Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review VD holds forth on Dragon Age Quest Design

relootz

Scholar
Interesting VD. I didnt know the quest with the boy had so many possibilities. Dragon age doesnt disappoint in that area, but it does in combat encounters.

denizsi

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
denizsi said:
Anyone to argue that a game like Grim Fandango isn't pure art, deserves to be lobotomised.
How about: "Not all games are art. In fact, most games aren't, but every now and then you see something really special and artsy, like Grim Fandango, for example"?

Unless you have picked the word "artsy" intentionally, ok. As far as my experience with the word "artsy" goes, it almost always implies pretending to be about art, the subject itself dealing with the concept of art and some intellectual masturbation over it. Grim Fandango has none of that. Other than hitting every nostalgy button someone big on 40s Hollywood might have and entertaining people witty dialogue and general humour,the game features exclusive and very good music, an elegant story and visuals with a unique vision through out the whole game that couldn't possibly be communicated as good in any other form, especially not in any static medium.

Even if you don't view the game so highly and not get moved the same way I have, I think you'll recognize that it does provide a finely crafted and at least partly unique vision masterfully brought together that couldn't be told otherwise, which in my opinion, elevates it to some form of art. I wouldn't really want anyone to be lobotomized over that, though.

Naked Ninja said:
It wasn't art. It was a logical puzzle, a form of intellectual entertainment. Wrapped in style, wit and imagination, certainly. But first and foremost it was a piece of digital entertainment.

Bluebottle and BN has expressed it beautifully, so I'll just say:

Prepare for lobotomy squad. There's no escape. Resistance is futile.

/hijack

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
denizsi said:
Vault Dweller said:
denizsi said:
Anyone to argue that a game like Grim Fandango isn't pure art, deserves to be lobotomised.
How about: "Not all games are art. In fact, most games aren't, but every now and then you see something really special and artsy, like Grim Fandango, for example"?

Unless you have picked the word "artsy" intentionally, ok.
Unintentionally.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Almost done. I wanted to give Darth's Risen review a proper window for discussions but apparently nobody wants to talk about it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Brother None said:
But fair's fair in saying there's nothing stopping games from being art (implying that them being pieces of entertainment primarily somehow would stop them from being art is a rather odd view that completely misses the evolution of art throughout history, NN). And I like it when people have the single-mindedness to say "this game is art" (not so much when this is followed by "and anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot/should die") as certainly that's a perfectly valid interpretation of art through personal experience.

An amazing sane view.

On that note, though, did you play Pathologic in a rendition that's... well, comprehensible? I've no idea what languages you speak, but I'm guessing it wasn't the English version you played.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Almost done. I wanted to give Darth's Risen review a proper window for discussions but apparently nobody wants to talk about it.

Yes, because all the carebears only want to discuss hated stuff by Bioware, because it gives kool kredits :x

Hypocrites.

Also, MoraNs.

R00fles!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I can't bitch about DA or Risen because I haven't played any of them yet ...

Ah well, this is the Codex after all. They're both shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom