tales of wuxia :)

notpl

Arbiter
You can fail some quest and only get subpar reward, and a few things change depending on the order you do thing. A few companions got different outcome depending on your decision, including bad ones.
For crafting, my feedback is also that it's pretty much useless before Tier V, and kinda necessary afterward. There is also a few interactions hidden here and there, one of them give me busted cultivation method that allowed me to effortlessly win every fight in the "tourney arc".

The game made me reinstall tales of wuxia :)
By "different outcomes depending on your actions" I assume you mean "depending on whether you did their quest or not," rather than anything you specifically choose IN said quests, right? And what does "a few interactions" mean? It's a game, everything is an "interaction."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom