Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review VD holds forth on Dragon Age Quest Design

Ch1ef

Scholar
^Hey! I was there all the time!
See? it's impossible to prove anything to some who already knows the answer before asking. Be it Volourn or bio-haters
Awww.

Monocause

Arcane
Ch1ef is a perfect example of how stupid a lack of forum moderation can get. Leave cussing, swearing and flaming alone, but *always* ban morons who fail even at trolling.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Monocause said:
Ch1ef is a perfect example of how stupid a lack of forum moderation can get. Leave cussing, swearing and flaming alone, but *always* ban morons who fail even at trolling.
:facepalm:
Oh, so now questions about DA is a trolling. Indeed, why someone wants to know something about game that is perfect. Like, duuuh.

hiver

I think dropping hints about the Brood Mother early on, prior to even reaching Orzammar would have given the encounter a better payoff. Instead, you find out about it in the last section of corridor crawling prior to the fight.
According to the story of it itself, that would not be possible.

Spoiler:

As you know Brood mother is actually one dwarven females that got thus horribly mutated by Darkspawn that Branka semi-controled and also abused, in that area.
The little creepy female dwarf also tells you how degradating and disgusting that process was, if you bother to talk to her about it. Its not a long exchange but tells you enough about darkspawn spewing their bile into their mouths, feeding them with it etc.- which took long time. And soiling them completly in other convincing ways that were mentioned or hinted at.

-end Spoler.

You shouldnt be able to hear anything about her outside Deep roads and maybe Orzamar itself. Not even all members of that long lost expedition know or knew what happened to her and all the rest are dead or gone too far.
So it would be stretching it having even someone in Orzamar knowing about her.

The only problem with Brood mother were the tentacles and shoving her into a mini boss role in that way.

If it was me i would at least make her turn against darkspawn attacking you half way through the fight then insisting you kill her, preventing you from leaving and fighting you to force you to kill her... or something.

Monocause

Arcane
Ch1ef said:
Monocause said:
Oh, so now questions about DA is a trolling. Indeed, why someone wants to know something about game that is perfect. Like, duuuh.

You're a retard who probably got kicked out of 4Chan. This has nothing to do with DA. This is because your 600+ posts are one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth I've ever seen.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Monocause said:
Ch1ef said:
Monocause said:

You're a retard who probably got kicked out of 4Chan. This has nothing to do with DA. This is because your 600+ posts are one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth I've ever seen.
Go fuck yourself. Пидар ебучий.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bluebottle said:
Satori said:
JarlFrank said:
I agree with VD mostly. Quest design was generally very good for a mainstream title.
Unfortunatelty the whole quest-board/quest-person drags it down to the level of lazy design...
I see the board quests as an element that is designed to appeal to someone else, namely MMO players...
Job boards are a traditional and universally- and Codex-approved RPG element.

You still remember grandpa Saint, don't you kids?

Stalin

Scholar
Monocause said:
you're retard if you think you can get kicked out of 4 chan

Monocause

Arcane
Stalin said:
you're retard if you think you can get kicked out of 4 chan

You're a retard if you don't realise that it was the most insulting part of my post.

obediah

Erudite
Lockkaliber said:
He's not wrong, the design of the quests is good. What ultimately kills it though is that the writing that is supposed to make the quests seem compelling, is so bland and generic that it's very hard to immerse yourself in the gameworld. In other words: if they want to make a story-driven game, find someone who can write for shit.

*dingdingding*

shit combat + verbose boring writing = me too uninterested to care about quests

Every time I sit down to play the game, I either encounter a lot of boring, repetitive combat and quit to do something interesting. Or I start to read some horrible wall of text and quit the game to go read a real book.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh, so now questions about DA is a trolling."

It is when you already 'know' the answer will not please you. There is no reply to your question outside of 'DA is shit' that you would agree with. That's why it's trolling. You weren't asking a question but simply looking for another oppurtunity to tash BIO and DA. 8shrug*

Nothing wrong with that as, sure, that cna be fun, but be honest about the fact that you don't want honest discussion.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Biowhore blows, Dragon Age is for dumbfucks.

See, i don't need trolling to say that. Your argument is invalid.

Hah, lozerz.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Or I start to read some horrible wall of text and quit the game to go read a real book.
800px-Picturebook1.JPG

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
VD is actually correct, however he had chosen the wrong quest.

Like someone said above, the problem with the Redclife quest is that you can leave for the Circle of Magi or some-other-place, but the boy will still be locked in his room until you come back. Because of this, the entire enter-Fade-save-boy quest is feeling artificial and unnecessary. This is a thing that it will break immersion for an experienced gamer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not enough to damage it comapred to most other games absolutely shittiness ala FO, BG2, or PST.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
toro said:
VD is actually correct, however he had chosen the wrong quest.

Like someone said above, the problem with the Redclife quest is that you can leave for the Circle of Magi or some-other-place, but the boy will still be locked in his room until you come back. Because of this, the entire enter-Fade-save-boy quest is feeling artificial and unnecessary. This is a thing that it will break immersion for an experienced gamer.
First, when you are told about the Circle, you are told that it's only a day away, which makes the trip logical. Second, for it to "break immersion for an experienced gamer", all other games should handle the effect of long trips on quests better, which they don't.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:
Not enough to damage it comapred to most other games absolutely shittiness ala FO, BG2, or PST.

none of these game were shitty, stop lying

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom