Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Didn't some faggots here say it's a really good game?

Well, those faggots were totally right. I haven't had tactical turn-based squad combat since Silent Storm, and since I'm early into the game, it'll probably be better than Sentinels. Not to mention it's got graphics that will be like fine wine.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why aren't games like this ported to the PC where they would do better than the shit they DO port which is usually action crap or survival horror crap which conversely is better on a console?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Don't forget the "Why doesn't Alicesoft translate their games into English?"

Silellak

Cipher
Vaarna_Aarne said:

Well, those faggots were totally right. I haven't had tactical turn-based squad combat since Silent Storm, and since I'm early into the game, it'll probably be better than Sentinels. Not to mention it's got graphics that will be like fine wine.
:bro:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Silellak said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

:bro:

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Besides the anime faggotry, Valkyria Chronicles is awesome. I enjoyed it tremendously. I was pretty disappointed when the sequel was PSP exclusive.

I'd love to see Valkyria Chronicles with bigger maps, or an overworld or something. My only gameplay-related complain was the maps were too small.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
After watching various gameplay videos on Youtube, I have to say that the voice acting and probably the English translation are very bad. The game looks pretty fun, though, even despite the anime art-style.

Too bad it's on the PS3, though.

Vaarna_Aarne

That's why I sighed in relief when I saw the option to use Japanese voices. I for one like the anime art style, they really made the most out of cell-shading, and it gives the game's looks a lot more personality.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I for one like the anime art style, they really made the most out of cell-shading, and it gives the game's looks a lot more personality.

The art style is fine. It's nice, even.

What I do mind is all the 'am I kawaii :3' shit. Still, the game is outstanding so it's not a huge deal.

Vaarna_Aarne

That piglet they have still sounds and looks like some kind of harbinger of the apocalypse.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I noted it with mild interest when it was just released. But I already have an XBawks. I'm not going to decline my apartment further by getting a PS3 to play a wapanese game. I may give it a whirl in a couple of years when some clever people release a PS3 emulator.

I'm mildly confused that people still want to release console exclusive titles in this day and age. I know you're probably going to score a few cheap favours from MS/Sony by doing so, but you're still cutting out half your potential customers.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ulminati said:
I noted it with mild interest when it was just released. But I already have an XBawks. I'm not going to decline my apartment further by getting a PS3 to play a wapanese game. I may give it a whirl in a couple of years when some clever people release a PS3 emulator.

I'm mildly confused that people still want to release console exclusive titles in this day and age. I know you're probably going to score a few cheap favours from MS/Sony by doing so, but you're still cutting out half your potential customers.

You should sell your xbox it is way more :decline: then the PS3.

Castanova

Prophet
Meh. I liked the game for a while until it became clear that many missions are designed basically as trick maps / "puzzles" which, after quickly solving, you are forced to beat by painfully playing out over the next hour. If the game allowed you to beat the missions in a more free-form manner then we might have something here.

Vaarna_Aarne

I quite liked the puzzle approach they had with missions, especially since they've clearly put a lot of effort so far into keeping things fresh and introducing new elements at every turn. It's one regard where it's definately better than Jagged Alliance 2, where at least by the second half you knew the drill even if you had more stuff to fuck around with.

In fact, I think they have a pretty good design philosophy in that: The game just focuses on having good combat as far as gameplay goes and doesn't even try to make a half-assed open world map or anything like that to supplement it. If you're gonna have a feature, make it good.

Anyway, XBawx is way more decline than the PS3.

Castanova

Prophet
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I quite liked the puzzle approach they had with missions, especially since they've clearly put a lot of effort so far into keeping things fresh and introducing new elements at every turn.

I agree in principle but not in execution. It's irritating to solve the puzzle only to lose your progress because you failed a roll or something. Sometimes things in turn 2 can bite you in the ass in turn 8 or whatever. In that regard, a mission isn't fresh if you're playing it for the second time.

Vaarna_Aarne

Castanova said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I quite liked the puzzle approach they had with missions, especially since they've clearly put a lot of effort so far into keeping things fresh and introducing new elements at every turn.

I agree in principle but not in execution. It's irritating to solve the puzzle only to lose your progress because you failed a roll or something. Sometimes things in turn 2 can bite you in the ass in turn 8 or whatever. In that regard, a mission isn't fresh if you're playing it for the second time.
Well, that's part of the challenge. Besides, the turn limits are quite generous, so you can take the careful approach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom