Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire Bloodlines Character Development

^^^

remiq.net_5409.jpg

okay, enough with the jap racism

denizsi

Arcane
<Narrator thinks to himself: just wait until you get a good taste of an American dick, you fuckwhore. Mmm oh yeah>

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A person can use sword relatively easily even if he never hold it before. It's simple everyone seen knife before. Everyone used knife in kitchen. Everyone knows he shouldn't hold the knife on blade, the handle is less sharp. Everyone knows the knife can cut, and thrust. Everyone has some cooking skills which can use when he is holding the sword first time. So why all these thoughts about why a new vampire can use sword at all?

Now the problem would appear when his opponent would parry. A person who didn't at least few times try to use sword in private can find his sword is flying into his face after his opponent properly parried.

Lets look at mechanics of Vampire pnp. The character has, even with zero melee skill, at least one point in strength and dexterity. Sword skill in Bloodlines is Melee + Strength, which means unskilled strong character has an edge against unskilled normal character. According to pnp rules a Vampire with 3 points in strength and two points in melee is leap and bounds above normal characters. A Vampire with 1 melee point, and 4 strength points would have edge against a master with 3 melee points and 1 strength points. The difference in Strength is simply too large and certain techniques will not work.

Also they are using katana replicas, the real katana is stronger.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gosling said:
The kuei-jin are not exclusively chinese, they can be japanese, korean, etc. Though they are mainly chinese in the game, and their entire area is a friggin Chinatown. And yeah, it's kinda retarded that they use japanese weapons.
I guess katanas just look cooler to an average westerner.

chinese_sword_04.jpg

31236.jpg

Looks better to me than katanas, but yeah... most people think Asian sword = katana.

.Sigurd

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Looks better to me than katanas, but yeah... most people think Asian sword = katana.
Agreed.
Also, katana is a pretty bad weapon against armored opponents (like padded/boiled leather).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
a sword is only a katana if it is worn blade-up through a belt-sash called an obi
Yes I looked at correct terminology.

On more serious note. Katana works well against padded or similar armor. I seen images on swordforum where one posted did comparisons with rest of his collection against heavy cloth armors. AFAIK he didn't dare to risk his 400000$ hand made katana against chain.

Murk

Arcane
The fact that he paid 400,000 for a katana is somewhat unnerving to me.

I believe Katanas were used for the tarantino-effect and because having one model of a sword that is re-paletted is much easier than having multiple models of a weapon that ultimately does the same thing (and probably has similar stats).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I doubt he paid that much when he bought it. However real antiques are not cheap.

Bloodlines have three types of swords.

The cheap replica of katana. (2/3 damage of katana)
The katana.
And the enchanted blade. (aggravated damage)

BTW I just had the Straus ending.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I still need to get the Straus ending. That and the no allegiance ending. Hmmm, wonder what sorts of characters I should play for those run throughs? Already done a Toreador with firearms and Celerity, and a Malkavian with melee, Obfuscation, and Dementation. Am I missing out on anything by only playing female characters? Does gender play as big a difference as in, say, Fallout 2?

ScottishMartialArts said:
[...] Am I missing out on anything by only playing female characters? Does gender play as big a difference as in, say, Fallout 2?
As a female, seduction is slightly more useful as a diplomatic skill, though it's still inferior to persuasion. You also have an alternate solution to Romero's mission. That's about it. As a male, you don't really get anything special. I suppose there might be an occasion or two where you'd get a seduction line females otherwise wouldn't be able to, but I'm not entirely sure (maybe in the Giovanni mansion). In short, gender is mostly meaningless (outside of appearance).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
For the Strauss ending you should go Tremere imo. Just makes more sense.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Volrath said:
For the Strauss ending you should go Tremere imo. Just makes more sense.

But it is not 'Strauss ending' its 'Camarila ending'. It is pretty obvious that Camarilla wouldn't let LaCroix do his thing. You simply join the elder faction to depose the upstart prince and kill off those pesky asians.

Radisshu

Prophet
I still need to get the Straus ending. That and the no allegiance ending. Hmmm, wonder what sorts of characters I should play for those run throughs? Already done a Toreador with firearms and Celerity, and a Malkavian with melee, Obfuscation, and Dementation. Am I missing out on anything by only playing female characters? Does gender play as big a difference as in, say, Fallout 2?

I dunno, there are still plenty of seduction opportunities for male characters as well, females at clubs and closet fags/bisexuals. The only use it had for me, though, was that it made feeding really simple.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

Go gangrel for the pariah ending.

Lavoisier said:
Go gangrel for the pariah ending.

The what?

It's an easy game, don't worry too much about your character build, even if you don't know about all the free skill points you get in the game. You also don't really need a specialized diplomat since the game progresses similarly in any case, and the toughest fights you can't avoid. In short it's a linear game where your character doesn't matter.

Murk

Arcane
By pariah ending do you mean the independent ending where you don't side with any of the factions or is there a special gangrel-only ending?

If I'm not mistaken Gangrel is the only clan you can play as that is independent of any sects in the game...

Mikayel said:
By pariah ending do you mean the independent ending where you don't side with any of the factions or is there a special gangrel-only ending?

If I'm not mistaken Gangrel is the only clan you can play as that is independent of any sects in the game...
There's no special Gangrel-only ending. The pariah ending is the solo one. Which is a fitting description, really, as you're a vampire with no allies who just upset the power balance.

And, yeah, Gangrels are independent by the time Bloodlines takes place, but I don't think Troika actually considered that. (I don't have the manual on-hand, but I think they were listed as a Camarilla clan. A lot are Camarilla, anyway.)

Murk

Arcane
^ the manual says that the Gangrel clan has severed its ties to the Camarilla.

The independent ending is pretty par the course - I'm hoping to try the Kue-Jin (I always spell this wrong, probably wrong here too) ending in an upcoming playthrough - I'll probably try Nosferatu or a Toreador - I would try Tremere but Domination AND Thaumaturgy makes them way too powerful.

tindrli

Arcane
couldn't wait any longer so i started with the last one.. Ventrue. Hope that i didn't screw up

tindrli

Arcane
i have a latest unnoficial fix plus and i have a problem.. well its not a big deal but i wonder is it normal. i have subtitles ON and i don't see it all.. i mean subtitles appears normal and all that, but as the text goes to the end on the sentence it doesn't change .. the subtitle. so i never get to actually read the last thing that NPC or whatever is saying.its not a big deal but still it sucks as this is my first playthrough

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom