Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Finished the game just damn. Hot damn it kept getting more incline all the way to the end, and then it was over and I was teh happies. Sure, the story isn't something mind-blowing like PS:T or KotOR2, but it's a damn good war/fantasy/romance story.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have never finished it.

About 6 months ago my PS3 Broke so i lost my save data after i had gotten to the last few missions.

Vaarna_Aarne

Remember when we talked about the fact how in many RPGs (Obsidian in general being an exception) it's absolutely bizarre how the party can stick together when they seem hate each other so much? Well, that certainly isn't the case in Valkyria, since Squad 7 is a real band of bros.

The Codex probably rejoices over the fact there's a gigantic faggot you can have in your team.

EDIT: Also, I gotta give the story mad props for being very mature (in the real sense, not in that it has gore and swearing which it doesn't), and that a major point of it was that having special powers is not pure awesome and something you should rely on (along with the fact our protagonist Welkin doesn't have special powers).

It's similar to why Superman is such a great character. It's not because of what his powers are, but the fact he'd still be a hero to the utmost limits he is able to be, and he does this on numerous occasions. Possibly the only memorable scenes in Infinite Crisis were when Superman and Kal-L fly Superboy Prime through Rao and depower each other. And Superman proceeds to win the day by knocking out Prime presumably while being pretty much human (it was in a field littered with kryptonite, being in the Krypton solar system, and Prime is not affected by Earth-1 kryptonite).

There's a scene in Valkyria where it's also made clear that relying solely on special powers gets you nowhere, and it was a very touching and well-made finale scene for the main romance plot thread (hint to Bioware: You don't resolve that shit mid-game, you resolve it at the finale).

KalosKagathos

Learned
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Finished the game just damn. Hot damn it kept getting more incline all the way to the end, and then it was over and I was teh happies. Sure, the story isn't something mind-blowing like PS:T or KotOR2, but it's a damn good war/fantasy/romance story.
Actually, I thought the game fell apart a bit in the later missions, balance-wise. Any scout buffed with orders can cross a map, raping everything in his path, in 1-2 turns. Still, the endgame had some great scenarios, like destroying Jaeger's tank.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, there never really was a problem with the blitz capability, since the later missions were for the most part boss fight types where it wasn't an overwhelming advantage.

I was talking more about the whole package anyway. Gameplay-wise let's rather say it never dropped in quality, but rather that it upped the story stakes to eleven.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Taking on Jaeger's Tank was damn hard for a strategy retard like me. Was overjoyed when I succeeded.

As much I'm loath to admit it, I did like the story and characters.

Vaarna_Aarne

I don't know how, but I managed to ignore myself.

anus_pounder said:
Taking on Jaeger's Tank was damn hard for a strategy retard like me. Was overjoyed when I succeeded.

As much I'm loath to admit it, I did like the story and characters.
The trick with Jaeger's tank is to keep Edelweiss with Nadine right after it, and use Marina to take out enemy lancers, and have Alicia and shocktroopers take camps.

Though I don't see why it's a bad thing to admit to liking the story and the characters. The game has a very well-made albeit trope-using story, and extremely likable characters who go through character development as well.

anus_pounder

Arcane
What? Use specific characters? Screw that, I did it with the characters I liked.

Also, I'm a bit confused. Exactly how does one use the Shamrock (or whatever the light tank was). I used it very few times throughout the game, mostly to take out/help take out the occasional soldier, but I really don't see anything essential in using it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Two words: Shamrock's Flamethrower.

EDIT: Well, outside of the main cast, the characters are the semi-faceless types common to better tactical games, but the main cast is completely likable (or despisable, in case of prince douchebag) and do go through character development. I'd actually say Alicia is almost like a case study for creating a girl-next-door character.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I take it back. Probably the hardest level for me was that one where you have to disable the giant tank in the desert. Taking out the turrets and all were easy, it was when that imperial chick with the big tits went super saiyan that I had a difficult time.
Admittedly, I was still fairly new to the game when I did that level. I'll probably start a new game and check it out again.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
You mean taking out Selvaria. Yeah she is a bitch but finding out she can't do shit to a tank was amusing. Mentioned to get mostly A ranks in all the missions in VC. Also got the DLC too. Only went through a few of em. Also bought myself VC2 for the psp. Waiting on VC3. Haha.

Selvaria was a good character too bad Prince Maximillian was a douchebag. (Bonus character along with Selvaria and Isara in VC2).

Well back to beating VC2 or something.

Vaarna_Aarne

Actually, I'll tip my hat to the fact they never made Maximilian into more than just a manipulative power-hungry douchebag, or made it so he had orchestrated rescuing Selvaria from the research facility.

EDIT: Though was his ultimate douchebaggery abusing Selvaria's love like that, or all the death and destruction his ambition caused? Though the two kinda tie together to form a douchebag singularity.

Vaarna_Aarne

You know, since it's Valentine's Day and all that shit, let's talk about the thing Bioware can't write to save their life and VC did superbly. The Codex is going to talk about love once again, god help us all.

Now, I'd say the big issue with video game romance (Bioware especially) is that this plot-thread is treated completely separate from the main game and doesn't seem to have any kind of resolution tied into the main characters' character progression. The current Bioware gold standard being a sex scene either right after you meet or as an announcement that the final third of the game is starting. The thing is, none of the romances in Mass Effects or Dragon Ages matter jack shit in the overall narrative. There is no sense of build-up, synch between characters or resolution that is important to the characters involved. No, it's all about the fact the PC is awesome.

In fact, I'd say Bioware once took a few baby-steps towards writing a romance right, being the subplot between the PC and Bastila in KotOR. And they still utterly fucked up on it with the usual fashion, having a romantic resolution mid-game and then making the actual final encounter drawn-out and half-assed (you fight Bastila, like, two or three times before the whole Sith angle is resolved, not to mention it was one of the worst Dark Side turns ever to begin with). I mean, at least they tried to construct something important into the endgame. However, it still falls flat on its face simply because the characters seem to have no other attraction beyond the PC being awesome.

This is actually what I'm talking about when I say the cut Neeshka romance is one of the best in WRPGs: Because there's only one, but very significant, throw-away line present in the dialogue before the very final battle, it ends up having build-up and resolution at a significant point. The line and the response dialogue also enforced it as two characters making through the toughest spot in the story for them.

It's similar how the whole main romance plot in VC is handled, and it gets points for being fully intentional and because it bears significance to the overall plot and actually is the moment when Welkin and Squad 7 are really ready to go and save the day. It works as a climax for several plot-threads along the main couple's romance as well, being how it's the end for the argument started by Welkin and Faldio and Alicia's Valkyrian heritage subplot. Then there's the fact that this time the two characters actually do have a great deal of synch and build-up to this moment, and the moment itself is built as the kind of thing you'd WANT to happen to them.

Sure, this part of VC isn't out to re-invent the wheel or anything, but by golly it does a damn fine job with the old-fashioned set-up.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
This, Demons Souls and a couple of others make me really want a PS3. But I'm not fucking buying one.

So steal one. We steal the fucking games, why not the hardware to play them on? :smug:

Loved VC too. I was so goddamn mad when I heard VC2 was PSP only. I have one, but I never fucking play it because I discovered I fucking hate playing games on a tiny screen (especially ones I've played on a big screen).

:x

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, I don't bear a grudge against VC2 being PSP because they didn't continue the characters or story from the previous game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'm with Vaarna on that one. Hopefully, the 3rd game will not only be on the PS3, but won't make so many references to the 2nd game that I end up having to buy a PSP.

Vaarna_Aarne

According to Wikipedia, the third game doesn't even share the overall story structure of the war (Gaiden), along with having an entirely different cast. It's still PSP.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm getting them today, since I hear the one with Edy and other non-main characters is basically more of the same good stuff, and that the one about Selvaria is more of the good stuff too.

Besides, at 3,50 euros a piece, I can't complain even if they'd be just one or two chapters.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I played it for a while, but then I played the optional part of the game that was more or less a beach episode.
The pure levels of weeaboo really put me off for quite awhile.
Also, for a game that's apparently really well written, it does contradict itself constantly with the messages it's trying to send out.
I mean, we're apparently supposed to sympathize with the Imperial Army in that DLC, but we've been shown that they're Nazi Analogues and act like it, often coming off as cartoonishly villainous. We're apparently supposed to think Faldio is a heartless bastard for shooting Alicia and activating her Valkryia powers, but then at the same time we're never shown any alternatives, and it's outright said that without Alicia's power Europa would've lost. We're supposed to fear the Valkyr for their genocidal capabilites because they more or less represent the Atomic Bomb, but in the process that'd be vilifying an entire race of people and severely undercutting the anti-racism message they're creating.
I mean, it's leagues above Bethesda's writing talents, but the next Deus Ex it is not.

Vaarna_Aarne

Only that one Imperial captain (the torturer with the moustache) and the general with the eyeglasses were the only ones that really qualified as evil of sorts with Maximilian among named characters (and even then you must bear in mind Maximilian court martialed the captain). Otherwise the game does go to make a distinction between dudes just fighting a war and dudes who go out to round up Jew stand-ins.

I would say actually showing the characters come up with an alternative to what Faldio did would have actually been much more of a contradiction, since otherwise Faldio's decision wouldn't be as much of a last resort. What made it a douchebag move was the way he did it. And of course, Faldio was never even at that point portrayed as a bad dude, just someone who broke the trust of his bros.

As for the Valkyria business, it was more to do with the actual (now functionally extinct) Valkyrur rewriting history and putting the blame on another people. What the Valkyrian power plotline was about was that Gallia shouldn't rely on such special powers, since then Gallians themselves wouldn't be able to defend themselves. And at the end of things Squad 7 did disable the Valkof and stop Maximilian with just their tanks and guns.

Not to mention neither of the two actual Valkyrias the game has are bad people. Now, Alicia is obvious in this, as she's the kind-hearted girl-next-door, but Selvaria is really just a woman who unconditionally loved a man who saw her just as a disposable asset worth less than his giant tanks.

I would definately say VC is better written than Deus Ex. What it doesn't match is the usual MCA writing catalogue.

EDIT: You know, it shows it's miles ahead of Bethesda and Bioware when you can talk about the writing like this, without having a brain tumor develop from the stupid of the subject matter.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I agree with the beach episode though.

Anyway, I heard they made an anime out of it. Any of you 'Ask me about Anime' guys seen it yet? I'm loath to watch it as I would much rather play the fights than watch them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom