Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
anus_pounder said:
I agree with the beach episode though.

Anyway, I heard they made an anime out of it. Any of you 'Ask me about Anime' guys seen it yet? I'm loath to watch it as I would much rather play the fights than watch them.
I hear it fucked up everything.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vaarna_Aarne said:
anus_pounder said:

Anyway, I heard they made an anime out of it. Any of you 'Ask me about Anime' guys seen it yet? I'm loath to watch it as I would much rather play the fights than watch them.
From the trailers I saw it looked like a really retarded piece of weeboo shit (evil loli included). I'm not being sarcastic right now.

anus_pounder

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
anus_pounder said:

From the trailers I saw it looked like a really retarded piece of weeboo shit (evil loli included). I'm not being sarcastic right now.

:x

Vaarna_Aarne

So I bought and played the two DLC missions today. Though just slightly longer than a Report, at 3.50 I'm very happy with them.

It was also awesome to see the gigantic faggot get screen time.

Vaarna_Aarne

anus_pounder said:
You mean the literal Lancer Faggot? I hear hes one of the best lancers.
Yea, he's one of the best, and his number 2 and 3 potentials are ridiculously good for teamwork (Fancies Men and Largo Lover). The only potential he's missing is the Anti-Armor Boost, which would work wonders in fights against giant tanks.

In the Edy Detachment DLC, it also helps you've got the best sniper (Marina, who has 100% hit accuracy when you level her up enough) and one of the best shocktroopers (Edy, who has Melee Skills, Super Damage and Undodgeable Shot).

Vaarna_Aarne

In the usual 10 characters set up, full list...

Welkin
Zaka
Alicia
Rosie
Largo
Edy or Hannes
Vyse
Nadine
Marina
Cezary or Melville or Jann

You really don't need other scouts than Alicia, since she's overwhelmingly the best scout in the game. Cezary has bonuses against enemy snipers, which can be extremely handy, particularly before you get Marina. For the most part, Lancers aren't as necessary as you would think, as the distances involved makes it much more feasible to simply use Edelweiss' mobility and shoot the radiators of the enemy tanks once I drive behind them, but if frontal attack is necessary (ie, giant boss tanks) it's better to use Lancers due to the halved CP cost of activating them. I always have at least two forward shocktroopers in most missions, as by the end game the flamethrower is a godsent weapon in your arsenal, and even without it they can mop up defended camps with ease (lone camps are easily taken by Alicia single-handedly with her massive AP, grenade and accurate rifle). Nadine is my engineer of choice because of her potentials (Repair Boost) and activating Sibling Ties for Welkin. I'm not sure if it or Power of Love is better overall, but Sibling Ties has a massive accuracy boost which is great for Edelweiss.

The trick to using Zaka's tank is to equip it with either the gatling gun or the flamethrower. Shamrock's mobility isn't that much better than that of the Edelweiss, and the mortar and AT shell on Shamrock kinda suck for damage and can't get enough accuracy boosts. However, the flamethrower is a total killing machine against any group of Imperial footsoldiers, and the more the better. With a long 180 degree arc that entirely ignores popamole and does even more damage than Edelweiss' mortar, often you can just tie up an entire front with Shamrock alone (ie, that one mission where you have to destroy the two mortar tanks at the opposite ends of the map). I haven't tried out the gatling gun, but I guess it's good for sniping infantry, unless it get interception fire too.

EDIT: As for the two certain non-essential characters, Vyse and Marina are no-brainer picks. Vyse is the best shocktrooper (though not by a large margin), as he doesn't have any real negatives (Child of Nature isn't as bad as you might assume) and his combo of Melee Skills, Challenge Lover (which fires all the time at the latter half of the game), Super Damage and Undodgeable Shot is simply fantastic. Marina, as said before, has 100% accuracy at the end-game which alone makes her the best sniper, as well as excellent potentials for a sniper (she gets evasion bonuses when going solo and bonuses when on a vantage point like a tower, for example).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am playing VC2 on my borrowed PSP and its fun. Missions are getting harder as time passes which at last provides some challenge, gameplay is quite good too. The only problem I have with this is the constant reusing of maps...

Vaarna_Aarne

I guess I'd like VC2, and I am extremely grateful for it being a sequel that doesn't carry characters over, since Squad 7's story was very neatly tied up and all finished.

Also, the second mission in Selvaria's DLC was extremely challenging. You have to get this fragile engineer dude to Selvaria half-way across the map through snipers and shocktroopers (who must not reach Selvaria first). It was very satisfying to finally succeed in maneuvering Johann there succesfully. After you can use Selvaria though, the rest is a cakewalk since she's basically a sniper, shocktrooper and scout rolled into one with a ridiculously powerful weapon which I'd believe everyone remembers from her boss fight in Ghirlandaio both as a good challenge and THAT FUCKING GUN.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Scouts : Alicia is obvious, though I try to use her as little as possible. I would love to use Susie (and I often do before her 4th 'potential') but I simply can't take the chance that she doesn't attack. So I use Wavy instead.

Shocks : Rosie is obvious, though I try to use her as little as possible. I generally use Edy or Jane. Or all 3, I'm big on Shocktroopers, whether better units can be deployed or not.

Lancers : Largo is obvious, though I try to use him as little as possible. Elysse and Walter I tend to use instead, especially Elysse.

Engineers : Homer or Nadine. Mostly the first.

Snipers : Catherine or Cezary. Marina now and then.

The Edelweiss and Shamrock, obviously. Though I try to use them as little as possible.

Malakal said:
I am playing VC2 on my borrowed PSP and its fun. Missions are getting harder as time passes which at last provides some challenge, gameplay is quite good too. The only problem I have with this is the constant reusing of maps...

Gameplay in VC2 is very good.

I also like how they added tons more to secondary characters.

Only thing i didn't like was main character being constant asshole and main story could use some improvements.

Chapter 11. Just got the shamrock. Going to catch up on the skirmishes I haven't touched yet. This game seems to blend some cool gameplay elements from ja such as squad mechanics with a really innovative way to make combat fresh without dumbing anything down. I wish A western studio would make a game with a similar engine.

Vaarna_Aarne

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Chapter 11. Just got the shamrock. Going to catch up on the skirmishes I haven't touched yet. This game seems to blend some cool gameplay elements from ja such as squad mechanics with a really innovative way to make combat fresh without dumbing anything down. I wish A western studio would make a game with a similar engine.
Didn't we have that one article around here where a bunch of Nips were making fun of Western games for discrediting turn-based so much?

One thing I really like is how they introduced the radiators on tanks to appear to be a weakness you're going to be exploiting a lot, but instead it's actually YOUR weakness when you get down to brass-tacks. They also did a very good job with the whole "real-time" mode, with the real-time element being entirely about interception fire being one of your worst enemies and greatest tools.

EDIT: By the way, anyone remember Yahtzee's review of this? I'm still trying to wrap my head around as to how he managed to characterize Alicia as angry and immature. Then again, he didn't even scroll down the upgrade screens, so what the hell.

(it was still funny though)

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
You want to see your head warp into another dimension? Visit the comments under the VC review... and hold the fuck on.

Vaarna_Aarne

Codexer's Log, stardate 24211 ITZ, dark side of the internets:

Wait, why the fuck are people being punished for being excited about a review in anticipation?

Whoa, talk about a bunch of blind followers of their prophet. I don't dare to go look at the comments of his TW review now. Not to mention using 10-minute entertainment in review format as your be-all-end-all deciding factor for purchasing games.

Wait, is Yahtzee and everyone else using the low-quality English voice-overs?

I don't think any of these people ever played JA2 or even Silent Storm. VC is a lot more merciful than they were.

You know, by this point I'm starting to wonder if people are actually understanding the way Japanese draw people nowadays. It seems people are focusing a lot on how an art style draws all young people, rather than what they're supposed to represent in the art style.

God, I'm just two pages in and this is already way more inane than all of /gd/.

There's almost as much cock-sucking as in the hypothetical day of salvation when MCA appears in the Codex once more. Though here, it's the inane metaphorical variety instead of healthy physical love.

Storm clouds are gathering now. This could get interesting if it goes into plane tickets territory.

I'm starting to remember why Codex is the most prestigious of all. It's just so goddamn inane and boring everywhere else.

Still no plane tickets in sight. These people have no honour. Like a woman.

I can feel my brain withering from the boring. WW, you got my hopes up expecting some weapons-grade stupid. This is just basic internet inanity so far.

Why is the single prestigious person in this thing the guy with a fucking RAPPER in his avatar?

Five pages since first storm clouds, and no rain. Fuck.

Hey, it's phelot's old avatar.

Finally some retardation, but it's really just being functionally illiterate.

Wait, is this WW guy some Codex Commando? He's talking awfully lot about JA2 and Bethout being rape. This could get interesting, since that post might scar fragile non-Codex-hardened egos and lead to serious business.

Yay, finally a retard brigade marches in! Goddamn, it only took thirteen fucking pages. Well, at least it's entertaining now.

This WW guy is Polish too. Definately a Codex Commando.

And back to inanity, and then it's finally over.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I dream of a world where a genre of a game is not determent by the country of it's orgin but by the content of it's gameplay...
I got to admit, I like this. It has a nice ring to it.

Vaarna_Aarne

WhiskeyWolf said:
I dream of a world where a genre of a game is not determent by the country of it's orgin but by the content of it's gameplay...
I got to admit, I like this. It has a nice ring to it.
Well, isn't Official Kodex Konsensus that PS:T and Anachronox are JRPGs?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
anus_pounder said:

Vyse gets killed 10 minutes after his first appearance.
Take from that as you will.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Didn't they also make Alicia into a tsundere?
:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom